Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fall Riding Gear.........  (Read 2334 times)

Copper/Black Cvo

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 Screaming Eagle Road King
Fall Riding Gear.........
« on: November 10, 2007, 06:25:55 PM »

Just came from my local Harley Dealership, had a full size clear windshield, pager/alarm, passenger floorboards installed, PIAA Headlight Bulb Kit installed...  The bike is really coming together nicely :2vrolijk_21:

The saleman was stating how Great the Harley Heated Gloves & Vest are for riding during the fall here in the northeast...

Are the Harley Brand Heated Gloves & Harley Brand heated Vest is worth the investment? :nixweiss:

Or are there other brands that I should look into?

He stated the gloves & Vest have a plug that connects to your battery and allow you to regulate the warm via a thermostat...

Sound Great but do they work??? :nixweiss:

Whats the census out there in the real world....

2008 Screaming Eagle Road King

VAZHOG

• 1K CVO Member
Re: Fall Riding Gear.........
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2007, 06:27:07 PM »

Bubba

• 1K CVO Member
  • LIVE TO RIDE! RIDE TO EAT!

• CVO1: 2006 CUSE B/S
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2007, 08:38:56 PM »

Just came from my local Harley Dealership, had a full size clear windshield, pager/alarm, passenger floorboards installed, PIAA Headlight Bulb Kit installed...  The bike is really coming together nicely :2vrolijk_21:

The saleman was stating how Great the Harley Heated Gloves & Vest are for riding during the fall here in the northeast...

Are the Harley Brand Heated Gloves & Harley Brand heated Vest is worth the investment? :nixweiss:

Or are there other brands that I should look into?

He stated the gloves & Vest have a plug that connects to your battery and allow you to regulate the warm via a thermostat...

Sound Great but do they work??? :nixweiss:

Whats the census out there in the real world....

Yes they work BUT I would not waste my money on the vest I would buy the Jacket because your arms will get cold, the price difference between the jacket and vest I WOULD PAY THE EXTRA AND GET THE JACKET!!!!

You will also need to get the duel thermostat control as the temp between the gloves and the jacket will be different. 
I just bought the jacket as my bike has the heated grips so I thought I did not need the gloves  but I did get the duel control as my wife can plug and control her side and I can control my side that way all is happy...   ;D ;D ;D
Any-day above ground is worth living so let's go riding!!!

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2007, 10:26:58 AM »

Here are links to several threads about heated clothes, that we had going a few years ago:

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=3405.0

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=1183.0

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=334.0

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=4341.0

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=168.0

There were a few more but these should give you all the info. that you need.  The search feature on this forum will bring up a wealth of information.

I went to the BMW dealership and bought two of their plug recepticles (they have spring loaded caps or doors) and mounted them just under my seat frame, above the primary. 

I have the jacket and gloves (I have the pants and sox too, but have never needed them) and they're t-stat controlled.  I plug in one recepticle under the seat and she plugs into the other. 

The great thing about these besides just looking real clean is that when you're sitting on the side of the road after dark, trying to hook everything up, it only takes on hand to plug in, not two seperate cords into each other.

Like Bubba suggested.......go for the jacket rather than the vest......that way your arms stay warm, too.  They're worth their money.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2007, 10:31:41 AM »

I went to the BMW dealership and bought two of their plug recepticles (they have spring loaded caps or doors) and mounted them just under my seat frame, above the primary. 

Another source for many different bracketry options with power plugs is www.powerletproducts.com .  BMW type power plugs or others.  Lots of options there if you happen to need them.

Copper/Black Cvo

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 Screaming Eagle Road King
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2007, 02:40:48 PM »

Thanks, :2vrolijk_21: JCZ for all those great links on heated riding gear.....

Read them all, and actually got a better understanding on the subject....

But here is my question,  Are there any current (2006-2007) threads on this subject...

I would think that the technology would have improved over the years...Just my guess.... :nixweiss:

and would like to get some feedback on current new heated riding gear available in today marketplace.....

Again, Thanks for looking up those prior year threads.... :2vrolijk_21:
2008 Screaming Eagle Road King

ccr

• SEEG Cult Senior Member
  • 5k CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2007, 04:14:50 PM »

Electric is FANTASTIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But, don't let this be your only option.  I know a lot of good friends who did not pack extra underarmor/thermal/fleece because they counted on their electric.  A blown fuse - on a late Sunday return trip - nothing open to help you out and you gotta be at work on Monday morning ------ They got some awful mightly cold.  I think one should be prepared for both high and low tech.  High tech you don't have to look like the michelan man, you will be very cozy and comfortable and you get to keep so much flexability because you are not all layered up.  But just in case, I'd pack some low tech stuff and that in many instances is all one needs. 

Best of all worlds. 

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2007, 06:38:26 PM »

You might go to the Gerbing web site directly, to see what's changed in the past two or three years.

