Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: Warped rotors on 08 SERK  (Read 4192 times)

deaf1

• Senior CVO Member
Warped rotors on 08 SERK
« on: July 26, 2009, 07:55:58 PM »

I have about 4k on her and noticed on a long road trip bad pulsing.  It is only when I come to a stop at 1-2mph... Def like a hot-spot on a car rotor

Took it to the dealer and he said it may not be warranty as it is a 'wear' item...  I have read other threads here about the same issue... Any background that I can use as ammo with the dealer?

Thx!

Scott

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: Warped rotors on 08 SERK
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2009, 08:55:11 PM »

I have about 4k on her and noticed on a long road trip bad pulsing.  It is only when I come to a stop at 1-2mph... Def like a hot-spot on a car rotor

Took it to the dealer and he said it may not be warranty as it is a 'wear' item...  I have read other threads here about the same issue... Any background that I can use as ammo with the dealer?

Thx!

Scott

Scott, your dealer is FOS.  Warped rotors or brake pulsation are not a wear item, brake pads are a wear item. 

If you've read the other threads on these late model rotors, you probably already know that H-D has been jerking folks around by changing the runout specs.  H-D manuals previously listed their rotor runout maximum spec as .008", but lately folks are reporting that H-D has changed that to .011".  Most of the automotive world uses .002" as the maximum, fyi.

Brake pulsation can be caused by excessive lateral rotor runout, excessive rotor thickness variation, or out-of-flat mounting surfaces of the rotor or the wheel hub.  All those things need to be checked to properly diagnose a brake pulsation complaint.  Be aware that other folks have reported mismachined wheels causing brake pulsation that could only be corrected by replacing the wheel.

Good luck. 

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Black Diamond

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 11 FLHXSE2 "Vanessa"
    • CVO2: 08 FLHRSE4 "Lexi" "Bike from Hell"
    • CVO3: 02 FLHRSEI "Ruby"
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2009, 09:10:39 PM »

Thx!

Scott

My dealer noticed it during a test ride, told me about it and did a warranty exchange. I thought it was the tires cupping again which caused the "pulse" He check and decide it was both. He already put the new rotors on!

JW

brassspike

• Elite CVO Member
    • NC

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2009, 09:30:33 PM »

Just got the report on my brake pulsing. Dealer replaced rotors and checked them before giving the bike back to me....same runout! They had to replace the front wheel due to bad mounting surface. New tire replaced due to cupping. I wonder if bad wheels are part of our tire problems?
RETIRED! :fireman:

deaf1

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2009, 10:28:40 PM »

Went to the dealer today and one is @ .008 and .075... He is going to order them, for me.. They figure in a few weeks when they come in we will be under the .008.....

Once they go on I will have them check all the other fun stuff as well!

FiveO CVO

• Junior CVO Member
  • SERK's Rule

• CVO1: FLHRSE4 105th Annv #819/1800
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2009, 09:13:55 AM »

Just out of curiosity, you guys with the Anniversary SERK's, what are your numbers out of the 1800.  I'm #819 ( I wanna say March 08 is my production/assembly date) and have close to 5000k on mine and I'm really not noticing any chatter or cupping up front (yet).  Maybe it'll give me a good reason to put on different rims all around.  21" up front, etc.  Don't want to start a thread in another thread, but if I do change out the rims, does that mean I have to lose the ABS system?  I hope my dealer is as compassionate when and if my chit starts that problem.  Aloha, SV
-- MOD's
    Dead Center Cycle fairing - CVO Annv paint by Gene
    Speeds Performance "Speedy Flow" Intake w/'07 A/C Cover off my CVO Springer
    '61- 62 Tank Decals painted to match
    RB Racing 2-1 Exhaust - LSR Black Hole Spyder w/stock O2 sensors
    RB Racing Dual O2 Display gauge on handlebar
    Andrews 54H's Cams w/SE Cam Support Plate & SE Pushrods (Adj)
    30T Evo Industries Primary Sprocket/Chain
    TTS MasterTune
    EZ Up Center Stand
    Redline fluids throughout

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2009, 09:18:47 AM »

Those rotors BLOW!!!! They're using em on many other bikes now too cause they're WAAAY cheaper!!! Check this out:

Lyndall Carraigeless Rotors for SERKs, SERGs, and.....!

