Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: FXRG Full Face  (Read 9009 times)

SE66

• Senior CVO Member
  • Life Begins When You Get One

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4 Twilight Blue / Stardust Silver
FXRG Full Face
« on: October 06, 2009, 01:37:05 PM »

Thinking about purchasing the FXRG Full Face Helmet.  Curious to see how others feel about this helmet.  Since I have not been able to try one on, the dealers around here don't stock it.  I was also curious if the size on these things run about the same as other helmets.  I wear a large in a 3/4 and a 1/2 helmet,  so I was looking at purchasing the large from Chicago Harley.  $380.00.  Is this helmet comfortable and a good choice.  Thanks for the input.

Jimmy

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
Re: FXRG Full Face
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2009, 04:45:55 PM »

A - I would not buy it without trying it on, most dealers will not take helmet returns (unlike internet dealers)

B - Do you wear glasses? I have tried the helmet nd cannot get my glasses on after putting the helmet on. Aviator style with the flat temples should be OK though.
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

Gone Fishin'

• The Director
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2016 FLHTKSE Limited®, Black Sparkle and 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Ultra Classic®, Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate, # 110 of 992
    • CVO2: 2007 FLHRSE3 Screamin' Eagle® Road King®, Black Ice, 1 of 1325
    • CVO3: 2001 FXDWG2, Scarlet Red and 2000 FXR4, Candy Tangerine, 1 of 316
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2009, 12:04:32 AM »

I'd never buy a helmet without trying it on. We have one chain of bike accessory stores who do have a wind channel type setup in larger stores, where you can try various helmets in an "almost" street like environment with headwind. Others allows a test ride. It is not only about the size, but also about the combination of a helmet and your bike.

Ride safely,
Louis

1914 10E, Grey
1956 FLH Custom, Candy Orange
1988 FXRS Custom, "S.O.A."
2000 FLSTF Custom Fat Boy, "Jumpin' Jack Flash"
2000 FXSTS Custom Springer Softail, Grey
2000 FXR4, Candy Tangerine
2001 FXDWG2, Scarlet Red
2005 FLHTCSE2, -9/07
2007 FLHRSE3, Black Ice
2008 FLHTCUSE3, -7/08
2009 FLHTCUSE4, -4/10
2010 FLHTCUSE5-BLK, Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate
2012 VRSCDX ANV, Brilliant Silver Pearl
2016 FLHTKSE, Black Sparkle
2016 XL1200CX Roadster, Vivid Black
2018 FLFBS ANV
CVO 1480 IBA 26678

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2021 CVO Limited
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2009, 04:31:47 AM »

I got a Harley full face last winter, and it's just too inconvenient.  A few weeks ago, I bought a modular helmet.  Being that it's the same as a full face, with the option of flipping the front part up, you have a much more versatile helmet.  With the full face, I tried taking drinks, tried lighting cigarettes, and tried talking to people before remembering that I had the full face on.  You don't have much choice but to take the helmet off to do anything with the full face.  With the modular helmet, touch one button and lift, and now you have the equivalent of a 3/4 helmet and you can actually talk and drink and eat, etc without taking the helmet off.  I ended up with the HJC.  It's the same helmet as the Harley modular for a lot less money.  The Harley modular is made my HJC and it's virtually identical other than it does not say Harley on it.

Another think that I like on my modular is the inner sunshield.  There is a second shaded shield that slides down to cover just your eyes, and it flips back up with one touch of a button.  On my trip from PA to NC and back, I never had my sunglasses on even once.  It worked great and whenever I saw a tunnel coming up, I hit the button and then I had only a clear shield.  It is very convenient and you don't have to worry about your sunglasses fitting in the helmet. 

I only wear a helmet like this for real cold weather or when I'm expecting to be riding in the rain.  But, after using the modular, I'll never wear the full face again.  Since I only wore it a few times last winter, I'm hoping that I can find someone to buy it from me.  In fact, I've purchased 6 new helmets in the past year and a half, and I'm going to try to get rid of 4 of them now.

SE66

• Senior CVO Member
  • Life Begins When You Get One

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4 Twilight Blue / Stardust Silver
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2009, 10:18:13 AM »

Thanks Guys,  Great advice.  I believe I will try the HJC modular.  Sounds like it would be more pratical and less $$$.  I like the 1/2 helmet, but was wanting to get something for cold weather riding.  This is a cool site,  lots of information,  all you need to do is ask. 

Thanks Again
Jimmy

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2009, 10:38:40 AM »

Thanks Guys,  Great advice.  I believe I will try the HJC modular.  Sounds like it would be more pratical and less $$$.  I like the 1/2 helmet, but was wanting to get something for cold weather riding.  This is a cool site,  lots of information,  all you need to do is ask. 

