Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Author Topic: A simply unbelievable service episode  (Read 4452 times)

spada84

• Elite CVO Member
  • Stand for something, or fall for anything.

• CVO1: '10 SEUC "Orange Crush"
    • CVO2: 6 (or 7) other bikes
Re: A simply unbelievable service episode
« Reply #30 on: September 16, 2012, 01:47:36 PM »

Ken...don't waste your time with the dealer on this, unless it's the NIM.  Mine had the NIM problem, so I had the dealer replace that after explaining to them how it worked and what it was doing to let them know it was NOT working as designed.  They replaced it.  However, the Roadtech started doing something similar to what yours did a month or so later.  The dealer would have sent it to Garmin for me, but it would just have delayed the process.  I called Garmin myself and got the unit replaced...they won't give you a "new" one in the box, but a "New" refurbished one.  Took about a week for the exchange.  The Garmin tech support will just make sure you've got the latest firmware update in the unit (I did) while on the phone with them, then they'll make it right.  Mine was doing the static thing, plus it would emit this ear piercing tone from time to time.  It's all Gee-Hawing together now...

I did a Zumo exchange with Garmin.  Explained to them that I was leaving on a trip.  I Next Day Aired the failed unit to them.  They FedEx Next Day sent the new unit to the hotel where I was staying.  Good customer service from Garmin.
Spada84
NoSofa!

lilcoot

• Elite CVO Member
  • Scaramoosh! Scaramoosh! Can you do the Fandango?

• CVO1: '13 FLTCUSE8
« Reply #31 on: September 16, 2012, 04:50:38 PM »

Gotta say, Don, guys like you and Jerry are worth your weights in gold (if obesity isn't and issue ;)).  Your friend is lucky to have you around in a "consultant" capacity.  Most of us , especially HD virgins like myself, are at the mercy of incompetent and unethical dealerships and trial and error.

You could make a career "consulting" misdiagnoses by HD.  You'd be busier than a one legged man in a butt kicking contest, tho.

Dan

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #32 on: September 16, 2012, 06:14:29 PM »

Gotta say, Don, guys like you and Jerry are worth your weights in gold (if obesity isn't and issue ;)).  Your friend is lucky to have you around in a "consultant" capacity.  Most of us , especially HD virgins like myself, are at the mercy of incompetent and unethical dealerships and trial and error.

You could make a career "consulting" misdiagnoses by HD.  You'd be busier than a one legged man in a butt kicking contest, tho.

Dan

I'm as out of my depth as any other rider a lot of the time Dan.  This just happened to be a simple one that the simply never actually looked for. 

It's even easy enough to guess what likely happened.  Some kid out of UTI or MMI or NoRealExpAmI hooked the bike up to digital technician and expected to be told what the problem was.  Then he wasn't.  Then he didn't know what to do. 

After that it was either bad wild assed guesses based on good intent or bad wild assed guesses based on revenue generation.  Either way with bad wild assed guesses as the foundation good things aren't going to happen. 

I'm a little surprised there wasn't low voltage codes at least historically.  But checked and there weren't.  Still just sad they didn't/wouldn't/didn't-know-how to actually look for a problem based on its behavior.

bubtrauma

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #33 on: September 19, 2012, 09:46:40 AM »

Ya know this problem is not just in the HD service department. This kind of thing happens in the auto industry as well and we all know it. This is what I will do next time I go to the MC. I am going to get them to commit to What they will do if and when I drive away and the problem is not rectified. Will they take it back and try again and once it is found will I be reimbursed for there errors.

I think we need to ask more question of the "what if" kind. I think they will have a hard time answering that question. We need to hold them accountable for what they SAY they are going to do up front. We also know how TUFF to diagnose electrical problems and that they can run up a labour bill for a sometimes very inexpensive part.

eg. Mr. Service writer, what are you going to do if when I drive away and the problem still exists. If and when you then you find the problem what cost will there be?

I think you will see these faces from the Service writer.  :'( ???

We need to trap them into a REAL Service commitment.
GOOD thread

Bub
« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 09:48:37 AM by bubtrauma »
bend it, chop it, cut it, bang it, weld it and paint it to match........

North Georgia Hawg

• HoneyBadger Don't Give a CHIT...
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • I HATE WINTER!!!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
    • CVO2: 2009 Chevy Avalanche LTZ Inferno Orange
    • CVO3: 2001 Ebbtide Mystique 2300: 8-ch 2000 watt audio system, two 12" Kicker subs
« Reply #34 on: September 19, 2012, 11:10:34 AM »

Reading this thread, I am even more convinced of my reasoning to NEVER take my bike into the dealer unless it's for a recall or something that's CLEARLY a warranty issue. I can do the service better and cheaper myself.

I recently replaced the VSS on the Honey Badger on my own dime to get the speedo working properly again, instead of taking it to the dealer for what would surely have been a warranty replacement. I don't want any more service records about my bike in the MoCo's system than is absolutely necessary...

HoneyBadger Don't Care...

