Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Gas coming out from tank gas cap while riding  (Read 10288 times)

03Lightningrocks

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

• CVO1: 2013 Road King
    • HVAC
Re: Gas coming out from tank gas cap while riding
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2015, 05:52:13 PM »

If the fuel cap gasket is truly sealed to the filler neck, fuel should not spew out of the cap, no matter how full you filled the tank.  There is a venting system that will direct fumes and even liquid fuel away from the rider.  There is either a problem with the gasket not sealing to the filler neck, or the cap is defective.  Trust me folks, there has been at least one recall by Harley in the past for this problem.  Not only is it an emissions defect, but it is a safety defect as well.

You shouldn't overfill the tank of course, but you also should not have to run the tank 3/4 full to avoid a lap full of gasoline while riding.

Jerry

Thanks for that information. I guess I am going to tell them to order me a new cap or filler neck ...or both???

03Lightningrocks

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

• HVAC
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2015, 06:00:54 PM »

So to fill while not on the kick stand you are filling up while sitting on the bike (since there is no center stand)?

Yes. It is easier than you might think...LOL. I leave the kick stand down in case I lose my balance while looking at the young ladies. ;0)

A few months back I was in Florida and did not have the kick stand down. Filled up the tank and decided I wanted a cold drink. Yep... I did it. Stepped off the bike and watched it gracefully lay iitself on the ground. Urgh... my embarrassment gave me the energy to get her back up but damn, that was not fun after riding for 10 hours straight.

moscooter

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2015, 06:25:01 PM »

Yes. It is easier than you might think...LOL. I leave the kick stand down in case I lose my balance while looking at the young ladies. ;0)

A few months back I was in Florida and did not have the kick stand down. Filled up the tank and decided I wanted a cold drink. Yep... I did it. Stepped off the bike and watched it gracefully lay iitself on the ground. Urgh... my embarrassment gave me the energy to get her back up but damn, that was not fun after riding for 10 hours straight.
:-\

Myself and other riders I know........have had that same problem.  It was not the result of viewing some nice ladies,  but a few too many brews along the way.  Not a habit I would recommend to others,  as the results might not be too pretty. :oops:

03Lightningrocks

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

• HVAC
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2015, 07:19:03 PM »

:drink: :drink: :drink:  Not me man. I am a professional drinker. I have the paperwork to prove it.

zigscvobo

• Full CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 2014 BREAKOUT
    • CVO2: 2006 ROAD KING CUSTOM 95 INCHER
    • CVO3: 1981 CUSTOM SHOVELHEAD 80 INCHER
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2015, 04:50:42 PM »

Yeah and when I put my winshield on and get her up on the dyno, I dont see the same hp/tq numbers. lololol :huepfenjump3:

CVO Black Ghost

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • HI

« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2015, 11:19:43 PM »

Had the same issue with a 2013.  If the air vent lines get moved or kinked coming out and under the tank, tank pressure build up forces fuel out the cap.  Really annoying problem but very fixable.

HDBill

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OK

« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2015, 12:43:59 PM »

I had an issue after dealer replaced my fuel pump with pressure releasing from tank when taking the cap off. They had pinched off the vent hose when reinstalling the tank. It did not leak though. Also I have a bike that was one recalled. They took a reamer that just scraped some paint out of the filler neck. It hasn't leaked since though the filler neck will likely rust now. The breakout I finger tighten so I would believe it to be a sealing issue as well.

ematicic

• Full CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 2013 Break Out
« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2015, 08:32:55 AM »

Had this happen twice and both were shortly after getting caught in a downpour and shortly after refueling(25 milesish after, not immediately) Annoying yes, but wondering if the rain somehow clogged the venting system or just a coincidence. not too bad considering I am at about 15K miles. I have the 13.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.137 seconds with 21 queries.