Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]

Author Topic: Do you rat-a-tat-tat-tat?  (Read 12159 times)

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
Do you rat-a-tat-tat-tat?
« on: April 02, 2007, 09:04:54 AM »

I was hoping the new motor, 07 110", would have a quieter top-end than the '99 I've got. Nope!

Especially annoying is the 1,800 - 2,400 RPM range. All I hear is rat-a-tat-tat rat-a-tat-tat bouncing off of the fairing and right up to my ears. Peeses me off I say.

I saw in another thread an issue of rocker box clearance on the 110's, and Dandy Don's reference to that possibly being the issue.

Here's a couple of quetions for y'all.....

1) Do you hear it too?
2) What RPM range is it the worst?
3) Have you found a way to eliminate it other than louder speaker / pipe combinations?
4) Should I just suck it up and go away?

Chief

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE
    • CVO3: 2002 FXDWG3
Re: Do you rat-a-tat-tat-tat?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2007, 09:19:39 AM »

I had lots of noises that were lubricated away when I switched to Mob 1.  I still have Harley noises.

Syn 3 didn't seem to lubricate as well and the little gremlins with the hammers were throughout the beast.  If you haven't made a change it would be an inexpensive and quick way to possibly reduce the annoying noises without getting deeper into the motor issues. IMHO

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2007, 09:25:10 AM »

I had lots of noises that were lubricated away when I switched to Mob 1.  I still have Harley noises.

Syn 3 didn't seem to lubricate as well and the little gremlins with the hammers were throughout the beast.  If you haven't made a change it would be an inexpensive and quick way to possibly reduce the annoying noises without getting deeper into the motor issues. IMHO

I switched to Amsoil at 500 miles. Still got them rat-a-tat-tatters.

Chief

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE
    • CVO3: 2002 FXDWG3
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2007, 09:31:59 AM »

I switched to Amsoil at 500 miles. Still got them rat-a-tat-tatters.

Chief

OK, looks like you're going diving, bummer.

TimBone

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2007, 10:51:55 AM »

I have them too, right around the 2000-2500 range and I am running Mobil1.
I read a while back on this site that one fella had the rocker arms banging the
covers on his 110.  Not too pleasant to hear that.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2007, 10:57:56 AM »

Not having the 110 I've not had to chase this (or the overheating or.... well, never mind).  But it'd seem this clearance issue is something you could feel or hear directly as well.  While the engine is still cool enough to do so lay a hand on the rocker boxes and see if you feel the contact resonate through the box.  Alternatively might try laying a stick, long socket extension or other solid object (hey, even a stethoscope) on the rocker box and put an ear against the other end of it.  If there's rocker arm contact it ought to sound like a chorus line bringing its heels down.

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2007, 11:06:14 AM »

Not having the 110 I've not had to chase this (or the overheating or.... well, never mind).  But it'd seem this clearance issue is something you could feel or hear directly as well.  While the engine is still cool enough to do so lay a hand on the rocker boxes and see if you feel the contact resonate through the box.  Alternatively might try laying a stick, long socket extension or other solid object (hey, even a stethoscope) on the rocker box and put an ear against the other end of it.  If there's rocker arm contact it ought to sound like a chorus line bringing its heels down.

Just the way it goes around here. When I had the box tops off doing the 12-point thing, the clearance issue had not surfaced. Not two weeks after it all gets put back together, the news comes out. Figures.

Chief

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2007, 11:08:01 AM »

That's got to be enough to make one say a bad word or three.  Off and apart and never a reason to think to turn them upside down and really look.  Ouch....

Hey, at least the tank comes off easy on these things.

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2007, 11:15:18 AM »

That's got to be enough to make one say a bad word or three.  Off and apart and never a reason to think to turn them upside down and really look.  Ouch....

Hey, at least the tank comes off easy on these things.

But Daaadddddddd........

I don't want tooooooooo..............

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2007, 11:29:37 AM »

But Daaadddddddd........

I don't want tooooooooo..............

There's got to be some way to rationalize this.  Surely there's an evening where Pinkie has some nasty Jacqueline Suzanne (sic?) type movie on or something and a little "guy time" is mandated?  Or.... maybe......   you just need a little more practice polishing those bolt heads  :nixweiss: ?

IronButt

• Banned
  • Senior CVO Member
  • HOME LAND SECURITY!

• CVO1: 2012 SE7 (10/15/11)
    • CVO2: 2007 UC-110 SE
    • CVO3: 1965 FLH
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2007, 11:35:12 AM »

I was hoping the new motor, 07 110", would have a quieter top-end than the '99 I've got. Nope!

