Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: Help with wheel chock  (Read 13542 times)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: Help with wheel chock
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2011, 09:07:09 AM »

Some people trust those wheel lock docks a lot more than I do. I've actually seen them in use on trailers where the users wheel lock the front wheel and tie down the back... No way,,,not me   :'(  They can't be that trustworty regardless of brand,,, anyone here doing this???

I liked a good ride on chock in the trailer when I still had the trailer.  But liked it for its ease of loading; that you could ride in and stand up without having to strap anything down awkwardly from the saddle before moving.  Still tied things down normally though. 

Have a good chock on the table lift.  Still use two straps side to side on the lift.  Not going to trust just a chock.

Rio

• 2011 CVO Road Glide Ultra Rio Ember/Black
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Nick
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2011, 09:13:29 AM »

I have a Condor and I am happy with it.  You need pull it out and adjust the pin back so you have more weight on the backside of the wheel chock.  At least that's how i make mine easier to get off the chock?
Full Sac X-Pipe,
Full Sac 2.25 cores
TTS Mastertune
Progressive Monotubes
Progressive 94 Shocks
Andrews 30t sprocket
Wind Splitter Windscreen

dep47

• Full CVO Member
  • What a color
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2011, 10:14:15 AM »

I got the bike out of the chock, had the wife stand on it and I was able to finally pull it out.  I adjusted the chock wider and tied it again, but was not happy with the fit.  Seemed a little loose, and the bike was not solid, but it came out easy.  I put a 1/4 " block in the back of the tilting portion of the chock to push the wheel forward when it rocked forward.  Seemed to do the trick.  I installed another HF chock in my trailer, and with it fastened down and adjusted up so the bike is solid it is no problem to get it out.  Seems my problem is just related to not fastening the chock down on the garage floor.  Thanks for all the suggestions.  By the way I always tie the bike down front and back when trailering.

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2011, 10:19:12 AM »

I got the bike out of the chock, had the wife stand on it and I was able to finally pull it out.  I adjusted the chock wider and tied it again, but was not happy with the fit.  Seemed a little loose, and the bike was not solid, but it came out easy.  I put a 1/4 " block in the back of the tilting portion of the chock to push the wheel forward when it rocked forward.  Seemed to do the trick.  I installed another HF chock in my trailer, and with it fastened down and adjusted up so the bike is solid it is no problem to get it out.  Seems my problem is just related to not fastening the chock down on the garage floor.  Thanks for all the suggestions.  By the way I always tie the bike down front and back when trailering.

Just a suggestion here.
Rather than drill holes in your floor mount the chock to a piece of plywood.

SBB

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2011, 11:02:25 AM »

This is so typical. A guys asks a question about how to operate an item, and he gets a dozen replies by people pumping up their own items. Can someone actually answer his question?
What is less typical is some yahoo criticizing others replies while not offering anything of substance at all !

If you don't agree with the warnings, please feel free to buy one of these units, put it through it's paces, and answer him yourself.

Do be forwarned however, that if you leave your bike in that POS to type the reply, there's a good likelihood it will be situated somewhat differently when you return. But, don't worry - you seem to be OK with that.

Have at it big guy!
2004 SE Deuce - Cobalt Blue
2006 SE Ultra Classic - Autumn Haze

dwille1498

• IL

• CVO1: 2011 FLTRUSE
    • CVO2: 2014 FLHTKSE
    • CVO3: TBD
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2011, 12:08:57 PM »

Well said mrmagloo, I would have been banned if I replied to him!!

jimcb1

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2011, 02:20:50 PM »

I have 2 condors and I like them to but iwent out to the trailer one day and the bike was on its side now I will not leave it with out tie downs just to balance it

Screamin

• 5k CVO Member
  • Number 641

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2 Cherry
    • CVO2: 2019 Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2011, 03:15:03 PM »

I/we have $30,000 +/- motorcycles. Not that more money equals better quality but why in the world skimp on a chock? Same reason, why not tie em down? I don't understand.  :nixweiss:

Rio

• 2011 CVO Road Glide Ultra Rio Ember/Black
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Nick
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2011, 03:21:16 PM »

I have 2 condors and I like them to but iwent out to the trailer one day and the bike was on its side now I will not leave it with out tie downs just to balance it

Not good.  That happened to me moving my trailer around with the bike in it.  It didn't completely tip, but it was leaning.  ALWAYS tie the bike down off the engine guards or foot pegs pulling it forward into the Condor.  I slap 2 tie downs on this way and It won't tip unless the trailer flips.
Full Sac X-Pipe,
Full Sac 2.25 cores
TTS Mastertune
Progressive Monotubes
Progressive 94 Shocks
Andrews 30t sprocket
Wind Splitter Windscreen

DJA

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2011, 04:10:35 PM »

dep47

• Full CVO Member
  • What a color
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2011, 04:17:42 PM »

I put D- rings in the floor to tie it down and positioned the front ones so that I can tie it down around the frame and engine guard.  Thought it better to have them up high.  I am planning to tie around the crash bars in the back to keep it from moving.