:2vrolijk_21: ;)

Hoist! :coolblue:
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2009, 09:35:21 AM »

I have about 4k on her and noticed on a long road trip bad pulsing.  It is only when I come to a stop at 1-2mph... Def like a hot-spot on a car rotor

Took it to the dealer and he said it may not be warranty as it is a 'wear' item...  I have read other threads here about the same issue... Any background that I can use as ammo with the dealer?

Thx!

Scott

Scott

As Jerry (GRC) said, the rotors are covered by warranty.
Mine were replaced at 17600 miles.
Ordered on Wednesday, received on Tuesday.
No problem.

SBB

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

deaf1

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2009, 10:25:27 AM »

Scott

As Jerry (GRC) said, the rotors are covered by warranty.
Mine were replaced at 17600 miles.
Ordered on Wednesday, received on Tuesday.
No problem.

SBB

Yup,  they are on order.. Dealer said with Sturgis the MoCo is going nutz, so it will be next week.....

I love his quote..... Sturgis  95% Doctors and Lawyers - 5% Bikers...

brassspike

• Elite CVO Member
    • NC

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2009, 12:32:28 PM »

Just out of curiosity, you guys with the Anniversary SERK's, what are your numbers out of the 1800.  I'm #819 ( I wanna say March 08 is my production/assembly date) and have close to 5000k on mine and I'm really not noticing any chatter or cupping up front (yet).  Maybe it'll give me a good reason to put on different rims all around.  21" up front, etc.  Don't want to start a thread in another thread, but if I do change out the rims, does that mean I have to lose the ABS system?  I hope my dealer is as compassionate when and if my chit starts that problem.  Aloha, SV

Don't remember the number. I can't look at the bike...it has not been here for close to a month! I used to call it my garage queen instead of road king since it sat there broken for a couple of week before they picked it up. :(
I would suggest that the wheels be checked. Mine seemed to be the wheel causing the problem. So far they have replaced the TBW, the front wheel, front tire, front rotors, added my LB pads, and are now looking at oil consumption. Lucky that I kept the 98 DWG. I still have a bikey.

kb

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 08 serk twilight/cobalt blue
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2009, 09:00:07 PM »

I had noticed some time ago that I felt a brake pulsating on my 08 SERK. I dropped it off at the dealer on Wed. They called me Thurs. said my bike was ready for pickup and the rotors only had very little runout on them so warranty would not cover the cost.My warranty expires Sept 15 2009.I don't think I can put enough miles on them in short time ,to get them to warp. I was considering buying an ESP plan but it always cover everything BUT what is broken, any one have any idea? thanks kb
« Last Edit: August 07, 2009, 09:07:00 PM by kb »
kb

brassspike

• Elite CVO Member
    • NC

« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2009, 09:59:29 PM »

Have them check the mounting surface of the wheel to rotor. They have had issues with this area. There should be no run out here. If ther is...new wheel.

Texas 103

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • TX

• CVO1: 2016 "RGU"
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2009, 07:20:57 AM »

Scott, your dealer is FOS.  Warped rotors or brake pulsation are not a wear item, brake pads are a wear item. 

If you've read the other threads on these late model rotors, you probably already know that H-D has been jerking folks around by changing the runout specs.  H-D manuals previously listed their rotor runout maximum spec as .008", but lately folks are reporting that H-D has changed that to .011".  Most of the automotive world uses .002" as the maximum, fyi.

Brake pulsation can be caused by excessive lateral rotor runout, excessive rotor thickness variation, or out-of-flat mounting surfaces of the rotor or the wheel hub.  All those things need to be checked to properly diagnose a brake pulsation complaint.  Be aware that other folks have reported mismachined wheels causing brake pulsation that could only be corrected by replacing the wheel.

Good luck. 

Jerry

Have  the same issue with my '09 not enough run to warranty them but bugs the chit out of me Solution...Get em hot as hell.(.several controlled ..get an handfull but don't lock it up..stops using almost all the front brake) ..hit 'em with the garden hose...repeat... got this straight from a  HD Tech will will remain nameless...
Too Much of a good thing is just right !! Then more is always better

Black Diamond

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2009, 10:36:56 AM »

Have them check the mounting surface of the wheel to rotor. They have had issues with this area. There should be no run out here. If ther is...new wheel.

Since putting on the new ME 880, I noticed the pulsing of the front brake again. New rotors ordered. Brassspike, I'll make sure this is being checked. I won't be surprised they are already doing this.

