Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Author Topic: Paint chip on my front fender  (Read 15900 times)

ultrarider123

Re: Paint chip on my front fender
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2013, 07:27:57 AM »

Crap Judy, that's really bad and on the edge to boot.   :(
Read all the responses to your posts and you got some good advice to work with.  Do check into repainting the fender OR the spot to match before putting on any fender chrome.  Nice thing about the fender on our CVO's is they are clean.  I'm betting you can find a good painter (I'd be PM'ing Puzzled if it were mine) to get that repaired for much less than a new fender and, hopefully, much less than your insurance deductable.  May even luck up and somebody on the forum may have the Ruby Red fender for sale if they change to a larger wheel/different fender...may be a good option.

Didn't have any chips on the fender/bat on my last two HD's.  Bought Ginger and one week later, rock from an oncoming truck flipped up (heard it hit) and put a pin head sized one on the batwing.  It 'bout made me cry.  It was in the Typhoon part of the color so not as noticable. Put a small dab of clear and let it be.  Not the same as what you have on your fender but hurt just the same.  Good luck on whatever road you choose to repair.

Howard

Xtreme Dimension

• Xtreme Dimension
  • Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
  • Custom Motorcycles
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2013, 07:33:52 AM »

Those that followed my Sante Fe Thread know that I got a paint chip on my front fender when Renay ran over a piece of metal and kicked it back at my fender.  It is right on the edge.  I'm not sure what a new fender would cost but like all Harley products, it is probably pricey.   :'(.  My insurance deductible is $500, so if fender is less than a $1,000 I don't want to claim it on insurance.  Do you think it would look ok if I just put a fender chrome tip on it to cover the chip?

Sorry I missed your post...we can repair and refinish good as new for $300 if you wish..good luck either way you decide and enjoy your weekend.

Rio

• 2011 CVO Road Glide Ultra Rio Ember/Black
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Nick
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2013, 08:45:34 AM »

Get a piece of chrome trim and cover it up?  You can also take it to a good paint shop and they can laser match the paint and fix er up for you for probably $150
Full Sac X-Pipe,
Full Sac 2.25 cores
TTS Mastertune
Progressive Monotubes
Progressive 94 Shocks
Andrews 30t sprocket
Wind Splitter Windscreen

BUCKNUT GREG

• BUCKNUT
  • 1K CVO Member
    • OH

« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2013, 02:04:36 PM »

Sorry I missed your post...we can repair and refinish good as new for $300 if you wish..good luck either way you decide and enjoy your weekend.

There you Go Judith, can't beat that.

SneakyPete

• 1K CVO Member
  • AKA FGL
    • VA

• CVO1: 2004 SEEG O/B- RIP
    • CVO2: 2009 SERG3 O/B
    • CVO3: 2014 SERK6 O/B
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2013, 06:21:16 PM »

Judy,

Agree with others, touch up the paint to protect the metal then apply the fender trim.  I use the Kuryakyn trim on my bike.  As a matter of fact I'm on my second piece as you'll find they will get sandblasted over time and need to be replaced, better a relatively inexpensive chrome piece than a new paint job for sure :2vrolijk_21:
Member Hillbilly Rocket Riders MC, Virginia THE FASTEST CHAPTER!

OlDog

• Full CVO Member
  • The Mistress 4
    • AB

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 Black Diamond crimson tags. Stage one with V&H slip on ovals. Rider backrest.
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2013, 09:38:53 AM »

I would also get it touched up. I just recently installed the HOG Skins paint protector.. good product but very finicky to put on...if you do ...TAKE YOUR TIME...there are reasons there are  professionals out there just sayin...looks good but a few air bubbles.

Sprintkid

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 CVO Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2013, 01:50:22 PM »

I picked up a piece of gravel or rock and dented my front fender in two spots , chipping the paint. I spent the money and got a new fender from the dealer but made a stop at the Line X shop and had the underside coated before I installed it.

LovemyCVOgirl

• Four wheels move the body.... Two wheels move the soul.
  • SMF Moderator
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Give me a switchback any day!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
    • CVO2: 2015 Toyota Tundra 4X4 SR5 TRD 5.7L V8
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2013, 01:56:31 PM »

Thank you everyone for your suggestion's.  Yep, I could have put the trim piece on the fender..., Or touched it up with touch up paint but it is my first paint chip and I would have always known that it was there, hidden.   :'(. I mailed it off today to Joe at X-Treme Dimensions.   ::).  You know how it is with your first ding/dent or paint chip!  The second one probably won't hurt my feeling's as much.   ;)
Some days you're a bug, some days you're a windshield.

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2013, 01:57:56 PM »

Nice!  I am anxious to see/hear how it turned out!

Xtreme Dimension

• Xtreme Dimension
  • Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
  • Custom Motorcycles
« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2013, 02:43:36 PM »

Thank you everyone for your suggestion's.  Yep, I could have put the trim piece on the fender..., Or touched it up with touch up paint but it is my first paint chip and I would have always known that it was there, hidden.   :'(. I mailed it off today to Joe at X-Treme Dimensions.   ::).  You know how it is with your first ding/dent or paint chip!  The second one probably won't hurt my feeling's as much.   ;)

Sounds great Judy...I will make sure it is NEW again for you-
Joe Z

ultrarider123

« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2013, 02:47:22 PM »

Before and after pics...... :2vrolijk_21:

Glad you made the decision to go with Joe and Xtreme and looking forward (as I know you are) to the results.... ;D

Xtreme Dimension

• Xtreme Dimension
  • Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
  • Custom Motorcycles
« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2013, 02:49:23 PM »

Before and after pics...... :2vrolijk_21:

Glad you made the decision to go with Joe and Xtreme and looking forward (as I know you are) to the results.... ;D
Thank you and I will

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2013, 06:53:29 PM »

You made the right decision.  There's a reason the Street Glides have that custom look compared to all the other glides and I think you want to maintain that integrity.

Sure, you could have put one of the fender trim pieces on or any other number of baubles or even a decal (as I've seen done before) but then where does that stop?  I mean eventually they start looking like you rode through Pep Boys with a junk magnet.....you made the right decision!  :2vrolijk_21:
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

FLHXSE2

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 BLK/OR
« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2013, 07:16:50 PM »

"I mean eventually they start looking like you rode through Pep Boys with a junk magnet."

Dam, I like that saying :bananarock: :bananarock:

LovemyCVOgirl

• Four wheels move the body.... Two wheels move the soul.
  • SMF Moderator
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Give me a switchback any day!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
    • CVO2: 2015 Toyota Tundra 4X4 SR5 TRD 5.7L V8
« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2013, 07:35:09 PM »

You made the right decision.  There's a reason the Street Glides have that custom look compared to all the other glides and I think you want to maintain that integrity.

Sure, you could have put one of the fender trim pieces on or any other number of baubles or even a decal (as I've seen done before) but then where does that stop?  I mean eventually they start looking like you rode through Pep Boys with a junk magnet.....you made the right decision!  :2vrolijk_21:

I had to ask myself, "WWJCD."   What would JC do?   :P.  Thanks for your input buddy!  I already feel better about my decision.  It was just one of those paint chips that I couldn't live with.., now, I've gotta quit following Renay!   ;)
Some days you're a bug, some days you're a windshield.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Page created in 0.168 seconds with 21 queries.