Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Anyone done Apes on their CVO RG?  (Read 6081 times)

Fire-Medic

• Full CVO Member
  • Bad Monkey

• CVO1: 2012 CVO RGC "Dirty Skunk"
Anyone done Apes on their CVO RG?
« on: April 18, 2012, 11:11:51 AM »

Well I thought my seat was the only issue with my new skunk, but last night went to the garage with the wife and asked her to take a look at my riding position and to my surprise she says I sit leaving forward a good bit, so this definitely has to be what is killing my back. On my Ultra I had the opposite issue, the bars were too close to me, I find these two extremes interesting since theoretically they should be the same bikes with different fairings.

So now I'm looking for taller bars with more pullback but with a similar wrist angle to the stock bars. Has anyone found any Ape hangers with a similar wrist angle to the stock CVO RGC bars?

Also do I need a certain set of bars to accommodate the hydraulic clutch setup?

Thanks
FM

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
Re: Anyone done Apes on their CVO RG?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2012, 12:36:43 PM »

There are a number of threads on "apes" in the SERG and SERGU boards.  You might want to look there or use the search feature if you have not already.  

Here's one example:  Paul yaffe 10 inch bars for Road Glide.

Another:  2009 SERG CUSTOM HANDLEBARS 1ST PICS.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 12:38:33 PM by GregKhougaz »

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

Fire-Medic

• Full CVO Member
  • Bad Monkey

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2012, 03:03:31 PM »

There are a number of threads on "apes" in the SERG and SERGU boards.  You might want to look there or use the search feature if you have not already.  

Here's one example:  Paul yaffe 10 inch bars for Road Glide.

Another:  2009 SERG CUSTOM HANDLEBARS 1ST PICS.

I started a new thread to see what people have done as of late. And I'm a little over Yaffee bars, everyone and their mother has a set of Monkey Bars on their HD bike, not to mention they don't have the pullback I'm looking for.

Was told I ould need bars that work with the hydraulic clutch setup, so that's why I was asking, sorry to bother.

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2012, 03:59:28 PM »

No bother!   Just tryin' to help.   :2vrolijk_21:

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

Fire-Medic

• Full CVO Member
  • Bad Monkey

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2012, 05:33:30 PM »

Anyone got the measurements for the stock bars? Want to make sure the 12" of pullback I am getting is not skewed by where the bars currently sit......

Fatboy

• 1K CVO Member
  • "Orange Crush" 94Hp / 119Tq
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2012, 06:36:11 PM »

Carlini has several bars that would look great on a SERG.

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2012, 07:05:51 PM »

Fire...I had to adjust the bars on my SERGU back a bit from where they were set at the factory.  They sit further back than did the stock bars on my '06 SEUC, so I'm a little surprised by your statement.  I'm assuming, of course, that your bars and my bars are the same part number.  I know that the '09 SERG's have very different bars on them than the current version.  I saw that for myself on Good Howie's bike in Maggie Valley this past year.  I wouldn't last an hour with the bars on his bike.  He's a big guy, and they are uncomfortable for him as well.  The part number on my bar is 57461-11.  Is your's different?

Getting to the bar clamps on the RG is really easy compared to a batwing fairing.

The Hydraulic clutch bars will generally have a detent to prevent totally free rotation of the clutch and clamping assembly.

I always have to adjust the bar position, along with the position of both the clutch and the brake, so that my fingers rest where I want them to.  I generally ride with two fingers covering the front brake lever, and I have small hands, so adjustment is needed.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Fire-Medic

• Full CVO Member
  • Bad Monkey

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2012, 08:27:11 PM »

Carlini has several bars that would look great on a SERG.

I would love to slap a set of Flying Ape's on it, but they're not knurled in the middle and the use of the RK clamp requires cutting into the cover of the clamp, and I refuse to cut up my new CVO for a set of bars.

I had Evil Ape's on my old RKC (2 bikes before the current one) and they were a royal PIA to wire internally, and I was not 100% satisfied with the quality of the bars for what they cost.

Fire-Medic

• Full CVO Member
  • Bad Monkey

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2012, 08:32:47 PM »

Fire...I had to adjust the bars on my SERGU back a bit from where they were set at the factory.  They sit further back than did the stock bars on my '06 SEUC, so I'm a little surprised by your statement.  I'm assuming, of course, that your bars and my bars are the same part number.  I know that the '09 SERG's have very different bars on them than the current version.  I saw that for myself on Good Howie's bike in Maggie Valley this past year.  I wouldn't last an hour with the bars on his bike.  He's a big guy, and they are uncomfortable for him as well.  The part number on my bar is 57461-11.  Is your's different?