TD AK-20s | Drago's S/C/S-4 | SE 259Es | Feuling 8015/7060/Rods | Black Ops Lifters
Cometics | Big Sucker 2 | Energy One +1 Clutch Pack | Hayden BT07 | ClutchWIZ
WPW Fans | TL P7 LEDs/Aux | Dynamic Ringz | Tour Pak | WO 575s | RT 665
Corbin DualTour | BAH Flush Front Axle | Chrome Calipers
The Wizard's Tune

Dash Riprock

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2001 SERG Black & Charcoal (sold) Regular ol' Ultra Classic (Sold) 2003 FLSTSI Heritage Springer Softail
« Reply #35 on: September 19, 2012, 11:59:41 AM »

Let the guessing begin.  Hmmm, could it be the dealer who owns multiple H-D shops and multiple automobile dealerships whose last name is the same as the well known (now deceased) advice columnist?

Yes...this sucks like a Toad.

cvobiker

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #36 on: September 20, 2012, 07:59:47 AM »

. I don't want any more service records about my bike in the MoCo's system than is absolutely necessary...

Why?   :nixweiss:

North Georgia Hawg

• HoneyBadger Don't Give a CHIT...
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • I HATE WINTER!!!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
    • CVO2: 2009 Chevy Avalanche LTZ Inferno Orange
    • CVO3: 2001 Ebbtide Mystique 2300: 8-ch 2000 watt audio system, two 12" Kicker subs
« Reply #37 on: October 16, 2012, 03:06:27 PM »

Why?   :nixweiss:

Because any dealer can pull your entire service record. I believe that the more service records there are in the H-D system for a bike, there more excuses there are for the dealer to not do what they are supposed to do when it comes in again. Just my opinion... but I just don't trust dealers to always do the right thing...

Now, having said that, I think H-D of Cartersville is an excellent dealer, with a good service dept. I just had them replace the rear tire on the Honey badger, and they were able to do it the same day I called. Took them less than two hours, including the wash. That was nice!

HoneyBadger Don't Care...

TD AK-20s | Drago's S/C/S-4 | SE 259Es | Feuling 8015/7060/Rods | Black Ops Lifters
Cometics | Big Sucker 2 | Energy One +1 Clutch Pack | Hayden BT07 | ClutchWIZ
WPW Fans | TL P7 LEDs/Aux | Dynamic Ringz | Tour Pak | WO 575s | RT 665
Corbin DualTour | BAH Flush Front Axle | Chrome Calipers
The Wizard's Tune

Phantom309

• 2014 Ultra Limited
  • Elite CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG- light/dark Candy Cherry-sold
« Reply #38 on: December 08, 2012, 03:49:42 PM »

Whatever happened with your buddy about this twolane? I hope he got his $ back. The more digging I do on this site just pisses me off more & more. Its amazing how much bullchit we all put up with to look & sound cool riding down the road..If my old GL 1800 looked & sounded like my RG I'd still have it.
2014 Ultra Limited*Daytona Blue Pearl
MODS
V&H 2-1 Pro Pipe
V&H FP3 Fuelpak

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #39 on: December 08, 2012, 10:47:00 PM »

Whatever happened with your buddy about this twolane? I hope he got his $ back. The more digging I do on this site just pisses me off more & more. Its amazing how much bullchit we all put up with to look & sound cool riding down the road..If my old GL 1800 looked & sounded like my RG I'd still have it.

Last I heard any details was middle of last month.  Was told the dealership never even seriously entertained even a conversation.  He tried to get a chargeback on the credit card for that last service attempts arguing the work was either never done or done but never requested.  At that last conversation he said the cc company had issued a chargeback but that the episode was still considered "under review" so he didn't know for sure if he'd get to keep the amount that had been held when it was all over.

cahdbiker

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #40 on: December 09, 2012, 10:17:39 AM »

Twolanerider, I just got finished reading all the responses to your post. I am hoping your friend took some notes with dates on them on each issue he had with this inept dealer.(and kept all his receipts and credit card statements ) If so he should first call customer service at mother HD with his issue, ask for his money back and make a note of the date and time of his phone call and request in writing a letter from them if they decline his request for a refund. In Ca. small claims court goes up to $5000.00 dollars. I am hoping for your friend's sake you have something similar wherever you are located. Follow the procedures for  small claims court, they usually require the plaintiff to request satisfaction from the defendant in writing prior to filing for a court date. At least here in Ventura County , Ca. they do. If they refuse a refund or fail to respond then he would request a small claims court hearing. You do not take an attorney this is person to person and the judge makes the decision. If he has his paperwork in order and a judge sympathetic to the inept performace of the dealer he will probably win. Then he will get a judgement against them and they have to pay him what they overcharged, or go to superior court. ( if he loses I would drop the issue at that point because superior court usually requires you hire an attorney and in this case moneywise it is not worth it). If the defendant, the HD dealer, fails to show up they automatically lose.( this may not be the same where you are and could have possibly changed since it has been a while since I have been to court) I am not an attorney or in any way associated with any company where I would be allowed to give advice, but I have personally been thru this ( not motorcycle related) and have been successful both times. If I was treated so poorly I would definetly give this a try. Most people break out in a sweat if they get a letter requiring them to pay up or go to court. If he sends a letter to his dealer to refund his money or see him in court make sure he sends a copy to mother HD and the Dealer with a return receipt so he can prove he sent them the letter if he ends up in court.  (I love the dealer's response " the engine is just shot because of the amount of miles") Sorry for the long response, but I just wanted to shed some light on what your friends options may be since I have been thru this myself. If he is not good at speaking in public the judge may let someone talk for him. Best of luck to your friend. CAHDBIKER

