Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Build or Buy ?  (Read 1301 times)

Spiderman

• aka Spiderman "guest"
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2003 FLHRSEI2
    • CVO2: 2007 FLTR (faux CVO)
Build or Buy ?
« on: October 24, 2010, 01:17:25 PM »

Looking to aquire a bagger.Want a bike that truly fits me.  So much about what H-D sells in stock form even in the CVO line-up that is not quite what I'd like. Hell this website is devoted to CVO's and most of the threads are about somebody changing this or that. The thing is when I considered going maybe a TP 125 engine, Baker 7 trans, Bitubo Shocks, Traxion Dynamics front forks, Corbin seat, Renegade wheels, PM brakes, custom handlebars, chrome this that and every other thing, custom paint etc etc etc barring the resale factor of a "home made" motorcycle, building seems the wiser choice. Seems like $35k in parts gets me a hell of a lot further than buying a $35k motorcycle and modifying it       

Opinions ?

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
Re: Build or Buy ?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2010, 01:21:28 PM »

Looking to aquire a bagger.Want a bike that truly fits me.  So much about what H-D sells in stock form even in the CVO line-up that is not quite what I'd like. Hell this website is devoted to CVO's and most of the threads are about somebody changing this or that. The thing is when I considered going maybe a TP 125 engine, Baker 7 trans, Bitubo Shocks, Traxion Dynamics front forks, Corbin seat, Renegade wheels, PM brakes, custom handlebars, chrome this that and every other thing, custom paint etc etc etc barring the resale factor of a "home made" motorcycle, building seems the wiser choice. Seems like $35k in parts gets me a hell of a lot further than buying a $35k motorcycle and modifying it       

Opinions ?

Insurance companies like bikes that started life as being produced by a manufacturer.....  Just a small thing to consider.....
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Spiderman

• aka Spiderman "guest"
  • 1K CVO Member

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2010, 01:33:10 PM »

Insurance companies like bikes that started life as being produced by a manufacturer.....  Just a small thing to consider.....

I can get the bike insured irregardless. Reading the list of specialty items swapped out on your bike in the signature line, I can't help but wonder what your bottom line investment is ? 

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
    • IL

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2010, 01:40:26 PM »

I can get the bike insured irregardless. Reading the list of specialty items swapped out on your bike in the signature line, I can't help but wonder what your bottom line investment is ? 

If you are able to figure it out, don't tell me...  I'd rather not know...   ??? :)
Screamin Eagle 120r
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Spiderman

• aka Spiderman "guest"
  • 1K CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2010, 01:54:09 PM »

If you are able to figure it out, don't tell me...  I'd rather not know...   ??? :)

OK, close your eyes. For the rest of the group - - what do you think Mr sadunabar has in his ride - - - $55k ? 

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2010, 02:12:09 PM »

Using the ongoing Road King project as a data point it'll be completed with surprising economy.  The original purchase gave a good frame and title along with quite a few parts.  But nearly everything has got replated, powder coated, whatever.  And anything mechanical that has any potential wear point has been rebuilt, replaced or whatever.  It'll be as close to a new bike as any bike can be that isn't on the showroom floor and isn't still a virgin.

Finding the engine cases damaged was a big loss and unexpected.  Had the original engine been something that could be just dumped back in the whole bike would have been done for 10-11k.  Granted, that meant a fair bit of patience.  A willingness to wait for bargains to show up that actually matched the overall plan for the bike.  But it could be done.  And it'll be a pretty special bike when it's eventually done.

As is it's got about 10k in before the engine and tranny guts.  Expect the project to complete with about 16k in it.  It'll have Monotubes in the front, some good shocks (as yet unbought) on the rear, American Wire 100 spoke radials for wheels, Brembo in the front, everything chromed or powder coated, short stroke 107 and (probably) a six speed.  Someone could easily spend a ton more.  But if you're patient and willing to take some extra time in the project a lot can be saved.  Project will probably end up better in the end too.

Spiderman

• aka Spiderman "guest"
  • 1K CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2010, 03:55:32 PM »

Bought an Insurance wreck and built a stock Evo Road King for $11k back in 2003. Am looking for sooooooooo much more than that in this project. Basically a rock solid version of the Thunder Mtn bagger I saw posted on this site a couple years back. Don't remember who's it was,but if memory serves, it was a real sweet ride. Although as I recall there were some posts about the owner having some issues with handling or something. What was that about - - too big a rear tire ? Anyway, are there any custom baggers being built by Mfgr's with OEM certificates ?

fourstar

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 FLHTCUSE4
    • CVO2: 04 FLSTCI
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2010, 04:15:54 PM »

This gets rehashed almost as much as the oil and wave threads.  IMHO, if you have the time, patience, KSA's, tools, workspace, vision, and a few other things I can't think of this minute, building it yourself is going to be less expensive and far more gratifying than buying one already done.  However, if one was looking to build something identical to an off-the-floor CVO, it is highly doubtful that it could be done for less than the actual cost of purchasing the CVO. 
“Red! I want red, there's no substitute for red!”
                                                             -Sammy Hagar

scottieb

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 SEUC
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2010, 04:38:29 PM »

For me it is always to build. Doing a CVO Ultra and a regular SG at the moment. I also have an 04 RK that I turned into a SG, it might be for sale.

Spiderman

• aka Spiderman "guest"
  • 1K CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2010, 07:31:53 PM »

And the issue of red bikes is pretty boring too if you ask me, but hey, unless it's obscene or political we get to post what we choose.

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
    • IL

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2010, 07:37:18 PM »

And the issue of red bikes is pretty boring too if you ask me, but hey, unless it's obscene or political we get to post what we choose.

Any other topics that bother you?  Just wondering...   ???
Screamin Eagle 120r
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Spiderman

• aka Spiderman "guest"
  • 1K CVO Member

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2010, 07:46:15 PM »

Any other topics that bother you?  Just wondering...   ???

I'm fine with anything anyone wants to talk about, oil, spark plugs, tires, you name it. Somebody else was kvetching about this thread so I replied. Been married awhile, force of habit, you know tit for tat  :) 

Spiderman

• aka Spiderman "guest"
  • 1K CVO Member

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2010, 07:53:08 PM »

Now that you mention it.
It's not red but it would wobble when ridden in a straight line.
Imagine that?
And yes that topic did bother me!
Almost killed me a couple times.

SBB

Yeah, that's the one. So from the tone of your post, you must have sold it. Did the new owner get the wobble out of it ?

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
    • IL

« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2010, 08:03:52 PM »

I'm fine with anything anyone wants to talk about, oil, spark plugs, tires, you name it. Somebody else was kvetching about this thread so I replied. Been married awhile, force of habit, you know tit for tat  :) 

:2vrolijk_21:
Screamin Eagle 120r
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2010, 09:06:06 PM »

Some of us like red bikes and some of us like (to) whine.  Hell, some masochists even like wooden boats.  God help the poor bastard so warped he like both wooden boats and bikes though.  Anyone that warped would chase cars and howl at the moon!  
« Last Edit: October 24, 2010, 10:34:05 PM by Twolanerider »
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.152 seconds with 20 queries.