1sharprdkg

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4 Screamin' Eagle Ultra Classic
    • CVO2: Not CVO 2003 Road King Classic (Wife's) Sold her 99'RKC (Tinman)
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2011, 07:02:07 PM »

I have 2 Condor wheel chocks. My Street Glide and Ultra would both occasionally kinda stick. Since they are positioned against a concrete knee wall, my method was to just bump forward and usually that would unstick wheel. This weekend I parked my SERG in a chock, when I went to pull it out, it was not not going to happen...it was locked up tight!! I pulled the bike back 3-4 feet and drug the chock with it. Put the bike in gear and carefully back to the wall for a little rock...still stuck. I did this three times without success. Finally the rescue team arrived, my wife and daughter. They both stood, one on each side of the chock to help push as I pulled, that finally did the trick. Last summer also my Glide had been parked in the Condor for 3-4 days, I go out in the garage Sunday morning (Fathers Day to be exact) and the Glide is laying on it's side. My son helped me get the bike back up and announced Happy Fathers Day dad!! While watching my disgusted face he replied, it could of fell the other way and took down both bikes. Anyone have a spare manual??
dwille I don't have a spare "manual" but I just read all the paperwork that I got with my Condor. It does not say anything about what to do if a bike is stuck,other than if you have a problem setting up or using the Condor contact @ 1-800-461-1344 or email www.condor-lift.com. It DOES stress having the "cradle installed correctly. "Be sure to place the cradle with the extended NUB that is located only on one end of the cradle facing away from the unit." It also says several times to use the "optimum setting for your specific tire." So is your cradle installed correctly? Is it set for your tire? Hope this helps.
" Life is Tough, Life is Tougher if Your Stupid"... John Wayne.

geezerglide

• 1K CVO Member
  • New Geezerglide
    • AB

« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2011, 08:04:46 PM »

If you have your wheel stuck in the chock and you can not pull it out. Get any type of motorcycle jack that will fit under the frame of your bike. Secure the bike with tie downs and jack up the bike insuring you keep the tie downs tight. As the front wheel rises it should lift right out of the chock. If it is really tight make sure the tie downs are tight and simply push down on the chock while you have a friend hold on to the bike to keep it tipping forward or back.

Also the best way for a Condor or Wheeldock or other type dock system to work properly it should be fastened to the floor solidly or it will move forward when you try to drive into the cradle and when you try to back the bike out you will simply move the cock with it and as noted you will need someone to hold it while you back the out.

Some experiences i have had over the years.

geezerglide

Air-Cooled

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2011, 10:20:46 PM »

I think most did answer his question. Buy a quality chock.
When you buy a cheap wheel chock it's hard to back the bike out.
As sadunbar said, most chocks have different rockers for different size tires.
If the tire is stuck in the rocker then the rocker is the wrong size.
And you didn't answer his question either.

SBB

Nah, you just can't read. Look at his post, he's asking for advice on the Harbor Freight chock. BTW, looks like he figured out how to fix the problem without buying another brand. No, I didn't help him either, but neither did I tell him to buy what I have which is typical of so many forum answers (not just here).
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 10:28:40 PM by Air-Cooled »

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2011, 10:53:12 PM »

Nah, you just can't read. Look at his post, he's asking for advice on the Harbor Freight chock. BTW, looks like he figured out how to fix the problem without buying another brand. No, I didn't help him either, but neither did I tell him to buy what I have which is typical of so many forum answers (not just here).
You're right, he asked for advice on that POS, and he got a lot of friendly feedback. Based on how bad that product is, anything else would have been down right sinister, and against the spirit of this forum.

Again, your brilliant posts offered what?  Gotta love bobble-headed hypocrites.

Isn't it time to go and spit-shine your Obama bumper stickers.
2004 SE Deuce - Cobalt Blue
2006 SE Ultra Classic - Autumn Haze
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.222 seconds with 21 queries.