Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: When to put on after market intake and exhaust  (Read 937 times)

vtyanqui

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 08 SERK Anniversary Model
    • CVO2: 09 SERG "Silver"
When to put on after market intake and exhaust
« on: June 05, 2009, 10:22:12 AM »

My D&D Boss pipes came today and my SERG should arrive some time with the next two weeks; and like most of you I'm anxious to outfit my new bike as soon as possible.

Question:  Is there any problem with putting my D&D Boss system and Heavy Breather on before I ride it for the first time?

I've read somewhere, but I can't remember where, that H-D sends out their new CVO’s  running lean to make the EPA happy.  The article further stated if you put new intake and exhaust on more air will follow into the cylinders and if the same amount of fuel is being injected W/O a new engine tune your engine will run extra lean and burn up.  Bottom line was: Don't put a new exhaust and breather on until after the break-in period and you are ready to tune it.

What have you guys done and what do you suggest?.   :confused5:

Highjagger

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • tradition`s not worship ash but pass on the fire

• CVO1: FXSE Breakout Pro Street 2016 ,- and 2011 Crossbones FLSTSB ,- and 2016 LowRider s FXDLs
Re: When to put on after market intake and exhaust
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2009, 10:31:44 AM »

There will be no problem when you tune it immediately when putting on another intake and exhaust ,
it is important that you tune it the same time you make the changes .
Break in is not important , fire it up . http://mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm
Success is to stand up one more than to fall down

vtyanqui

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2009, 11:25:52 AM »

Highjagger - I agree the best way to break in a new engine is to alternate between short bursts of hard acceleration and deceleration.  My concern comes with breaking in a new engine with a new free flow system (intake and exhaust) without tuning it first to dial in the fuel/air settings; changing them from the original H-D setup.  However; everything I've read says wait until after the break-in to tune the engine.

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2009, 12:23:37 PM »

The break in advanced by Mototune can be done in a few minutes on the way home from the dealer if you have a road without traffic.  The stock bike runs lean and the pipes / breather you suggest will make it run even leaner, to the extent the closed loop system can not compensate.  Probably better not to take the chance and tune it upon installation. 

You might want to search the threads here on the catalytic converter which restricts your flow.  http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=27814.0

The pipes and breather won't help much if another link in the system is restricting the flow.  You might also want to look at the fullsac alternative to the D&D pipes.  http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=28086.0  Keep the stock look, great sound and a lot less $$$.

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

Screamin

• 5k CVO Member
  • Number 641

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2 Cherry
    • CVO2: 2019 Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2009, 12:27:02 PM »

JMHO -

Assuming you're running a new bike like the suggested break in I'd think the closed loop would automatically adjust. Once you start opening it up is when you need to start being concerned.

vtyanqui

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2009, 12:58:15 PM »

Thanks Greg – I'm reviewing the links you suggested now.

Rob

just-us-6

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2009, 01:05:10 AM »

My non-cat headpipe, fullsac baffles (2 1/4), heavy breather, and SSERT were installed prior to me even picking up bike. They don't have to necesarily "tune" the bike when it is brand new, but can at least do a download and get it close and then do a full tune for max power / max economy after the break in.
2009 SERG Orange - Heavy breather, catless headpipe, fullsac 2.25", Cyclerama heads, T-man 625 cams, Chrome inner primary, diamond cut heads and cylinders, Hawgwired amp and speakers, Xenon Hid headlights, Led front turn signals, passenger foot boards and pegs moved to crash bars, chopped tour pack, remote alarm, Harley radar detector, SE Pro tuner, Cee Bailey Windshield, VPC clutch, front saddlebag guards, dash oil temp gauge, led spoilers for saddlebags and tourpack, reflectors removed!

Page created in 0.255 seconds with 21 queries.