Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Different starters  (Read 3942 times)

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
Re: Different starters
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2007, 10:23:14 PM »

Gary,
Reminds of an auction, 07 07 07 06 06 06 05 05 05 04 do i hear 04? ;D Maybe the simplest thing is to take to dealer ( gulp :nixweiss:) and have them check starter.
Well if it is the starter that's the problem and it has to be replaced pay the difference and go chrome. :2vrolijk_21: I've been wishing for mine to go bad so I could go chrome. ;D

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

ccr

• SEEG Cult Senior Member
  • 5k CVO Member
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2007, 04:01:45 AM »

On my bike, my starter went bad, and the dealer was kind enough to allow me to put in chrome for the $100 difference.  A few months later, that starter went bad - in a big way - left me stranded on the side of the road for hours.  I put the chrome back in again, but had to pay the $100 difference again too.

My solution now - Never, Ever, let me repeat - Never, Ever try to start the bike in gear. Always drop back into Neutral for the start.  That, for me and for my bike, seems to be working. 

VAZHOG

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2007, 06:42:28 PM »

On my bike, my starter went bad, and the dealer was kind enough to allow me to put in chrome for the $100 difference.  A few months later, that starter went bad - in a big way - left me stranded on the side of the road for hours.  I put the chrome back in again, but had to pay the $100 difference again too.

My solution now - Never, Ever, let me repeat - Never, Ever try to start the bike in gear. Always drop back into Neutral for the start.  That, for me and for my bike, seems to be working. 

Word To your Mother!

Garznhogs

• Elite CVO Member
  • $$$ heals all

• CVO1: 2004 SEEG
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2007, 09:54:37 PM »

'04 SEEG came w/the 1.4KW Starter also P/N 31335-03

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Proving ONCE AGAIN that this forum knows more than the dealer.   :orange:
And I've always done what Mrs.We said: NEUTRAL and pull in the clutch for starting. Eases the load, plus I have this fear that I'll accidentally let go of the clutch just as it fires up, creating possible laughter from 'the watchers'.      And, there's always SOMEONE watching. 
Meanwhile, my starter seems to work fine for me, but the dealer wants to replace it (and will do the chrome for the difference), but ... if it's working now... boy, I hate to have something replaced that works... :nervous: even for chrome points.
Thanks Gary and Jerry and Mrs. We!  :)  And John, I'm sorry I jacked your thread...it was just so convenient! :-[

:-Jerry
Ness Big Sucker, SuperTrapp 2:1, SERT, Dyno by Cycle-Rama = 107 hp, 108.5 tq. And that's all I need. Oh, wait... a working radio would be nice.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2007, 10:58:43 PM »

Proving ONCE AGAIN that this forum knows more than the dealer.   :orange:
And I've always done what Mrs.We said: NEUTRAL and pull in the clutch for starting. Eases the load, plus I have this fear that I'll accidentally let go of the clutch just as it fires up, creating possible laughter from 'the watchers'.      And, there's always SOMEONE watching. 
Meanwhile, my starter seems to work fine for me, but the dealer wants to replace it (and will do the chrome for the difference), but ... if it's working now... boy, I hate to have something replaced that works... :nervous: even for chrome points.
Thanks Gary and Jerry and Mrs. We!  :)  And John, I'm sorry I jacked your thread...it was just so convenient! :-[

:-Jerry
You are right somebody will see you when that happens. I've got a friend that this happened to. He's a about 6'4" and lucky for him he had long legs because when the bike cranked up in gear when he forgot to pull the clutch in he was chasing the bike across the yard. Luckily it didn't go down and after it was all over and I realized he wasn't hurt I got a good chuckle out of his experience.

In regards to not wanting to replace the starter for chrome for the difference of a regular starter I'm going to have Dave talk to you. There is just something definitely wrong w/not wanting to get an expensive chrome part at a discount. :nervous: That is not something a :pumpkin: owner would/should do. :( :shocked2: :huepfenlol2:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Garznhogs

• Elite CVO Member
  • $$$ heals all

« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2007, 11:10:07 PM »

Yeah, d00d, don't think I'm not tossing it around A LOT!  New chrome starter for $100 = good.  Taking things apart to replace something that I think is working fine = chance of FU.  Hmmm.  Chrome starter, $100.  Polished SS shift linkage $200.  Total, $300.  Wife, $ uhoh. 

Yeah, and go and sic Dave on me. THAT'S just what I need!  :2vrolijk_21:

Ha! and a friend, on a loaner V-Rod from the dealer did almost the same...Popped the clutch and the bike rode out from under him and right into a ditch! Witnesses (there always are) said he just stood there in the street for about 15 seconds, bowlegged, arms outstretched, as he watched the bike wobble on down  :huepfenlol2: (good thing his inseam was taller than any of the bike appendages!) :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2:
Ness Big Sucker, SuperTrapp 2:1, SERT, Dyno by Cycle-Rama = 107 hp, 108.5 tq. And that's all I need. Oh, wait... a working radio would be nice.

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2007, 09:26:00 AM »

Well if it is the starter that's the problem and it has to be replaced pay the difference and go chrome. :2vrolijk_21: I've been wishing for mine to go bad so I could go chrome. ;D

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
WHAT?  You've still got that non-shiny starter on the tricked out  :pumpkin:?  har!  :huepfenlol2: spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2007, 10:19:02 AM »

WHAT?  You've still got that non-shiny starter on the tricked out  :pumpkin:?  har!  :huepfenlol2: spyder
Sad to say that is true. Chrome starter didn't make it high on the priority list as some of the other things I've added. Always wanted it to go bad so I could get it replaced cheap.

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Garznhogs

• Elite CVO Member
  • $$$ heals all

« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2007, 03:42:04 PM »

Ouch! that's worse than catching d00d with his pants down. :-[

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2007, 03:58:02 PM »

Ouch! that's worse than catching d00d with his pants down. :-[
As the B-girl says:  "same-same, GI".  har!  :drink: spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.185 seconds with 25 queries.