Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Author Topic: Tuners maps uploads downloads  (Read 3862 times)

Buckeye_Tuning

• Mister Dick
  • Banned
  • Full CVO Member
Re: Tuners maps uploads downloads
« Reply #30 on: April 22, 2013, 11:58:45 AM »

And... besides what Steve says with dude, there was also a completely different member, on HTT, have the exact same issue.  I was consulted by the bike owner that Steve talks about before he called Steve. I received the pictures, I made the phone calls, etc.

After seeing two different members have the exact same issues... that WAS enough for me.  And this is NOT a matter of a PC3 going bad.  This is NOT a matter of operator error.  This IS a matter of, when breaking rings in, the fuel MUST have some form of control.  On a stock Harley, it IS broken in by the stock base map inside of the ECM.  It IS the correct map for the situation.  It is a VERY specific map.  NO 'learning' needs to go one upon that very first start up.  MOCO loaded a map that worked, and I, me?, recommend the exact same thing for a new build, too.  a SPECIFIC map, not one that needs to learn a wide swing of AFR.  Somehow there were 'issues' with the bike in question.  EMS simply didn't work well for his build.  OK, I will go with that.

But... that does NOT eliminate the need for my opinion of CONTROL should be had when breaking in new rings.

In conclusion... I can NOT, in good conscience, recommend an EMS.  Members here should have some of the facts of engine 101.
Never Ever Forget; Never Ever Forgive

Buckeye_Tuning

• Mister Dick
  • Banned
  • Full CVO Member
« Reply #31 on: April 22, 2013, 12:01:33 PM »

I'm posting while you are Posting Member Porthole.  Does it matter to YOU on YOUR bike, if Ford sells a ton of trucks?  I just post this for YOU to think about whenever the time comes in the future you swap into different pistons... and for the rest of the members, too.  It's YOUR money, right?  If I could simply LOOK at the settings of an EMS, my opinion could be wildly different.  If I could change the settings, they WOULD be quite different.  I LIKE everything about EMS, except for the glaring hole in its scheme of locking out folks.

AND... there is also this: when folks say their bike runs 'great'?  That statement begs the question..... as opposed to what?  Seriously!  If they are like I used to be, the only bike I could compare to was the one I owned.  In truth... it may actually run like chit and leave all kinds of power or even mileage on the table.  But... since it runs 'better' using the butt dyno, one can think it is great.  THAT... is what truly lead me to the place I am now.  Curiosity about what makes the BEST power and runs the nicest, using TOOLS to verify such.  NOT a butt dyno.

Friggin expensive hobby...  owning a Harley, for sure.  I have MORE money in tuning crap than I do in any bike I have owned.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2013, 12:14:13 PM by wurk_truk »

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #32 on: April 22, 2013, 12:14:22 PM »

"Money Effect"-  I own one so it MUST be the best.  

This type of thinking holds NO water in the clear daylight.

And who thinks this way here?
If this is towards me you are way off base. Just because I have a Rev P EMS means nothing to me. It just happens to be on the bike now And, it is not working to what I hoped it would, but I don't blatantly condemn it.

Lets face it, we are talking about a particular brand of bike which if they ran good to begin with this thread would not exist.

I'm not here to 'shill' for anything. 
I tune once and awhile and have a dyno. 
I know a few members here and decided to stop on by..... 

I HATE the money effect and am VERY vocal about that kind of thinking.
I will be a vendor by mid summer and offer members discounts on dyno tunes, right?
for ME to offer customers for sure. 

So who are you since only a few of thousands of members obviously don't know you?
Personally, I find it hard to take your comments seriously. Not to say what you are saying is not true, but you offer no reason to believe. Most of the comments are geared towards "lets make this item look good by making this item look bad".

Screen names mean nothing for the most part, unless your screen name is something like Doc or Steve or JohnS etc
your text under your screen name  :nixweiss:

And the country you chose to have displayed  :nixweiss:

And I am a little confused, are you going to be  vendor and offer similar products for sale here?