Especially annoying is the 1,800 - 2,400 RPM range. All I hear is rat-a-tat-tat rat-a-tat-tat bouncing off of the fairing and right up to my ears. Peeses me off I say.

I saw in another thread an issue of rocker box clearance on the 110's, and Dandy Don's reference to that possibly being the issue.

1) Do you hear it too?
3) Have you found a way to eliminate it other than louder speaker / pipe combinations

Chief

Same as you. Mine has SE HD springs. I ask the dealer, he pulled it apart, 3200 miles no scars on the underside of the boxes, IE no clearance issues..
Again my dealer and MOCO going the extra mile to satisify their customers.

They could have just said its normal, but they pulled it apart to check. :2vrolijk_21:

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2007, 11:39:48 AM »

Same as you. Mine has SE HD springs. I ask the dealer, he pulled it apart, 3200 miles no scars on the underside of the boxes, IE no clearance issues..
Again my dealer and MOCO going the extra mile to satisify their customers.

They could have just said its normal, but they pulled it apart to check. :2vrolijk_21:

That's the real pain in the arse with problems like this.  Anecdotal reports of several.  Reports that are obviously credible.  So you really do know it's going on.  Then your ears and brain start messing with you.  Sooner or later you've got to check just to avoid the creepie crawlies every time you ride.

Billy

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2007 SERK
    • CVO2: 2014 SERK
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2007, 08:01:51 PM »

1) Do you hear it too?
3) Have you found a way to eliminate it other than louder speaker / pipe combinations?

Chief
 i have the same noice. i have not asked harley about it . As soon as my bars are done i will bring the bike in and ask about the problem . My bike was del in Oct so I think this could be the problem.  Billy
2014 SERK Tribal Orange Wild one 501 apes Powder coated gloss black, Mustang Seat with backrest, King tour pack with smoked lights, LED aux lights, CD Dynamic front ringz, CD custom license plate with LED turns and brake light, Zumo 660 mounted on bar, Klock Werks 17 inch Flare windshield, Saddle bag guards, Added LED turn indicators in handle bar cover, Engine guard foot pegs

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2007, 08:30:38 PM »

Chief
 i have the same noice. i have not asked harley about it . As soon as my bars are done i will bring the bike in and ask about the problem . My bike was del in Oct so I think this could be the problem.  Billy

Thanks Billy. I'll be interested in what they have to say. I'm guess ing it's going to be something like "They all do that."

Chief

cigarmike

« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2007, 08:58:08 PM »

My '06 does it too, sounds like its coming from top end.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2007, 10:58:36 AM by Mike L »

JDOFLHRIDER

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
  • 2010 FLHTCUSE5 BURNT AMBER -HOT CITRUS
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2007, 09:15:28 PM »

I USED TOO,CHANGED SOUND'S BY MESSING WITH HEAT SHIELDS .(ONE WAS SHIELD HITTING FRONT EXHAUST STUD,OVERLAPPING SHIELDS AND LAST BACK HEAT SHIELD ) I WOULD PULL IN DRIVE -THRU CARRY OUT AND CHIRPPING SOUND DRIVE ME NUTS.FIXED FINALLY WHEN PUT D-D PIPE ON.QUIET NOW. RIDE SAFE JDO

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2007, 12:10:25 PM »

On my SERK, noises seem to be worse with the mini-me wind deflector.

I am now trying to locate the source of a very annoying whistle above 30MPH, and no it is not the police.
I think I know why so many of you have radios.

:D :D :D :D

:huepfenjump3:
Any day on the bike is a good day.

FLYNDYNA

• Dyna Screaming Eagle
  • 1K CVO Member
  • My Little Pepe` the CVO Donkey

• CVO1: '07 FXDSE V&H Big Shot Staggered SERT K&N A/C Custom Seat
    • CVO2: '09 Road Glide-waiting for lottery
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2007, 10:26:22 PM »

I haven't noticed an overabundance of engine noise, but I have gear noise from the transmission on accelleration in 4th and 5th gears between 2800-3700 rpm's. I have been told it is normal, and haven't seen any metal in the tranny fluid. Anyone else experiencing this noise? I had heard about the clearance issues with the rockers, so I have been keeping an ear out for it...
I am so non conformist I have conformed to non conformity
I was going to procrastinate, but I put it off

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2007, 09:16:52 AM »

