Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: Water Cool My Bike  (Read 3538 times)

waynel

• Hippie
  • Full CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2011 Electra Glide Ultra Classic
    • CVO2: 2014 Electra Glide Limited
Water Cool My Bike
« on: April 06, 2014, 01:01:01 PM »

I wonder if anyone else has thought of putting the water cooled heads on their older bike. I have a 2011.5 and won't get rid of it for these newer bikes, but I would like to water cool the heads and I know the lowers will have to be changed and painted to match. Anyone else dream of this. Wonder if the newer style lowers will fit my bike. WILL IT WORK!!!!!

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '01 FXDWG2 RED 103 6sp
    • CVO2: '05 FLHTCSE2 CHERRY
    • CVO3: '09 FLTRSE3 YELLOW 117/DD7
Re: Water Cool My Bike
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2014, 01:34:09 PM »

You can make anything work if you spend enough $$.

Probably a lot more involved than just bolting on heads and radiators...

Sensors, ECM wiring harness(s) (changing the whole bike to CAN bus)

It would be a lot cheaper to buy a new CVO Limited and fit the RG fairing and paint the bike, or just wait until the new RG comes out...
"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

cambo

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Breakout
    • CVO2: 2015 Ultra Limited
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2014, 02:21:38 PM »

Also rumor has it that the new RG will have the radiator placed inside the fairing instead of the lowers. Worth the wait...

Cam

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2014, 02:24:32 PM »

Also rumor has it that the new RG will have the radiator placed inside the fairing instead of the lowers. Worth the wait...

Cam

Citation or other source?

cambo

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2014, 02:42:07 PM »

Discussion with the dealership folks regarding their knowledge of HD challenges and efforts to twin-cool SG and RG without adding lower fairings and upsetting the fans.

Cam

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2014, 05:23:01 PM »

Discussion with the dealership folks regarding their knowledge of HD challenges and efforts to twin-cool SG and RG without adding lower fairings and upsetting the fans.

Cam

Got it.  Any idea if their insights actually come from the MoCo or if this was just their best guess what the MoCo might do based on their (the dealerships) own experience with the bikes and guesses as to what might work?

As to retrofitting and the OP; wouldn't be just a head and pump and plumbing bolt on.  The pump is controlled by the ECM.  As a retrofit above and beyond mounting all the new hard parts you'd have control the system.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2014, 07:07:21 PM »

In other words, while it's not necessarily impossible, it would definitely not be easy or inexpensive.  It would be much easier and much less expensive to just add cooling fans to the bike you have.  Check the threads around here on the Wards fans for instance.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

• CVO1: 2011 Slate/Black SERGU** traded
    • CVO2: 2015 Double Blue SERGU
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG Blue
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2014, 07:22:58 PM »

Or just follow me around on bike trips. We took three trips last year and got rained on every trip  >:(
PHOTOBUCKET IS HOLDING MY PIX HOSTAGE!!!

phato1

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011.5 FLHTCUSE6 - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2001 FLSTFI - non CVO, but really cool
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2014, 08:41:25 PM »

Or just follow me around on bike trips. We took three trips last year and got rained on every trip  >:(

See ?? You don't need radiators to have liquid cooling  :huepfenlol2:

but really what fun is a long road trip if it doesn't rain on you at least once.
"The solutions are all simple....after you have arrived at them."     - Robert M. Pirsig

CVOThunder

• Retired avionics squid 1984-2004
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2014, 11:43:00 PM »

Big nod on the cooling fans being the most cost effective method but I hear you wanting water cooling Wayne. Maybe the aftermarket will work their magic if they see a big enough market.
Big depreciation hit on our older ones if there isn't an upgrade path and maybe even that might not be enough to stem the bleeding. Glad HD made some changes but there were enough of them to change values on our older scoots. If we never plan on selling them. O big deal.
2020 Road Glide Limited, 131" kit
2007 Softail Custom
2015 Road Glide Special, denim traded
2011.5 Big Blue Screamin’ Eagle Ultra Classic traded

cambo

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2014, 04:30:03 AM »

Got it.  Any idea if their insights actually come from the MoCo or if this was just their best guess what the MoCo might do based on their (the dealerships) own experience with the bikes and guesses as to what might work?

Good question. The statement was made without hesitation so I assumed it was based on actual feedback from MoCo. It also seemed to make sense as they have to find a way to propagate the technology throughout the range of touring bikes they have with and without lower fairings. Bigger question is what they would come up with for the softails without any type of fairing.

Cam

waynel

• Hippie
  • Full CVO Member
    • LA

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2014, 10:20:03 AM »

Hello Phato1 and CVO Thunder. If I'm not mistaken I think both of you have a 2011.5  Blue C.V.O. Ultra. As you guys know these bikes are absolutely beautiful and nothing they have put together since can compare to the look of this color combination. That is why I am interested in doing this mod. I will be looking into this deeper to see if it is worth getting into.

ultrarider123

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2014, 10:36:51 AM »

Better tune and no cat will help quite a bit on the heat issues (in reality, however, our 110's run hot naturally no matter what we do).  Not sure I'd want to add/retrofit the water heads at this point.  If you want 'em, bite the bullet and get a '15.  Although I did think about this beauty on Saturday....sure love the blue color (what about it, Chip?)

