Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Refinish Chrome Wheel  (Read 6968 times)

fos41

• Full CVO Member
Refinish Chrome Wheel
« on: September 16, 2013, 07:36:21 PM »

Does anyone know of any reputable companies that can provide a quality refinish the chrome on CVO wheels? Or is is best to just buy new? Thanks.

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe
Re: Refinish Chrome Wheel
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2013, 08:35:19 PM »

Most I have heard about will not do it if it's already chrome.
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

Magellan

• Elite CVO Member
  • 'Ride like the wind'

• CVO1: '07 FLHRSE3
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2013, 01:06:28 PM »

If your experience is anything like mine (bad chrome peeling on '07 CVO RK) it was impossible to get the wheels re-chromed as they are aluminium and the process is much more difficult.
The choice I was left with was: (a) buy a new wheel; (b) have the wheel mirror polished; (c) have the wheel powder coated.

Options (b) and (c) were both cheaper than a new wheel. If done properly the result from (b) is very close to a chrome finish.

Good luck!

Magellan  :coolblue:
"I can resist everything except temptation." - Oscar Wilde :coolblue:

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2013, 01:40:01 PM »

There are companies that replate aluminum alloy wheels in the auto sector, so I assume the same would apply to motorcycle wheels.  Plating aluminum is harder than plating steel, but it's done every day and when done properly it holds up quite well.  I can't offer up any first hand recommendation for a particular vendor, but I do know some of the guys on the site have posted in the past about having their Harley wheels replated.  Perhaps some of them will see this and let you know who they used.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2013, 10:24:59 PM »

Advance or Chromemasters in Nashville. Alloy automotive wheels are rechromed every day. Cheaper than new wheels but not cheap. Quality WILL be better than original if either one of the companies I mentioned do the work. Turn-a-round time may be the deal breaker.

fos41

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2013, 10:35:53 AM »

Thank you your input on re-chroming aluminum wheels. My rear wheel the chrome is lifting with corrosion under the chrome plating. I will reasearch the Nashville company mentioned and  pass along any information that I get.

j f go

• Junior CVO Member
  • 112.77 HP 118 FT TQ
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2013, 05:38:50 PM »

My 07 SERK,like all the others that year,had the chrome pealing,front only. Contacted many chrome company's and was told that you cannot re-chrome the wheel because the process would take all the strengh out of it.Had mine powder coated but will be buying a new wheel as soon as I can swing it.

Desertwndrr

• Full CVO Member
Re:
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2013, 02:24:21 PM »

My from wheel chrome peeled and I had it sent off to Impress Plating in California. They did a great job on it.

j f go

• Junior CVO Member
  • 112.77 HP 118 FT TQ
Re:
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2013, 09:47:42 PM »

My from wheel chrome peeled and I had it sent off to Impress Plating in California. They did a great job on it.
   What exactly did they do ?

Desertwndrr

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2013, 10:51:22 PM »

Rechromed it.

The chrome from HD peeled.  The feedback that I got was that there was no layer of plating that was the "primer" to keep the chrome on the wheel, thus causing it to peel the first time that a tire was removed.  Replated it and all is well now with a 2-year warranty.

j f go

• Junior CVO Member
  • 112.77 HP 118 FT TQ
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2013, 08:35:44 PM »

Thanks , I'll check it out. If you don't mind my asking, was it very expensive?

Desertwndrr

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2013, 12:05:27 AM »

I'm into it about $250.  A replacement wheel would have been $1250.

j f go

• Junior CVO Member
  • 112.77 HP 118 FT TQ
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2013, 07:10:19 PM »

Ok, thanks for the info. I'll check it out a little further. Ride Safe.

fos41

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2014, 10:22:03 AM »

Hello,

I wanted to write in and report the results with my wheel re-chrome efforts. I ended up sending my wheel to Impress Plating in California. I have mixed feelings on doing business again with Impress. Initially on the phone the lady answered all of my questions to my satisfaction gaining my confidence. After receiving my wheel Impress called me stating that my wheel was damaged during shipping, but they could repair it for an additional $75.00.

Very suspicious! No one knew the delivery person or any knowledge of who received my whee at Impress. I was over a barrel and had no choice, but to pay the additional money for the wheel repairs. I was told the company owner does not return calls. I insisted on speaking with the owner, but he/she did not have the professional courtesy to return my call.

Timewise my wheel was gone for 2 1/2 months overlapping Christmas and New Years holiday. In the end the re-chroming job turned out very good the chrome looked great. It is frustrating the nonchalant attitude the Impress folks had about the damaged wheel.

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2014, 12:52:13 PM »

Thanks for the report.  Glad you got your wheel back all repaired but it is a bummer about the 'damage.'

I do not recall seeing your original post or I would have recommended this company - Classic Components, Inc. in California:  http://classiccomponents.com/

Had them chrome both the wheels on my 1999 Ultra Classic.  These were just the original stock wheels and they did a great job.  This was back in February of 2003 and I have not had any experience with them since that time.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.147 seconds with 21 queries.