JW

kb

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 08 serk twilight/cobalt blue
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2009, 02:15:01 PM »

Just ended a phone call with customer service. They gave me a reference# to give to the dealer. However they are putting the dealer in the hot seat saying that it is the dealers decision weather or not rotors should be replaced. Everybody agrees that the rotors are warped and will need replacement shortly. It seems the big issue i$ who pays? I maintain that once a rotor is warped and pulsating it will never get better by itself. It is just the matter of time. I am sick of paying manufactures and dealers who won't or just don't care about backing up their product.They all boast about how good they are in this department. I guess I'll find out shortly. KB
kb

brassspike

• Elite CVO Member
    • NC

« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2009, 04:22:21 PM »

They are trying to wear you down. Keep pounding!!  :soapbox:

slsecvorg110

• Full CVO Member
  • FLTRSE3 CV0

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2009, 12:18:21 PM »

Rear rotor warped on my 09 SERG. I put a dial indicator on it and it showed to be .05 out. Dealer said that is OK. I get an echo of the dragging noise as I pass solid objects at a slow speed. It is very annoying. Not to mention the extra heat that is generated by the constant added friction.

Orange you glad you got one?  I am!
TTS Mastertune with Fullsac Map. K&N Element.
Fullsac 2" Baffles, Gutted Cat. Bosch Iridium Plugs. 440 Progressive shocks, Passenger floor boards with angle spacers, Driver boards spaced 1". LePera Sorrento Seat. ClearView Re curve wind shield. Mini Beast air horn. Pulsing brake light module. Hyper white head lamps. Detach Chopped Tour Pack. George Anderson Tour Pack Relocator. Wild one 517 bars.

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2009, 12:44:59 PM »

John, 56fle, had the same problem with his rotors and were replaced while here visiting. Seems this was about the third time or more. I think he has about 45k on his bike now. Warranty has been a good investment for him.

brassspike

• Elite CVO Member
    • NC

« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2009, 04:40:02 PM »

Well the garage queen is finally back home. New tire, rotors, wheel. and throttle (TBW) Since the front brakes were FUBAR and the rears were squealing, I left them a set of LRB pads. Everything was covered but they charged me for installing the pads. Good grief. They had to install new pads for the rotors anyway. They got to keep the new HD pads. Back and forth we go. We get to the rear pads and he says they were going to put some goop on the pads (been there before) not replace them. I counter that the stuff goes on the back of the pad so they have to come out anyway........I finally paid them for installing the rear pads and they delivered the bike which was a pretty long drive. The pick up and delivery was way nice but they spoiled a good experience by trying to snake me on the brake thing. Go figure.

guppytrash

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2009, 10:48:25 PM »

Scott

I was commenting to a HD salesman how much nicer the RK, SERG, Vrod rotors look vs my big chunky disc on the USE4 and his reply to me was.."yea they look nice but they have a problem with warping".  I guess you are one of many.  I still think they look great.
Good Luck.  I agree with the comment warping is not a wear item.

56FLE

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011.5 - FLHTCUSE6 "Big Blue"
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2009, 11:16:21 PM »

John, 56fle, had the same problem with his rotors and were replaced while here visiting. Seems this was about the third time or more. I think he has about 45k on his bike now. Warranty has been a good investment for him.

Yep, HD has replace under warranty my front rotors 4 times, just like clock work they last about 10K maybe a little more, first time they where replaced at 12K, then 23K, then 31K and the last time at 45K. Each time both rotors are replaced.

Black Diamond

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2009, 11:31:36 PM »

Getting my 3rd set with 25000 miles on her.

JW

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2009, 12:04:12 AM »

Yep, HD has replace under warranty my front rotors 4 times, just like clock work they last about 10K maybe a little more, first time they where replaced at 12K, then 23K, then 31K and the last time at 45K. Each time both rotors are replaced.

Getting my 3rd set with 25000 miles on her.

JW

This whole rotor thing is amazing to me. Most everyone's seem to go. 31K on my originals, and still doing fine. I'm actually shocked! Don't know if my heart can take it! Lyndall SS''s will be going on when they come out this fall. Not pushing my luck with these! ;)

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Harley Guy

• Elite CVO Member
  • RIDE ON ...............
    • OH

• CVO1: 2009 CVO Ultra Classic.... Ruby - sold
    • CVO2: 2015 CVO Limited........... Dirty Blonde
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2009, 08:01:14 AM »

I will chime in.....    2009 SEUC

I reported the bad pulsing at the 5,000 service.  No action.

