Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]

Author Topic: Butt Buffer??  (Read 10263 times)

Laker

• Elite CVO Member
Butt Buffer??
« on: January 07, 2005, 10:32:54 AM »

I have been looking for a solution to keep my stock seat on my SEEG2 but relieve my butt a little on those longer trips. I came across this website and was wondering if anyone has done something similar (or maybe with Butt Buffer). Any comments/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.  [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

http://www.buttbuffer.com/

PCC

• Full CVO Member
Re: Butt Buffer??
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2005, 12:17:29 PM »

the O`Fender

• Elite CVO Member
  • On the Dragon
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2005, 12:17:33 PM »

If you think the seat is really that bad you can get gel put in it!!!
2020 Scorched Orange Limited

Laker

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2005, 12:38:01 PM »

If you think the seat is really that bad you can get gel put in it!!!

Thanks. I guess I should have been a little more specific. I was looking at having Butt Buffers install it in my stock seat. I have never liked those that sit on top. Has anyone had a pad installed directly in the seat and if so, was it worth it. Here is an article showing their process. The second and third page show it well. Thanks.

http://www.buttbuffer.com/roadblock.asp

« Last Edit: January 07, 2005, 12:40:46 PM by Laker23 »

PCC

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2005, 01:28:59 PM »

Pro Pad will do that for you. They are at all the rally's.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2005, 03:58:48 PM »

Thanks. I guess I should have been a little more specific. I was looking at having Butt Buffers install it in my stock seat. I have never liked those that sit on top. Has anyone had a pad installed directly in the seat and if so, was it worth it. Here is an article showing their process. The second and third page show it well. Thanks.

Need to keep in mind that the problem may (or may not) be just the need for a little extra or different kind of padding.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2005, 04:01:46 PM by twolanerider »

Laker

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2005, 04:38:30 PM »

Dually noted 2lane. I don't think my issues are anything other than the padding on the seat. Installing a pad in the seat seems to be a viable option that covers me wanting to keep the stock seat because I like the look and being comfortable while riding on the thing. I appreciate the input but really hoped I would find someone that already had it done and could provide first person opinion on it.  [smiley=beerchug.gif]

MoChrome

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2005, 05:15:46 PM »

There's a couple different motorcycle shows in Atlanta this month and there's usually vendors there that install the gel pads. $100 or so is much less expensive that an aftermarket seat and might be worth a try.  While I have no personal experience with gel pads I do hear they get quite hot during the summer and cold in the winter. There are some vendors that also install heaters for that reason.

If you lean toward buying a Corbin seat you

Laker

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2005, 05:41:39 PM »

There's a couple different motorcycle shows in Atlanta this month and there's usually vendors there that install the gel pads. $100 or so is much less expensive that an aftermarket seat and might be worth a try.

mr_magoo

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG Orange & Black All Attitude
    • CVO2: 08 CUSE Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver the Cruiser
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2005, 08:36:40 AM »

I had gel pad install front and rear on the seat that we had made a Rich's in Seattle and it is wonderful.  We are able to ride upwards of 1000 miles a day if we have to and are very comfortable doing so.  Part of my problem (other than the wife not wanting to set on a postage stamp) was the seams in the cover.
2008FLHTCUSE3 Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver
Freedom Gear drive cams, Elite D Exhaust.

2004 SEEG Pumpkin
freedom exhaust
power commander
W/ American legend trailer<br

DavidB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2005, 09:19:03 AM »

I just installed a new Mustang Touring seat on mine along with there backrest. I have thousands of miles on my old one on the roadking . Ther firm and take a while to breakin but they dont shut off the circulation to the legs.

FREBRD

• LET THE EAGLE FLY
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2005, 09:19:22 AM »

I bought one of the butt buffer pads in laughlin for my wife. she loved it
MINE 2000 FLTRSEI, STAGE 2, XM SAT, HOOKER PIPES, UPGRADED STEREO                                                               HERS, 1994 1200 SPORTSTER, FAT BOB STRETCHED TANK, VANCE AND HINES, S&S, 10 INCH APES, CUSTOM PAINT, NOTHING BUT CHROME.

MoChrome

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2005, 09:21:35 AM »

I just installed a new Mustang Touring seat on mine along with there backrest.

Can you post some pics?  I'd really like to see a pic where the seat and dash meet.

DavidB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2005, 10:28:21 AM »

Can you post some pics?

starvin

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2005, 04:12:04 PM »

http://flhrsei.org/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=eg_gen;action=display;num=1070859216;start=15
there are a few pictures of the mustang seat on this thread. I filed the mounting hole about a half inch longer on mine, you can't see it and moving the seat back half inch made it fit perfect around the tank,

DavidB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2005, 07:22:55 PM »

mustang seat

DavidB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2005, 07:24:04 PM »

mustang seat 2

DavidB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2005, 07:27:20 PM »

Seat fitment 3

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2005, 09:31:40 AM »

I`ll try and get hold of a digital cam today and get that done. Im digitaly and compurter retarded but will find someone to help.

