Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Nightrider O2 IED on 2008 SEUC  (Read 15202 times)

aushog

• 2008 Frosty
  • Full CVO Member
Nightrider O2 IED on 2008 SEUC
« on: April 06, 2008, 10:44:44 PM »

Anybody tried the Nightrider O2 IED's on a 2008?  I'm having a problem with mine.

I put on a pair yesterday, and had eletrical problems.  Bike ran well around the block a couple of times.  After stopping I revved the engine a bit and noticed the radio powered down.  Sitting in neutral, when I rev the engine, around 3K RPM the voltage meter begins to drop, at about 4K RPM it drops to basically zero, the oil pressure shoots to max, and the radio seems to lose power.  Bike seems to run fine in spite of it.

I took the IED's off, and now everything is back to normal. 

Nightrider says I must have installed wrong, but I double checked and can't see how it could have been done wrong.  The O2 sensors are the little plugs in the pipes with wires coming out of them, a couple of inches from the heads, right?  And the connectors are about 6 inches down the wire.  Kind of hard to screw up, but hey, I've done dumber things!

Anybody have a similar problem? Know what could be wrong?  I'm wondering if the 2008 is somehow different from previous years.

beerman

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
Re: Nightrider O2 IED on 2008 SEUC
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2008, 07:47:30 AM »

Don't know what to tell you. I have a 08 SG with Supertrapps/SEAC and added Nightriders IED's a couple hundred miles ago. No problems. No codes/issues/weird electrical gremlins like you mentioned. They are just piggyback item on the O2 sensors and should have no bearing on the items you mentioned.
Be certain that all 4 connections are "clicked" in place and tight - if not they can throw a code
Check out the HDForum for this topic as well - it's had over 600 replies so far.
You are by far in the minority - let us know what happens
Good Luck
-Beerman
2008 FLHX, 1997 FLSTS, 1982 BMW R65

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2008, 05:17:56 PM »

Anybody tried the Nightrider O2 IED's on a 2008?  I'm having a problem with mine.

I put on a pair yesterday, and had eletrical problems.  Bike ran well around the block a couple of times.  After stopping I revved the engine a bit and noticed the radio powered down.  Sitting in neutral, when I rev the engine, around 3K RPM the voltage meter begins to drop, at about 4K RPM it drops to basically zero, the oil pressure shoots to max, and the radio seems to lose power.  Bike seems to run fine in spite of it.

I took the IED's off, and now everything is back to normal. 

Nightrider says I must have installed wrong, but I double checked and can't see how it could have been done wrong.  The O2 sensors are the little plugs in the pipes with wires coming out of them, a couple of inches from the heads, right?  And the connectors are about 6 inches down the wire.  Kind of hard to screw up, but hey, I've done dumber things!

Anybody have a similar problem? Know what could be wrong?  I'm wondering if the 2008 is somehow different from previous years.

Sounds like an IED from Bagdad.  Improvised Explosive Device.   Seriously, I think there is a short in yours. 
Any day on the bike is a good day.

Pete7539

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 08 SEUC
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2008, 05:56:02 PM »

No problems w/mine.

aushog

• 2008 Frosty
  • Full CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2008, 07:03:32 PM »

I decided to try again, on the theory that maybe they weren't clicked in all the way, or had a short or something.  The front one was very hard to click in yesterday, but easy today.  Plus I just left them loose, where before I used wire ties to make it neat.  Works perfectly now.  Rode all over town today, temp was 90 degrees, and it was way cooler than yesterday on the highway at 80 degrees.  Now, when I tidy up, if it quits working, I will know its a short.

Thanks guys!

Pete7539

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 08 SEUC
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2008, 09:03:53 PM »

when you tighten the wiring up make sure you don't make any hard kinks/sharp bends, in the wiring. That may cause a problem :nixweiss:

aushog

• 2008 Frosty
  • Full CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2008, 10:29:11 AM »

I fired up the bike, turnedup the speakers so I could hear if it cut out, and played with the sensors.  No problem with the front when I secured it (not too tight) with wire ties.

Rear sensor, depending on how tried to stow it, sometimes shorted, sometimes not.  Anyway, I found I could secure it to another wire bundle, and it is working perfectly.

Besides being way cooler, I swear it shakes less at idle, and has a deeper sound to it. 

stekat

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2008, 11:56:09 AM »

I fired up the bike, turnedup the speakers so I could hear if it cut out, and played with the sensors.  No problem with the front when I secured it (not too tight) with wire ties.

Rear sensor, depending on how tried to stow it, sometimes shorted, sometimes not.  Anyway, I found I could secure it to another wire bundle, and it is working perfectly.

Besides being way cooler, I swear it shakes less at idle, and has a deeper sound to it. 

Call or e-mail Steve at Nightrider, it sounds like your rear IED is defective.  Steve is very easy to talk to, I'm sure he'll replace if w/o charge.

mhjimh

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2008, 03:33:53 PM »

Any body know if these are available from any of the aftermarket parts cataloger's (Drag, Custom Chrome, J&P ect)?

aushog

• 2008 Frosty
  • Full CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2008, 02:12:04 PM »

Call or e-mail Steve at Nightrider, it sounds like your rear IED is defective.  Steve is very easy to talk to, I'm sure he'll replace if w/o charge.

Nightrider insisted it can't be their problem, and they were right.  Turns out its a battery ground problem.  Just that whenever I messed with the rear IED i must have been also jiggled a wiring harness attached to ground.

Probably never would have figured it out, except I checked the diagnostic code (thanks to posts in this forum).  Found out even though the voltmeter was dropping to zero, it was not undervoltage, but OVERvoltage causing the instruments to shut down, and to check the voltage regulator or maybe just a loose battery cable.  I think the moco never even tightened the nuts on the battery cables, much less bother with locktite.

BTW I took off the fairing for the first time this weekend, and found two of the four lower screws backed out to almost dropping off.  Wonder what else they forgot to tighten?  Nothing important I hope!

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2008, 02:20:18 PM »

I reccommend checking every effin thing on it...I found all sorts of out of spec torque values, loose connections and poor crimps...All around poor motorcycle assembly with substandard material.

Whaddya expect for 30+k?   

m.i.a.

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2008, 03:41:16 PM »

Amen on checking everything, all three dealers when it comes to any type service around here will tell you "we dont do everything on the list".
Marines may guard the gates of heaven
A job they may do well!!!
But it takes a paratrooper
To guard the gates of Hell!!!

TN

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • SC

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2008, 03:55:39 PM »

installed the xied and supertrapp se slipons on my flhrse3.... :2vrolijk_21:

only have a few hundred miles logged, i think you'll be hearing more about these.
what a simple solution...

Ride Safe

TN
Wut the hell was that maneuver

Hugh Janis

• Jim
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2 Cherry and Black
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2008, 05:49:02 PM »

installed the xied and supertrapp se slipons on my flhrse3.... :2vrolijk_21:

only have a few hundred miles logged, i think you'll be hearing more about these.
what a simple solution...

Ride Safe

TN

I'm next!
"I don't mind coming to work,
But that eight hour wait to go home is a bitch."

Click link for BBQ song..   http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1825742

bunt

• Full CVO Member
    • TN
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2008, 06:01:54 PM »

I have a pair I was going to put on my Ultra but went with the PC111 instead, $50 plus shipping for anyone that wants em.
Everyone has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film. (Steven Wright)
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.161 seconds with 20 queries.