I haven't noticed an overabundance of engine noise, but I have gear noise from the transmission on accelleration in 4th and 5th gears between 2800-3700 rpm's. I have been told it is normal, and haven't seen any metal in the tranny fluid. Anyone else experiencing this noise? I had heard about the clearance issues with the rockers, so I have been keeping an ear out for it...
I have the tranny noise in 5th gear starting at around 2500 rpms and gets louder when accelerating.  Took it to the shop to have them listen to it, they said it's normal, but it can be lessened by putting tranny fluid in instead of using the Syn3.  I've also heard Mobil 1 and Amsoil will lessen the sound too.  I'm changing over to Mobil 1 at my next service. 
Cheers :2vrolijk_21:,
  :devil:

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

Serkcus

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 07 Candy Cobalt SERK
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2007, 03:06:08 PM »

I have what may be a similar noise that's driving me nuts. Seems to be most noiceable at 2200 to 2800 RPM range, but is actually present at most RPM, hot or cold engine. Strange thing is that at idle it become louder at time, but not in time with motor, seeming to be more intermittant, even has almost a scraping soundas if something needs more lube??. Scary driving this thing, never knowing if your getting home or if the sucker is going to seize. My dealer, having no experience with the 110,s prefers to wait until the 1st warranty service to see if it goes away. Not sure if that means wears-in, breaks or blows up, so any fault finding will be a little easier.

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2007, 06:25:55 PM »

I have what may be a similar noise that's driving me nuts. Seems to be most noiceable at 2200 to 2800 RPM range, but is actually present at most RPM, hot or cold engine. Strange thing is that at idle it become louder at time, but not in time with motor, seeming to be more intermittant, even has almost a scraping soundas if something needs more lube??. Scary driving this thing, never knowing if your getting home or if the sucker is going to seize. My dealer, having no experience with the 110,s prefers to wait until the 1st warranty service to see if it goes away. Not sure if that means wears-in, breaks or blows up, so any fault finding will be a little easier.

If you hear a louder than expected tapping, I would guess it is the intake valve springs hitting the rocker boxes. This is very common on the 110's. I had this problem, and clearancing the rocker boxes made the motor sound like a new machine.

Panther

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2007, 04:14:47 PM »

Hey Chief....when you say they clearanced the rocker boxes, do you know exactly what they did?  The top end sounds like it is about to come apart in my new CUSE2, and I want to show up at the dealer with all the ammo I can.

Thank you.

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2007, 07:53:43 PM »

Hey Chief....when you say they clearanced the rocker boxes, do you know exactly what they did?  The top end sounds like it is about to come apart in my new CUSE2, and I want to show up at the dealer with all the ammo I can.

Thank you.
In short, the problem is the intake valve spring retainer hitting the side of the box. I didn't see it, but normal procedure would be to remove a small amound of material 30 mils or so, (0.030") just enough to allow the valves to close properly and not hit the sides of the box.

If you tell them it is the intake valve springs hitting the boxes, and they check it, you should win good points with knowing what is going on.

Best of luck to you.

Panther

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2007, 12:55:23 PM »

Excellent....many thanks.

Serkcus

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2007, 11:19:55 PM »

Had them remove the covers on mine yesterday. They found vertical scratch marks on the intake side of both box's, but they figure that it is just marks caused during assembly. Also removed the primary cover to check the chain and tensioner, which all seemed ok. Driving home had even greater level of taping noise ? Have also noticed that it has a slight miss, that is almost a very quick skip or occassional sputter and rough running engine up to 3K . Almost at my witts end trying to figure out what's wrong with this thing. Also noticed a lot of engine heat during a short ten minute ride through town this evening even though it was faily cool out. Have not noticed this level of heat before, evemn in far hotter weather. This thing is a POS! Thanks so much HD!
« Last Edit: June 09, 2007, 11:27:20 PM by Serkcus »

johnnymap

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE5

• CVO1: 2010 Burnt Amber/Citrus
    • CVO2: 2005 SEEG Two Tone Red
    • CVO3: 2000 SERG BWO
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2007, 10:42:50 AM »

At the 1000 services, I had complained about the metal to metal noise, that I thought was coming from the top end, to the service writer.  Apparently, the message did not get to the technician.  Got it back and the notes said the noise was coming from the primary and that maybe we should take the Amsoil out of the primary and put Syn3 in it.  Right.