David, you done good.  That Mustang seat looks pretty nice on there.  What's your passenger think?

DavidB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2005, 09:55:16 AM »

David, you done good.

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2005, 10:01:36 AM »

Hey, I know this is off-topic, but it looks like you put the standard footboards on your bike.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2005, 10:01:15 AM by 103tHunDer »

DavidB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2005, 10:32:48 AM »

Hey, I know this is off-topic, but it looks like you put the standard footboards on your bike.

Screamin

• 5k CVO Member
  • Number 641

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2 Cherry
    • CVO2: 2019 Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2005, 11:52:46 AM »

I just installed a new Mustang Touring seat on mine along with there backrest. I have thousands of miles on my old one on the roadking . Ther firm and take a while to breakin but they dont shut off the circulation to the legs.

Thanx for the pics D. What model # is the seat, etc.? Thanx.

Laker

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2005, 06:58:45 PM »

Seat fitment 3

That seat looks good DavidB and might be the way I end up going. How is the rider position on the bike compared to the stock seat though? Does the seat move you up/down, back/forward? Any input is greatly appreciated.

Also, thanks to all that have lent their opinions on this subject. I don't want to have to spend a bunch of money before finally finding the option that suits me and this is doing exactly that.  [smiley=beerchug.gif]

DavidB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2005, 07:53:48 PM »

That seat looks good DavidB and might be the way I end up going. How is the rider position on the bike compared to the stock seat though? Does the seat move you up/down, back/forward? Any input is greatly appreciated.

Also, thanks to all that have lent their opinions on this subject. I don't want to have to spend a bunch of money before finally finding the option that suits me and this is doing exactly that.

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2005, 09:15:21 PM »

The closest seat Harley makes is the Comfort seat from what I have seen.

Laker, here's a link to an old thread with photos of the H-D Road King Comfort Stitch seat on my SEEG: http://flhrsei.org/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=cv_pics;action=display;num=1079237782;start=15  Comparing to David's photos, it sorta looks like the position is pretty similar.  The back of the pocket is about even with the front of the saddlebag.

Myself, I'm not all that happy with the comfort stitch seat which is why I was quizzin' David a little.  It's OK, I guess, but can be a little firmer and could sit a little farther back for my tastes.

DavidB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2005, 09:15:52 PM »

Thanx for the pics D. What model # is the seat, etc.? Thanx.

Its a Mustang one piece touring seat for a RoadKing.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2005, 01:43:27 AM »

I'm not all that happy with the comfort stitch seat which is why I was quizzin' David a little.

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2005, 06:49:20 AM »

2lane, thanks for the offer and I may just take you up on it.  I don't doubt the Corbin's are nice for the rider, but I'm at least as concerned about momma as me, maybe more (happy wife, happy life).  The comfort stitch has been a decent compromise so far.  I guess I'm looking for something that would be better for me but still maintain the same comfort for the passenger.

As for 60 degree Saturdays, they're calling for a high of 14 here this coming one, lol!  Would love to meet up with you somewhere, sometime, though, whether for the seat or for  [smiley=drink.gif] [smiley=gossip.gif].

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2005, 10:52:54 AM »

Sounds good 103.  If momma wants to try out the seat too she's welcomed to go for a spin with you.  Though the beverage alternative meeting (BAM) is always a good idea.  [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

Sir_Nuke

• I ride it like I stole it!!
« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2005, 11:36:36 PM »

I went a little different route.....I purchaced a full tanned sheepskin and made my own cover for my seat....I have had a sheep skin on every scooter I have riden for the last 15 years....they give you that extra padding.....they keep your a$$ warm in the winter, Cool in the summer and it even sheds water....Sure I have taken a little ribbing when I first put it on.....but I have had the last laugh for a lot of years... [smiley=laugh.gif]
'03' SERK, SE slip-ons, Stage 1 air cleaner, King Tour Pak, and an honest to goodness HD Quick Detachable Batwing Fairing.

ccr

• SEEG Cult Senior Member
  • 5k CVO Member
« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2005, 08:31:53 AM »

I went a little different route.....I purchaced a full tanned sheepskin and made my own cover for my seat....a sheep skin gives you that extra padding.....they keep your a$$ warm in the winter, Cool in the summer and it even sheds water..