Will it be some type of engine management that I can bolt on, plug in my O2's and ride off without dyno tuning?

:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

Buckeye_Tuning

• Mister Dick
  • Banned
  • Full CVO Member
« Reply #33 on: April 22, 2013, 12:32:14 PM »

Will it be some type of engine management that I can bolt on, plug in my O2's and ride off without dyno tuning?

Didn't I say tuning discounts?

NO such thing exists, like Rev Perf would like you to believe.  There ARE limitations with any of these tuning schemes.  Just showing some things that COMMON SENSE should answer.  I am not here to argue with you.  You seem to not 'get it', so I will bow out.  NOT saying you are dumb or anything else, either.  What I am TRYING to show you... ANY swing in AFRs, while seating rings is BAD BAD BAD.  And... since most members online LIKE to increase the power of their bikes?  The choice of any kind of tuner becomes important because some have no clue if they will do a power bump in the future.

Dude....  if you do do a power upgrade, you really DO need a tuner, NOT an EMS type system for that first heat cycle.  Remember THAT when you fire it up with the EMS.

So...  I guess I AM a shill for tuning products in general.  I AM a shill for dyno tuning.  I AM a shill for DIYers to actually 'tune' their bikes.  Why?  Best running bike... NOT a guess from someone 1000s of miles away.  Yup...  I DO like, and believe in, tuning bikes to THE bike in question.  So....  haha... I AM guilty of that.  And Member Porthole....  I am talking to a wider audience than just you, you realize that, right?  I am here to provoke THINKING....  all the way from Bangladesh.... which to most... thats known as OHIO....a third world State, if there ever was one.

Steve Cole

• Manufacturer TTS
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #34 on: April 22, 2013, 02:34:03 PM »

But - I would have to think 1 verified  :nixweiss: issue which may or may not be proven that the RP EMS was the root cause failure doesn't warrant a blanket commendation. Unless the facts are presented.

I can assure you the one that I was involved with the damage was caused by the RevP unit, it was proven. Why it did not work and they could not fix it I do not know. I know that they tried but they could not fix it and if it were that simple I would believe that once they flew to the customers home they would have just replaced the unit with a new one if they thought that would fix it. You asked for verification and that is what I gave you, no more no less. I read about another failure but other than reading about it I cannot confirm anything about that one.
The Best you know, is the Best you've had........ not necessarily the Best.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #35 on: April 22, 2013, 02:50:07 PM »

This type of thinking holds NO water in the clear daylight.

And... this is NOT to say if an EMS is installed on some stockish bike, that it won't work, but it is NOT anything for ME to offer customers for sure.  

I've gone back and read what you've written so far.  You're opinion informing your own decisions as to what to purchase is perfectly understandable.  But it has been informed by no actual data so far as you've explained yourself.

You've said a motor failed.  A new motor.  With EMS installed.  You've also said you had no way of monitoring the EMS to know what was going on.  So you've got zero causative link. 

The motor failed and it had a throttle body.  So it must have been the throttle body.  That statement carries as much weight as yours about the EMS with the facts presented so far.

For all anyone knows the engine was assembled dry or very very wet and rings didn't seal.  Or there was an injector stuck open.  Or there was a wiring fault.  Or.... or.... or....  well.... no one knows. 

Sure, something failed.  But that's all that's known for sure.

I have installed EMS on nine or ten bikes.  One with a newly fired engine.  It happened to work fine each time.  That doesn't mean it didn't on yours.  But there's nothing about your description of the facts so far that proves anything other than coincidental association and a somewhat messianic passion to lay blame.  You don't hesitate to place blame despite the fact you've said yourself you didn't know what was going on. 

Y'know what; that's ok too.  You can have all the suspicions you want.  Unfounded or not.  You just can't expect generally literate users to pay any attention.  You don't have to use EMS.  And I don't have to care.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #36 on: April 22, 2013, 03:01:47 PM »

I can assure you the one that I was involved with the damage was caused by the RevP unit, it was proven.