Took it in last week, to have it dynoed on Friday.  The technician, just happend to be outside talking to another customer.  I waited to talk to him.  I explained the noise and he asked what I thought it was.  I told him that I thought it was the intake springs banging againest the rocker boxes. iI did not tell him that the experts from this site had given me heads up.  It helps to have an idea. I asked him if he had heard that kind of noise before.  He said on two or threee motors that he had built recently he had had to clearance the boxes.  He said he would ride it before he put it on the dyno.

He called Friday afternoon and said he heard the noise.  It was exactly the same noise that he had heard before.  They are going to pull it apart and he expects to have to clearance the boxes.  I have finally found a dealer that will listen to what I am saying, not just blow me off because I am not a wrench.

One more time, this site has helped me rectify a situation with one of these scoots, that probably have taken months to get done.

Should have it back on Thursday.  I will let you know how it turns out.

Thanks, guys

john
"The past is a place to be remembered, but not a place to dwell"

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2007, 11:39:33 AM »

Had them remove the covers on mine yesterday. They found vertical scratch marks on the intake side of both box's, but they figure that it is just marks caused during assembly. Also removed the primary cover to check the chain and tensioner, which all seemed ok. Driving home had even greater level of taping noise ? Have also noticed that it has a slight miss, that is almost a very quick skip or occassional sputter and rough running engine up to 3K . Almost at my witts end trying to figure out what's wrong with this thing. Also noticed a lot of engine heat during a short ten minute ride through town this evening even though it was faily cool out. Have not noticed this level of heat before, evemn in far hotter weather. This thing is a POS! Thanks so much HD!
Serkcus,

Marks caused during assembly???  Not unless the person assembling the engine took the time to rapidly move the covers up and down against the spring retainers prior to bolting everything down.  Most likely the reason it was louder on the way home is that they managed to reinstall the covers slightly closer to the valves than was originally the case.  There is a little slop in how they fit, and they will move a little during the tightening sequence.  Get an inexpensive mechanics stethescope and listen at the rocker covers - if the retainers are hitting you should pick up an obvious noise which will be loudest next to the intake valves.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Rhino

« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2007, 10:22:11 PM »

You can also use a long handled screwdriver and put your ear on the handle and you will hear it. I personally like the local neighbor nurse to come by and help with her stethoscope, but she is not always available.   

I can tell you that dealers do not like doing this type of work, but that is a long story.  I know where they hit, and its hard to explain.  I am doing mine tommorow myself for the remaining front, and hope to post some picks when done.
I luv this site.

Rhino

johnnymap

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE5

« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2007, 08:14:51 PM »

Well, I still don't have it back.  Apparently, they talked to someone at HD that told them, during assembly, they installed the wrong push rods in some of the motors.  Rods that were too short.  HD told them clearence the rocker boxes and they are sending new push rods.  I went by there this afternoon and the rods were not in.

The shop also told me they had a guy come in with another UCSE that was making more noise than mine.  In addition to mine and the other guys, there two more 07's in the shop, not just for service.

Hopefully have it back together and dynoed by Friday.  Stay tuned.

john

Panther

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2007, 09:54:37 AM »

Hey Johnnymap....do you have your bike at Dallas Harley Davidson?  If so, I am the other guy they are talking about.  I pressed the issue about this top end noise last week, and the shop foreman called HD and they laid everything out for them to fix.  They didn't mention to me they were ordering new pushrods for mine though.  While I was in there they told me they had another bike with the same issue and I suspect they were talking about your bike.  Best of luck to getting everything fixed!

johnnymap

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE5

« Reply #30 on: June 20, 2007, 05:37:01 PM »

Yes, Panther, it is.  I saw your bike there by the service desk.  They told me they got the push rod story when they called about your bike. 

I guess we will see.

john

Serkcus

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2007, 08:33:15 PM »

Picking up the bike in the AM, dealer say he talked to the MoCo who said , yes clearance the valves, replace the pushrods and rockers. My dealer says he has done the clearancing, but does not have  the needed parts,and really wants to get HD to pay for adjustable push rods. I am not highly knowledgeable about any of these issues, therefore my post here. Any recommendations on whether to use the adjustable or not. Cost is not an issue as the dealer says no cost to mefor anything to have it running great. 

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #32 on: June 23, 2007, 12:00:40 AM »

Serckus,

If your dealer is going to install them and stand behind them I would let them put them in.  I would also make sure they put it in writing that they are standing behind them.   If you feel comfortable that the wrench is a good one and that they are standing behind you for the future than I wouldn't hesitate to let them do it if it were me.   

HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

johnnymap

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE5

« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2007, 10:57:36 PM »

Got the bike back this afternoon.  Raining, so did not get to put any miles on it.  What little, I did ride it, it definately sounds differrent.  No more metal on metal sound.  Will put some miles on this weekend, if the rain lets up a little. 

Anyone need some rain, we would be happy to pass it on too you.  You would think we lived on the coast of somewhere, it has rained every afternoon, for what seems like three months.

Panther they said your bike is next.

Let us know how it turns out.

john

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #34 on: June 26, 2007, 08:35:36 AM »

Got the bike back this afternoon.  Raining, so did not get to put any miles on it.  What little, I did ride it, it definately sounds differrent.  No more metal on metal sound.  Will put some miles on this weekend, if the rain lets up a little. 

Anyone need some rain, we would be happy to pass it on too you.  You would think we lived on the coast of somewhere, it has rained every afternoon, for what seems like three months.

Panther they said your bike is next.

Let us know how it turns out.

john

John,

That's great to hear. Sure makes it a different bike.

Panther

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #35 on: June 26, 2007, 10:02:17 AM »

Will do Johnnymap....I am ecstatic you can tell a difference!

Panther

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #36 on: June 26, 2007, 10:08:25 AM »

Johnnymap....meant to ask you - did they clear the rocker box and put in new push rods, or did they just clear the rocker box?

Thanks.

johnnymap

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE5

« Reply #37 on: June 26, 2007, 05:23:35 PM »

They clearanced the rocker boxes and put in new push rods.  They said HD said the wrong push rods had been put in.  Too short.

john

mandm1

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 FLHRSE5
« Reply #38 on: June 26, 2007, 06:24:46 PM »

Johnnymap,

Congrats on getting your bike fixed. Hopefully it's smooth sailing from here on out. I'm curious as to the build date on your bike … I see from your past posts that you picked it up around 1/8/2007. I have a red Jester that was built sometime in May, and I am interested to know if H-D had a few bad pushrods get through sporadically, or if they corrected a running problem sometime during the build schedule.

Previously, I had a red '07 S.E. Road King (built 10/2006), which I traded back to the dealer recently (he treated me fairly) because of very excessive top end and primary noise. I had the rocker boxes clearanced and a factory rep looked at it two separate times, but the only results were "They all sound that way -- just ride it and don't worry !!" NOT  :o

My Jester sounds much better, but still has a little noise up top, so I am just curious.

Thanks,
Mike

johnnymap

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE5

« Reply #39 on: June 27, 2007, 08:52:24 AM »

Mike, it was built in Dec '06.  This motor was very noisy on the top end from the time I got.  It is a Harley and does have some noise in that area.  I told the sales guy about and I figured at the 1000 service when I put Amsoil in it, it would quite down.  It actually got worse.  The tech put on the work order, that next time it was in, we should try putting Syn3 back in the prmary.  I don't think he rode it or let it get hot. The bike has some primary and transmission noise, but I had not said anything about those noises.  From what I had read here, these noises on the 07's seems to be "normal".  There is an article in American Iron mag this month, about the reasons the HD six speed is noisy.  That is a whole other issue, that I would be will be addressed in the near future.  When the noise police hears enough about it, HD will have to do something.

When I took it in to have it dynoed, I complained about the noise again.  He rode it to get it hot before dynoing it and heard the noise.  He called me and said he heard the noise and what did I think it was.  I told him what I thought and he agreed.  He said he had built a couple 113's and had to do the same thing.  But at this time, he did not mention the push rods.  Only after they called for an authorization number, did HD tell them about the push rods.

Maybe if it ever stops raining, we have had 9 inches this month, three times the normal, I will be able to ride it to see if it is really fixed.

Glad your  bike seems to be okay.  The comment from your dealer that the top end noise is normal is BS.  There is normal Harley noise, but the noise that some of us are hearing is way not normal.

john

mandm1

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 FLHRSE5
« Reply #40 on: June 27, 2007, 11:00:03 AM »

Thanks, Johnnymap for the tip on the American Iron article. Hope the rain subsides for you soon (we could use a bit of rain here in Iowa ... showers only - not T-storms again, please!)

I agree that the noise some are hearing on the 110's is certainly not normal. Interesting about HD only stating wrong pushrods being installed when a repair order is submitted. I wonder if they can track a time period by VIN during which an incorrect batch was installed; or if they just go on a case-by-case basis?

