Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: Little help on Cams and Pistons  (Read 5281 times)

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
Re: Little help on Cams and Pistons
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2009, 07:26:19 PM »

Howie,

I am right under 10:1 and the motor is incredibly quiet with no valve train noise at all.  The Axtell jugs and pistons cured the MOCO piston slap between 2800-3000 rpm. Also got a new tag while I was at it: FTFCVO. :2vrolijk_21:

HeHe!!! I guess it WASN'T Rocket Science, huh?!!! ::) ;D ;D ;D :2vrolijk_21: ;)

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

jfh

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2009, 07:00:15 PM »

HeHe!!! I guess it WASN'T Rocket Science, huh?!!! ::) ;D ;D ;D :2vrolijk_21: ;)

Hoist! 8)

No Rocket Science required, just some old fashion quality control!
Hammer - CVO Member #641

2009 FLTRSE3: Axtell jugs, JE forged flat top pistons, S&S 585 cams, SE 58mm TB, Dewey's Pro-Street porting, SE cam plate, Zipper's tapered pushrods, Cat-less, 2" Fullsac, TTS, Twin Jagg oil coolers, AK-20, 13" Works Black Trackers w/ARS, Clearview, Hawg Wired, Yaffe Monkey Bars, Danny Gray Big Seat

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2009, 07:03:38 PM »

No Rocket Science required, just some old fashion quality control!

Quality control along with better engineered cylinders and pistons...   :orange: :2vrolijk_21:
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Trapperdog

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO2: 2009 ST1300 Police
    • CVO3: 2006 ST1300
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2009, 08:13:21 PM »

I used the 251's, stock comp., SE 50mm TB, Freedom pipes and PC111 and pulled 106 hp and 112tq. at a reputable dyno shop here in Campbell Ca.. They showed me another guys '07 print out with the same TB and Cams, but different pipes and 10-1 comp that pulled 112 hp and 117 tq.. My scanner is down so I will post the dyno sheet later.
I did tell them that I didn't want any "happy dyno" #'s as Firedood calls them, I just wanted the bike to run cooler, and stronger.
So far I am happy with the 251's

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2009, 08:19:25 PM »

I used the 251's, stock comp., SE 50mm TB, Freedom pipes and PC111 and pulled 106 hp and 112tq. at a reputable dyno shop here in Campbell Ca.. They showed me another guys '07 print out with the same TB and Cams, but different pipes and 10-1 comp that pulled 112 hp and 117 tq.. My scanner is down so I will post the dyno sheet later.
I did tell them that I didn't want any "happy dyno" #'s as Firedood calls them, I just wanted the bike to run cooler, and stronger.
So far I am happy with the 251's
Just say "NO" to happy dyno's. :D :D

*This has been a public service announcement brought to you by DARE... Dyno Awareness Resistance Education. :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

vrog

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2009, 10:01:50 PM »

Thanks for the replies......... been reading WAY too much, now researching axtell jugs and pistons for 117" :drink:

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2009, 08:45:55 AM »

With careful planning you can retain good low speed manors and torque, lower temps, and still have the motor pulling at 5,500 where the stock TB signs off.
The dyno tune needs to be very comprehensive to end up with not only high maximum output but more importantly a good running bike that is happy (not pinging, cool running, and gets good mileage). WOT is just a snapshot of that mode and not where we spend most of our time. Even with closed loop the VEs need to be corrected on the individual cylinders in all operating ranges and loads, the CLB adjusted, the timing tweaked for the build. A motor with 40° overlap VS negative overlap camshaft will have a lot different needs in all aspects of operation.
The Axtell parts are a wise upgrade, headwork is smart as well just to get rid of the factory defects and ACR issues first then go after some airflow issues these heads have.
I feel bad for the owners of these bikes that have to go through all of that just to get a good running bike that doesn't ping itself to death and run hot plus is fun to ride, especially after spending a premium.

vrog

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2009, 09:05:25 AM »

With careful planning you can retain good low speed manors and torque, lower temps, and still have the motor pulling at 5,500 where the stock TB signs off.
The dyno tune needs to be very comprehensive to end up with not only high maximum output but more importantly a good running bike that is happy (not pinging, cool running, and gets good mileage). WOT is just a snapshot of that mode and not where we spend most of our time. Even with closed loop the VEs need to be corrected on the individual cylinders in all operating ranges and loads, the CLB adjusted, the timing tweaked for the build. A motor with 40° overlap VS negative overlap camshaft will have a lot different needs in all aspects of operation.
The Axtell parts are a wise upgrade, headwork is smart as well just to get rid of the factory defects and ACR issues first then go after some airflow issues these heads have.
I feel bad for the owners of these bikes that have to go through all of that just to get a good running bike that doesn't ping itself to death and run hot plus is fun to ride, especially after spending a premium.

