Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: '11 Cuse5 Big Blue, expectations for engine mods  (Read 942 times)

rrriley

'11 Cuse5 Big Blue, expectations for engine mods
« on: February 06, 2012, 12:48:07 AM »

I am heading to my HD Dealer this week to talk about adding a setup such as V&H Duals, Ovals and a tuner to my FLHTCUSE5, 2011 CVO Ultraglide.  My first Harley (after coming from crotch rockets) was an '02 VRod - even with a 110 motor on the Big Blue, I am still looking to get more oomph out of my bike... my secondary goal is increasing the sound a little bit.  While at Daytone Bike Week last year, I really liked the sound of the Kuryakyn Perfect Storm setup, but both of the dealers in Minnesota that I spoke with recommended V&H over Kuryakyn (in fact, they recomended just about everything over Kuryakyn).

I used to have an '05 FLHTCUSE, but didn't do anything to the engine - I have done a lot of other things to my bikes, but performance engine mods are new to me and a little intimidating, so I am hoping some of you that are running the same (or similar 110) bikes can help me set my expectations appropriately.  One of my riding friends has a similar 110 bike and another friend has a 2011 Gold Wing, any ideas on whether or not I will be able to keep up with the Gold Wing?  How about the Street Glide, should I expect a slow pull away, or blowing the doors of my friends bike?

I know there are a lot of factors, but I don't have anything at this point to understand what to expect, so any ideas or rule of thumbs would certainly help me understand what I am getting myself in to.  BTW - I am posting in this forum since I am looking for feedback from these specific bike owners, once I have that, I plan on doing a little more research on exactly what setup I will have installed.  Thanks for any feedback/experiences you can provide.

Thanks!

RRRiley

backroad Mike

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 Krypto
Re: '11 Cuse5 Big Blue, expectations for engine mods
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2012, 05:05:53 AM »

You will see some gains in performance with adding the items in your post. Mid 90's hp and 100-105 tq is common with a good head pipe, more free flowing mufflers and a good tuner and tune.  If your buddies 110 is stock, you should be able to slowly pull away, but to "blow the doors off" is going to take additional modifications.  As for the gold wing... a 2008 has 118 hp and 125 tq.. To achieve those kind of numbers with your bike you'll need different cams and some head work in addition to exhaust and tune.  You'll need to determine how much your willing to spend.   Anything can be achieved for the right price.   Happy reading.

Fatboy

• 1K CVO Member
  • "Orange Crush" 94Hp / 119Tq
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2012, 07:18:36 PM »

I'd call Jamie Long at FuelMoto and he'll get that bike rocking for a very reasonable price.  :2vrolijk_21:

timo482

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2012, 08:20:35 PM »

trying to get vrod oomph from a big twin is going to require great care.

its easy to get a engine that will have lots of power at 6000 rpm - except the bike is geared to run at 3500 rpm
its easy to get huge torque from the engine - but not at the same time as you get huge hp at 6000
its easy to break the crank
its easy to break the lifters
its easy to spend a lot of bux and be unhappy
its easy to make a engine last a few thousand miles at a time

what takes talent and lots of bux is to get huge hp and torque at 2500 to 4000 rpm that is reliable and wont just blow up in a week.

find a real builder and talk to them.
consider a 120r
do the crank
consider timken

above all - dont be half baked you wont be happy

to

Page created in 0.529 seconds with 21 queries.