Thanks Again,
Mike

Muddywaters

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 SERK
« Reply #41 on: August 26, 2008, 11:17:27 PM »

Gentlemen....searched through the forum and found this thread. I also have this top end noise, 08SERK. Sounds like my 72 LT-1 Corvette with solid lifters...lol.  Seems MoCo has not addressed this issue. I also asked the dealership,(after after a few days running...) tech rode the bike. He reported, normal gezzzzzzz! Anyone else had their boxes machined? What a great site!!!  Muddy
Save The Wave...

LRebel

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #42 on: August 26, 2008, 11:51:01 PM »

Gentlemen....searched through the forum and found this thread. I also have this top end noise, 08SERK. Sounds like my 72 LT-1 Corvette with solid lifters...lol.  Seems MoCo has not addressed this issue. I also asked the dealership,(after after a few days running...) tech rode the bike. He reported, normal gezzzzzzz! Anyone else had their boxes machined? What a great site!!!  Muddy

Muddy,
My 08 SEUC has had the top-end noise since it was new.  Had it back to the dealer where I bought it twice and to an other dealer for a gasket leak.  Both of the dealers said it is normal for the 110.... I know better >:(

I will be taking my bike in for the head replacement soon.  Already talked to another dealer 90 miles away.  The service manager knew exactly what I was talking about and said "no problem, fixed several with the same noise".  So I'm looking forward to getting it in to quiet it down.

Muddywaters

• Full CVO Member

Do you RAT-a-Tap-Tap-Tap
« Reply #43 on: August 26, 2008, 11:59:20 PM »

I did a search and came up with the following thread  http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=12405.0 I replied to the thread, but I suppose...due to it's date, would not come to surface. Having said that... I also have the same issue but, with an 08 SERK. Seems MoCo did not fix the issue since 07 ummmm. Q. Are all 110 engines having this issue? And if so, were all rockers machined? I also read were the 07's (some engines) were fitted with the wrong length of pushrods... Question again...why would an 08 engine still be fitted with these wrong pushrods? In regards to another thread...in reference to MoCo letter, regarding (Program 0906)...in which I also received this letter...seems it would be advisable to have my rockerbox machined at the same time, that is...right after they fix my locked fork issue...gezzzzzzz! Please advise. BTW I was informed today...that the damage to the RK (due to the fork issue) would be just over 3K!! Muddy The thread in regards to the fork issue is here http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=26516.0
« Last Edit: August 27, 2008, 12:09:29 AM by Muddywaters »
Save The Wave...

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
Re: Do you RAT-a-Tap-Tap-Tap
« Reply #44 on: August 27, 2008, 07:08:46 AM »

I did a search and came up with the following thread  http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=12405.0 I replied to the thread, but I suppose...due to it's date, would not come to surface. Having said that... I also have the same issue but, with an 08 SERK. Seems MoCo did not fix the issue since 07 ummmm. Q. Are all 110 engines having this issue? And if so, were all rockers machined? I also read were the 07's (some engines) were fitted with the wrong length of pushrods... Question again...why would an 08 engine still be fitted with these wrong pushrods? In regards to another thread...in reference to MoCo letter, regarding (Program 0906)...in which I also received this letter...seems it would be advisable to have my rockerbox machined at the same time, that is...right after they fix my locked fork issue...gezzzzzzz! Please advise. BTW I was informed today...that the damage to the RK (due to the fork issue) would be just over 3K!! Muddy The thread in regards to the fork issue is here http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=26516.0
Muddywaters,
No need to start a new thread when one is already existing about the subject. Having one thread w/all the information together is much easier to follow. Thanks.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

harleyguynv

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 SEUC Red & Black
« Reply #45 on: August 27, 2008, 09:51:49 AM »

I've written about this in another thread but thought I would give an update here. I had the gaskets changed at 5500 miles due to leaking. Bike has 6700 miles on it now and gaskets are leaking again. I have my 07 SEUC in for the head recall. I have been complaining about the knocking/tapping sound between 2500-3000 rpms when hot to the dealer for some time. The service manager rode the bike and agreed it was not your normal tapping sound. He called Harley and discussed it with them and they have determined it is normal and caused by the pistons. He said the pistons are very short (basically have no skirts) and this is causing the noise. He said it will run 100,000 miles with no problems. While the bike is apart the dealer measured the cylinders to see if the liners had moved. The factory said as long as they are under .006 they are within spec and they will not replace the cylinders or pistons under any circumstance. My rear one was .0045. The dealer felt the cylinders should be replaced and called Harley about it and they said no to replacing them and don't fudge the numbers because they will be checking all parts that are sent back and if they are not at least .006, they will backcharge the dealer. I guess the dealers have to send back all parts including gaskets that are warrantied on the 110's. Anyway I called customer service to discuss this noise and leaking issue. They assured me that the new gaskets will take care of all leaking problems. As far as the noise goes he said the company has taken a stand now that it is normal. I let him know I have a friend with an 07 SERK that does not make the noise. I let him know the noise I am hearing is extremely loud and not normal, period. After discussing it at great length, he talked to the people at Harley and they decided to replace the pistons and cylinders. However, they told me it will probably make the same noise and it is normal and they are only doing this for customer satisfaction. I had to agree that if it is still making the noise it is normal. So I agreed... I have to say Harley is trying to do the right thing here. 

