Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]

Author Topic: nitrogen filled tires?  (Read 8715 times)

harleydawg57

• Full CVO Member
  • "Raring to go-- but can't go for raring!!"

• CVO1: 2004 SEEG orange/black
nitrogen filled tires?
« on: May 14, 2008, 11:57:47 AM »

I was wondering if anyone on the sight has any info on filling tires with nitrogen on their bikes.  I have talked to several people that have it in their car tires; and NASCAR has used it for years.  Suppose to have less fluctuation in pressures and save on wear and tear on tires. 
2004 SEEG Orange/Black
HD six speed-True Duals with Samson slip ons- S & S gear drive cams with oiling fuel pump-power commander-Kuyakyn rear adjustable rider pegs-HD tuner-Hawg-Wired amp and speakers w/Sony Tuner xm sat radio-Boogey Lights

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

DESERTBEAR54

• DESERTBEAR
  • 1K CVO Member
  • BLUU 10 SEUC,09 Street Glide
Re: nitrogen filled tires?
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2008, 01:16:07 PM »

All Aircraft use Nitrogen in there tires and yes they stay at a constant pressure better and longer. They also don't have to worry about regular air that always has moisture in it and freezes at altitude. Just don't let anyone ever talk you into using Pure Oxygen in your tires!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! A Rolling BOMB!!! 8) 8) 8) 8)
1000 Bears Can't Be Wrong Eat Your Honey Then Ride Safe and Smoke A Good Cigar!!

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2008, 01:24:47 PM »

If I had 79% of all the girls, Harleys, steaks or other so very few actually worthwhile things in the world I'd be considered a glutton.  So having 79% nitrogen in my tires should be fine.  I don't want to be a nitrogen glutton.  It seems so rude...  :coolblue:

kb

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 08 serk twilight/cobalt blue
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2008, 05:18:20 PM »

I recently had nitrogen put in my truck tires it seems to increase my gas miles about 1+ mpg.
kb

DESERTBEAR54

• DESERTBEAR
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2008, 05:31:26 PM »

The reason we loose air pressure in our tires is because of all the moisture in the air or water in some places we get air. When the temp changes so does your tire pressure. Dry Nitrogen is dry and clean air with no moisture so your tires stay the same pressure for a long time.  8) 8)
1000 Bears Can't Be Wrong Eat Your Honey Then Ride Safe and Smoke A Good Cigar!!

Hugh Janis

• Jim
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2 Cherry and Black
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2008, 06:45:47 PM »

I recently had nitrogen put in my truck tires it seems to increase my gas miles about 1+ mpg.

Sorry, I've got throw the Bravo Sierra flag on this one.....   :givemebeer:

That's too statistically insignificant to be placed at the top of the list of all of the hundreds of other variables that influence fuel efficiency.
"I don't mind coming to work,
But that eight hour wait to go home is a bitch."

Click link for BBQ song..   http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1825742

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2008, 07:01:57 PM »

I put helium in my tires, and my gas mileage went straight to hell!  Damn tires kept floating up off the ground.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2008, 07:57:17 PM »

I put helium in my tires, and my gas mileage went straight to hell!  Damn tires kept floating up off the ground.

Jerry

Jerry, I'm going to have to share a patent with you.  Was just inspired by your post.  Am going to invent little thin contoured helium filled bra bladders for that special lifting effect.  And maybe start a sideline business for installation :coolblue: .

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2008, 08:00:57 PM »

* Fired00d shakes his head.

Only his brotha from anotha motha would think of this. :huepfenlol2:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2008, 08:46:31 PM »

Jerry, I'm going to have to share a patent with you.  Was just inspired by your post.  Am going to invent little thin contoured helium filled bra bladders for that special lifting effect.  And maybe start a sideline business for installation :coolblue: .

Sounds like a plan Don. :2vrolijk_21:

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

RioGlide

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 07 SE Road King - sold
    • CVO2: 07 VRSCDX - Night Rod Special - sold
    • CVO3: 11 FLRTUSE - Rio Red
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2008, 09:57:26 PM »

Yet another one of those things where I have to shake my head and say, Damn why didn't I think of that.....
 :worthless:

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2008, 11:47:53 PM »

The reason we lose air pressure in our tires is because of all the moisture in the air or water in some places we get air. When the temp changes so does your tire pressure. Dry Nitrogen is dry and clean air with no moisture so your tires stay the same pressure for a long time.  8) 8)

the material tires are made of is porous.

:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2008, 11:49:25 PM »

I once added mercury to mine, but the the centrifugal force was so great I couldn't take the exits off the Parkway at speed  :o

MV 2013

Gecko

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2008, 07:39:19 AM »

There was an article on the Formula 1 site recently; if anyone will do anything to gain a tenth of a percent in performance it's an F1 team.  Bridgestone, the tire supplier, said that moisture is the largest factor in pressure change with temperature.  Dry air is fine, dry nitrogen is a little better.  Unless you have an actual leak, molecular diffusion is why they lose pressure.  Water being a relatively large molecule it stays inside.  Those in the pipeline or welding fields will tell you that to find a small leak - use helium - very small molecule.
2007 SERK3, SERT, V&H Dresser Duals, Monster Ovals, IDS, HID, knocking sound, valve noise.

If you think it's the journey not the destination you don't live in Nebraska.

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2008, 07:40:50 AM »

Capitol idea Mr. !!  I'm in for a franchise!

AXIL

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2008, 08:22:09 AM »

had the nitrogen salesman come by yesterday and we said no. for aircraft or racing vehicles i can see it but we have enough trouble keeping people from putting fixaflat and balancing fluid in there tires.  i know,i know its a gas and there is nothing wrong with it but i just don't see the need. just my two cents.  oh and helium filled bra bladers? you guys are killing me.  i got tears rolling down my face, ha ha ha .
I CAME INTO THIS WORLD WITH NOTHING AND I GOT MOST OF IT LEFT  
AHH,MOONSHINE THE OTHER WHITE MEAT

nidan

• 1K CVO Member
  • Keep the breeze between your knees

• CVO1: 02 FWDWG3 Stage IV 95 -sold
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2008, 08:27:13 AM »

they just had a piece on the news this week , here in the Atlanta area it runs about $40 to fill up your car tires with nitrogen .. they are saying it's better for fuel economy as the tire pressure remains more consistent... of course if you check your tires regularly .... you can save the $40 and use the free air
CVO -'02 FWDWG3 Stage IV 95 -sold
'07 FLHX Stage II 103 95hp/111lbs ft
'09 FJR 1300- 145hp /99 lbs ft
2011 Mustang GT 412hp/390 lbs ft

NukeIT

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2008, 09:39:35 AM »

$40 bucks for something that I don't need... wow.... thats steep..... It is true that nitrogen is one of the inert gases therefore its response to temp. change in nominal, but this being said our tyres are designed to be cold filled with "air" and then ran to operating pressure.... this would allow for the expansion due to heat... and for the most part we are all operating within the normal operating parameters of said tyres, so there is no need to get alittle more from the tyre....

If I am going to spend $40 bucks on gas it is going to be the kind that goes in the tank not the tyres.....

nuke

"It's not a bike, It's a lifestyle!"

DESERTBEAR54

• DESERTBEAR
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2008, 09:45:18 AM »

Nuke,
         You took the words right out of my mouth!!

16HD117

• When I was fifteen I wanted to be older. This is not what I expected!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • AKA 04hd103,AKA 07hd110,AKA 11hd110,AKA 16hd110
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2008, 09:47:44 AM »

Don,
Do U really want to get involed in a business where you're only dealing with women who's ur'uh, well you know. are pointing at their toes??
 :nervous: :( :nervous:

Life's journey is not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out shouting Holy Chit......... What a Ride!

DESERTBEAR54

• DESERTBEAR
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2008, 09:52:54 AM »

I think that kind of business would be more important than worrying about nitrogen in bike tires. :P

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2008, 12:52:56 PM »

Don,
Do U really want to get involed in a business where you're only dealing with women who's ur'uh, well you know. are pointing at their toes??
 :nervous: :( :nervous:

(prior warning, uh oh)

You just reminded that the new venture would still need its advertising written.  My apologies to Dr. King.  But something like this :nixweiss: :

I speak with you today in what will go down in history as the greatest demonstration for freedom in the history of our nation.  We come together to speak of uplifting freedom for everyone.

