Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Oil Update?  (Read 4796 times)

evodistraction

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 SERK "Burgandy Blaze"
Oil Update?
« on: November 26, 2013, 10:45:00 AM »

I was researching the site for discussions on oils. I found some good info but the most recent post I could find was from 2011. A lot can change in 2 years, has anyone had any recent experience with any new products? The general consensus seems to be Amsoil for engine/primary and Bel Ray for transmission. I also assume that factory recommended intervals are
accepted standards for changes since there was no discussion regarding anything different. A few others such as Royal Blue and Mobil 1 were mentioned but there were no specific data given about comparisons based on performance, wear etc. It doesn't appear that H-D products are highly favored. Most seem to agree that synthetic is the way to go.

Anyone want to chime in on this?

Evo

GC_Super

• Elite CVO Member
  • Great Ride!
Re: Oil Update?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2013, 12:13:34 PM »

I would think if you did a search for oil you could probably find enough material to read for a year or so.  ;Dl
2006 SEUltra ordered, born on Feb 10, recieved Feb, 28, 2006

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2013, 12:22:41 PM »

Yep.  Not doing something right.  :nixweiss:

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2013, 12:23:30 PM »

I would think if you did a search for oil you could probably find enough material to read for a year or so.  ;Dl

No doubt... :huepfenlol2:

I would say the consensus around here is Redline Shockproof in the tranny; Mobil I V-Twin, Amsoil, Redline in the crankcase (all synthetics); and for the Primary, Redline, Formula + (a HD product), or good Automatic Transmission fluid.  Nothing wrong with Bel Ray either...it just stinks.  The Redline shockproof is pink, so it makes it easy to tell when things start leaking... ;)

There is nothing WRONG with HD Syn3, but there are simply products that equal or better it, and for less money out of pocket.  Unless you ride on dirt roads a lot, or do a lot of strictly in town riding, it is a total waste of money and resources to change the oil more often than every 5K miles.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

evodistraction

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2013, 12:53:46 PM »

Don't get me wrong there is tons of info here and it dates back to the beginning of the world, I was just hoping to find something more recent than 2011.

Evo

evodistraction

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2013, 01:09:59 PM »

No doubt... :huepfenlol2:

I would say the consensus around here is Redline Shockproof in the tranny; Mobil I V-Twin, Amsoil, Redline in the crankcase (all synthetics); and for the Primary, Redline, Formula + (a HD product), or good Automatic Transmission fluid.  Nothing wrong with Bel Ray either...it just stinks.  The Redline shockproof is pink, so it makes it easy to tell when things start leaking... ;)

There is nothing WRONG with HD Syn3, but there are simply products that equal or better it, and for less money out of pocket.  Unless you ride on dirt roads a lot, or do a lot of strictly in town riding, it is a total waste of money and resources to change the oil more often than every 5K miles.

Thanks MR that is good info. So are you changing all the oils every 5K or just the engine?

Evo

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2013, 01:30:29 PM »

Don't get me wrong there is tons of info here and it dates back to the beginning of the world, I was just hoping to find something more recent than 2011.

Evo

There are plenty of posts and threads on the subject since 2011, because people keep starting new threads or reviving old ones.  However, to answer your question there really isn't anything new in the world of lubricants that would apply to a Harley.  Use products that meet the manufacturer's requirements (which includes a ton of products btw) and stop worrying about whether or not you are using the stuff with the most "buzz" on the forums this month.  Most of the info you will get on any of these forums is hearsay at best, kind of like the he said she said crap you find in the tabloids.  There are many excellent products out there, and even the Harley products like SYN3 and Formula+ are better than average.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Roman Gold/Burnt Emerald
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2013, 01:35:01 PM »

yep, as said, not to worry too much about the brand, but worry more about changing it when required.  almost any modern oil is going to meet hd specs.