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #46 on: August 27, 2008, 10:22:09 AM »

I've written about this in another thread but thought I would give an update here. I had the gaskets changed at 5500 miles due to leaking. Bike has 6700 miles on it now and gaskets are leaking again. I have my 07 SEUC in for the head recall. I have been complaining about the knocking/tapping sound between 2500-3000 rpms when hot to the dealer for some time. The service manager rode the bike and agreed it was not your normal tapping sound. He called Harley and discussed it with them and they have determined it is normal and caused by the pistons. He said the pistons are very short (basically have no skirts) and this is causing the noise. He said it will run 100,000 miles with no problems. While the bike is apart the dealer measured the cylinders to see if the liners had moved. The factory said as long as they are under .006 they are within spec and they will not replace the cylinders or pistons under any circumstance. My rear one was .0045. The dealer felt the cylinders should be replaced and called Harley about it and they said no to replacing them and don't fudge the numbers because they will be checking all parts that are sent back and if they are not at least .006, they will backcharge the dealer. I guess the dealers have to send back all parts including gaskets that are warrantied on the 110's. Anyway I called customer service to discuss this noise and leaking issue. They assured me that the new gaskets will take care of all leaking problems. As far as the noise goes he said the company has taken a stand now that it is normal. I let him know I have a friend with an 07 SERK that does not make the noise. I let him know the noise I am hearing is extremely loud and not normal, period. After discussing it at great length, he talked to the people at Harley and they decided to replace the pistons and cylinders. However, they told me it will probably make the same noise and it is normal and they are only doing this for customer satisfaction. I had to agree that if it is still making the noise it is normal. So I agreed... I have to say Harley is trying to do the right thing here. 

Many had a joyful noise because of rocker arms hitting rocker boxes.  That was very common for a lot of the production run.  Have them eyeball for all clearance up there very very closely.

harleyguynv

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #47 on: August 27, 2008, 11:25:52 AM »

Yes, they checked the rocker boxes the first time I had it in for the gasket repair at 5500 miles. They say they are ok. I am having them look at it again just to be sure. Again, the dealer talked to the head of drivetrains at Harley and they say the noise is caused by the short pistons. They say is is not a problem, just another noise that is normal with these larger engines. We will see if putting the new pistons and cylinders helps quiet it down at all. If not I will have to live with it I guess. I feel Harley is stepping up on this one.

Muddywaters

• Full CVO Member

Re: Do you RAT-a-Tap-Tap-Tap
« Reply #48 on: August 27, 2008, 11:27:08 AM »

Muddywaters,
No need to start a new thread when one is already existing about the subject. Having one thread w/all the information together is much easier to follow. Thanks.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:

Fired00d: Thanks for the move! No wonder I could not find my post last night. I found the thread 8 pages into the General section. Kool!!

Harleyguynv: very interesting, what to do?
TwoLaneRider: Yep, will have them look at the boxes when we do the 906 issue. Seems like it was a good idea to take out the extra 5 year warr.! Have to say though..sure like this bike...loooks good and runs like a bat out of he$$, mind the noise and brake squeal. Muddy
Save The Wave...

harleyguynv

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #49 on: August 27, 2008, 11:31:59 AM »

I meant to add that if the rockers were hitting common sense would tell me I would hear it all the time. This knocking/tapping sound is rpm sensitive between 2500-3300 rpms, only when the engine gets warmed up. The hotter the bike gets the louder the sound. I know common sense doesn't always work in these cases.

Muddywaters

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #50 on: August 27, 2008, 11:37:26 AM »

I meant to add that if the rockers were hitting common sense would tell me I would hear it all the time. This knocking/tapping sound is rpm sensitive between 2500-3300 rpms, only when the engine gets warmed up. The hotter the bike gets the louder the sound. I know common sense doesn't always work in these cases.