Seven score years ago, a great American, in whose symbolic shadow we stand today, signed the Emancipation Proclamation. This momentous decree freed men and helped forge a great nation.  But the boobies were not free.  Now we have a a great beacon of hope to millions of tiny or sagging boobies that have withered in this injustice. It came as a joyous daybreak to end the long night of their captivity.

Now one hundred and forty years later, the boobies shall be free.  Helium my sisters, helium shall set you free.  Rise up to no longer by crippled by the manacles of gravity and the chains of post lactation deflation.  Helium Inserts hallelujah.  No longer be segregated on that great island of perky.  Enjoy the mammary prosperity that Helium can bring to you.  I have a dream of proud breasts everywhere; standing tall, floating toward Freedom.

Announcer cut in:  Please dial BR-549 to inquire about your very own Freedom Helium Bra inserts today.  Products available for all sizes and conditions.  Installation available (often for free).

(my real apologies to Dr. King)

(I really am going to hell someday)
« Last Edit: May 20, 2008, 03:24:22 PM by Twolanerider »

miker

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2008, 01:00:38 PM »

At least you'll have your fiends er friends there. I'll be in the back swilling...

16HD117

• When I was fifteen I wanted to be older. This is not what I expected!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • AKA 04hd103,AKA 07hd110,AKA 11hd110,AKA 16hd110
« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2008, 02:37:17 PM »

(prior warning, uh oh)

You just reminded that the new venture would still need its advertising written.  My apologies to Dr. King.  But something like this :nixweiss: :

I speak with you today in what will go down in history as the greatest demonstration for freedom in the history of our nation.  We come together to speak of uplifting freedom for everyone.

Seven score years ago, a great American, in whose symbolic shadow we stand today, signed the Emancipation Proclamation. This momentous decree freed men and helped forge a great nation.  But the boobies were not free.  Now we have a a great beacon of hope to millions of tiny or sagging boobies that have withered in this injustice. It came as a joyous daybreak to end the long night of their captivity.

Now one hundred and fourty years later, the boobies shall be free.  Helium my sisters, helium shall set you free.  Rise up to no longer by crippled by the manacles of gravity and the chains of post lactation deflation.  Helium Inserts hallelujah.  No longer be segregated on that great island of perky.  Enjoy the mammary prosperty that Helium can bring to you.  I have a dream of proud breasts everywhere; standing tall, floating toward Freedom.

Announcer cut in:  Please dial BR-549 to inquire about your very own Freedom Helim Bra inserts today.  Products available for all sizes and conditions.  Installation available (often for free).

(my real apologies to Dr. King)

Don, you do know that your mind operates on an entirely different level than everyone else's don't you??

I remember when people had to eat a sugar cube to come up with stuff like that!
 :vrolijk_12:

Life's journey is not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out shouting Holy Chit......... What a Ride!

harleydawg57

• Full CVO Member
  • "Raring to go-- but can't go for raring!!"

• CVO1: 2004 SEEG orange/black
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2008, 02:57:48 PM »

Just shows to go ya--"If it has tits or tires it will cause you grief someday"
2004 SEEG Orange/Black
HD six speed-True Duals with Samson slip ons- S & S gear drive cams with oiling fuel pump-power commander-Kuyakyn rear adjustable rider pegs-HD tuner-Hawg-Wired amp and speakers w/Sony Tuner xm sat radio-Boogey Lights

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2008, 05:19:04 PM »

Don, you do know that your mind operates on an entirely different level than everyone else's don't you??