...nah, ain't gonna git rid of Ginger..... ;D
« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 02:37:25 PM by Haird »

ultrarider123

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2014, 10:38:01 AM »

....just a lil bit down and a lil bit every month.... :nervous: :huepfenlol2:

GMR-PERFORMANCE

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2014, 02:33:32 PM »

Cool it down?? well the bike are not going to run cool per say.. I would say a better way is more temperature stable.  They still get pretty hot and then the fans will come on. Myself having ridden dozens of the new twin cooled bikes after we have tuned them will say this. They are very hot in high temps in stop and go traffic. The fans are blowing that heat off the radiators onto you.  Metro areas where we live we dont really state distance as much as we do time to get there. I live 8 miles that is a 30-45 minute drive.  :-\ So think of that plus 105-110 temp with humidity in the 65-80% range and then the heat pouring off the cars and bouncing up off the pavement..  :sauer005:

So cooling it down is a relative term ...   Now we also tune import bikes and they are way worse and many will put the temp gauge into the red zone at a light. Many of the guys shut them off flip run switch back on to let cooling fan run..

Best thing you can do is have it tuned correctly dump the EPA cam remove cat, ceramic coat the head pipe , that will help you a ton, engine cooling fan will help as well.. We do a bunch of cool down items jag oil cooler with fan engine cooling fan, the head pipe coatings and cam and tune. Once that stuff is done the bike becomes much easier to deal with in high heat.
2012 SHARK  S&S 124 150/140   www.gmrperformance.com

HILLSIDECYCLE.COM

• Banned
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2014, 03:30:16 PM »

S&S .570's, set at 10.0 cr, free-flowing Cycle Shack slip-on's, and tune it, is the condensed version to reduce heat. :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:
Scott

phato1

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2014, 07:05:26 PM »

Hello Phato1 and CVO Thunder. If I'm not mistaken I think both of you have a 2011.5  Blue C.V.O. Ultra. As you guys know these bikes are absolutely beautiful and nothing they have put together since can compare to the look of this color combination. That is why I am interested in doing this mod. I will be looking into this deeper to see if it is worth getting into.

It's been stated many times but I'll say it again anyway  ;D. A better flowing exhaust, sans Catalytic converter, with a good tune will do wonders to manage the heat, I installed the Fullsac system and TTS. So will the Wards fans (or something like them). I also installed the lower temperature thermostat for the oil cooler from Wards Parts Werks. These changes have made a world of difference in 1) the amount of heat I and my BSR feel 2) the way the bike runs, it just plain runs better than it did before the mods.
 I'm not sure that adding liquid cooling would reap enough additional benefit to make the labor and expense worth it  :nixweiss:

Instead of adding the wet head system, make it look even better- paint the tourpak -

"The solutions are all simple....after you have arrived at them."     - Robert M. Pirsig

waynel

• Hippie
  • Full CVO Member
    • LA

« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2014, 08:01:58 PM »

tour pak looks great..
« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 08:03:49 PM by waynel »

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2014, 08:34:28 PM »

x2 Tourpak looks great and doesn't hurt that it is BLUE :coolblue:

GMR-PERFORMANCE

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2014, 08:16:36 AM »

It's been stated many times but I'll say it again anyway  ;D. A better flowing exhaust, sans Catalytic converter, with a good tune will do wonders to manage the heat, I installed the Fullsac system and TTS. So will the Wards fans (or something like them). I also installed the lower temperature thermostat for the oil cooler from Wards Parts Werks. These changes have made a world of difference in 1) the amount of heat I and my BSR feel 2) the way the bike runs, it just plain runs better than it did before the mods.
 I'm not sure that adding liquid cooling would reap enough additional benefit to make the labor and expense worth it  :nixweiss:

Instead of adding the wet head system, make it look even better- paint the tourpak -

You hit on something .. THE amount of heat you felt. The fans help this as well  the coating on the head pipe.. It really does reduce the amount of "felt" heat by both riders.   Or do the job half azz'd and still have the heat to deal with.. No short cuts to reducing the heat , but oonce you are done with the mods  it is all worth it :2vrolijk_21:  The blue is a very nice color BTW  :)
2012 SHARK  S&S 124 150/140   www.gmrperformance.com

phato1

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2014, 08:37:41 AM »

Yes, the combination of mods done really did help with the heat. And like I said the bike runs much better.

Thanks for the compliment on the color.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

CVOThunder

• Retired avionics squid 1984-2004
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2014, 05:52:20 PM »

Nice job on the Tourpak Phato. Looks awesome.

Good input on lowering temps without going wet. I still need to do cams, headwork and better tune but the exhaust made a huge difference. Was on the verge of putting mine up for sale since there isn't squat for work here. Working on going back to Astan and could leave by May. If this works out then I'll try to sell off a lot of stuff before going over to build up a nest egg for mods. Shoot, probably a good time to cash out on the extended warranty since it'll just get wasted and it's the one thing (other than cash of course) from going big (S&S124) and the DD7.
2020 Road Glide Limited, 131" kit
2007 Softail Custom
2015 Road Glide Special, denim traded
2011.5 Big Blue Screamin’ Eagle Ultra Classic traded
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.187 seconds with 21 queries.