Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13

Author Topic: Head Gasket  (Read 28610 times)

HogBreath

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2009 cvo roadglide
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO StreetKing
Head Gasket
« on: May 23, 2007, 01:02:27 PM »

I briefly searched for an existing thread on this. It may already be here somewhere, if it is, My apologies.

Hoist pointed out the heads on my 110 engine leaking. It's minimal, but I understand it can do nothing except get worse. I don't think I have to get it fixed tomorrow, but I need to get it fixed. It should be under warranty. I called the wrench at my dealership with my thoughts.

Ok, Head leaking, need to change the head gasket. I've read on here than the thinner gaskets are used to increase compression and should be replaced with thicker gaskets. Is that correct? Dealer says that's not so. Then, when I tell him my buddies on the internet says different, his response of course is, Can't beleive everything you hear online. Yea, I know, but he doesn't know this web site. I don't believe EVERYTHING I read here, I'm not completely giullible.

If the head has to come off, that should be the time for different cams. Talkng to a few others on here SE's 251 is a good cam. Not too aggressive. Dealer agrees, and agrees it would be a good time to do it.

The thundermax AT needs to be remapped. Thinking I'll talk to Rhino sometime and see what he thinks. THAt At seems to be his thing. Dealer says he can do it. We'll see. I may compare dealers thoughts to others.

It's funny when you talk to the dealers and they are always saying something opposite of what we read here. I ask if he's had any customers with problems, NO not a one. Tells me the seepage I'm seeing is probably from the intake filter.

Saturday i plan to ride down and let him take a peep. Also asked him to talk to the powers that be over the thin/thicker head gasket. I'll keep ya posted.
It's not the destination. It's the Journey.

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
Re: Head Gasket
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2007, 01:10:24 PM »

I briefly searched for an existing thread on this. It may already be here somewhere, if it is, My apologies.

Hoist pointed out the heads on my 110 engine leaking. It's minimal, but I understand it can do nothing except get worse. I don't think I have to get it fixed tomorrow, but I need to get it fixed. It should be under warranty. I called the wrench at my dealership with my thoughts.

Ok, Head leaking, need to change the head gasket. I've read on here than the thinner gaskets are used to increase compression and should be replaced with thicker gaskets. Is that correct? Dealer says that's not so. Then, when I tell him my buddies on the internet says different, his response of course is, Can't beleive everything you hear online. Yea, I know, but he doesn't know this web site. I don't believe EVERYTHING I read here, I'm not completely giullible.

If the head has to come off, that should be the time for different cams. Talkng to a few others on here SE's 251 is a good cam. Not too aggressive. Dealer agrees, and agrees it would be a good time to do it.

The thundermax AT needs to be remapped. Thinking I'll talk to Rhino sometime and see what he thinks. THAt At seems to be his thing. Dealer says he can do it. We'll see. I may compare dealers thoughts to others.

It's funny when you talk to the dealers and they are always saying something opposite of what we read here. I ask if he's had any customers with problems, NO not a one. Tells me the seepage I'm seeing is probably from the intake filter.

Saturday i plan to ride down and let him take a peep. Also asked him to talk to the powers that be over the thin/thicker head gasket. I'll keep ya posted.

I did not get to see the new head gasket, but the tech said it was a bit thicker, not bunches, but some. He said the hole around the oil return was definitely different. That difference tells me that the revision was done to solve this problem.

I would also ask them to look inside the rocker box and see if the intake valve spring retainer is hitting. Mine was, in both boxes.

Now, as for all you guys getting new cams. Stop it! I don't need to spend the money.

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2007, 01:14:51 PM »

I did not get to see the new head gasket, but the tech said it was a bit thicker, not bunches, but some. He said the hole around the oil return was definitely different. That difference tells me that the revision was done to solve this problem.

I would also ask them to look inside the rocker box and see if the intake valve spring retainer is hitting. Mine was, in both boxes.

Now, as for all you guys getting new cams. Stop it! I don't need to spend the money.

Is the leaking head gasket problem related to the resulting possible cam replacement scenario?

My head gaskets leak, good time to get cams while they are being replaced? :nixweiss:

"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2007, 01:19:32 PM »

Is the leaking head gasket problem related to the resulting possible cam replacement scenario?

My head gaskets leak, good time to get cams while they are being replaced? :nixweiss:

You can save some parts and labor since they will have the head (in my case, only 1), or heads, off and the pushrods out. You won't need adjustable pushrods which saves some $$.

As an added bonus, they will be able to check the run-out on the pinion, another semi-common problem. Be careful, they may want to give you a new motor if run-out is excessive and then you have to start over.

HogBreath

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2007, 01:20:52 PM »

New brick veneeer, or a new cam. Chief, that's a no brainer. Do you REALLY even need a house?

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2007, 01:21:24 PM »

You can save some parts and labor since they will have the head (in my case, only 1), or heads, off and the pushrods out. You won't need adjustable pushrods which saves some $$.

As an added bonus, they will be able to check the run-out on the pinion, another semi-common problem. Be careful, they may want to give you a new motor if run-out is excessive and then you have to start over.

Thanks Chief.  Seems like a natural - labor savings and all.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2007, 01:23:23 PM »

New brick veneeer, or a new cam. Chief, that's a no brainer. Do you REALLY even need a house?

Are both of yours leaky? The norm has been just the rear one. Sounds like you're special.

Here's one of the other threads on this, with pictures:
http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=12869.0
« Last Edit: May 23, 2007, 01:28:47 PM by Chief »

hard10

• Emperor of the Imperial Grand Masters of Sarcasm
  • 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE²
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2007, 01:42:43 PM »

Ken, have them change BOTH. Do not take no for an answer! They both need to be done. The NEW part number is 16801-07A. Have them look it up in HDNet.com.

AJ

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2007, 01:46:05 PM »

Ken, have them change BOTH. Do not take no for an answer! They both need to be done. The NEW part number is 16801-07A. Have them look it up in HDNet.com.

AJ

I suggested that they do both on my bike, but didn't push too hard. They said with no indication of leakage on the front one, HD wouldn't cover it. I'm ok with the decision.

I do understand the theory of having the same gasket on both heads tho.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2007, 05:16:27 PM »

AJ

The new gasket is reported to be thicker.  I'd certainly take exception to mismatched head gaskets having to be accepted as a result of a warranty failure.  Especially when the failed piece had been superceded so early in its lifespan.

HogBreath

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2007, 06:26:17 AM »

Are both of yours leaky? The norm has been just the rear one. Sounds like you're special.

Here's one of the other threads on this, with pictures:
http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=12869.0

Just the rear head so far.

nixobilly

• Elite CVO Member
  • 07 'CUSE2 B & O ------ 09 BMW R1200GSA
    • TX
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2007, 09:41:50 AM »

My dealers' best practice is replace both -- good thing 'cause I wanted them both replaced anyway....

Mark

Hugh Janis

• Jim
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2 Cherry and Black
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2007, 09:46:02 AM »

Think of it as a runny nose.  Your bike has a cold.  Don't worry, it'll heal.  For what we paid for these bikes they should heal themselves!
"I don't mind coming to work,
But that eight hour wait to go home is a bitch."

Click link for BBQ song..   http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1825742

TimBone

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2007, 02:54:10 PM »

I am with you guys, just noticed the seeping on my rear head gasket at just over 5K miles.  Now to find a good dealer here in North Carolina that will take care of me.
Oh OK, time for some CAMs, HaHa, I love it.

Smiler

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2007, 03:04:06 PM »

Chief
What do you mean by run-out?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13

Page created in 0.182 seconds with 21 queries.