Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: SS Header Pipe NFG!!  (Read 7482 times)

DALE#3

• SOFTAIL UPDATE
  • Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MA

SS Header Pipe NFG!!
« on: August 23, 2015, 12:25:13 PM »

Purchased bike used with 11k miles.It's a SG CVO.OP had a HD dealer install pipes and a tuner tune with a stage 2.
Left leg was getting additionally HOT.Waited for next ride on start-up.It didn't sound good.Investigated a broken pipe.Nice.....Not happy.
Called dealer who did install.I have the UPDATED version witch mean's EAT-IT!!
Guess SS shortchanged on engineering issues with the SHAKING 110 rubber mounted engines.I was told the first series damaged the oil pans at the mounting points.
I already ordered a new VH header.I will call SS tomorrow.
I haven't read any negative on this form or HD forum.Possible a separate case...I doubt it.The diameter of these look pretty thin.   

« Last Edit: August 23, 2015, 12:32:43 PM by DALE#3 »

Ridgerunr

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TN

Re: SS Header Pipe NFG!!
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2015, 07:49:36 AM »

Installation could have had the pipe in a bind.
2004 Roadglide 113" (sold)
2014 CVO RoadKing
2015 RGS

screaminCVO

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2014 Ultra Limited CVO Maroon / Burgundy
    • CVO2: 2013 Road Glide orange / grey
    • CVO3: 2003 Ultra with sidecar silver/black
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2015, 01:17:30 PM »

Have one on my RG, has been good - no issues.

DALE#3

• SOFTAIL UPDATE
  • Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MA

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2015, 09:47:38 PM »

Contacted SS.Gave them the link on the HD FORUM.Same as this post.First they asked if i wanted a replacement header.SURE,That would ease the pain  :2vrolijk_21:
.Then they asked for paperwork.I told them i'm not the Original owner.
Bang... FU you get nothing.Nice huh...My MISSION is just getting started here. :pepper:
That's just absolute BS....Don't be a fool and purchase.Just look at the thickness.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2015, 09:52:17 PM by DALE#3 »

98fxstc

• Full CVO Member
  • 09 FXDFSE
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2015, 02:16:38 AM »

Contacted SS.Gave them the link on the HD FORUM.Same as this post.First they asked if i wanted a replacement header.SURE,That would ease the pain  :2vrolijk_21:
.Then they asked for paperwork.I told them i'm not the Original owner.
Bang... FU you get nothing.Nice huh...My MISSION is just getting started here. :pepper:
That's just absolute BS....Don't be a fool and purchase.Just look at the thickness.

Good Luck with S&S
I got the same response (with a faulty pushrod ) because Australia is a bit out of reach

Some here treat them like a protected species

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2015, 06:39:56 PM »

I had a hard time understanding your post. Not sure what a OD is but my question is, Did they really say FU?? If so that is not acceptable. Or did they explain the warranty is only for original buyer?
This is serious if they used that type language, also not acceptable to me if you embellished for effect.

Ridgerunr

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TN

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2015, 08:12:28 AM »

Think he meant wall thickness of the pipe. I know Supertrapp has a sequence that must be followed for tightening the system, otherwise cracking from stress or a bind will occur. And I agree most warranty coverage on aftermarket parts is for original owner. In my dealings with S&S over the past 35 years they've always been stand up folks when they were at fault.
2004 Roadglide 113" (sold)
2014 CVO RoadKing
2015 RGS

DALE#3

• SOFTAIL UPDATE
  • Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MA

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2015, 06:30:55 AM »

Good Luck with S&S
I got the same response (with a faulty pushrod ) because Australia is a bit out of reach

Some here treat them like a protected species

Yup i get that here and HD FORUM.We are the only ones with issue's.I will be relentless with this issue.It's not a lie.
People that can't figure what OPnot OD means,from text and other forum's ORIGINAL PURCHASER
Funny how VANCE AND HINES has a bracket in the same area as the break on these pieces of chit pipes.Ohh sorry bout language go back to your cave....
I installed VH to replace.I will update with photo's when i have extra time.
Yes the tightening sequence is essential with pipes.Especially rubber mounted and HEAVY mufflers.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 01:49:11 PM by DALE#3 »

dayne66

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • BC

• CVO1: '12 Ruby/Typhoon SG
    • CVO2: '15 Superior Blue FLD Switchback
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2015, 11:15:18 AM »

Same thing happened to me ....only with a better outcome.