Thanks Again

Try some different ones and find something that's semi-comfortable.  If you are anything like me, I'm never fully comfortable with a helmet of any sort on, but you don't want one that you can't bear to have on either.  The one I got is the HJC IS-MAX.  It's identical to the Harley modular (part #98211-10VM).  Harley wants $250 and I picked my HJC up for $179.  If you get the Harley with 20% off, it brings the prices a little closer together, if you absolutely must have it say Harley on it.  Harley shows you right in their product description that theirs is an HJC.

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2009, 12:08:37 PM »

The HJC's are good helmets.
here's a link,

http://www.hjchelmets.com/

We already have full face helmets so we bought two "IS-33's".
Like Dave said, the sunshade is a great option that's very cool and functional.

SBB

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2009, 02:12:00 PM »

http://www.nolanhelmets.com/n42encom.htm

When I wear a helmet, this is my favorite....  The Nolan N42E  N-Com

I particularily like the clear/shade face shield....   :2vrolijk_21:
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

boerne free bird

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3
    • CVO2: 2007 FLHRSE
    • CVO3: 2003 FLHRSE
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2009, 10:54:58 PM »

Thinking about purchasing the FXRG Full Face Helmet.  Curious to see how others feel about this helmet.  Since I have not been able to try one on, the dealers around here don't stock it.  I was also curious if the size on these things run about the same as other helmets.  I wear a large in a 3/4 and a 1/2 helmet,  so I was looking at purchasing the large from Chicago Harley.  $380.00.  Is this helmet comfortable and a good choice.  Thanks for the input.

Do you know if your head shape is oval or round? Mine is oval, so some helmets (like Arai) are very comfortable all day and others (Nolan, most Shoei) cause pressure points on my forehead and get very uncomfortable after 30 minutes or so. The FXRG is not a good fit for me.All helmets (cheap or expensive) may feel comfortable to some people but terrible to others depending on head shape. I'd never recommend buying any helmet without trying it on and walking around with it for a while. A one minute test fit won't tell you much about comfort during longer rides.

The FXRG is well vented and fairly light for a full face, but that wont matter if it doesn't fit your head shape.

live free and ride safe

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2009, 12:29:50 AM »

Do you know if your head shape is oval or round? Mine is oval, so some helmets (like Arai) are very comfortable all day and others (Nolan, most Shoei) cause pressure points on my forehead and get very uncomfortable after 30 minutes or so. The FXRG is not a good fit for me.All helmets (cheap or expensive) may feel comfortable to some people but terrible to others depending on head shape. I'd never recommend buying any helmet without trying it on and walking around with it for a while. A one minute test fit won't tell you much about comfort during longer rides.

The FXRG is well vented and fairly light for a full face, but that wont matter if it doesn't fit your head shape.

Exactly.  Just as I mentioned above, try some different brands.  Just because a helmet works well for me doesn't mean anything for the next person.  I tried several different brands before I ended up with the HJC.  If you don't get one that's comfortable for you, it will sit on your shelf and you'll end up shopping for a new helmet once again.  Luckily for me, the HJC was one of the less expensive choices that I tried and it felt the best  There was another one that felt good for a lot less money, but it was lacking in features and the modular section didn't open smoothly, so I passed on that one.  I can't remember what brand that one was.

LarryB

• Tennessee Squire
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 FLTRSE3 The Grey Ghost
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2009, 08:21:33 AM »

If you are anything like me, I'm never fully comfortable
there is only one Dave, no one is like you  :huepfenlol2: couldn't resist
I like my 3/4 w/shield for rain and cold.
Take it Easy Greasy Cuz it's a long walk home.

Did I shave my head for this?

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2009, 08:44:17 AM »

there is only one Dave, no one is like you  :huepfenlol2: couldn't resist
I like my 3/4 w/shield for rain and cold.

The sooner a person realizes that, the easier life becomes.

Indenial

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 SE Road Glide
    • States Riden on 2009 CVO
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2009, 08:57:35 PM »

HJC Syntax II with the sunshield. Love it
I just finished the pile of junk I needed to work on before I get to the stuff I should be doing----

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2009, 08:51:29 AM »

The FXRG is not a good fit for me.All helmets (cheap or expensive) may feel comfortable to some people but terrible to others depending on head shape. I'd never recommend buying any helmet without trying it on and walking around with it for a while. A one minute test fit won't tell you much about comfort during longer rides.

I found it to be 'heavy', as most of the full helmets are......I found a full face (on Ebay) and it is feather light, so they can be made much lighter than the industry is making them now.  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

trapperjohn82

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '08 FLHTCUSE3 Canyon Copper/Stardust Silver
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2009, 02:01:03 PM »

I, too, experienced discomfort with the FXRG.  Wore it in the store for 15 minutes before the purchase.  I've made the switch to Vemar's Carbon Eclipse.  Better fit, carbon full face, anti-fog visor, great ventilation, and weighs only 3 lbs.  It's a high end helmet, but remember, you may only have one chance to protect your noggen.

