Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: Lane Splitting  (Read 5140 times)

FR8TRN

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ya ever take a crap so big your pants fit better??
Re: Lane Splitting
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2007, 09:03:03 AM »

Part way down the page:

http://www.chp.ca.gov/html/answers.html

If memory serves correctly from a public safety forum it would be more accurate to say that it is not illegal to split lanes in California.  But that's nearly always the case with things that aren't illegal. 

Thank god we don't have to have laws that say what we're allowed to do.  That would put the obligation on the citizenry even more than it already it is.  The laws say what we can't do, not what we can.  And there's already enough of them saying what we can't.

Actually I think the way the law reads on it "Lane Splitting" isn't specified, but it does allow for "Lane Sharing" for a car (or other) and motorcycle.  Either way, I gotta agree, it's the best thing since sliced bread.  Was out there in 2003 and managed to do a fair bit of it myself.  A bit unnerving at first but once ya get used to it, it just seems natural.  I slip a little lane splitting in now and then here in MD.

Gone Fishin'

• The Director
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2016 FLHTKSE Limited®, Black Sparkle and 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Ultra Classic®, Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate, # 110 of 992
    • CVO2: 2007 FLHRSE3 Screamin' Eagle® Road King®, Black Ice, 1 of 1325
    • CVO3: 2001 FXDWG2, Scarlet Red and 2000 FXR4, Candy Tangerine, 1 of 316
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2007, 09:11:08 AM »

It took me yesterday almost three hours to go from the Los Angeles International airport to my destination in the "LA vicinity" just 65 miles away. On the Interstate I have seen many bikes passing between cars, including numerous policy officers on their bikes. Anyone on a bike staying in the same lane would go insane in this traffic.i
In addition the practice may not be legal, but is very common everywhere in Europe.

1914 10E, Grey
1956 FLH Custom, Candy Orange
1988 FXRS Custom, "S.O.A."
2000 FLSTF Custom Fat Boy, "Jumpin' Jack Flash"
2000 FXSTS Custom Springer Softail, Grey
2000 FXR4, Candy Tangerine
2001 FXDWG2, Scarlet Red
2005 FLHTCSE2, -9/07
2007 FLHRSE3, Black Ice
2008 FLHTCUSE3, -7/08
2009 FLHTCUSE4, -4/10
2010 FLHTCUSE5-BLK, Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate
2012 VRSCDX ANV, Brilliant Silver Pearl
2016 FLHTKSE, Black Sparkle
2016 XL1200CX Roadster, Vivid Black
2018 FLFBS ANV
CVO 1480 IBA 26678

mr_magoo

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG Orange & Black All Attitude
    • CVO2: 08 CUSE Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver the Cruiser
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2007, 09:37:31 AM »

Thanks for clearing that up.
2008FLHTCUSE3 Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver
Freedom Gear drive cams, Elite D Exhaust.

2004 SEEG Pumpkin
freedom exhaust
power commander
W/ American legend trailer<br

Wrongway

• Stop Following Me!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • What A Beautiful Mess I'm In......
    • CA

• CVO1: 2014 FLHTKSE Burgundy Blaze/Typhoon Maroon aka Mongo
    • CVO2: Gone:2005 FLHTCSE2 Cherry, Teal, 2006 FLHTCUSE Crimson
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2007, 10:56:42 AM »

Law enforcement believes that splitting lanes is one of their best tools for finding law breakers. That is why the CHP, LAPD, LASD, and other agencies endorse it. I ride with members of all these agencies in a Law Enforcement Motorcycle Club.

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2007, 12:21:18 PM »

Kind of hard for me to spit with a full face helmet.   ::)

REGGAB

« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2007, 12:44:08 PM »

Perhaps the cage drivers in California are accustomed to bikes lane splitting and so look for it.  It would make me as nervous as a whore in church... :nervous:

If you try it in Alabama (it is illegal here), somebody in a 68 Buick landbarge will open their car door on you, or spit tobacco juice on you, or thump a cigarette butt in your lap as you go by.... ;D ;)

Or stick a baseball bat out the window, or shoot you, or turn in front of you, or chase you down...........all cause you got to Hardees to get your biscuits and gravy before they did.

REGGAB

« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2007, 12:48:41 PM »

Terry the cage drivers in California are very accepting of it. Many will shift over in their lane a bit to let you through. If someone takes exception - - - bet the farm they've got a southern states plate on the vehicle. Don't know why as my experiences with all you Rebs is nothin but positive, but then again y'all are biker Rebs and that's a HUGE difference isn't it.

