Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
Re: SERT
« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2007, 02:21:23 PM »

Jerry,

I've been seeing parallels between the software industry and the MoCo for some time now.  Used to be that you didn't want to introduce a new product until it had been thoroughly tested and debugged.  This had multiple advantages, such as preserving your good reputation, reducing running changes and warranty expenses, etc.  Then along came the software hotshots who started throwing out half-baked software in an attempt to be first to market, pump up their stock prices, get rich, and then disappear.  Microsoft has been doing everything but the disappear part for ages (it's probably time for service pack 1 for Vista about now, some of their operating systems have had up to 4 service packs and countless other "fixes").  So I guess it was only natural for the MoCo to look at the big pile of money Mr. Gates has and assume that using the final customer as your unpaid QC inspector must be a really good idea.  

Jerry

Yes Jerry, there are parrallels there.  Our IT guys NEVER use any of the MS products until they've been out a minimum of one year, sometimes two.

It's not only the manufacturer who want's the product out there, today's consumer wants immediate gratification, or they will move to something else, so the blame can be spread around a bit.  It's all a gambling game, with the consumer either benefitting or getting screwed.

Let's hope the MOCO has done some pretty, pretty, pretty good testing on the drive by wire...uh, it's kinda important to have a properly operating throttle control, ya know?  At least maybe they made it a fail/safe component, instead of failing to WFO... :nervous: :nervous:  I don't want any stinkin' "Service Patches" on my throttle...
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Seegarsmkr

• Elite CVO Member
  • Do or do not there is no try...Yoda
« Reply #31 on: August 28, 2007, 02:24:07 PM »

Agreed Terry, if people weren't buying it...they certainly wouldn't be pushing it out.  It is the same argument for athletes making $100 million if people weren't supporting it they wouldn't be.  For every one of us who complain 10K are buying the hype.

Seegarz :2vrolijk_21:

If it sticks...force it...if it breaks...the damn thing needed replacing anyway!!

Seegarsmkr

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #32 on: August 28, 2007, 02:58:52 PM »

When you purchase a SERT does the cable come with it or is it extra?

Seegarz :2vrolijk_21:
Along w/what the others have said I'll add that you can use the cables on multiple bikes, in otherwords they aren't like the interface and get "married" to the ECM. If you have a friend w/the cables you can use theirs.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #33 on: August 28, 2007, 03:08:36 PM »

I dropped the $30 at Surdyke...After the 400 for sert, 300 for the pc 30 for cables are well...small potatoes.
It will be fun. :bananarock:

Miker

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #34 on: August 28, 2007, 04:17:19 PM »

I dropped the $30 at Surdyke...After the 400 for sert, 300 for the pc 30 for cables are well...small potatoes.
It will be fun. :bananarock:

Two cable are needed, one form the PC to the PFM box-dongle and one from there to the ECM 4 pin connector.
1st is a standard serial cable, 2nd is unique to the bike.

You will also need some kind of USB to serial dongle for the PC to be able to "talk" to the ECM. Unless your "new" laptop" is old enough to have a serial port.

The fact that it uses a serial port in the first place should give you an idea as to the unit not needing to be a speed demon computer.

Note that the first time you hook up the SERT to the bike and read the ECM info, the SERT is "permanently" married to that ECM.
You can not upload maps from the bike to the PC, only download. So it will be helpful to carefully label your maps as you play around so you know what is in the bike.
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

miker

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #35 on: August 28, 2007, 04:44:02 PM »

Two cable are needed, one form the PC to the PFM box-dongle and one from there to the ECM 4 pin connector.
1st is a standard serial cable, 2nd is unique to the bike.

You will also need some kind of USB to serial dongle for the PC to be able to "talk" to the ECM. Unless your "new" laptop" is old enough to have a serial port.

The fact that it uses a serial port in the first place should give you an idea as to the unit not needing to be a speed demon computer.

Note that the first time you hook up the SERT to the bike and read the ECM info, the SERT is "permanently" married to that ECM.
You can not upload maps from the bike to the PC, only download. So it will be helpful to carefully label your maps as you play around so you know what is in the bike.

Will I be able to view the existing map?  I think I have enough old puter crap to dongle some chite together.
Lets see if I am getting this silliness....From the laptop..a usb or serial goesoutta to serial goesinta on the null modem (the thingy with harley logos on it) then serial goesoutta from the thingy to the goesinta on the bike?  Oy! :huepfenjump3: :bananarock: :P

truley, thanks for your help so far and in the future!

Miker

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #36 on: August 28, 2007, 07:53:34 PM »

Will I be able to view the existing map? 

No.

MV 2013

miker

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #37 on: August 28, 2007, 09:23:46 PM »

Well I'll be dipped :-X....The tuner has "lost" his map for it....I'll just read up the nstructions on it  until I don't know when...It runs good I just wanted to see what was going on :nixweiss:.   Thanks again.

Miker

JCKPT

« Reply #38 on: August 28, 2007, 09:51:37 PM »

Miker, just an FYI on the Vista compatibility issue.  I have experimented with Vista (on my newest HP laptop).  The software loads and will read the ECM and works in the Diagnostics mode.  However (you new it was coming) It would never complete the flash cycle of a new map to the ECM.  See attached errors while uploading.  Also this little gem "The Windows Help (WinHlp32.exe) program is no longer included with Windows operating systems starting with Windows Vista".  Basically the embedded help system for the software is not supported by the newer help system of Vista.  Strike 2!  So I just loaded it up on my XP laptop and moved forward with no issues.  Good luck.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2007, 09:53:35 PM by JCKPT »
'07 SE  Ultra Classic
V & H True Duals
V & H Classic Slip-ons
SE A/C
SERT

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #39 on: August 28, 2007, 10:39:54 PM »

experimented with Vista

Vista sucks, just say no ..........................

MV 2013

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #40 on: August 28, 2007, 10:41:09 PM »

tuner has "lost" his map for it

Not likely, tell him you paid for it, you want a copy of it, so you  can "see" what your profile is.

MV 2013

Steve_G

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • SD

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTUSE Watermelon (traded)
    • CVO2: 2008 FLHTUSE3 Anniversary (traded)
    • CVO3: 2022 FLHTKSE Hightail Yellow
« Reply #41 on: September 07, 2007, 07:16:41 PM »

Just FYI -I called the local Harley shop and asked about the '08 SERTs.  They show as "Future".   I'm sure this is breaking news!  Retail- PLUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :pepper:
If Noah had been truly wise, he would have swatted those two flies!

miker

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #42 on: September 07, 2007, 08:11:33 PM »

I got a used dell for 300....got some cables, now to get a clue... :P
I'll just read up unitl I catch up with the tuner and then I will find out what is up :confused5:
No biggie, it runs fine, syn3 oil temp around 240.  We'll see if it drops wit the MVT.

Mike
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Page created in 0.183 seconds with 21 queries.