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=87081.msg1157474#msg1157474
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." Socrates

DALE#3

• SOFTAIL UPDATE
  • Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MA

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2015, 01:58:48 PM »

Same thing happened to me ....only with a better outcome.

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=87081.msg1157474#msg1157474

Holy crap another victim of SS high quality.Gee same spot....amazing.
Must be them hard right turns? Sir do you take more right turns than left.....Sorry not covered under our flawless road testing and engineering.
But i get better DYNO numbers with SS 
All their comments on their website must get approved (By SandS )Before being posted....LMFAO!!
« Last Edit: August 29, 2015, 08:27:12 AM by DALE#3 »

hawgzilla

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2015, 03:22:20 PM »

I think we all get the point. 

DALE#3

• SOFTAIL UPDATE
  • Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MA

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2015, 08:29:33 AM »

I think we all get the point.

Good, That's what a forum is all about...The good,The bad and the ugly  :drummer:
« Last Edit: August 29, 2015, 08:33:08 AM by DALE#3 »

FLTRI

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2015, 12:57:56 PM »

Good, That's what a forum is all about...The good,The bad and the ugly  :drummer:
It's rare when members post their positive service experiences and quality parts.
We hear from all the failure victims.
S&S has never been proved to put out junk. Just the opposite, all components I've used have always worked as expected without mfg failure.
The fact mfgs warrant parts to the original purchaser (gave the mfg money) should have stopped anyone from claiming poor quality because the mfg follows their warrant.
The good mfgs will warrant product if there is a known defect still under warranty or not.
We have no data to support the claim their exhaust systems were defective.
Since installation is not done by the mfg, they have no idea why a 1 in 1000 fail if it not due to poor installation technique...ie: tightened under stress.
Just my $.02,
Bob

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2015, 01:19:18 PM »

Rather than just spew vitriol, how about giving us the FULL story.  Such as, did you buy the bike from a dealership or a private party?  How much time passed between the purchase and finding the pipe failure?  How old is the actual pipe?  Did you contact the party that sold you the bike about the problem?  Etc.

There may have been a known problem with the pipes, since you made mention of someone telling you yours was the updated version.  Look into that and see if in fact you do have the latest version.  If there was a known defect that led to a redesign, and you have the original version, perhaps that will change the response from S&S.

I don't know about you, but if I buy something used and "as is", as opposed to having a warranty, I don't expect a manufacturer to then take care of any subsequent failures.  I would still be ticked off if it was clear there was a known defect, but at this point you haven't really made a case that that is the situation.

JMHO - Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2015, 10:10:28 PM »

I wasn't aware you had to know "text language" to understand a post. If you used similar attitude to discuss with manufacturer rep as your tirade on here, then I have a grasp of why they didn't want to offer help.
You have not presented a case to me that S&S (if that is who you are talking about with your SS comments) have done anything wrong.
Handle this as you feel correct, I just hate to see anyone run down a product that for all I know was installed incorrectly, abused in some fashion after installation or has enough mileage/age as to make failure normal wear & tear. 

DALE#3

• SOFTAIL UPDATE
  • Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MA

« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2015, 06:29:33 AM »

Sounds like a bunch of ya have installed this well TESTED PRODUCT? Or maybe you have stock in the company?Or justifying your purchase.
Reading a thread from the BEGINNING not the middle or the end may answer a couple questions before adding a pointless reply.
And i don't give a chit about my proper GRAMMAR.
Why did VANCE AND HINES install a bracket at this same BREAK LOCATION? Sucks transferring photo's here.Photo of bracket is here:
http://www.hdforums.com/forum/screamin-eagle-cvo-models/1067174-ss-header-pipes-nfg.html 
VH PIPES ARE A BETTER MADE AND SOUNDING PRODUCT...PERIOD
I don't own stock but have purchased VH since 1985 no issues....yet

dooinit2u

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2015 SESG UltraViolet Blue / Hot Lava ***SOLD***
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2015, 07:01:07 AM »

Looks like, from your first post, as you said, that YOU bought a USED bike with 11k miles AND you think warranties should be transferred... Well, I see the problem... YOU.

