Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Author Topic: Rain Motorcycle Cover and traveling  (Read 11786 times)

smkblwr

• Senior CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 2018 RGU
    • CVO2: 2018 FreeWheeler
    • CVO3: 2007 VRSCX Vrod #328
Re: Rain Motorcycle Cover and traveling
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2014, 01:59:58 PM »

I just have the mustang rain cover for the seats. only thing is make sure it is fitted on the seat and leaves no areas for the water to pubble. it will soak though the cover alittle if it puddles in the cover over night. other than that a quick wipe down and go. Give it a quick bath when i arrive at my destination if possible.
2018 RGU.
2018 FreeWheeler "Wifes"
2007 V&H PRO Stock Tribute #328 VRod
IBA Member 45500

dirtyike

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Deluxe
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2014, 03:03:41 PM »

Good idea Spydgld, the thought didn't even cross my mind.

ultrarider123

« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2014, 03:27:54 PM »

Let'er get wet, ike. 
As others have stated, utilize the overhang at the hotel/motel (most establishments will let you if you keep it out of the pedistrian traffic areas). 
IMO, never thought a cover was a great idea anyway.  You've just riden 300 to 600 miles and have all sorts of "stuff" on the front of the scooter...hey, now lets put a cover on it! 
And yes, before the naysayers and pro cover folks chime in, I do attempt to clean on the bike a bit (more the windshield these days) before bedding her down for the night.  Dew, fog, damp night air (or rain...) will settle on it overnight to make it all dirty again so why clean it at night to have it to do again in the mornig.  So I have moved my, as 2K stated "whores bath" for the morning ritual so Ginger will be ready to get dirty all over again....plus the overnight dew/moisture helps with the cleaning process.
In my travelling style, putting a cover on a wet/dirty bike smearing the bugs/gunk all over the bike and inside of the cover and then having a dirty, wet cover to pack the next day.....and do it all over again at the end of the next day....dat jus don make no sense 2 me

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2014, 04:15:19 PM »

Part of the trip I like is the morning after bedding down for the night. While the wife is putting on her face, I use the previous evening's rain/dew to soak off bugs and grime and give the bike a quick detail. I also use this time to check the tires, etc.

2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High

red ben59

• 1K CVO Member
  • ALL GAVE SOME SOME GAVE ALL
    • NC

• CVO1: 08 FXDSE2
    • CVO2: 09 FLHTCUSE4
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCUSE8
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2014, 05:24:42 PM »

Yeap, I use the dew to my advantage also. She don't mind going to bed dirty and long as she's on the road clocking miles. And then get rubbed down as she wakes.  :apple:

willyB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2014, 05:33:24 PM »

I just bring along a black trash bag and tuck it over the seat to keep the seat from getting wet. other than that the bike is made to get wet.
GMR 577 Cams, S & S Lifters, S & S Pushrods, V&H Headers, Rinehart 4” Slipons, TTS Tuner, 12" Yaffee Monkey Bars, Color Matched Chopped Tour Pak (510 HP and 763 TQ +/-)

srnoyes

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NE

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2014, 06:39:35 PM »

I use a Cycle Shade bike cover and faring cover. You can check them out at www.cycleshade.com. I like them because they stretch from the grips to the trunk and the faring cover is large enough to cover all the gauges. You can buy them as a pair so you save a little. They don't give complete protection from the rain but they protect the bike from bird droppings, tree sap, and the sun. As an added benefit it keeps A-holes from deciding to sit on you bike when you park it at events. They are light weight and pack up into an attached bag for easy storage...about the size of a small first aid kit.
2014 CVO Limited - Present
2009 Road King Classic 2009-2014
1991 Yamaha Virago 1991-1993
1983 Yamaha Maxim 1983-1989

twoasone

« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2014, 09:11:06 PM »

Cover bike and trailer each night after a cleaning. I don't worry about how long it takes me, just crack open another cold one. Plus people don't know what is under the cover then. My wife says I'm "anal" about it. So! I like it clean, sorry! Not.

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2014, 09:27:24 PM »

For years used a $20 Walmart cover. More for anti theft than rain. Worked great.   Now have an Exigent cover. Same deal.   Packs small. On most trips I keep mostly the windshield & lights clean.   Sometimes will go after the bugs but usually wait until home for that.

Lots of motels will let you park under the awning.  Still use the cover there for anti theft.  If bike is real dirty have been known to remove the cover to let the rain soak it & then wipe it down.

"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

MontyB

• Amazing! You can actually SEE the laws of physics breaking!
  • Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4 Silver/Twilight
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2014, 09:31:20 PM »

Love my Exigent cover - light, tough, packs easily into its own bag, made in the USA and reasonably priced. 
 ;D
"Good news, Marge!  I've learned how to walk naked on stilts!"
Iron Butt Assn #33622
Tennessee Squire

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2014, 09:31:52 PM »

Cover bike and trailer each night after a cleaning. I don't worry about how long it takes me, just crack open another cold one. Plus people don't know what is under the cover then. My wife says I'm "anal" about it. So! I like it clean, sorry! Not.
Nothing wrong with this approach....makes the ride more enjoyable on a clean machine. :tekst-toppie: :beerchug: :bath:  har!  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2014, 10:20:58 PM »

I've got the Harley Oasis cover and its great. Folds into its pouch very small. Don't leave home without it.
2004 SE Deuce - Cobalt Blue
2006 SE Ultra Classic - Autumn Haze

Phantom309

• 2014 Ultra Limited
  • Elite CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG- light/dark Candy Cherry-sold
« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2014, 06:27:14 AM »

I like to keep mine clean too, but a little water isn't going to make it melt. I have a cover in a box that I never bothered to open and I've had it for years, just haven't bothered to cover any of my bikes. Why cover such a beautiful machine? As far as being a theft deterrent ... sorry, if they want it bad enough they will take it cover and all. Plus most thieves are smart enough to know you don't cover a POS that isn't worth anything.
2014 Ultra Limited*Daytona Blue Pearl
MODS
V&H 2-1 Pro Pipe
V&H FP3 Fuelpak

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2014, 07:35:50 AM »

Thieves are time conscious.  Plus they tend to scope out an area prior to see what is there to take, getaway routes, lighted vs dark, etc. 

Have traveled by bike a lot, have never had anything stolen.  Same trip, same place, friends have had things stolen.  Guess what was on my bike but not on their bike?
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

mark

« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2014, 08:59:34 AM »

Wow, thanks for all the feedback. I'm thinking of getting me one of those Exigent covers, at the moment I have an indoor/outdoor overpriced harley cover and the CVO cover. I tried folding up my indoor/outdoor cover and it takes up almost one whole saddlebag on my Deluxe.

Does the Exigent cover take up that much space or will i have atleast half the saddlebag space available after putting in the cover? Remember I have a CVO Deluxe.
After reading this thread, someone mentioned the Aerostitch cover.  It's waterproof and folds up to about the size of your fist.  I just checked with the company about getting one, but the touring size is back ordered.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Page created in 0.182 seconds with 21 queries.