I remember when people had to eat a sugar cube to come up with stuff like that!
 :vrolijk_12:

oh damn, made me laugh until my eyes leaked  :2vrolijk_21:

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2008, 05:32:10 PM »

oh damn, made me laugh until my eyes leaked  :2vrolijk_21:
Hmmm, this must have been what you were reading when I called you. ;D

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2008, 05:49:02 PM »

Hmmm, this must have been what you were reading when I called you. ;D

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

It was a 1-2 punch.  This one immediately followed by the same man's ruminations on Chip's center stand deployment issues.  I was down for the count sucking air for a minute :huepfenlol2: !

screem

• Senior CVO Member
  • Ride Sober
« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2008, 06:10:18 PM »

There was an article on the Formula 1 site recently; if anyone will do anything to gain a tenth of a percent in performance it's an F1 team.  Bridgestone, the tire supplier, said that moisture is the largest factor in pressure change with temperature.  Dry air is fine, dry nitrogen is a little better.  Unless you have an actual leak, molecular diffusion is why they lose pressure.  Water being a relatively large molecule it stays inside.  Those in the pipeline or welding fields will tell you that to find a small leak - use helium - very small molecule.
having been in the Pipeline and welding field for over 35 years, I have never heard of anyone testing with heliun to find a pin hole leak, We teet at 1.5 times the operating presure, for 500lb lines we test at 750lbs...with nitrogen...always have...the standard in the industry
2000 FLTRSEI
1995 Fatboy... Apes, Foot Clutch,Jockey Shift 6Gal Tanks/Flames
 RIDE SOBER

AXIL

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2008, 09:11:18 PM »

don stop it, i still have tears running down my face.  we have got to get to gather and tip a couple .
I CAME INTO THIS WORLD WITH NOTHING AND I GOT MOST OF IT LEFT  
AHH,MOONSHINE THE OTHER WHITE MEAT

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #31 on: May 15, 2008, 09:23:22 PM »

don stop it, i still have tears running down my face.  we have got to get to gather and tip a couple .

Amen to that.  Where tipping beers is concerned I definitely have a dream :drink: !

EAGLE1

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE CVO Street Glide "Silvia"
    • CVO2: 2006 FLSTFSE² Screamin’ Eagle® Fat Boy® (SOLD)
« Reply #32 on: May 15, 2008, 09:31:19 PM »

I'm adding a nitro tank and tapper to the Beer Frig for those English ales I so dearly enjoy, now I'll have a second use for this great gas  :)  :drink: :drink: :drink:
Toes in the water, ass in the sand

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #33 on: May 16, 2008, 08:26:49 AM »

I'm adding a nitro tank and tapper to the Beer Frig for those English ales I so dearly enjoy

You don't drink them room temp?

MV 2013

EAGLE1

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

« Reply #34 on: May 16, 2008, 09:47:05 AM »

No, technically thats only a requirement if they are cask conditioned and served from a hand pump  ;)

NukeIT

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #35 on: May 16, 2008, 10:04:50 AM »

what those brits call room temp is alot colder than what we would consider room temp
"It's not a bike, It's a lifestyle!"

07 CVO

• Elite CVO Member
  • SCREAMIN EAGLE!! Top of the Food chain!

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2
« Reply #36 on: May 16, 2008, 10:06:12 AM »

what those brits call room temp is alot colder than what we would consider room temp

Their room temp is between 50-60 degrees
2007 FLHTCUSE2 Black and Orange
SE A/C, SERT, Samson Caliber True Duels
2006 Honda CBR 1000RR (SOLD)
2008 VW R32 #3719/5000 United Grey
2008 VW GTI

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #37 on: May 16, 2008, 11:08:57 AM »

Don't recall the exact temp, but 2 weeks of local pubs and you acquire quite the taste  :2vrolijk_21:

MV 2013

DESERTBEAR54

• DESERTBEAR
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #38 on: May 16, 2008, 11:43:07 AM »

And a few less brain cells!!

miker

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #39 on: May 16, 2008, 01:26:26 PM »

And a few less brain cells!!

But like Cliff Clavin said...drinking kills the weak brains cell, leaving only the stronger ones behind, so it is good for your brain....
J
ust like in nature, the loins eat the weak animals out of the pack 1st and the pack becomes stronger.   :P

EAGLE1

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

« Reply #40 on: May 16, 2008, 01:43:11 PM »

But like Cliff Clavin said...drinking kills the weak brains cell, leaving only the stronger ones behind, so it is good for your brain....
J
ust like in nature, the loins eat the weak animals out of the pack 1st and the pack becomes stronger.   :P

yup, thats why you always feel smarter after a few beers  :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink:
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]

Page created in 0.253 seconds with 21 queries.