Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Sturgis W/O Rally  (Read 2160 times)

wreckman 42

• Full CVO Member
Sturgis W/O Rally
« on: May 25, 2009, 04:21:58 PM »

My riden buddy and I can't go during the rally. We are thinking about hitting Sturgis in mid July and the doing some site seeing in the area. Is Sturgis worth going to when the rally is not in force? It is a 1400 mile ride from Pa.
1956 FL Panhead
2001 FXDWG2 Switchblade
2003 Heritage Softail
2009 SE Ultra Classic

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
Re: Sturgis W/O Rally
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2009, 04:28:15 PM »

My riden buddy and I can't go during the rally. We are thinking about hitting Sturgis in mid July and the doing some site seeing in the area. Is Sturgis worth going to when the rally is not in force? It is a 1400 mile ride from Pa.

There is nothing special about Sturgis itself without the rally, but riding the Black Hills and the surrounding area is about as good as riding gets.  Do a bit of research before you go and you can plan a fantastic ride every single day for about a solid week.  Incredible roads and views.  Deadwood is a great town to call headquarters for the week!   :2vrolijk_21:
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2009, 04:42:18 PM »

There is nothing special about Sturgis itself without the rally, but riding the Black Hills and the surrounding area is about as good as riding gets.  Do a bit of research before you go and you can plan a fantastic ride every single day for about a solid week.  Incredible roads and views.  Deadwood is a great town to call headquarters for the week!   :2vrolijk_21:
I concur, it's beautiful out there. :2vrolijk_21: I've done the rally once, but would love to go back during non-rally time just to enjoy all that area has to offer w/o the crowds.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Indenial

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 SE Road Glide
    • States Riden on 2009 CVO
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2009, 05:29:51 PM »

Actually, going when the Rally is not in progress allows for a lot more riding. It's just not a crowded and no lines. It loses some of the ambiance though.  Much safer without all the idiots. Don't miss Devil's Tower----one of the prettiest rides out there (from Sundance side). A lot of people are starting to go the week before to enjoy the riding. There are still a lot of vender booths set up that time, as they are realizing people start coming then to ride.
I just finished the pile of junk I needed to work on before I get to the stuff I should be doing----

wreckman 42

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2009, 05:42:38 PM »

I think we will hit the town for a cold one or two and so we can say we made it. We will the do some rideing around the area.
1956 FL Panhead
2001 FXDWG2 Switchblade
2003 Heritage Softail
2009 SE Ultra Classic

flhse

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2004 FLHTCSE
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2009, 08:50:16 PM »

There is a Corvette rally in Spearfish starting on July 16 and runs through the 19th.  Probably a couple hundred Vette's running around, they have a gathering Saturday night in downtown Spearfish.  If your in the neighborhood, fun time.  I've been there a few times for it.

Enjoy the trip.

Brad

unclejaz

• CVO1: FLSTFSE2
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2009, 10:59:11 PM »

I would go again!I got there the last night of the Sturgis rally and thought it was great timing.I woke up sat morning and hit the black hills you could spend at least 3 or 4 days just riding around I rode in the day and then raced back to Gillette WY every night to watch fireworks[the covention just so happened to be there last year].I was there for a week and wish I had 1 more.You would also be 1 day from
yellowstone.I am planning a 10 day trip early July from Minneapolis Minnesota to Sandpoint Idaho via Glacier park,yellowstone,blackhills and possibly Williston North Dakota.I can't wait to get out there again.

Here is a sample.
James

Buy early

• 5k CVO Member
  • My future if I were Benjamin Button

• CVO1: 2001 FXDWG2 Switchblade - The Beast
    • CVO2: 2004 FXSTDSE2 Deuce - Beauty
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2009, 11:04:29 PM »

As a native South Dakotan, I can say with certainty that any time is a great time to go to the Black Hills! The skiing and snowmobiling are great in the winter and the riding and sightseeing are great the other 3 seasons of the year.

Be aware that there is a lot of cage traffic out there during tourist season. The cages generally know about bike week and avoid the hills during that time. You can easily spend 4-5 days riding the area. Devils Tower is a day trip, the Badlands are a must see day trip. Get down to the Mammoth site in Hot Springs and up to Bear Butte outside of Sturgis. Sturgis is no great shakes except during bike week. You will miss the vendors but you will get a lot more riding done.

You will not regret going!

Screamin

• 5k CVO Member
  • Number 641

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2 Cherry
    • CVO2: 2019 Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2009, 11:38:38 PM »

Sad is right.

Sturgis a week after the rally

wreckman 42

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2009, 12:06:50 AM »

I think that we pretty much made our minds up to go. I am looking forward to some hard riding. Not looking forward to going through Chicago though.
1956 FL Panhead
2001 FXDWG2 Switchblade
2003 Heritage Softail
2009 SE Ultra Classic

unclejaz

• CVO1: FLSTFSE2
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2009, 01:27:57 AM »

I took a trip from Minneapolis Minnesota to Kalamazoo Michigan and instead of going around Chicago,Gary both scary I took the ferry from
Milwaukee Wisconsin to Muskegon Michigan a very nice exspeiance.Just bring you own tie downs as theirs are questinable.Here is the name of the place lake-express.com
                                    James
James

Buy early

• 5k CVO Member
  • My future if I were Benjamin Button

• CVO1: 2001 FXDWG2 Switchblade - The Beast
    • CVO2: 2004 FXSTDSE2 Deuce - Beauty
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2009, 08:47:47 AM »

I agree on the ferry ride. Very enjoyable way to avoid Chicago traffic!

LarryB

• Tennessee Squire
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 FLTRSE3 The Grey Ghost
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2009, 09:32:47 AM »

we go the week before the rally. saves me large$ and get the best rooms. most of the vendors are set up in Sturgis the week before and drag over a couple days. The riding is better because there are less novices. ill be there the last week of july, staying at Spearfish lodge.
If you get into Rapid City, which you should, check out the Hotel Alex Johnson. way old and cool.
Take it Easy Greasy Cuz it's a long walk home.

Did I shave my head for this?

Gecko

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2009, 12:40:04 PM »

I've gone the last sixteen years and lately go the week before.  It gets to be a wiggling mass the week of the rally, and most of what I like to do doesn't involve crowds.  Easier to get to places and in places.  It is busy enough the week before.  I'd say go whenever you can.
2007 SERK3, SERT, V&H Dresser Duals, Monster Ovals, IDS, HID, knocking sound, valve noise.

If you think it's the journey not the destination you don't live in Nebraska.

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2009, 01:21:47 PM »

Don't miss Devil's Tower----one of the prettiest rides out there (from Sundance side). A lot of people are starting to go the week before to enjoy the riding. There are still a lot of vender booths set up that time, as they are realizing people start coming then to ride.

:2vrolijk_21:

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.161 seconds with 20 queries.