Thanks harleyguynv! Yes this does make common sense...but none the less, very strange. On the same token, if it is the shorter pistons, why does in not make the noise all the time? Is your engine being worked on as we speak? Needless to say, sure hope to hear your report! Thanks Muddy
« Last Edit: August 27, 2008, 11:41:23 AM by Muddywaters »
Save The Wave...

harleyguynv

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #51 on: August 27, 2008, 12:11:00 PM »

Yes, I am supposed to get it back no later than Friday. I am riding to Big Bear Ca. Saturday for the weekend. I would like to get it back a day or two early so I can but some miles on it before I leave.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #52 on: August 27, 2008, 01:43:41 PM »

The lower RPM noise could very well be piston slap and/or lifter noise. The rocker box interference would usually be heard at higher RPM's or whacking the throttle quickly. Rocker box noise is more like a "plinking" resembling "pinging", not "Rat-at Tat"! ;)

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

harleyguynv

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #53 on: August 27, 2008, 06:24:12 PM »

The best way I can explain the noise is it sounds like the rods knocking in my old 68 442 when I spun a rod bearing. Remember those days? It is a metal to metal sound only in the specific rpm range when warmed up. It is not the normal lifter noise you get on every Harley I have owned. I talked to the service Mgr today and they will be putting my bike together tomorrow. I asked him to check the flywheel endplay just to be sure it is within spec. I have been told that flywheel endplay can cause a knocking sound. Harley says it is the pistons but I just want to have every base covered that I can.

harleyguynv

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #54 on: August 29, 2008, 09:29:20 AM »

I got my bike back late yesterday and rode it about 80 miles. It is to soon to draw conclusions but so far I can say the knocking sound I was getting between 2500-3300 is gone. I will say I have allot more valve train noise, IE lifter noise with the new heads. I would rather have the lifter noise than the other noise I was experiencing. At least I know it is considered somewhat normal. I have my fingers crossed that the new cylinders and pistons/rings fixed the knocking sound. I did have them check the flywheel end play and they said it was ok. I'm taking it out today to put a few more miles on it before I head out for the weekend to Big Bear, Ca. I hope everyone has a safe weekend. Ride sale!!

harleyguynv

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #55 on: September 01, 2008, 08:31:21 PM »

For anyone who cares I now have about 800 miles on her since I had the work done. I have a just little more valve train noise than before. (not bad though) The knocking noise between 2500-3300 rpms is gone. I changed the oil today and checked the plugs and looked inside the air cleaner. The plugs are burning a nice dark/tan color and I have no oil carryover. I followed Harley's brake-in proceedure for the first 500 miles. I am very happy with the results so far. I will take it back to Dyno-Jet in another 700 miles or so to see how much difference the tune is from before. (I have a power commander it) Harley says there should not be any difference but I am sure it varies a little. We shall see....
« Last Edit: September 01, 2008, 08:43:15 PM by harleyguynv »

seultra07

« Reply #56 on: September 09, 2008, 12:42:32 AM »

Great site and thread.  Just found it a couple of weeks ago.  If I knew half of what you guys do about engines.  Here is my story.

1st bike is a 2003 Vrod, just picked up a 2007 SE Ultra in April so the wife can ride more comfortably...  Like the juice and chrome so went with the SE 110.  Now I wonder.  Bike was the dealerships owners own ride (although SoCal and I live in NorCal).  Had 3500 miles on it.  I put about 1200 miles on it and one day the oil pressure went to zero and engine light came on.  Dealer picked it up, after a week said the crankshaft was out of whack and HD was replacing the engine with a new one (same time the recall came out in August).  Old bike was fairly quiet except for of course the thunderheader slip-ons (sweet sound).  Just got the bike back, have about 200 miles on the new engine and I have the sound everyone else is talking about on this one.  Dealer said the new engine came off the line a few weeks ago with all the right updates.  I hear it around 2000-3000 rpm but more when it is warming up.  When the engine heats up is goes away a bit (e.g. after 15 minutes on the highway).  Only is quiet when I shift early and am easy on the throttle or hit it fairly hard (although I still hear it a bit then).  Going to swing it back by the dealer shortly, was hoping to make it to 500 miles for a oil change.  Hate to have them open a brand new engine up, not sure if this is going to go away...  Other than that I really like the bike.

Also, the thing gets ridiculously hot.  I saw a HD fan you can mount on the engine to help cool it off (especially on 90+ degree days and sitting at long CA lights!).  Anyone have experience with this or is it just a waste of money?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]

Page created in 0.37 seconds with 21 queries.