Before making accusations about the way products should be warrantied or the longevity of a product, understand that many warranties are not transferrable. Seems you are upset at something other than this POS pipe, as you call it.

I have been on this site for quite a while, and when a NEWBIE comes on, ranting a case for bad products, he's usally the one without a valid case. Everything you've posted and the way you come across, puts all kinds of holes in your validity...

Any more, I hope a moderator steps up and cures this situation.

Good day, Paul

hawgzilla

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2015, 07:38:37 AM »

I agree-- I think we've all heard enough about this.

cmashark

• Senior CVO Member
    • TN

• CVO1: 2021 FLHXSE
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2015, 10:45:42 AM »

Looks like a poor installation to me.  I've seen V&H pipes crack closer to the head.... from a piss poor installation.  Usually sinching the flanges down and trying to pull the back half of the pipes into alignment.  It's hard to blame the product if you didn't install it.

Chris
Chris

2021 FLHXSE

DALE#3

• SOFTAIL UPDATE
  • Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MA

« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2015, 08:54:50 PM »

Looks like, from your first post, as you said, that YOU bought a USED bike with 11k miles AND you think warranties should be transferred... Well, I see the problem... YOU.

Before making accusations about the way products should be warrantied or the longevity of a product, understand that many warranties are not transferrable. Seems you are upset at something other than this POS pipe, as you call it.

I have been on this site for quite a while, and when a NEWBIE comes on, ranting a case for bad products, he's usally the one without a valid case. Everything you've posted and the way you come across, puts all kinds of holes in your validity...

Any more, I hope a moderator steps up and cures this situation.

Good day, Paul

Is this YOUR website UNNEWBIE?? You have the balls coming on like i don't know chit or the problem is me.Then wanna report me to a moderator..
Sounds like you got alot of beatings on the school bus.Gee what pipes you got..I tell it like it is and don't hide behind a keyboard.The pipe was sold.Didn't last..DID IT?? Just a way of a company not paying a claim...
I post here to let would be buyers know what happened to me.Possibly you or the next guy buys used.Thinking their getting a QUALITY PART???
Aftermarket pipes help with resale....Ohh i don't need to take cats off their done.
Now people can look at this area for a brkn. pipe.
Go cry to the moderator about yourself....Don't like my opinion...MOVE ON!!! Get a life....VALIDITY..LMAO

OK EINSTEINS:Their is only the header flange and the rear muffler 2 bolts on the bag rail holding that hole pipe and muffler on your bike.Go have your pipes blessed .It's just a matter of time.Or sell your brkn. pipe to a sucker like me that didn't inspect at time of purchase.

DALE#3

• SOFTAIL UPDATE
  • Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MA

« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2015, 08:59:24 PM »

I agree-- I think we've all heard enough about this.

Another FRUITCAKE that owns the website  :huepfenjump3:

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2015, 09:11:37 PM »

Grow up, or just go away.  If you are such an expert, you might want to ask yourself why you bought that POS in the first place.  I doubt S&S or anyone else held a gun to your head.  A rocket scientist such as yourself probably should have researched the bike and the accessories before you signed on the dotted line, and since you're a V&H guy, you should have made changing the pipes to your favorite brand a part of the deal.  Don't attack anyone around here because you got the short end of the stick on a used bike purchase.  Go talk to the folks who sold the POS to you; maybe they will care but I doubt it with your attitude.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

hawgzilla

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2015, 09:40:23 PM »

Will the moderators please take care of this crackpot---

dooinit2u

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2015 SESG UltraViolet Blue / Hot Lava ***SOLD***
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2015, 06:58:44 AM »

