Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Author Topic: Paint chip on my front fender  (Read 15944 times)

LovemyCVOgirl

• Four wheels move the body.... Two wheels move the soul.
  • SMF Moderator
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Give me a switchback any day!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
    • CVO2: 2015 Toyota Tundra 4X4 SR5 TRD 5.7L V8
Paint chip on my front fender
« on: July 04, 2013, 07:57:51 PM »

Those that followed my Sante Fe Thread know that I got a paint chip on my front fender when Renay ran over a piece of metal and kicked it back at my fender.  It is right on the edge.  I'm not sure what a new fender would cost but like all Harley products, it is probably pricey.   :'(.  My insurance deductible is $500, so if fender is less than a $1,000 I don't want to claim it on insurance.  Do you think it would look ok if I just put a fender chrome tip on it to cover the chip?

Some days you're a bug, some days you're a windshield.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: Paint chip on my front fender
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2013, 08:22:03 PM »

Your fender is part # 58900004DKW.  List price at $995.  Ronnie's HD and Lake Shore both for $826.  So, yeah, with the deductible figured in it's easy to justify just keeping the insurance out of it. 

If you look at fender tops don't forget the aftermarket.  Mother Harley has offered several so you'll have choices.  Kuryakyn has a nice clean little option now too though.

Buy early

• 5k CVO Member
  • My future if I were Benjamin Button

• CVO1: 2001 FXDWG2 Switchblade - The Beast
    • CVO2: 2004 FXSTDSE2 Deuce - Beauty
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2013, 08:31:16 PM »

Would use several coats of touchup paint to cover and rebuild the chipped spot then put on some Motorcycle Armor. Enough to cover 2"-3" of the leading edge of the fender.

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=27725.180

Then the chrome fender tip doodad. Have ones on each of our bikes. It's one of the most frequently chipped spots on a bike. If you shell the $'s for a new fender, chances are it will get chipped as well.

JMHO
« Last Edit: July 04, 2013, 08:35:14 PM by Buy early »

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2013, 08:44:58 PM »

Bummer, Judy!  :(  I like the Kury piece and it would go well with the other trim pieces you put on your TP.  I think I'd still touch it up first, though, if I were you!

LovemyCVOgirl

• Four wheels move the body.... Two wheels move the soul.
  • SMF Moderator
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Give me a switchback any day!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
    • CVO2: 2015 Toyota Tundra 4X4 SR5 TRD 5.7L V8
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2013, 09:19:41 PM »

I was thinking the same thing.   :nixweiss:  Get a new fender and it get's chipped.  :'(. I'm taking everyone's advise and getting the chrome fender tip.  Now, about that touch-up paint.... Can I get some for my fender?
Some days you're a bug, some days you're a windshield.

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 Whiskey Neat road glide custom
    • CVO2: 2019 Mako Shark Fade road glide custom
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2013, 09:42:35 PM »

I think I would try the chrome trim piece rather than touch that up,  you won't be happy with it. Good luck with it.  :-\
« Last Edit: July 05, 2013, 12:07:37 AM by cvostu »

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2013, 09:50:26 PM »

I was thinking the same thing.   :nixweiss:  Get a new fender and it get's chipped.  :'(. I'm taking everyone's advise and getting the chrome fender tip.  Now, about that touch-up paint.... Can I get some for my fender?

The dealer can order a kit for you that includes small tubes of both colors.  Some kits also include the clear coat if they use a tinted clearcoat, otherwise the clear would be a separate item.  I don't think yours is tinted, but can't say for sure.

