Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: New trailer setup  (Read 18743 times)

My Bagg

• Ferguson, Harley Ferguson
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: Red FLHTCUSE5
New trailer setup
« on: February 15, 2010, 08:59:59 PM »

Hello All.  Did a search on this but no luck.  Just bought a new enclosed trailer 7x14 dual axel 7000 gvw.  Was told that two Ultras would go in side by side but after some measurements looks like they will need to be staggered.
Anyone with some good advice about proper placement .  Have looked at the Condor 1500 wheel chock by Kuryakyn  anybody used them or recommend something better?   And my last question  when hauling a single bike only will it need to go in the middle or on a trailer this size will it matter if one bike is on one side either side?  Hope this was the right place to post sense hauling two FLHTSEUC5’s.   Thanks in advance  :)

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
Re: New trailer setup
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2010, 11:01:51 PM »

Hello All.  Did a search on this but no luck.  Just bought a new enclosed trailer 7x14 dual axel 7000 gvw.  Was told that two Ultras would go in side by side but after some measurements looks like they will need to be staggered.
Anyone with some good advice about proper placement .  Have looked at the Condor 1500 wheel chock by Kuryakyn  anybody used them or recommend something better?   And my last question  when hauling a single bike only will it need to go in the middle or on a trailer this size will it matter if one bike is on one side either side?  Hope this was the right place to post sense hauling two FLHTSEUC5’s.   Thanks in advance  :)

7' wide and 2 ultras will have to be staggered.
No doubt you have a side door, so whatever the off door side is put the forward chock on that side, e.g. right side door, left side bike goes forward.

For the most secure chock placement you will want to bolt at least part of the chock to a frame cross member.

I use "Bike Pro Motorcycle Chocks". These have a separate mounting plates that you leave bolted to the floor.

I use two chocks and three plates, two staggered and one in the center.

With two axle trailers it is not necessary to load just one bike in the center. You probably would not notice the trailer is loaded off-sides. Trailer balance front to rear and proper tongue weight I would say is more of a concern.

Here are some links I just brought up doing a search.

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=1925.0

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=45746.msg689653#msg689653

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=38543.0;all

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=21768.0;all

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=34905.0;all

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=9758.0;all

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=7192.0;all

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=18190.0;all

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=24706.0

:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

bknerr

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2010, 08:58:12 AM »

i agree compleatly. i`m getting old and have trailered to sturges, laconia,etc. bike pro seems the best deal , around 150. in black. works great.
1963 flh
1974 fxe

2003 flhrc
2008 flhtcuse3

My Bagg

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2010, 07:17:09 PM »

THANKS!! I thought Bike Pro might be to light. I liked the link about the layout on floor, then transfer to the trailer
Sounds simple enough to work!!!
« Last Edit: February 17, 2010, 07:21:53 PM by Stingray »

2harleys

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE5 Burnt Amber/Hot Citrus
    • CVO2: FLSTFSE2 Wife's bike
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2010, 07:20:27 PM »

You will definitely have to stagger in that trailer. I have the same size trailer and it is a tight fit for sure, I have less than two inches clearance with two dressers. If you want the best tie down system for your expensive bikes, go STRAPLESS. Strapping those big bikes down is not the best way to trailer.  The system designed by Roberts Products is a very quick and extremely secure way to hold your bikes in your trailer. I do not trailer much, because I prefer to ride. Sometimes (winter) you can not get around trailering. When my bikes are in my trailer they do not move AT ALL !!  If I flipped the trailer over, the bikes would still be mounted to the floor. This system is not cheap, but aren't your bikes worth the extra money and peace of mind, knowing when you get to where you are going, your bikes made the ride without a scratch? A good friend of mine put these in his trailer just a little to late. When he opened his trailer in Daytona after hauling from Colorado, he found one bike laying on the other due to a strap that had let go.  I also use a wheel chock, just to keep the front wheel straight, but they are not required. If hauling single you can put bike on either side or you can remount the plate to the center, as the mounting system is held to trailer with only two large bolts. Also system can be removed from trailer if you need to in about 5 minutes.   www.bikersgostrapless.com
« Last Edit: February 17, 2010, 07:28:39 PM by 2harleys »

My Bagg

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2010, 07:29:15 PM »

You will definitely have to stagger in that trailer. I have the same size trailer and it is a tight fit for sure, I have less than two inches clearance with two dressers. If you want the best tie down system for your expensive bikes, go STRAPLESS. Strapping those big bikes down is not the best way to trailer.  The system designed by Roberts Products is a very quick and extremely secure way to hold your bikes in your trailer. I do not trailer much, because I prefer to ride. Sometimes (winter) you can not get around trailering. When my bikes are in my trailer they do not move AT ALL !!  If I flipped the trailer over, the bikes would still be mounted to the floor. This system is not cheap, but aren't your bikes worth the extra money and peace of mind, knowing when you get to where you are going, your bikes made the ride without a scratch? A good friend of mine put these in his trailer just a little to late. When he opened his trailer in Daytona after hauling from Colorado, he found one bike laying on the other due to a strap that had let go.  I also use a wheel chock, just to keep the front wheel straight, but they are not required.   www.bikersgostrapless.com

