Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: Oil Update?  (Read 4792 times)

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
Re: Oil Update?
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2013, 06:48:44 PM »

I change all 3 Redline fluids every 5,000 miles.  Engine 20W50, primary MTL, tranny Shockproof..

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2013, 07:05:52 PM »

Engine oil - 5000 miles

Primary and trans - 10,000 miles

If you think about it, it shouldn't be necessary to change the trans fluid more often than 20,000 miles, if ever.  When was the last time you changed the transmission fluid in a car or truck manual gearbox?  How about the last time you changed the rear axle lube in a rear wheel drive car or truck?  Same kind of lubes and same kind of parts.

Harley now calls for 5k engine, 10k primary, and 20k trans in their maintenance schedules btw.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

evodistraction

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 SERK "Burgandy Blaze"
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2013, 07:24:26 PM »

Engine oil - 5000 miles

Primary and trans - 10,000 miles

If you think about it, it shouldn't be necessary to change the trans fluid more often than 20,000 miles, if ever.  When was the last time you changed the transmission fluid in a car or truck manual gearbox?  How about the last time you changed the rear axle lube in a rear wheel drive car or truck?  Same kind of lubes and same kind of parts.

Harley now calls for 5k engine, 10k primary, and 20k trans in their maintenance schedules btw.

Jerry

Sounds like a plan to me! It's even not to hard on the wallet (leaving more $$ for other goodies!)

Evo

05Train

• Mind is not for rent
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2013, 07:28:25 PM »

After 50,000 miles of UOA in my Limited, I won't use Amsoil.  Currently running Mobil 1 10W-40 for the winter.   Primary gets Formula + every 5k.  Transmission gets Mobil 1 75-90 every 20k. 

Why no Amsoil?   Unacceptable viscosity breakdown.
The best you've had is the best you know.

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2013, 08:04:03 PM »

The tranny change at 5,000 miles is overkill.  But the primary oil I wouldn't go over 5,000 miles on the nasty looking fluid that comes out and the drain plug always looks bad.  Between the wear on the SE compensator and the clutch disc fibre wear, the 07 and later bikes have dirty primaries IMO.. 

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2013, 08:56:46 PM »

That's no chit, Bob.  This was after 8,000 on my SEUC.  Thought I was doing it a favor changing it early.  Wasn't early enough, IMO. :o

dlaws01

• 1K CVO Member
  • Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulltion

• CVO1: 105th Anniversary FXSTSSE2
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2013, 09:41:57 PM »

Another oil thread.  When is this topic going to get it's own slot?  :drink:
Jesus is Lord

05Train

• Mind is not for rent
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2013, 10:08:44 PM »

Another oil thread.  When is this topic going to get it's own slot?  :drink:
Not an oil thread.  They're only in season between December and February.

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2013, 12:28:56 AM »

iski.........is that polish?

Evo

Evo, no my family tree is from several parts of the world. But I really like the sausages.  Antarctica is my preferred designation, but try to find that on a Census Bureau survey. 

Best of luck on your oil quest.  I too once wandered amidst the tall weeds of lubricational confusions, seeking truth.  This was similar to my quest for waxes, polishes, & other elixers to make all things shiny.  Alas, my findings are that nearly everyone has an opinion on oil & polishes & while there is some consensus, the search is muddled by mumbo jumbos, magical potions, grossly overpriced geezinflaw formulations (that some love long time since they paid a small mortgage payment for the priviledge of owning them), and a secret hap hap happy ingredient that some of us refer to as "unobtanium".  I also drink beer, which seems to help a lot more than the research.  In truth I use oils & polishes & my bikes run reasonably well & are shinier some days than others.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

cahdbiker

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2013, 10:07:27 AM »

Sounds like some good information, but what do you use in your muffler bearings? I prefer Jagermeister mixed with wine from a box. CAHDBIKER

Single source DNA dino oil from Antarctica has proven to be petrometrically superior to ordinary multi DNA dino oil as to overall internal slideability metallicular quotients and the single DNA Synthetic Oil is a superior slickatious synthesizer to ordinary ultra low cost pedestrian synthetic oil which is suitable for squeaky luggage rollaway wheels & the like but not for an American V-Twin engine.  I prefer the pterydactyl variety since it is lighter weight & the dyno indicates a .00004% boost in HP & TQ.

2009 SEUC just south of Point Mugu Ventura County, Ca.

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2013, 10:30:25 AM »

No doubt... :huepfenlol2:

I would say the consensus around here is Redline Shockproof in the tranny; Mobil I V-Twin, Amsoil, Redline in the crankcase (all synthetics); and for the Primary, Redline, Formula + (a HD product), or good Automatic Transmission fluid.  Nothing wrong with Bel Ray either...it just stinks.  The Redline shockproof is pink, so it makes it easy to tell when things start leaking... ;)

There is nothing WRONG with HD Syn3, but there are simply products that equal or better it, and for less money out of pocket.  Unless you ride on dirt roads a lot, or do a lot of strictly in town riding, it is a total waste of money and resources to change the oil more often than every 5K miles.

I hadn't heard that ATF was an OK fluid for the primary case.

In the old days with automatic transmissions and you couldn't afford a rebuild in a NON Ford car, you refilled your trans with Ford ATF.  Ford ATF would increase the grip of the plates and make it seem like a rebuild.

Has anyone used Ford ATF in a HD primary?  I would be interested to know how the clutch functioned with its use.

This has been an interesting read.  I use Amsoil, but have stayed with the HD brands in the other two holes.  I should swap out the trans for the Redline Shockproof to quiet down my 5th gear noise as well as I understand that the trans shifts a bit smoother.

Thanks to all for the great reading material.
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

05Train

• Mind is not for rent
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2013, 10:45:07 AM »

I don't like ATF in the primary.  I think it degrades clutch feel, and I'm not convinced it's nearly as good for the compensator as Formula +.

This is my final UOA from my FLHTK.  You can see what consistently happened to the viscosity, and why I won't use Amsoil again.

dartman

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2013, 01:18:16 PM »

Thought this was Funny no intent meant lol

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2013, 02:05:32 PM »

Sounds like some good information, but what do you use in your muffler bearings? I prefer Jagermeister mixed with wine from a box. CAHDBIKER

Yes I use the same as you for my muffler bearings.  HD muffler bearings are crap - only got 14 miles out of the last stock set before they repitulated.  S & S muffler bearings cost half as much & so far these have served me well in the last 5 bikes I have owned & they have 342,876.3 miles on them, some of that in fog even.

Not to brag, but the stock Johnson bar on the Ultra checks @ .000000002 accurate. You ever check yours?
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

cahdbiker

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2013, 03:25:36 PM »

My Johnson bar is out of round so I had some out of round pulleys and sprockets custom made to match it so my bike would run smoothly. CAHDBIKER

Yes I use the same as you for my muffler bearings.  HD muffler bearings are crap - only got 14 miles out of the last stock set before they repitulated.  S & S muffler bearings cost half as much & so far these have served me well in the last 5 bikes I have owned & they have 342,876.3 miles on them, some of that in fog even.

Not to brag, but the stock Johnson bar on the Ultra checks @ .000000002 accurate. You ever check yours?

2009 SEUC just south of Point Mugu Ventura County, Ca.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.169 seconds with 20 queries.