Even if you use the tip (that would be my suggestion as well), you need to repair the actual chip first.  It may not look great, but that's not the issue.  You don't want that area to continue to peel, and you want to protect the fender from corrosion.  So definitely do a touch up repair, even if it doesn't look good enough to stand on it's own and will be covered with a chrome tip.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Sea Biscuit

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2013, 10:17:22 PM »

OK...I'll play "Devil's Advocate"...ride your Harley until the end of the riding season and then order a new fender (just a thought but could be a XMAS present ;))...to each his own but I'm not a fan of some kind of small chrome trim on the fender of the CVO Street Glide, but your Harley, your call. That chip would drive me crazy (no, I'm not OCD...I don't think anyway)! ;D

My old Street Glide was a "chip magnet"...when I purchased my Road Glide, I put 3M on the front fender, cow bells, entire fairing, front of the bags and top of the bag lids and it works great...almost 2 years of riding and not one chip...people can't tell it's there until I point it out...entire cost of the 3M was cheaper than the fender! :)

SG Racer

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG2, Black Diamond/ Inferno Orange
    • CVO2: 2005 SEEG, Cherry
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2013, 10:38:01 PM »

Judy,
 I have used the touch up paint kit and it is not a bad thing to do. It is pretty easy. If you build it up slowly, it may look ok for you. If not then put the chrome over it. Everyone that rides gets chips. It gets you upset to see it, but it says you are riding.
 Good luck.
D&D Fat Cat W/Ghost pipe
Custom leather seat
12" Yaffe Monkey Bagger Bars
SEPST
93Hp, 116Tq

CowboyBagger

• 1K CVO Member
  • Standing on the Corner!
    • AZ

• CVO1: FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
    • CVO2: FLTRKSEANV Heritage paint
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2013, 10:44:15 PM »

I agree, I'm not crazy about the chrome trim on the front fender of a Streetglide.  How about sending it this winter to the guy that did "Puzzled's" paint work.  He would probably fix you up good as new for less than your deductible. Might be worth checking into.  

OR

Switch to a 21" front wheel and get one those new cool front fenders and have him paint it to match.  The guy did a great job for Puzzled and JR1000yarder, he also had an ad on here a week or two ago.

Cowboy
From an ocean tide, to an 8 second ride! Life is a ride, so make it a good one.

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2013, 10:53:11 PM »

I agree with the clean look of the fender of the street glide..I wouldn't do the chrome trim. Touch it up and see how it looks then decide. Chips happen to the fairing and front fender...it shows you have been riding. If it really bothers you,  it could probably get it re-done for less than a new one.

cherryseeg2

• Vendor
  • Full CVO Member
  • J&B Performance Cycles
    • TN

• CVO1: 2003 Deuce traded for CVO 2
    • CVO2: 2005 SEEG2 Cherry
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2013, 10:57:57 PM »

I agree also. No way would I put a trim piece on a street glide. Makes them look like an Ultra. I would either repair or switch to one of the wrap fenders from klock works.
2005 SEEG2 J&B Performance 120 -163/144

Sea Biscuit

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2013, 11:17:14 PM »

Switch to a 21" front wheel and get one those new cool front fenders and have him paint it to match. 

Cowboy

Now we're talking!!! :bananarock:

Ghost Rider

• 1K CVO Member
  • EBCM # WHORE

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 Kermit
    • CVO2: 2015 Victory Ness Magnum #31 of 299
    • CVO3: 2013 Can-Am Spyder RTS
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2013, 11:40:14 PM »

Hey Judy,

Chips Suck!   >:(

I'm not a big fan of the chrome fender tip look either.  I would check around and see what a good painter would charge to fix that one for you.  And in the meantime, go ahead and order a touch up kit from your dealer (or one of the 20% discount dealers) as Jerry said, you need to get that touched up and protected before it does more damage.  Plus then you'll have the kit for the next chip.  And there will be more chips.

I'd also recommend the Motorcycle Armor.  I have it all over Kermit.   :cucumber:

Final recommendation.  Make Renay follow you from now on.   :huepfenlol2:

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2013, 12:54:43 AM »

A couple of "ifs" to think about:

If the fender tip completely covers the divot.

and

If you're considering the simplest possible repair.

If answers to both are yes save the expense of the overpriced touch up kit from Harley.  Any decent auto parts store will have clear touch up or use a good clear nail polish.  Definitely do something to seal the divot though.  Don't want moisture migrating under the paint.  Once it's sealed with clear of some kind then put on the fender tip.  The divot will be hidden anyway.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Page created in 0.16 seconds with 21 queries.