2009 SEUC just south of Point Mugu Ventura County, Ca.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #41 on: December 09, 2012, 11:06:30 AM »

He'd gone through the all the hoops he could with the dealer and told me he'd called HD itself also.  Reported the response as (and I'm paraphrasing), "it's a he-said-she-said thing sir so there's no way we can make the dealer refund money you've already paid for service."

The gent we're talking about is a retired lawyer so he'll know the ins and outs in his jurisdiction.  If the defendant truly doesn't give a chit small claims court is a limited excercise though.  At least it is in my state and his.  You can get a judgement, and the business may or may not care about having the judgement on record, but there is no enforcement mechanism.  So if the dealer would choose to say "piss off" there's nothing to be done about it.  Unfortunately his first/best option is likely the credit card chargeback.

cahdbiker

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #42 on: December 09, 2012, 04:48:45 PM »

Twolandrider since your friend is a retired lawyer he knows a lot more then me, so I think the credit card chargeback seems like the quickest remedy. I just wanted to chime in since I had some experience in Ca. small claims and after  about 6 times to court they put a wage garnishment on the guy that owed me the money.  It was funny, because as soon as he knew he was screwed he wanted to be all nice about it, before he was a real  jerk. After they garnished his wages (I knew he wouldn't quit because he had a real good job) it took about a month to get the first payment since it goes to the Sheriff and then when the check clears they send you the money. I had my 2 grand back in about 10 weeks. I was just hoping your friend could get some satisfaction directly from the Harley Dealer.If something like that happened to me with the HD dealer I would try and work it out like gentleman and if they gave me any crap they would be seeing me in small claims court. My local dealer is treats me pretty good and they seem to want to make people happy so I don't think it would ever come to that which a good thing.  I hope your friend lets go of it and just enoys his bike. Take care. CAHDBIKER

He'd gone through the all the hoops he could with the dealer and told me he'd called HD itself also.  Reported the response as (and I'm paraphrasing), "it's a he-said-she-said thing sir so there's no way we can make the dealer refund money you've already paid for service."

The gent we're talking about is a retired lawyer so he'll know the ins and outs in his jurisdiction.  If the defendant truly doesn't give a chit small claims court is a limited excercise though.  At least it is in my state and his.  You can get a judgement, and the business may or may not care about having the judgement on record, but there is no enforcement mechanism.  So if the dealer would choose to say "piss off" there's nothing to be done about it.  Unfortunately his first/best option is likely the credit card chargeback.

2009 SEUC just south of Point Mugu Ventura County, Ca.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #43 on: December 09, 2012, 09:53:27 PM »

Twolandrider since your friend is a retired lawyer he knows a lot more then me, so I think the credit card chargeback seems like the quickest remedy. I just wanted to chime in since I had some experience in Ca. small claims and after  about 6 times to court they put a wage garnishment on the guy that owed me the money.  It was funny, because as soon as he knew he was screwed he wanted to be all nice about it, before he was a real  jerk. After they garnished his wages (I knew he wouldn't quit because he had a real good job) it took about a month to get the first payment since it goes to the Sheriff and then when the check clears they send you the money. I had my 2 grand back in about 10 weeks. I was just hoping your friend could get some satisfaction directly from the Harley Dealer.If something like that happened to me with the HD dealer I would try and work it out like gentleman and if they gave me any crap they would be seeing me in small claims court. My local dealer is treats me pretty good and they seem to want to make people happy so I don't think it would ever come to that which a good thing.  I hope your friend lets go of it and just enoys his bike. Take care. CAHDBIKER

Wage garnishment is a sometimes helpful tool if you've got a judgement.  But you're screwed if the judgement is against someone self employed, a business or someone with other garnishments in line ahead of you.  Especially screwed if the target has child support being withheld.  By statute that comes out ahead of everything.  There's also a Title III (think that's right) limitation of no more than 25% of disposable income for all garnishments.  Less if someone is a head of household.

I've got a couple of prior rental tenants that went to the trouble of getting judgements against for back rents.  Applied garnishements through the local civil process office.  Both had child support being withheld and other garnishments pending.  They knew they were for all intents and purposes beyond the reach of judgement.  Almost makes a guy wish there were still debtors prisons.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Page created in 0.558 seconds with 21 queries.