How?

Steve, in the past you've had issues dealing with clients and/or interested readers here.  It's something you've admitted wasn't always your best skill.  Recently, however, your demeanor has been more helpful and direct without the condescending reactionary tones that had too often been your response in the past.  Personally I found it refreshing. 

Consider how you'd have dealt in the past with someone blaming your product without offering foundation as has been done here?  You'd have gone batchit nuts. It would've accomplished little other than to alienate many who were watching but it would have been your reaction.

This gentleman may have a legitimate beef.  Or he may not.  There's no way for any of us to know based on what he's offered; especially when he's written himself that he didn't know what was going on as it happened and no other foundation has been offered.  Piling on a weakened foundation doesn't add strength.  So if you've got something that does add strength (beyond just saying "me too") please share.  Otherwise you're only trying to preach to an audience that is part of a congregation looking for foundation rather than speculation or unsupported assertion.  The latter is even less effective when it is perceived as competitive speech against another product in your market.

Steve Cole

• Manufacturer TTS
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #37 on: April 22, 2013, 05:10:09 PM »

I'm not preaching to anyone, and this is just why I try my best to stay out of these things. Here is what I know, the customer, not Wurk-truk had the EMS installed by RevP at a show. They were told it was a fresh engine build. The bike did not run correctly after install. They, RevP told him to ride it and it would self tune in. It did not. There were several conversation between RevP and the customer with the issue and the EMS was removed and returned along with the head pipes for checkout as the bike was getting worse. The oil was showing fuel in it and the pipes and plugs were black with soot. The conversations were between Brain and Josh at RevP and the customer. After several attempts by RevP to correct the issue an the oil showing fuel in it after a few hundred miles each time, RevP flew Josh out to the customers to fix it. Josh worked it over and said it's fixed. Customer rode the bike for a few hundred miles and it did the same thing again, only now the engine which had just been redone started showing more blowby. This is the point that I received a phone call about our system and the customer told me what had gone on. So I was not there when all this happened and did not see the motor getting built but it went back to who did the engine work and they said the rings were washed out of it and it scored the cylinders and pistons because of overfueling. Cylinders and pistons were replaced again and the heads cleaned up and the ECM replaced back to stock. Bike was then tuned and it now running fine with a happy customer. To me this is solid proof that the combination was/is fine and the only other thing changed was removal of the EMS system. This all happened several months ago so I hope that I have repeated everything in the proper order from memory. For the record the customer has reported this on other Website's as well, so if it really matters to anyone you can do a little digging and find it out for yourselves. I just don't feel it's my place to give out a customers name.
The Best you know, is the Best you've had........ not necessarily the Best.

Buckeye_Tuning

• Mister Dick
  • Banned
  • Full CVO Member
« Reply #38 on: April 22, 2013, 06:31:24 PM »

And...  I will add that it was the exact same TB and the exact same injectors.  I also talked to the owner and feel it was the tuner.  At least you, twolanerider, know its an opinion, but it is solid enough for ME to go by AND enough for me to state possible issues for other members to review.

And... it IS rare for me to condemn a product completely, too.  I'm NOT Steve...  HAHA!  :pineapple: :pineapple:.  I feel there IS more than one way to do things at times.  But, with a few things Brian told me, like the maps installed ARE very rich to start out, on purpose, amongst others, makes me wonder.  Why wonder at all?  Other solutions fill the bill for right now.  Do I think a true self tuner COULD be had?  Yup!  Just ain't there..... yet.

I just was just trying to point out the EASIEST solution usually isn't the BEST solution.....  and for those that read this thread to THINK first.