Candy also makes a very good point.  If you haven't tried the Schampa shirts and pants, you might want to check them out, as well.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2007, 11:40:17 AM »

Gerbing is probably some of the best out there, and has good customer support as well...if I were purchasing, I would go with them, unless they offered me a good deal on the HD stuff, which may be made by Gerbing anyhow.

Like Candy mentioned, there are a lot of good clothing items out on the market to keep one warm.  I can ride down to temps in the upper 20's to mid 30's without heated gear, and be comfortable on my SEUC, but do have heated seat and grips.  Cotton is useless as an effective insulator for your body, and will cause serious problems if it gets the least bit damp in cold weather.  Look for long underwear, underwear, and base layers made of Capilene (Patagonia), or polypropolene like UnderArmour and similar products.  You'd be amazed the difference this kind of product will make.  Also look for fleece midweight jackets/tops with Gore Windstopper in them...a midweight fleece jacket is not bulky under your leathers, and the Windstopper fleece adds another dimension to the layer, and is nice to wear after riding and just hanging out.

With all the newer materials out there now, there is no need to be "bound up" in layer upon layer of clothing, as the newer tech stuff is MUCH more efficient in insulating your body. Go to a good store devoted to backpacking/mountaineering and take a look around...even if you don't buy, you'll get some good ideas.  I've got stuff like this from 20 years ago, and it still functions like new...it costs more, but it lasts forever.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

SilverDawg

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2007, 11:26:54 PM »

Gerbing is probably some of the best out there, and has good customer support as well...if I were purchasing, I would go with them, unless they offered me a good deal on the HD stuff, which may be made by Gerbing anyhow.

Like Candy mentioned, there are a lot of good clothing items out on the market to keep one warm.  I can ride down to temps in the upper 20's to mid 30's without heated gear, and be comfortable on my SEUC, but do have heated seat and grips.  Cotton is useless as an effective insulator for your body, and will cause serious problems if it gets the least bit damp in cold weather.  Look for long underwear, underwear, and base layers made of Capilene (Patagonia), or polypropolene like UnderArmour and similar products.  You'd be amazed the difference this kind of product will make.  Also look for fleece midweight jackets/tops with Gore Windstopper in them...a midweight fleece jacket is not bulky under your leathers, and the Windstopper fleece adds another dimension to the layer, and is nice to wear after riding and just hanging out.

With all the newer materials out there now, there is no need to be "bound up" in layer upon layer of clothing, as the newer tech stuff is MUCH more efficient in insulating your body. Go to a good store devoted to backpacking/mountaineering and take a look around...even if you don't buy, you'll get some good ideas.  I've got stuff like this from 20 years ago, and it still functions like new...it costs more, but it lasts forever.

Any good online sources for this stuff?  UnderArmour, etc that y'all have used with success?
2008 FLHTCU Candy Red Sunglo -ABS/Security/SERT/V&H ovals
2008 FXCWC - Pacific Blue Pearl Deluxe-SOLD

The poster formally known as Cobaltman...

"As I grow older, I pay less attention to what men say.  I just watch what they do." - Andrew Carnegie

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2007, 10:39:55 AM »

Any good online sources for this stuff?  UnderArmour, etc that y'all have used with success?

You can often find some real bargains on this type of gear at Sierra Trading Post...for example  http://www.sierratradingpost.com/d/163_Mens-Long-Underwear-Bottoms.html

I have been doing business with this company for over 20 years and have never had an issue or been disappointed with their service.  Inventory is constantly changing, so keep looking for the product you want.  Most are closeouts, overruns, or "seconds"...I have never been able to tell that anything was a "second", as the flaw was imperceptable to my eye.  I buy all my socks from them as well, and would recommend a light to midweight over the calf ski sock by Bridgedale...they are excellent.

Other excellent sources are Cabella's, REI, and some of the manufacturer's websites, like Patagonia.  I've got a set of Patagonia Capilene long underwear I've been using for over 20 years, from backpacking, skiing, fishing to riding the bike.  It is showing no sign of wear.  So, the stuff may cost a bit more, but you generally get what you pay for.

It may not say Harley Davidson on it, but for this purpose, who cares... :nixweiss:
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Ozzie

• Senior CVO Member
  • Have Trailer - Will Travel To Rescue CVO
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2007, 10:21:25 AM »

Great information as I ride all year with the "Polar Bear" club in PA and NJ. Depending upon weather factors I use all types of clothing both Gerbing, armor, Cabella insulated jeans.
Be aware when using electric heating clothing as they have tendency to plow the 15A fuse, so bring extras on the bike.
Ride Smart and Be Seen. Then Ride Like the Wind where The Eagles Fly.
Ozzie
03 FLSTF
06 FLHTCU
07 FLTR

Page created in 0.199 seconds with 21 queries.