Is this YOUR website UNNEWBIE?? You have the balls coming on like i don't know chit or the problem is me.Then wanna report me to a moderator..
Sounds like you got alot of beatings on the school bus.Gee what pipes you got..I tell it like it is and don't hide behind a keyboard.The pipe was sold.Didn't last..DID IT?? Just a way of a company not paying a claim...
I post here to let would be buyers know what happened to me.Possibly you or the next guy buys used.Thinking their getting a QUALITY PART???
Aftermarket pipes help with resale....Ohh i don't need to take cats off their done.
Now people can look at this area for a brkn. pipe.
Go cry to the moderator about yourself....Don't like my opinion...MOVE ON!!! Get a life....VALIDITY..LMAO

OK EINSTEINS:Their is only the header flange and the rear muffler 2 bolts on the bag rail holding that hole pipe and muffler on your bike.Go have your pipes blessed .It's just a matter of time.Or sell your brkn. pipe to a sucker like me that didn't inspect at time of purchase.

No sir, it is not my website, nor have I claimed it to be. But it seems that you have issues with manufacturers and their warranties that have no stake in what you are griping about...i.e. used bike, used parts,...BUT you still want them warrantied. That my friend is the IGNORANT part...

Your analogy of me getting beat up on the school bus and hiding behind a keyboard is hilarious... If by some reason you would happen to live between South Louisiana and Maggie Valley , NC, I'll be heading that way in 2 weeks, and would LOVE to meet you face to face, and I'll leave my keyboard at home...

The problem here is you think you're owed something and started your RANT without trying to establish a reason for the failure or even possibly getting help or info (which an open forum is designed for) pertaining to your problem...

Good Day...
« Last Edit: September 04, 2015, 07:09:15 AM by dooinit2u »

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2015, 09:02:31 AM »

Another FRUITCAKE that owns the website  :huepfenjump3:

actually i'm the "FRUITCAKE" that owns this web site.

if you'd like to continue to participate here, then discuss your issue without being a total ASS toward the rest of the membership
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

DALE#3

• SOFTAIL UPDATE
  • Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MA

« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2015, 02:41:10 PM »

Well, I see the problem... YOU.

This....WHATEVER draws FIRST BLOOD....And  i'm a  ASS
Very nice

BigLew

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2015, 04:10:00 PM »

Hey Paul if this meeting takes place let me know> I would like to watch! :orange:

BigLew

HOGMIKE

• 1K CVO Member
  • 65 FLH 93" + others
« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2015, 04:34:22 PM »

Purchased bike used with 11k miles.It's a SG CVO.OP had a HD dealer install pipes and a tuner tune with a stage 2.
Left leg was getting additionally HOT.Waited for next ride on start-up.It didn't sound good.Investigated a broken pipe.Nice.....Not happy.
Called dealer who did install.I have the UPDATED version witch mean's EAT-IT!!
Guess SS shortchanged on engineering issues with the SHAKING 110 rubber mounted engines.I was told the first series damaged the oil pans at the mounting points.
I already ordered a new VH header.I will call SS tomorrow.
I haven't read any negative on this form or HD forum.Possible a separate case...I doubt it.The diameter of these look pretty thin.   

I guess I'm a little confused........let me see if I understand the question:
You bought a used bike (what year?) that the "OP" (original purchaser?) had the dealer install an exhaust system on, right?
You noticed a defect in the materials/install/etc? and the dealer "told" you "eat it"? Correct?
Looks to me the dealer would make it right if they wanted your repeat business. They may have just wanted to push the bike out the door. Maybe they don't care if  you ever come back?
I see no issue with S&S not deciding to "warranty" the pipe, they really have no control once the parts are shipped to a shop, especially without any receipt to see when it was made and who it was shipped to.
Most businesses will, at their discretion,  follow up on defective parts. But that's up to them.
Most members here are willing to help, but, I'm not sure referring to some as "fruitcakes" will elicit a response you are hoping for.

By the way, this is JMHO
 :soapbox:

HOGMIKE

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2015, 06:47:46 PM »

My personal experience from back in 06.....Vance & Hines sure isn't the answer.  See this link....   http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=9781.0

No rant and rave.....just the facts.  Each can form their own opinion.  :nixweiss:
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2015, 07:52:16 AM »

Seems like members don't want to let this go... thread is now locked... time to move on.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.244 seconds with 21 queries.