Then when I had the bike in for minor warranty item at 8,400, I told them again. The pulsing had gone from bad to TERRIBLE.  They reported that they did not rotors in stock and this was a wear item.

I have scheduled a 10,000 service for next Thursday WITH the brake rotors needing to be REPLACED. They have been checking on warranty for the last week and have not called me. TODAY, I will be calling HD customer service.

$40,000 bike - rotors are not a wear item in the first 5,000 to 10,000 miles.

Black Diamond

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2009, 09:27:29 AM »

This whole rotor thing is amazing to me. Most everyone's seem to go. 31K on my originals, and still doing fine. I'm actually shocked! Don't know if my heart can take it! Lyndall SS''s will be going on when they come out this fall. Not pushing my luck with these! ;)

Howie

This is your only Harley part that has not caused you a problem. If ain't broke, don't fix it!  ;D

JW

Texas 103

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • TX

• CVO1: 2016 "RGU"
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2009, 09:59:21 AM »

I will chime in.....    2009 SEUC

I reported the bad pulsing at the 5,000 service.  No action.

Then when I had the bike in for minor warranty item at 8,400, I told them again. The pulsing had gone from bad to TERRIBLE.  They reported that they did not rotors in stock and this was a wear item.

I have scheduled a 10,000 service for next Thursday WITH the brake rotors needing to be REPLACED. They have been checking on warranty for the last week and have not called me. TODAY, I will be calling HD customer service.

Not True according to my dealership...I think the magic number is  either 0.08 or 0.10 run out before they will replace under warranty...maybe it's just a dealer thing...IF so you know what to do next... 

Too Much of a good thing is just right !! Then more is always better

56FLE

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011.5 - FLHTCUSE6 "Big Blue"
« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2009, 11:58:04 AM »

Howie

This is your only Harley part that has not caused you a problem. If ain't broke, don't fix it!  ;D

JW
I agree, I am amazed that Hoist's rotors lasted 31K. Guess he doesn't stop very often.  :confused5:

No really, your rotor lasting 31K, wow, usually mine will work great until about 9500 miles, then I start feeling a little pulsing, after 10K the pulsing gets worse and after about 11K you can't stop at 5 mph without thinking you are on a bucking horse.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2009, 12:09:38 PM »

I agree, I am amazed that Hoist's rotors lasted 31K. Guess he doesn't stop very often.  :confused5:

No really, your rotor lasting 31K, wow, usually mine will work great until about 9500 miles, then I start feeling a little pulsing, after 10K the pulsing gets worse and after about 11K you can't stop at 5 mph without thinking you are on a bucking horse.

The only thing I can think of that saves them is that I use PM differential bore calipers, not HD or the HD Brembos. So maybe that says something right there! I've had them PM's on for at least 25K of those miles. ;)

Harley Guy

• Elite CVO Member
  • RIDE ON ...............
    • OH

• CVO1: 2009 CVO Ultra Classic.... Ruby - sold
    • CVO2: 2015 CVO Limited........... Dirty Blonde
« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2009, 12:47:53 PM »

I will chime in.....    2009 SEUC

I reported the bad pulsing at the 5,000 service.  No action.

Then when I had the bike in for minor warranty item at 8,400, I told them again. The pulsing had gone from bad to TERRIBLE.  They reported that they did not rotors in stock and this was a wear item.

UPDATE - I just got off the phone with the Milwaukee Customer Service. The replacement rotors WILL BE covered under warranty when I take the bike in next week. I was polite, but firm and kept the concept of $40,000 and a safety issue in the forefront of the conversation!  

bye with a smile......

brassspike

• Elite CVO Member
    • NC

« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2009, 01:54:31 PM »

Update. Got to ride the bike. Brakes are great!!   ....But (you know there had to be) The throttle sticks. It was pretty dangerous. Called the dealer and he says it can't there are no cables. Ended up at another dealer to have the replacement throttle replaced. Servide guy twisted it and winced. This has got to be fixed. Works great now. BSR is not confident that "her" road king is up to a trip just yet. I guess I'll just enjoy the brakes while they last. :'(
Thanks for letting me vent!
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.28 seconds with 21 queries.