Thanks for the information. In your professional opinion, do you think a 117" is too much for everyday driving and an occasional WOT blast here and there? Is 251cams and 10.5 high compression pistons the most easy way out and will still achieve a noticeable difference?

Black Diamond

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 11 FLHXSE2 "Vanessa"
    • CVO2: 08 FLHRSE4 "Lexi" "Bike from Hell"
    • CVO3: 02 FLHRSEI "Ruby"
« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2009, 09:14:54 AM »

Thanks for the information. In your professional opinion, do you think a 117" is too much for everyday driving and an occasional WOT blast here and there? Is 251cams and 10.5 high compression pistons the most easy way out and will still achieve a noticeable difference?

vrog

I ride my 117 SERK as my daily transport plus touring. Over 20000 miles on her as a 117 ci. The only issue I ever had was looking to get the most out of what I put on and in her. Mine is very well mannered, a great bagger. Lots of low end and good gas mileage.

However, if I was to do a do over, I would be just as happy with a reliable 110 with Axtell jugs on it, good pipes and A/C, T-man 590 cam and good heads. Less money spent too. FWIW. Good luck with your decision and don't let it make you crazy.

JW

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2009, 09:49:30 AM »

I have done the heads for several similar 117 motors. The owners are very happy with them as well.
Problem I see with all of them is as the HP and TQ level rises so does the stress on the bottom end.
The cases are no longer align bored as a pair so that leaves a bit of potential error on the table plus the known issue of cheapened up rods and wheels slipping. To get the whole assembly true and trussed up I would consult with Hoban, Darkhorse Crankworks for advice. If the lower end is fixed then the bigger motor becomes very viable. Next problem is assuring as the motor grows the oil cooling goes along with that. A good oil cooler in the wind can get that done.

Trapperdog

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO2: 2009 ST1300 Police
    • CVO3: 2006 ST1300
« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2009, 11:55:16 AM »

Just say "NO" to happy dyno's. :D :D

*This has been a public service announcement brought to you by DARE... Dyno Awareness Resistance Education. :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
You have way too much time on your hands  :) :) :)

jfh

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2009, 01:44:14 PM »

I have done the heads for several similar 117 motors. The owners are very happy with them as well.
Problem I see with all of them is as the HP and TQ level rises so does the stress on the bottom end.
The cases are no longer align bored as a pair so that leaves a bit of potential error on the table plus the known issue of cheapened up rods and wheels slipping. To get the whole assembly true and trussed up I would consult with Hoban, Darkhorse Crankworks for advice. If the lower end is fixed then the bigger motor becomes very viable. Next problem is assuring as the motor grows the oil cooling goes along with that. A good oil cooler in the wind can get that done.

Swapped my center mounted SE Premium Oil Cooler for a pair of JAGG's on the down tubes. It may not look as pretty as the factory setup, but it cools much better.
Hammer - CVO Member #641

2009 FLTRSE3: Axtell jugs, JE forged flat top pistons, S&S 585 cams, SE 58mm TB, Dewey's Pro-Street porting, SE cam plate, Zipper's tapered pushrods, Cat-less, 2" Fullsac, TTS, Twin Jagg oil coolers, AK-20, 13" Works Black Trackers w/ARS, Clearview, Hawg Wired, Yaffe Monkey Bars, Danny Gray Big Seat

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2009, 02:00:30 PM »

:2thumbsup: :2thumbsup:

vrog

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2009, 03:51:52 PM »

Thanks for the replies

Black Diamond

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 11 FLHXSE2 "Vanessa"
    • CVO2: 08 FLHRSE4 "Lexi" "Bike from Hell"
    • CVO3: 02 FLHRSEI "Ruby"
« Reply #29 on: July 31, 2009, 10:19:19 PM »

Swapped my center mounted SE Premium Oil Cooler for a pair of JAGG's on the down tubes. It may not look as pretty as the factory setup, but it cools much better.

Could you post a pic of that set up sometime?

JW
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.194 seconds with 21 queries.