Thanks went to site.  Have you seen system work? Not a lot to spend if it works.  Could not tell from the info on the page if something mounts on the motorcycle tough?
I see now the bar mounts to the frame before loading.  Cant forget that it on there! Is a height change forgiving or are the grove slots for the bar allow it to guide right in?
« Last Edit: February 17, 2010, 07:36:26 PM by Stingray »

2harleys

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2010, 07:55:20 PM »

Yes I have seen it work (many times) -- I have two of them in my trailer ( been there for about 4 years).  I just installed two of them in my buddies trailer that lost a paint job, one rear fender, turn signals and many chrome pieces on his Screamineagle going to Daytona last year. I have hauled my bikes thousands of miles with them. My buddy just hauled two of his bikes to Minnesota and back with these in his trailer. I will GUARANTEE you that neither he or I would ever put our bikes in a trailer with out them again. NOTHING stays on your bike. There is a screw clamp that attaches to the bottom of your bike frame when outside of the trailer. You then drive into the trailer and the floor mounted assembly automatically clamps onto the bar. The only thing you have to do maually is shut off the ignition and get off of the bike, and close the door. To get bike off of the mount when unloading, you sit on the bike, push a lever with your foot to release the bar and back out of the trailer. When out of the trailer, you unscrew mounting bar from your bike and you are ready to ride. Takes less than 30 seconds to load or unload  --- AND NO FREAKIN STRAPS TO SCREW WITH!!!  IT IS NOT GOOD ON YOUR SUSPENSION TO HAVE IT STRAPPED DOWN FOR AN EXTENDED AMOUNT OF TIME, with this system the suspension is in its normal position. There is even a place on the assembly to put a padlock if security is a factor for you.  It is virtually impossible for this system to fail. The system is stronger than the floor of your trailer.  Life does not get any better than that.

Grizzly

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: '05 Jalapeno 1 of 692 sold
    • CVO2: '08 Duracell #601 of 1,800
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2010, 09:00:33 PM »

I had many different chocks over the years including Condor and IMHO nothing works a good as the Wheel Dock.

Check it out   http://wheeldock.com/

and I'm sure you'll never regret buying one.

I have an 8' wide trailer and still have to stagger two Ultras, so no doubt you will.  Mine is only a 12' long trailer so you'll have much more room to stagger them which will make securing them easier.

Having said that, with my Wheel Dock chocks, it's a breeze to load and unload the trailer on my own.
ALL 10 Provinces & ALL Lower 48 States ridden on "MY" bike

NW Territories and Alaska, here I come!

My Bagg

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2010, 09:06:43 PM »

Yes I have seen it work (many times) -- I have two of them in my trailer ( been there for about 4 years).  I just installed two of them in my buddies trailer that lost a paint job, one rear fender, turn signals and many chrome pieces on his Screamineagle going to Daytona last year. I have hauled my bikes thousands of miles with them. My buddy just hauled two of his bikes to Minnesota and back with these in his trailer. I will GUARANTEE you that neither he or I would ever put our bikes in a trailer with out them again. NOTHING stays on your bike. There is a screw clamp that attaches to the bottom of your bike frame when outside of the trailer. You then drive into the trailer and the floor mounted assembly automatically clamps onto the bar. The only thing you have to do maually is shut off the ignition and get off of the bike, and close the door. To get bike off of the mount when unloading, you sit on the bike, push a lever with your foot to release the bar and back out of the trailer. When out of the trailer, you unscrew mounting bar from your bike and you are ready to ride. Takes less than 30 seconds to load or unload  --- AND NO FREAKIN STRAPS TO SCREW WITH!!!  IT IS NOT GOOD ON YOUR SUSPENSION TO HAVE IT STRAPPED DOWN FOR AN EXTENDED AMOUNT OF TIME, with this system the suspension is in its normal position. There is even a place on the assembly to put a padlock if security is a factor for you.  It is virtually impossible for this system to fail. The system is stronger than the floor of your trailer.  Life does not get any better than that.

