Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: I love the bike, but...  (Read 4053 times)

woode

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: Anniversary FLHTCUSE8
    • CVO2: (Retired) Ruby Red FLHTCUSE4
I love the bike, but...
« on: March 23, 2009, 11:05:00 PM »

There are still a couple of things that bug me. 

The mirrors seem low, and I have to consciously look down to see in them, which takes my attention away from the road.  It's the first touring model that I've ridden, so I don't know if it's normal or not, but I'm used to having the mirrors at eye level. Are taller mirrors or exensions available?

Throttle-by-wire...  I don't know if I can blame this new throttle system or not, but it seems that throttle control at slow speeds is uneven and unpredictable.  Example - a sharp right-hand turn from a stop seems awkward and tenuous to me, and I think it's because of the throttle response.  I had similar symptoms occasionally on my Heritage, but for a different reason.  With that bike, rolling the throttle from a stop would occasionally burp and backfire, causing imbalance.  In that case, it was corrected by replacing the EFI jets, and the problem never recurred.   This is less of an occasional burp, and more consistent response issue.  I'm sure that I will get used to it & compensate by rolling on more throttle than I normally would.  Otherwise, it seems to be OK once I get rolling.

Is it just me?

Ed

muddypaws

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2012 FLHTCUS7

• CVO1: 2005 CVO
    • CVO2: 2009 CVO SEUC
    • CVO3: 2017 CVO LIMITED
    • Re/Max
Re: I love the bike, but...
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2009, 07:36:02 AM »

I noticed the same thing with my throttle. The dealer looked at me as if I was nuts. Go figure.
Bill

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2021 CVO Limited
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2009, 10:32:38 AM »

The mirrors seem low, and I have to consciously look down to see in them, which takes my attention away from the road.  It's the first touring model that I've ridden, so I don't know if it's normal or not, but I'm used to having the mirrors at eye level. Are taller mirrors or exensions available?

Throttle-by-wire...  I don't know if I can blame this new throttle system or not, but it seems that throttle control at slow speeds is uneven and unpredictable.  Example - a sharp right-hand turn from a stop seems awkward and tenuous to me, and I think it's because of the throttle response.  I had similar symptoms occasionally on my Heritage, but for a different reason.  With that bike, rolling the throttle from a stop would occasionally burp and backfire, causing imbalance.  In that case, it was corrected by replacing the EFI jets, and the problem never recurred.   This is less of an occasional burp, and more consistent response issue.  I'm sure that I will get used to it & compensate by rolling on more throttle than I normally would.  Otherwise, it seems to be OK once I get rolling.

Is it just me?

Ed

It took me a bit of adjusting the mirrors and then getting used to the mirrors on mine too.  As far as the throttle, I think that's something that they should be able to smooth out with final tuning on your bike.  Someone else may be able to chime in here with a better explanation, but I think there is an adjustment that sets the throttle to it's absolute zero point correctly.

Harley Guy

• Elite CVO Member
  • RIDE ON ...............
    • OH

• CVO1: 2009 CVO Ultra Classic.... Ruby - sold
    • CVO2: 2015 CVO Limited........... Dirty Blonde
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2009, 10:53:59 AM »

Is it just me?

Ed

IT IS NOT JUST YOU.....

I have the same two issues - after 500 miles.

My old 2004 Heritage Classic did have higher mirrors - I have adjusted the mirrors 2-3 times already on the new bike and it is getting better.

As for the throttle - a couple of times (5-6), I even stalled the bike.  I don't think I stalled the Heritage more than 2-3 times total in five years. I guess I will have to practice, as in ride, ride, ride........... ::)

woode

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2009, 01:15:42 AM »

Well, I found that H-D actually makes mirror extensions (91907-87), which add 2 inches in height to the mirrors.  I installed them today, and it makes a HUGE difference in rear visibility.  Highly recommended.

Still have the throttle problems.  It sometimes sticks open when I let go of the throttle - doesn't spring back very well all of the time.  I'm also finding that for low speeds, you really have to finesse the clutch a lot more, and roll on more throttle to compensate for poor throttle response.

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2009, 01:29:20 AM »

Well, I found that H-D actually makes mirror extensions (91907-87), which add 2 inches in height to the mirrors.  I installed them today, and it makes a HUGE difference in rear visibility.  Highly recommended.