Hmmmm.... I guess that I AM a shill.... for actual tuning.  So, I am NOT without an agenda here.  Nor, will I be.  I believe in objective terms like you guys do.  I cannot hold up my end of the EMS argument with documented failure reports.  OK, fine.  But....  I would really LIKE to put up a properly tuned bike against a DIYer TTS tune.  Same bike.  No BS there... what some call a 'good running bike' won't be to others.

I think we are done with this.

Tuning IS fun!  I'm going to work on start up settings on a 120r right now.  I'm thinking some roughness on whacking the throttle, at idle, is because I am giving the bike too much fuel with the AE table.  I get to play with stuff when time permits.

Oh, and for Porthole.  I KNOW Steve Cole, Doc, Lonewolf, Jason from C&S, etc.  Call any of those guys and ask about me a little.  I AM a dumbass for sure, but I am a meticulous kind of guy, to a fault probably.  I DO listen and change my mind when facts warrant such.  And....  I have over $22k in tuning crap to LEARN all I can about things....  more so than tune bikes for folks.  I question everything.  I accept nothing as 'fact'.  But... in this instance there was enough uncertainty to turn me off of this particular product.  We're good, fellas.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #39 on: April 22, 2013, 06:34:06 PM »

I'm not preaching to anyone, and this is just why I try my best to stay out of these things. Here is what I know, the customer, not Wurk-truk had the EMS installed by RevP at a show. They were told it was a fresh engine build. The bike did not run correctly after install. They, RevP told him to ride it and it would self tune in. It did not. There were several conversation between RevP and the customer with the issue and the EMS was removed and returned along with the head pipes for checkout as the bike was getting worse. The oil was showing fuel in it and the pipes and plugs were black with soot. The conversations were between Brain and Josh at RevP and the customer. After several attempts by RevP to correct the issue an the oil showing fuel in it after a few hundred miles each time, RevP flew Josh out to the customers to fix it. Josh worked it over and said it's fixed. Customer rode the bike for a few hundred miles and it did the same thing again, only now the engine which had just been redone started showing more blowby. This is the point that I received a phone call about our system and the customer told me what had gone on. So I was not there when all this happened and did not see the motor getting built but it went back to who did the engine work and they said the rings were washed out of it and it scored the cylinders and pistons because of overfueling. Cylinders and pistons were replaced again and the heads cleaned up and the ECM replaced back to stock. Bike was then tuned and it now running fine with a happy customer. To me this is solid proof that the combination was/is fine and the only other thing changed was removal of the EMS system. This all happened several months ago so I hope that I have repeated everything in the proper order from memory. For the record the customer has reported this on other Website's as well, so if it really matters to anyone you can do a little digging and find it out for yourselves. I just don't feel it's my place to give out a customers name.

So to summarize all this what you "know" is anecdotal.  There is more to this story that I've been made aware.  Also anecdotal though.  So it means no more to any actual fact than what you've shared.  Conveniently left out from Work Truk's episode and the anecdotes shared so far is that Josh and others at RevPerf told the customer who owned the new build that his bung locations were way off, that Josh was told they'd be moved and that, upon later inspection when RP flew Josh on their dime to help out that the position hadn't been changed.

Steve, just like you here, I only get all this anecdotally.  I trust the source.  But I don't have first hand information.  Which is why it's a detail not worth the bother; just like all the other details shared so far. 

The only thing we all presume to know for sure is that there was failure and that this failure coincided with use of EMS.  I personally know of an engine that had a top end job done that used TTS.  The bike never ran right.  The shop actually botched the engine job.  But they tried to blame the tuning device.  I helped the buddy out and we found rings lined up and other stupid problems.  But if he'd just rode it til it broke and listened to the shop he'd be all over forums blaming you.  Fortunately for you he didn't rely on anecdotal reference or someone trying to evade.  He (with help) actually found out what was the matter.  Something no one here has gotten close to really doing.

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
« Reply #40 on: April 22, 2013, 07:30:56 PM »

unless the actual owner of said MC wants to come here and post about it this thread is done
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Page created in 0.244 seconds with 21 queries.