Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Build or Buy ?  (Read 1294 times)

Spiderman

• aka Spiderman "guest"
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2003 FLHRSEI2
    • CVO2: 2007 FLTR (faux CVO)
Re: Build or Buy ?
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2010, 10:45:50 AM »

This thread was opened in all seriousness as favor to a friend who has had several baggers and is currently riding a V-Rod and speaking with me about building a from scratch custom bagger due to his past experience with modifying stock bikes. The whole issue was why after a couple years of lurking I have begin posting. Perhaps we can begin again. We (my friend and I ) are looking for a A-Z list of what the members of this forum consider to be the best parts one could find to build the "perfect" bagger from. If it's been discussed to the nth degree previously, I apologize for not having paticipated in those past discussions. With the 2011 H-D line-up on the showroom floor, my friend does not see anything he likes.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2010, 11:17:01 AM »

Tell him he should definitely use Mobil 1 in the tires and nitrogen in the engine.  Start there and any project is a success!

But I digress....

Seriously, as long as it's red he can't go wrong.

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2010, 12:49:38 PM »

Just my .02 but trying to get a comprehensive A-Z list of parts to build the perfect bike could be endless and depends on many variables. Just because one part is the best doesn't mean it will work with another part that is the best of it's type, they need to work together and be used for a particular situation. Ex. what gets you top speed may not give you low or midrange torque.
If I was a builder/ supplier for the person I would want to know things like is the bike for speed or comfort? Also heavy rider/ passenger or light rider/cargo weight. Is it a bar hopper or a long haul bike?
Does the owner want style and bling vs handling? Some fad things look good but are not practical from a performance standpoint. Some performance mods are not practical on a daily driven in town commuter bike.( ex. runs too hot for stop and go driving.)

I also agree with other posts that modifying a factory bike and engine can be easier when it comes to insurance but it draws less attention from law enforcement at rallies or checkpoints when they are checking for matching numbers for possible stolen parts bikes. It is easier at the DMV for registration too.
Good luck with the build.

fourstar

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 FLHTCUSE4
    • CVO2: 04 FLSTCI
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2010, 12:55:22 PM »

Beserker, I wasn't trying to dampen enthusiasm for the discussion with my comment.  It was actually just a pointless observation.  Please accept my apology if I offended you!

BTW, red is the fastest color!!
“Red! I want red, there's no substitute for red!”
                                                             -Sammy Hagar

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2010, 02:33:29 PM »

Maybe the guy should just get a Honda ??? ?

Spiderman

• aka Spiderman "guest"
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2003 FLHRSEI2
    • CVO2: 2007 FLTR (faux CVO)
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2010, 08:11:10 PM »

Just my .02 but trying to get a comprehensive A-Z list of parts to build the perfect bike could be endless and depends on many variables. Just because one part is the best doesn't mean it will work with another part that is the best of it's type, they need to work together and be used for a particular situation. Ex. what gets you top speed may not give you low or midrange torque.
If I was a builder/ supplier for the person I would want to know things like is the bike for speed or comfort? Also heavy rider/ passenger or light rider/cargo weight. Is it a bar hopper or a long haul bike?
Does the owner want style and bling vs handling? Some fad things look good but are not practical from a performance standpoint. Some performance mods are not practical on a daily driven in town commuter bike.( ex. runs too hot for stop and go driving.)

I also agree with other posts that modifying a factory bike and engine can be easier when it comes to insurance but it draws less attention from law enforcement at rallies or checkpoints when they are checking for matching numbers for possible stolen parts bikes. It is easier at the DMV for registration too.
Good luck with the build.

With all due respect, I'd appreciate it if folks would post their thoughts anyway. I'll separate the wheat from the chaff as to what works with what.

Henry
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.162 seconds with 22 queries.