Sir_Nuke,  Do you have pictures of this sheep skin cover that gives padding, keeps you warm and cool and shed's water?  How did you make it a cover for your seat, like how did you stretch it and how did you attach it underneath?  Thanks  [smiley=laugh.gif]

Mr. We

• SEEG Meister
  • Elite CVO Member
  • DOM # 003

• CVO1: 04 B/B SEEG
    • CVO2: 05 Two-Tone Candy Cherry
    • CVO3: 04 FORD 4x4 Super Duty Turbo Diesel HD "Corporate Colors"
« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2005, 02:15:52 PM »

I guess it sits me back a little more than a stock dresser seat. Compaired to a SEEEG seat its about the same position for me but is more comfortable. There is just more of it.

Laker, As a card carrying member of the BTDT Club, I gotta chime in, late butt still...  [smiley=cool3.gif]
I had a 98 Road King and we'd go out for a good ride and by the end my tailbone was shot. I tried adjusting myself forward and back with no real impact.  I finally broke down and got the gel pad put into my seat and that added 75 - 100 miles to my day. Better, but not enough (lotta buts in this thread.) [smiley=shocked2.gif]
So I broke free of some more cash and got the Mustang seat and that was definitely the answer! [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif] [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif] [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]
Now I do have to say three things. First, mine pushed me farther forward, and that was not what I (6') was looking for - damn sure made me a highway peg king! Second, as sure as I am that the seat was a major improvement, that backrest was made of solid gold!!![smiley=drink.gif] And "C" I have now taken that Mustang seat and put it onto my B&B and have lessened the lower back pain and moved up onto the tank.
So I guess if DavidB did not notice seat positioning like mine I would recommend, if at all possible, try it before you buy it. There are lots of good seats but if you can go to a show and try a few out you'll be able to ensure the best fit and finish and be much happier than the quick jello fix.  [smiley=brood.gif]

P.S. Per Mrs. We's testimony, I intend on going to Corbin in Daytona to follow that same advice. After reading the return policies posted on this site, I wanna hand it back to them rather than use the mail system. Butt hey, I gotta seperate from the tank! [smiley=drink.gif]
2 SEEG's, No Waiting!

His 04 Black and Blue  :huepfenlol2:   Hers 05 Two Tone Candy Cherry  :cherry: Ours 04 F250 GR8 PNKN :pumpkin:

Sir_Nuke

• I ride it like I stole it!!
« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2005, 06:25:57 PM »

Sir_Nuke,
'03' SERK, SE slip-ons, Stage 1 air cleaner, King Tour Pak, and an honest to goodness HD Quick Detachable Batwing Fairing.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2005, 08:05:50 PM »

Nice "how to" Sir Nuke! [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Laker

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2005, 08:38:16 AM »

Mr. WE, I greatly appreciate the input. I am still undecided on what solution to use. I will heed your advice (and the advice of many others) and try out a few seats at events, dealerships, etc. I do not want to be moved further up or closer to the tank so the mustang is a concern. I used to have a Sundowner seat on a road king and could ride that seat all day so that might be the first option I look at. Thanks again. [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

DW6019

• Banned
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2005, 04:09:50 PM »

For what it is worth we rode 428 miles yesterday, from Tpa Bay to Jupiter then around Lake Ockochoobee (spelling) back across the state, thru some nasty detour to Fort Myers Bike nite then back home. I have a RK Custom Touring Seat and neither of us had a problem. Could have gone on, but we were home and it was almost midnite and had no where else to go. Seat looks O.K. and is comfortable and I still use the OE backrest.
MY 2/Cents.

mfgreen

« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2005, 07:14:50 PM »

For what it is worth we rode 428 miles yesterday, from Tpa Bay to Jupiter then around Lake Ockochoobee (spelling) back across the state, thru some nasty detour to Fort Myers Bike nite then back home. I have a RK Custom Touring Seat and neither of us had a problem. Could have gone on, but we were home and it was almost midnite and had no where else to go. Seat looks O.K. and is comfortable and I still use the OE backrest.
MY 2/Cents.

DW,

That's a really nice ride with a lot of Florida's beauty included in it.  Construction season in any state sucks.  The blue hairs/snow birds don't help either.  I don't recall whether or not you had the padding in that seat modified or not, but, it seems to work really well for you.  Got the original in storage?

Laker

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #38 on: January 24, 2005, 02:46:28 PM »

MY 2/Cents.

Would you happen to have a pic of it on the bike? Thanks.  [smiley=beerchug.gif]

MVelette

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #39 on: February 21, 2005, 11:18:39 AM »

I just went to a bike swap yesterday in Chester West Virginia and ran into a new Butt Buffer dealer.