Ride safe,

Trapper

http://www.motonation.com/store/pc/viewCategories.asp?idCategory=4
2008 Screamin' Eagle Ultra Classic - Longhorn named "Montana"
V&H Monster Ovals
K&N High Flow Custom Assembly
SE Pro Super Tuner
J&M Shorties
Fuel Filler Shell (Done)
0905 (Done)
Rider's Claw iPod Touch Gen IV Mount
HD LED Headlamp & Aux Lamps

Myko

• Senior CVO Member
  • Takin' Bug Slayer Home

• CVO1: 2010 FLHXSE "BUG SLR" Spiced Rum - Yummmm!
    • CVO2: 1985 FLHTC "St Steven", RK conversion, hand paint in Naples, IT
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2009, 05:38:12 PM »

Got my FXRG for cold weather riding. I can get my glasses on after I have the helmet in place.
The draw for me to the FXRG vice a modular, was the weight... I can't take a lot of weight on my head and the FXRG was about, if not THE, lightest full face I had tried. I would rather a modular, but haven't found one that is light weight (spine fusion c5/6 disc).
No matter what I do, still suffer some fogging, especially with glasses on. I usually resort to the full face @ 40 and below.
Agree with the comments about ensuring it fits... nothing like wearing a helmet that hurts after a short period!
~~~~~
Mike
------------------------------------------------------
2010 Spiced Rum SESG "Bug Slayer"
Fullsac X pipe & 2.0 baffles
Corbin Classic Solo w/Scarlet Flames
14" Wild1 Chubby Apehangers
Hawg Wired Double Shot
Kuryakyn Driving Lights
Clark Custom Windshield & Deflectors
Performance Machine FL Touring Mirrors (black)
Color matched saddlebag spoilers
Deflectorization
Diamond Polished Stainless Steel Engine bolt kit
---------------------------------------------------

bandit

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3, TP, Saddleman Explorer
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2009, 10:42:25 AM »

I prefer the Caberg Uno with a great windshield.
It is not that we have less time, it is much time that we use wrong.

bandit

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3, TP, Saddleman Explorer
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2009, 10:43:58 AM »

These holes are covered with a plastic-shield if it rains.
Otherwise you move your head down and the wind cools
your head in the summer. Great ventilation, simple idea.
It is not that we have less time, it is much time that we use wrong.

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2009, 05:32:45 PM »

Fogging can be corrected on any helmet easily with a Fog City anti-fog insert. My shield has been fogged to the point that water was dripping off of it all the way around the Fog City insert, the complete insert was totally clear. About $15.00 on line. Or you get one included with Nolan full face modular helments. Shoei helments, which is what we are currently wearing, have 2 little white posts on the faceshield, Shoei makes a fog shield that pops onto the posts on the inside of the shield and "seals" itself to the shield with its gel gasket, pretty slick deal. I have had no fogging with mine regardless of temp/rain etc. The inserts come in all colors, I prefer clear as I normally use the fog insert in early morning, rain/fog etc when you normally wouldn't want a dark shield. The insert is about $25, I bought mine from Helmet Shop Daytona which was cheapest place I could find the helmet.

KarlG

• CVO1: 2010 FLHTCUSE5
    • CVO2: 2003 FLHRSEI (gone)
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2009, 06:56:49 PM »

Sounds like SE66 decided on a modular helmet, but at $380 for the FXRG Carbon Helmet , it is a smoking deal. The FXRG is manufactured for Harley by HJC which sold it as the AC-12. HJC then updated it's features (pinlock to visor which is retrofittable to AC-12, and changed vents slightly) to the FS-15 Carbon which is their flagship helmet. The best price available for the FS-15 is about the same price and we all know the "HD" brand adds the Hundred Dollars to the price  ;). The FS-15 won webbikeworld's 2008 Helmet of the Year. I have a FS-15 and can recommend it. For an in depth review:

HJC FS-15

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motorcycle-helmet/hjc/fs-15/

Current:
2010 FLHTCUSE5
2008 Ducati 1098S
2005 BMW K1200S

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2009, 05:18:23 PM »

Try some different ones and find something that's semi-comfortable.  If you are anything like me, I'm never fully comfortable with a helmet of any sort on, but you don't want one that you can't bear to have on either.  The one I got is the HJC IS-MAX.  It's identical to the Harley modular (part #98211-10VM).  Harley wants $250 and I picked my HJC up for $179.  If you get the Harley with 20% off, it brings the prices a little closer together, if you absolutely must have it say Harley on it.  Harley shows you right in their product description that theirs is an HJC.

My dealer is not stocking that helmet, just the older HJC System Modular Helmet - 97212-02V.  This older helmet is $25 more ($275 vs $250) and it does not have the sunshield.  It is fiberglas vs polycarbonate.  Nice helmet but I'm wondering if the newer version is better.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.213 seconds with 20 queries.