Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Problem...need guidance  (Read 2648 times)

BeeCVOBreakOut

• Junior CVO Member
  • Breakout and say no to baggers.
Problem...need guidance
« on: July 16, 2013, 03:59:01 PM »

My Breakout went into limp mode with trouble code P1511. Throttle Control Actuator (TCA) failure. I don't have any throttle past idle which is a built in safety feature when the TCA fails. The manual says that you can get the TCA so you have to replace the entire Induction Module. I tried to clear the code but it won't go away. I can clear it on the PV2 but the ECM still has it.

Has anyone else run into this problem yet? I know a couple of times, the bike would go into limp mode then immediately jump out of it but it looks like it isn't going to bounce back until either the code is cleared or the module is replaced. Let me know if anyone has any guidance other than take it to the dealer.
A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.
 Lao Tzu

If I needed a fairing, windshield, stereo and storage space, I would drive my car. Break out and just say no to bags.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
Re: Problem...need guidance
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2013, 04:13:44 PM »

You may try these threads for information...

ECM P1511 code. Not on list??

P1511 Trouble Code

Mayday: Dealer Baffeled by Fault Codes: P1150 & P2135

Cruise control sometimes no function

Found mention of that code in each of those threads when doing a search.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2013, 04:20:40 PM »

My Breakout went into limp mode with trouble code P1511. Throttle Control Actuator (TCA) failure. I don't have any throttle past idle which is a built in safety feature when the TCA fails. The manual says that you can get the TCA so you have to replace the entire Induction Module. I tried to clear the code but it won't go away. I can clear it on the PV2 but the ECM still has it.

Has anyone else run into this problem yet? I know a couple of times, the bike would go into limp mode then immediately jump out of it but it looks like it isn't going to bounce back until either the code is cleared or the module is replaced. Let me know if anyone has any guidance other than take it to the dealer.

Locate the electrical connector for the TCA, remove it, and inspect the pins for any signs of damage or moisture or corrosion.  If there is any moisture present, thoroughly dry everything (electronic contact cleaner plus compressed air will work), apply some dielectric grease to the terminals, and reinstall the connector to the TCA.  Also check the wiring leading to that connector for any signs of damage.   If you have one of the fairly common connector problems, this may get you back in operation at least temporarily.  

Some stuff we often try to fix ourselves rather than have to deal with the dealership.  However, problems with electronic throttle controls, ABS brakes, and other safety related systems should always be reported to and documented with a dealership.  Getting it running if you're stranded is one thing, but don't assume you have permanently fixed it by wiggling a wire or removing and reinstalling a connector.  

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Carbon 60

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2013, 08:29:51 AM »

Locate the electrical connector for the TCA, remove it, and inspect the pins for any signs of damage or moisture or corrosion.  If there is any moisture present, thoroughly dry everything (electronic contact cleaner plus compressed air will work), apply some dielectric grease to the terminals, and reinstall the connector to the TCA.  Also check the wiring leading to that connector for any signs of damage.   If you have one of the fairly common connector problems, this may get you back in operation at least temporarily.  

Some stuff we often try to fix ourselves rather than have to deal with the dealership.  However, problems with electronic throttle controls, ABS brakes, and other safety related systems should always be reported to and documented with a dealership.  Getting it running if you're stranded is one thing, but don't assume you have permanently fixed it by wiggling a wire or removing and reinstalling a connector.  

Jerry

Excellent Advice +1
Garr

BeeCVOBreakOut

• Junior CVO Member
  • Breakout and say no to baggers.
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2013, 03:34:34 PM »

I checked the TCA connector like the other folks who had similar problems and it wasn't fully seated. It's good to go now. I still don't like the idea of having to replace the entire assembly just to fix the TCA. Once the warranty expires, that could be an expensive fix.
A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.
 Lao Tzu

If I needed a fairing, windshield, stereo and storage space, I would drive my car. Break out and just say no to bags.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2013, 04:46:03 PM »

I checked the TCA connector like the other folks who had similar problems and it wasn't fully seated. It's good to go now. I still don't like the idea of having to replace the entire assembly just to fix the TCA. Once the warranty expires, that could be an expensive fix.

Induction modules run about $200 MSRP, so it's not as bad as it could be.  It's very common in all sorts of products these days that you can't buy just the one part you need, but instead have to buy an assembly.  The price for the induction module surprised me actually, and I imagine it will go up once Harley realizes they missed an opportunity to rip folks a new one. ;D

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

henry1877

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2013, 09:16:19 AM »

Last night I installed Vance and Hines short shot on my breakout standard. Everything went well except the rear pipe O2 sensor is really close to the top oil line. Has anyone else had this problem. If so what did you do to fix it?

Page created in 0.229 seconds with 22 queries.