to add fuel to the fire:  I use redline 20w/60 (hot here in la) in the engine, shell rotella t in the primary ($11.00 per gallon) and a good 75-90 gear oil for the tranny.  I change engine and primary every 5k, and then all 3 every 10k.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2013, 02:37:56 PM by ekim60 »
I understand the concept of reality, but find it too confining as a way of life

quicked

• quicked
  • Junior CVO Member
  • GOTTA RIDE
    • FL

• CVO1: 2010 inferno orange flstse
    • CVO2: 2009 electric orange fltrse3
    • CVO3: 2005 cherry seeg,sold 1994 black,polish and chrome FATBOY 117 CUSTOM S&S SIDEWINDER,BAKER TORQUEBOX,CHAINDRIVE
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2013, 01:40:38 PM »

^very ^well ^written^jerry^ :2vrolijk_21:
« Last Edit: November 26, 2013, 01:43:17 PM by quicked »
09 fltrse3, custom hicomp124,,s&s flywheel,axtell cyl,,redshift 647 cams.s&s lifters,roller rockers,jims titanium pushrods.weldedported heads,s&s lifter pushrods,feuling beehive springs,s&s tc3 oilpump cam plate,se 5.3 inj,se 58mm tbody,baker grudgebox,barnett clutch,aims vp,diamondeng race fastnrs,thundermax,d&d boarzilla,2010 flstse,SE10.5 pistons,ported heads,s&s pshrdslifters,rollrrockers,woodscamstw9b6,SE6.2inj,hpi55tbody,barnettclutch,diamondeng race fasteners ,pm calipers,rb race header

evodistraction

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2013, 02:49:10 PM »

There are plenty of posts and threads on the subject since 2011, because people keep starting new threads or reviving old ones.  However, to answer your question there really isn't anything new in the world of lubricants that would apply to a Harley.  Use products that meet the manufacturer's requirements (which includes a ton of products btw) and stop worrying about whether or not you are using the stuff with the most "buzz" on the forums this month.  Most of the info you will get on any of these forums is hearsay at best, kind of like the he said she said crap you find in the tabloids.  There are many excellent products out there, and even the Harley products like SYN3 and Formula+ are better than average.

Jerry

Sage advice indeed. Especially regarding marketing hype or current boutique trends. So far no one has referred to specific data or documentation comparing any of these products with each other. If such information exists I would love to see it. I know it's out there somewhere. I will research on my own for this but if anyone here already has it or knows where to get it I would greatly appreciate the tip.

So do you agree with the 5K/10K interval as suggested by ekim60? I want to establish a program and then stay with that going forward. I defer to the experience here but know that there will be different opinions.

Evo

Eagle Eye

• THE EAGLE HAS LANDED!
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Every day is a great day to ride!

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUE2 Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2013, 03:01:12 PM »

Here is one link to a discussion that includes some study results. 

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=31814.0

Hope it helps.

Ken
Ken2
Vietnam Vet
Spec-5
Medic
US Army

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2013, 05:25:53 PM »

Single source DNA dino oil from Antarctica has proven to be petrometrically superior to ordinary multi DNA dino oil as to overall internal slideability metallicular quotients and the single DNA Synthetic Oil is a superior slickatious synthesizer to ordinary ultra low cost pedestrian synthetic oil which is suitable for squeaky luggage rollaway wheels & the like but not for an American V-Twin engine.  I prefer the pterydactyl variety since it is lighter weight & the dyno indicates a .00004% boost in HP & TQ.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2013, 05:31:22 PM »

Link to Amsoil test report from 2009:
http://wpc.1c96.edgecastcdn.net/001C96/G-Items/Performance%20Testing%20Archives/g2156-2009-archived/index.html

The overall test results are attached as an image file.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2013, 05:47:41 PM »

Nothing has changed in recent (last 10-15 years) history.

Like GRC (Jerry) said...there are a bunch of products out there.  I do think it best to put a specific product in each hole, instead of the same product in every hole.  Not that it won't work, but IMO it's just a better idea.  Particularly the tranny, where I think a gear lube like Shockproof is superior to regular 20W50 oil, regardless of brand.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

evodistraction

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2013, 06:22:44 PM »

Link to Amsoil test report from 2009:
http://wpc.1c96.edgecastcdn.net/001C96/G-Items/Performance%20Testing%20Archives/g2156-2009-archived/index.html

The overall test results are attached as an image file.

Jerry

Good info and saved me some time looking too. I hate to be picky but what about the oil change intervals? What are you guys doing?

iski.........is that polish?

Evo
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.168 seconds with 20 queries.