By the way, as Big Daddy and other's who've never ridden California style will tell you after their first experience - - the only thing better than splittin lanes a 100mph is sex with a good woman.  ;)
B B

No way.  No how.  Not happenin'.  Forget being more nervous than a whore in church.  That's just plain nuts.  I could see it now...........rollin' down I65 at 100mph...........splittin' lanes.........and Joe Bob opens his door to spit.......SPLAT.   :knife:

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2007, 01:16:00 PM »

No way.  No how.  Not happenin'.  Forget being more nervous than a whore in church.  That's just plain nuts.  I could see it now...........rollin' down I65 at 100mph...........splittin' lanes.........and Joe Bob opens his door to spit.......SPLAT.   :knife:
Hell, the NASCAR boys (fans, drivers, teams, etc...)would be the very ones to pinch you or even worse.......ie: Richard, the KING, Petty bump-drafting on I-40, or where ever it was......not a good idea down this way.  :nervous: har!  :drink: spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

REGGAB

« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2007, 01:25:31 PM »

Hell, the NASCAR boys (fans, drivers, teams, etc...)would be the very ones to pinch you or even worse.......ie: Richard, the KING, Petty bump-drafting on I-40, or where ever it was......not a good idea down this way.  :nervous: har!  :drink: spyder

Yessir, and it ain't no better down here in BAMA either.  Lots a folks don't realize we're home to a metric boatload of short tracks.....in addition to Talladega Superspeedway.  Them good 'ol boys get the racin' in their blood after watchin' and event, and the next thing you know, they're giving each other donuts on the way home.  I'd hate for one of them to do that to me if I was on one of the bikes.  YIKES

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2007, 02:25:51 PM »

Here's a little statement that us left-coasters have known for years.  Quoted from Motorcyclecruiser.com, The Deadly Dozen: 12 Motorcycle Safety Myths and Misconceptions, 

"Myth 10: It's Better to Stay in Your Lane than Split Lanes

In most parts of the world, motorcycles split lanes all the time, everywhere traffic is heavy. Here in the U.S., people often act as if lane-splitting is insane. But when someone actually studied it in the only place in the U.S. where it's legal (California), they discovered it's actually slightly safer than staying in the lane in heavy, slow-moving traffic. Still many motorcyclists berate others who do it, when they should in fact be endorsing it."

Amen to that.

I personally don't think it's to safe, cars can change lanes without signaling, bikes can hook a cars mirror. I have a girl on a crotch rocket split lanes while I was in CA, and she just nicked my mirror, luckily she didn't catch it hard enough to put her doe, she just kept going. There was a black rubber stripe on the edge of the mirror. I think it's asking for trouble.

charlie

« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2007, 06:17:00 PM »

I wish they had it here in GA. 285 75 85 20 all come to a stop at rush hour.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2007, 07:28:13 PM »

Perhaps the cage drivers in California are accustomed to bikes lane splitting and so look for it.  It would make me as nervous as a whore in church... :nervous:

If you try it in Alabama (it is illegal here), somebody in a 68 Buick landbarge will open their car door on you, or spit tobacco juice on you, or thump a cigarette butt in your lap as you go by.... ;D ;)

I swear Terry had us lane splitting in Atlanta............he had us doing 100+.....any way we could get through that traffic. :huepfenlol2:  Come on Terry, fess up........we were lane splitting.  Or maybe it was just me, Andy and Jon trying to keep up with you, so we had to lane split. :nixweiss:  We did it in most of the large cities all the way across country......it's just second nature for us.  It never occurs to me that it might be illegal in other states.  Kind of like a right turn on a red, after you stop.......I guess that's illegal still in some states, but I do it every where.  Old habits are hard to break.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2007, 07:36:01 PM by JCZ »
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

JR

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Be Still and Know that I AM God
    • TN

• CVO1: 2012 ULTRA FLHTCUSE7
    • CVO2: 2005 SEEG FLHTCSE2
    • CVO3: 2000 SERG FLTRSEI
    • photobucket.com
« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2007, 09:27:22 PM »

JC, when you and Andy were here and talking about splitting lanes I thought there is no way I would ever try that in Memphis! As Terry has mentioned some of the hazards in AL, Memphis would have to be far worse. Only way I would attempt it here would be in an armoured truck! :huepfenlol2:

rmarion

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2007, 01:22:25 AM »

it's still SPOOKY, splitting lanes on a Bagger, also, most freeway's here in So-Cally have been narrowed down additonal 1'. :sweatdrop:. Sort of makes the old number 2 hole pucker up.........
2006 FLHTCUSE - Candy/Black
SERT
SEAC
Branch Head Work
BP 595 cam gear drive
2:1 RB Racing Black Hole
Hawgwired Speakers & Amps
Rock & Roll Paint
Danny Grey Seat

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #29 on: November 11, 2007, 10:07:14 AM »

it's still SPOOKY, splitting lanes on a Bagger, also, most freeway's here in So-Cally have been narrowed down additonal 1'. :sweatdrop:. Sort of makes the old number 2 hole pucker up.........

The thrill of adventure, huh Marion. :nixweiss:     :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2:

Maybe it was the lane splitting that made Hoist say "man, I'll ride with you anytime, any place".
« Last Edit: November 11, 2007, 10:08:56 AM by JCZ »
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.198 seconds with 21 queries.