2harleys,
Just got of the phone with them. And will give "one" a try or do you think I should just go on and order two at the same time?  Fully under stand the system after talking with them but the only thing that concerns me is alignment when loading that both latches contact the bar at the same time, it that a concern? Says loosen and kick bar and re-tighten after latched if they don't.     And no straps that's "Priceless"
And thanks for the help!
« Last Edit: February 17, 2010, 09:09:08 PM by Stingray »

Puzzled

• Vendor
  • 5k CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2018 FLTRXSE Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO2: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO3: 2001 FLTRSEI2 Road Glide (SOLD)
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2010, 10:18:34 PM »

7' wide and 2 ultras will have to be staggered.
No doubt you have a side door, so whatever the off door side is put the forward chock on that side, e.g. right side door, left side bike goes forward.

For the most secure chock placement you will want to bolt at least part of the chock to a frame cross member.

I use "Bike Pro Motorcycle Chocks". These have a separate mounting plates that you leave bolted to the floor.

I use two chocks and three plates, two staggered and one in the center.

With two axle trailers it is not necessary to load just one bike in the center. You probably would not notice the trailer is loaded off-sides. Trailer balance front to rear and proper tongue weight I would say is more of a concern.

(Snip)

I agree.

2023 CVO Road Glide
2003 Rigid Springer Chopper "Puzzle" Bike 26"

Grizzly

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: '05 Jalapeno 1 of 692 sold
    • CVO2: '08 Duracell #601 of 1,800
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2010, 11:04:23 PM »

Just finished reviewing all comments here and visiting the Bikers Go Strapless site...

It looks like I stand corrected.  This system looks amazing!

Even though the Wheel Dock system is the best on the market that I've found, why wouldn't I want to go strapless and free myself of the hassle of tripping on them all over the trailer with two bikes in there?

The Bikers Go Strapless is close to double the cost of a Wheel Dock, but I'm still going to check them out further to secure my bikes better without using straps!  Sounds great if it will work with our bikes.

Can anyone tell me how this system works if your bike is lowered?  Is there an adjustment in height where the clamping bar locks into place?

Both our Ultras have the H-D front and rear lowering kit on them and I want to ensure the BGS system will still work.

Thanks for your assistance.
ALL 10 Provinces & ALL Lower 48 States ridden on "MY" bike

NW Territories and Alaska, here I come!

2harleys

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2010, 11:34:38 PM »

2harleys,
Just got of the phone with them. And will give "one" a try or do you think I should just go on and order two at the same time?  Fully under stand the system after talking with them but the only thing that concerns me is alignment when loading that both latches contact the bar at the same time, it that a concern? Says loosen and kick bar and re-tighten after latched if they don't.     And no straps that's "Priceless"
And thanks for the help!

I am in NO WAY connected with this company. I just know a superior product when I see one, ---and this is a superior product. Go ahead and get two  --  you will definately be happy that you did. As far as not contacting both sides of the latch at the same time  -- that rarely happens. Do not even give it another thought. But if it does it is no big deal. The bike will stay upright with only one side latched if that happens. Just reach down and loosen the bar clamp and kick it into place with your foot and retighten clamp. It won't take you more than 20 seconds to do. If you drive into the trailer straight, that problem will never occur. I put a small dab of paint under the frame where the bar fits on the bike perfectly. It saves time and will eliminate not having the bar on your bike positioned properly.

2harleys

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2010, 11:42:03 PM »

Just finished reviewing all comments here and visiting the Bikers Go Strapless site...

It looks like I stand corrected.  This system looks amazing!

Even though the Wheel Dock system is the best on the market that I've found, why wouldn't I want to go strapless and free myself of the hassle of tripping on them all over the trailer with two bikes in there?

The Bikers Go Strapless is close to double the cost of a Wheel Dock, but I'm still going to check them out further to secure my bikes better without using straps!  Sounds great if it will work with our bikes.

Can anyone tell me how this system works if your bike is lowered?  Is there an adjustment in height where the clamping bar locks into place?

Both our Ultras have the H-D front and rear lowering kit on them and I want to ensure the BGS system will still work.

Thanks for your assistance. 
The Wheel Dock does not secure the bike. That is where the BGS comes into play. Yes it has adjustments for lowered bikes, and for different style bikes. If you still do not have enough adjustments, you could put a piece of plywood under the wheels to raise the bike. I do think the adjustments on the mount will do whatever you need though. Call Robert from BGS and talk to him. I know he can help you.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2010, 11:50:47 PM »

Would it really take that much less time to repetitively mount and dismount the BGS bracket to the bike then it would to pull a few straps taught?  Using a good loading front chock straps don't have to be hard on the bike suspension.

Puzzled

• Vendor
  • 5k CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2018 FLTRXSE Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO2: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO3: 2001 FLTRSEI2 Road Glide (SOLD)
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2010, 12:00:11 AM »

I still use simple wheel chocks and lots of straps.

I eventually ended up with 198' of E-track installed!

2023 CVO Road Glide
2003 Rigid Springer Chopper "Puzzle" Bike 26"
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.217 seconds with 21 queries.