Still have the throttle problems.  It sometimes sticks open when I let go of the throttle - doesn't spring back very well all of the time.  I'm also finding that for low speeds, you really have to finesse the clutch a lot more, and roll on more throttle to compensate for poor throttle response.

If you get those extensions for the mirrors, please let me know.  I'd like to get a look at your bike with them on there.  Even though I have gotten used to the positioning of the mirrors, I wouldn't mind making life a little easier if they look okay with the extensions.  We have to get together one of these days for a ride one way or the other.

LarryB

• Tennessee Squire
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 FLTRSE3 The Grey Ghost
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2009, 06:16:37 AM »

if you adjust the angle of the controls, you can get different angle of the mirrors, mine are just fine.
The throttle issues are compounded by the hydro clutch.
If the throttle sticks, get it serviced. mine needed it at 3k, fine now.
hard part is keeping the front wheel on the ground
Take it Easy Greasy Cuz it's a long walk home.

Did I shave my head for this?

SERK3

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 07 FLHRSE3
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2009, 06:48:18 AM »

It took me a bit of adjusting the mirrors and then getting used to the mirrors on mine too.  As far as the throttle, I think that's something that they should be able to smooth out with final tuning on your bike.  Someone else may be able to chime in here with a better explanation, but I think there is an adjustment that sets the throttle to it's absolute zero point correctly.

Hey Bro, I have seen pics of bikes like yours and Harley Guy's and thought good looking ride, but i seen one yesterday at Smokey MTN. Harley,live and in person, Man i gotta say that is one sweet looking ride. Guess it was a good thing it was not on the show room floor  :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:
07 SCREAMIN EAGLE ROAD KING, RAZOR RED WITH GOLD FLAMES
V&H DUALS WITH HI-OUTPUT SLIP-ONS, ZIPPERS THUNDER MAX w/AUTOTUNE, NESS BIG SUCKER, LED TURN AND BRAKE LIGHTS. FARING, HARD BAGS & KING TOUR PAK.
LIVE EASY, RIDE HARD

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2009, 07:13:46 AM »

Hey Bro, I have seen pics of bikes like yours and Harley Guy's and thought good looking ride, but i seen one yesterday at Smokey MTN. Harley,live and in person, Man i gotta say that is one sweet looking ride. Guess it was a good thing it was not on the show room floor  :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:

When I saw mine on the floor, I immediately said I'll take it and please have someone move it off the floor so noone touches it, all in one breath.  I don't think I was standing next to the bike for 10 seconds when I said this, but then I was looking for one and had seen the other color combos, and was waiting to find one this color.  I had decided up front that if I found one, and liked the colors in person, it was going to be mine...so I didn't hesitate a bit.

woode

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2009, 08:57:00 AM »

If you get those extensions for the mirrors, please let me know.  I'd like to get a look at your bike with them on there.  Even though I have gotten used to the positioning of the mirrors, I wouldn't mind making life a little easier if they look okay with the extensions.  We have to get together one of these days for a ride one way or the other.
Here are a few quickie photos from my cell phone.  Sorry, didn't have time for better this morning.

Ed

woode

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2009, 08:57:46 AM »

woode

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2009, 08:58:22 AM »

woode

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2009, 08:59:02 AM »

And finally, #4

woode

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2009, 09:03:29 AM »

if you adjust the angle of the controls, you can get different angle of the mirrors, mine are just fine.
The throttle issues are compounded by the hydro clutch.
If the throttle sticks, get it serviced. mine needed it at 3k, fine now.
hard part is keeping the front wheel on the ground
Yes, but for me, it's not a matter of angle, the mirrors are just too low.  I have to take my eyes off of the road and look down at them.  I prefer to have them at eye level.

The throttle sticking has gotten worse since the 1000 mile check, so I guess it has to go back in to the shop!

Jbbrown73

• Elite CVO Member
    • IL

• CVO1: 2015 CVO RG Ultra
    • CVO2: 2002 FLHRSEI (Brandywine)
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2009, 10:18:45 AM »

I don't know if you're bike has been tuned, or you're planning on tuning it, but if you tune it with a TTS Mastertune you can adjust the sensitivity of the TBW in one of the tables.  You can make it react very similarly to the cable system you're used to, or even more sensitive if you desire.  I think the new Super SERT will as well.  I have the TTS and with some minor tweaking on this table made it much much better.
Carterville, (Southern) Illinois (that would be 350 miles south of Chicago)
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.169 seconds with 20 queries.