He can do your seat if you can ship or bring it to him.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2005, 11:26:44 AM by MVelette »

h82lose

• Junior CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #40 on: April 03, 2005, 12:04:59 PM »

had propad install gel pad in front and a top mount pad on rear this weekend in lafayette at louisiana hog rally and after riding on it around locally and back home last night at 2 a m , my and my wifes only question was why didn't we do this sooner. probably the best $185.00 spent on this bike. and only took them 45 minutes to complete. also met 2lane at rally,must say good looking bike even if it is red. [smiley=1syellow1.gif] [smiley=drink.gif]
'08 orange springer, '05 teal seeg-10/23/04,  '79 flh classic,  '05 jag S type R- british racing GREEN

LeRoy

• Full CVO Member
  • God, Family, Country, Harley !
« Reply #41 on: April 03, 2005, 01:01:02 PM »

Eat more cheeseburgers and drink more beer = Improved butt buffer !

(pretty cheap too)

LeRoy. [smiley=drink.gif]
« Last Edit: April 03, 2005, 01:01:44 PM by hoverp »

Laker

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #42 on: April 03, 2005, 03:34:07 PM »

had propad install gel pad in front and a top mount pad on rear this weekend in lafayette at louisiana hog rally and after riding on it around locally and back home last night at 2 a m , my and my wifes only question was why didn't we do this sooner. probably the best $185.00 spent on this bike. and only took them 45 minutes to complete. also met 2lane at rally,must say good looking bike even if it is red. [smiley=1syellow1.gif] [smiley=drink.gif]

Out of curiosity, why didn't you install the pad in the rear instead of going with the top mount?

h82lose

• Junior CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #43 on: April 03, 2005, 05:22:17 PM »

the reason for putting pad on top of rear section instead of in seat was to give a wider seating area for passenger. pad  now is as wide as bottom of pan. [smiley=drink.gif] [smiley=drink.gif] [smiley=beerchug.gif]
'08 orange springer, '05 teal seeg-10/23/04,  '79 flh classic,  '05 jag S type R- british racing GREEN

Laker

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #44 on: April 03, 2005, 07:02:36 PM »

That sounds like a good reason to me. I am glad that it worked out for you. I still want to have the pad installed front and rear even though I now have the Mustang. Thanks for the input!! [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #45 on: April 04, 2005, 01:43:22 AM »

Glad to see the pad worked out as well as you'd hoped.  It was interesting watching the buy put them in.  Does she say the "external" pad on the back feels like it's going to stay in place or will there be a question of it wiggling when the passenger occasionally gets the squirms?

h82lose

• Junior CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #46 on: April 04, 2005, 09:22:14 AM »

2lane,no complaints so far. the pad is held on with 2 back straps and 1 front strap. 2lane how was ride home and when did you get in? we got in sat/sun at 2 am after ccr concert at cajun dome.see ya again. [smiley=beerchug.gif]

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #47 on: April 04, 2005, 12:07:24 PM »

2lane,no complaints so far. the pad is held on with 2 back straps and 1 front strap. 2lane how was ride home and when did you get in? we got in sat/sun at 2 am after ccr concert at cajun dome.see ya again. [smiley=beerchug.gif]

My ride home was great.  After the time change we didn't make a super early start.  Left the hotel at 8:30 and dropped Mary off at her place outside of Little Rock and then on home for me.  Pulled in to my drive at 8:30 in the evening and had clicked off just over 700 miles for the day.  It was a gorgeous day the whole trip too.  We were glad to have the heater in the seat for the first hour or so in the morning but nothing else was even close to a problem all day long.  Don't know when I've had a nicer day out on a bike.

Hey, by the way, tell you wife "thanks" for me.  She'd told Mary about a restaurant back over by the bike shop that we went and tried before coming back to CCR.  It was obscene how much food we got and how good it was !  I wasn't sure I was gonna get a leg back over the saddle.

Glad to hear that seat work is going to work out so well too.  Was really curious to hear how it would do.  Was kind of a short weekend'd outing for you but it at least it was productive  [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]  Anytime you can make two butts happy for less than two hundred bucks it's got to be a good day  [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

BAKRDS

• Senior CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #48 on: April 04, 2005, 05:38:02 PM »

I use a pro pad on my mustang seat for long trips. For me it adds about 2-3 hours before serious but bite sets in. I don't use it around town or 2-300 mile day rides but over that it sure helps. I haven't tried it on the SEEG seat because I like the solo seat look so well. Some of the wives in the club have tried it on the passenger seat & liked it so well I had trouble getting it back. Said it made it easier to stay on the  part of the seat they wanted to . No sliding foreward. To me it seems cooler in hot weather also, but if it was left out in the sun I'm sure it would retain a lot of heat.
'10 SESG
 '65 FLH
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]

Page created in 0.451 seconds with 21 queries.