Getting to the bar clamps on the RG is really easy compared to a batwing fairing.

The Hydraulic clutch bars will generally have a detent to prevent totally free rotation of the clutch and clamping assembly.

I always have to adjust the bar position, along with the position of both the clutch and the brake, so that my fingers rest where I want them to.  I generally ride with two fingers covering the front brake lever, and I have small hands, so adjustment is needed.

My factory bars are as low/back as they can go without damaging anything, the wrist angle is fantastic, and I too am surprised about the bars, because I have long arms for my size. But as soon as I sat on it for the wife to see about my seating position she said why are you leaning forward like that, so right then and there I knew the discomfort I have been feeling in the back of my neck and my back is from the handlebars. I will try and get a part number for my handlebars, but my dealer doesn't seem 100% on the up and up with CVO knowledge.....

They were able to track down the part number for me to get highway pegs that match, and I was also informed there is NOT a matching backrest pad for the Black seat on the skunk and the blue and black bike, but there is one for the Brown seat that comes on the Maple CVO RGC, extremely frustrating to me, since the maple color seems to be the harder one to find and there seems to be more of the other two color with the Black version of the seat.

Also found out today an HD rider backrest will not work with my seat, another disappointment there.

So I have an email in to Danny gray about a seat setup, and I'm trying to decide on handlebars for now as well.

This is my 5th HD bike and all have needed some type of seat upgrade, but my back has NEVER hurt so much from a 500 mile day on any of my bikes, not even with stock bars.

So basically my CVO is fantastic with looks, but right now I'm on the hunt to make it more comfortable for me, my Limited was the opposite, extremely comfortable but there was too much about the looks I wanted to change.

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2012, 09:08:04 AM »

The bars on the 09 CVO road glide are way different than the bars on the 12 CVO Road Glide.

The bars on the 12 CVO Road glide are just black heritage bars, all lengths, angles, rise and widths are identical to my wife's 09 Heritage.

Initially these bars felt far more comfortable than the bars on my 09 CVO road glide.  A 500 mile day tells me that the 09 bars were better for the long Haul.

I have been thinking about 12 or 14 apes, but worry it would adversely effect the handling on tight twisty roads.
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

Fire-Medic

• Full CVO Member
  • Bad Monkey

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2012, 07:43:54 PM »

The bars on the 09 CVO road glide are way different than the bars on the 12 CVO Road Glide.

The bars on the 12 CVO Road glide are just black heritage bars, all lengths, angles, rise and widths are identical to my wife's 09 Heritage.

Initially these bars felt far more comfortable than the bars on my 09 CVO road glide.  A 500 mile day tells me that the 09 bars were better for the long Haul.

I have been thinking about 12 or 14 apes, but worry it would adversely effect the handling on tight twisty roads.

The 17" Carlini bars I had on my old Road King were a vast improvement for me on handling, just took a little bit to get the hand of it (less than a day), then it felt like someone added power steering to the bike, lol.

trhayes76

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2012, 12:37:37 PM »

Here you go...Carlini 17" Evil Apes...if you buy the ones that stepped to 1 inch at the clamp, there is not a problem...
« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 12:39:38 PM by trhayes76 »

2012 CVO Road Glide Custom- 17" Carlini Evil Apes- V&H power duals and High-Output mufflers

09nessrg

• Junior CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 2018 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2012 Skunk CVO
    • CVO3: 2009 RG Custom
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2012, 01:12:38 PM »

trhayes76,
is that a 12 or 16 " KW windscreen?

trhayes76

« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2012, 03:25:12 PM »

trhayes76,
is that a 12 or 16 " KW windscreen?

2012 CVO Road Glide Custom- 17" Carlini Evil Apes- V&H power duals and High-Output mufflers

Fire-Medic

• Full CVO Member
  • Bad Monkey

« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2012, 05:15:27 PM »

Here you go...Carlini 17" Evil Apes...if you buy the ones that stepped to 1 inch at the clamp, there is not a problem...

The Evil Apes you can get stepped down but a couple of the other bars in 1.5" diameter for some reason they don't step down......
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.191 seconds with 21 queries.