Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All

Author Topic: Hawg-Wired Amp's Rock!!  (Read 32013 times)

Robmay

• 2.5K CVO Member
Re: Hawg-Wired Amp's Rock!!
« Reply #30 on: September 16, 2008, 05:22:43 PM »

Any bass in that system?

Rob

wenchal

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLTRU
    • CVO2: 2008 SEUC - SOLD
« Reply #31 on: September 16, 2008, 05:29:02 PM »

Can't you use the 2ohm HW speakers with 1 amp then run the rear's with the stock radio when the tour pak is on?  That's what my plan was.

Jim Kerr

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: '09 SE Road Glide
« Reply #32 on: September 16, 2008, 05:56:20 PM »

Did you also install an internal antenna?  I've had good luck with the Dakota Digital.  Curious as to your experience.

Greg, I agree with you on the Dakota Digital.  Many people have issues with that one.  I went with a Tune Trapper hidden antenna (http://www.ecshylites.citymax.com/catalog/item/604191/721930.htm).  It had good reviews and is not a powered unit (tuner already has an fm preamp).  I've found it works a bit better than the external stock antenna.   No problems at all with it and it's only $40. 

FYI, if you guys have issues with a hidden antenna, you can actually connect two antennas at the same time using a Motorola Y-adapter (http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=265-584).  You can then remove the stock antenna when you don't need it and screw it back in when you do.  I haven't needed to do this yet, but will if I have distant reception problems with the TT. 

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #33 on: September 16, 2008, 06:14:10 PM »

Jim, you're my new CVO stereo consultant / guru!  Thanks again for the info.  I looked at the Tune Trapper 2C2 and it seems like a great option and better price. 

BTW, I'll be in Chicago (Orland Park) the weekend of 9/26-29. Have to attend a Christening on the 27th.  I'm to be a Godfather (not the Italian version).  Would love to see your bike if you're out and about. 

Greg

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

Biscuit

« Reply #34 on: September 16, 2008, 06:30:55 PM »

One more thing I thought of, I read one review that states the CVO Road Glide comes with satalite radio as standard equipment, any truth to that?

MikeD

« Reply #35 on: September 16, 2008, 07:16:28 PM »

One more thing I thought of, I read one review that states the CVO Road Glide comes with satalite radio as standard equipment, any truth to that?

no

I wish!

Robmay

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #36 on: September 16, 2008, 07:17:24 PM »

Jim Kerr

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #37 on: September 16, 2008, 08:08:27 PM »

The Hawg-Wired system has decent base response.  Turns out that the Road Glide faring makes a darn good speaker enclosure.  It sounds like a ported enclosure you'd find in a car.  However, the speakers are only 5.5".  They can only do so much.  They are primarily optimized for mid range (vocals) to highs since that is what you can hear at high speed. 

Here's the tech of it... The Effective Frequency Range of the CX504-70's is 60Hz - 20KHz.  To compare this with a subwoofer, which as a typical frequency range of 20Hz - 20KHz.  In other words, the HW speakers basically start where a sub ends. 

FYI, the HW amps do support sub-out if you are so inclined.  You'd just need a dedicated amp to power the sub.  :pepper:

Robmay

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #38 on: September 16, 2008, 08:15:39 PM »

The Hawg-Wired system has decent base response.  Turns out that the Road Glide faring makes a darn good speaker enclosure.  It sounds like a ported enclosure you'd find in a car.  However, the speakers are only 5.5".  They can only do so much.  They are primarily optimized for mid range (vocals) to highs since that is what you can hear at high speed. 

Here's the tech of it... The Effective Frequency Range of the CX504-70's is 60Hz - 20KHz.  To compare this with a subwoofer, which as a typical frequency range of 20Hz - 20KHz.  In other words, the HW speakers basically start where a sub ends. 

FYI, the HW amps do support sub-out if you are so inclined.  You'd just need a dedicated amp to power the sub.  :pepper:

Thats all I need to know! Saw a bike at the Fat Bagger tent when I was having my RG done that had a pair of speakers in the bottom half of each saddle bag. He had one of those flip out stereo's like Puzzled has. That thing sounded bad azz!

Jim Kerr

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #39 on: September 16, 2008, 09:39:21 PM »

Puzzled's system sounds pretty cool.  Would love to see some pics. 

The HW amp's have three settings.  No cross-over, cross-over and sub.  No cross-over just amplify's 100% of the signal that enters it.  This is a waste of the amp.  You only want to send in what you can hear out.  Anything else unnecessarily wastes power.  The amp has a screw that lets you adjust what you want to hear (set to speaker capability).  The sub setting locks the unit in the low range. 

Soon it will be your turn to do a YouTube video! 

monkeyhuey

« Reply #40 on: November 11, 2008, 03:37:30 PM »

here's a couple of ideas for those of you that really want to push the limits of sound (and money!)..

check out www.loudlids.com (or www.streetstardesigns.com) - they make saddlebag covers that hold 6 1/2 " speakers without taking up much storage space.  You can get the lids primed for $499, add paint for an additional $175 (one color) - or you can get an entire setup including covers, paint, speakers, amp, wiring harness with quick detach for $1525.  I would think these things would rock!!

Now if you want to juice the entire bass response, check out the Blaupunkt THb 200A 70 watt powered 8" self-contained subwoofer.  It is perfectly sized to fit in a tour pak.!  even a chopped tour pak!! You could easily slide it into a saddle bag as well - maybe custom cut some stryofoam padding or something around it.  The amp sells for $199.99 on crutchfield.com.  Kenwood also make a self-contained powered sub, the KSC-SW10 for $249.99, but I doubt it sounds as good as the Blaupunkt....

I have a '01 FLTRSEI2 - pulling the motor and tranny as we speak - juicing the motor to over 100 HP over the winter, and adding a SE 6-speed tranny.  While I have it all apart, I want to drop in a SONY in dash with a Biketronics wiring kit (www.biketronics.com - so I can use my factory handlebar controls), run the Hawg-Wired speakers and amps, and add the blaupunkt sub.  Pez at HOGTUNES made me a custom pair of rear speaker pods for my chopped tour pak and I currently have them loaded with the J&M speakers, but I'm not a fan of them.  My stock radio can't be helping at all though.  I'm not crazy about the HOGTUNES speakers either - but same story - maybe an after market radio will improve the performance of those...  You can get Hertz speaker through Biketronics and I've heard that hey rival the Hawg-Wired stuff - serioiusly heavy duty magnets!  maybe I'll try those..

BUT - my question is, do I have enough power to run all this stuff?  I believe my bike only puts out 35 amps - newer bikes are 45??  right?  anywa I can 'up'my bike to 45 amps while I haev it all apart?

any help on the electrical implications would be greatly appreciated...

thanks

cola

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #41 on: December 19, 2008, 10:40:00 AM »

My Hog-wired showed up. I went with the 4 - speaker setup.
Jim do you think there is room for a sub inside the fairing ????
Thanks, Mike

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #42 on: December 19, 2008, 11:54:34 AM »

BUT - my question is, do I have enough power to run all this stuff?  I believe my bike only puts out 35 amps - newer bikes are 45??  right?  anywa I can 'up'my bike to 45 amps while I haev it all apart?

any help on the electrical implications would be greatly appreciated...

thanks

Stock is 38 amp.  You can up to 45 by just changing the rotor.  It'll be apart in your hands with the other work you're describing anyway.  Good source at good price here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110293937639

Jim Kerr

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #43 on: December 19, 2008, 12:57:53 PM »

My Hog-wired showed up. I went with the 4 - speaker setup.
Jim do you think there is room for a sub inside the fairing ????
Thanks, Mike

It would be very tight to put a sub in the faring.  It would have to be very small and you'd probably have to drill holes through the faring to mount it.  You'd probably have more luck mounting it in a saddlebag or tour pack. 

cola

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #44 on: December 20, 2008, 12:59:19 AM »

I'm not giving up the storage. The wife brings extras, well me too.
Mike
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All

Page created in 0.169 seconds with 21 queries.