Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Whats the best way to fix this?  (Read 2229 times)

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
Whats the best way to fix this?
« on: July 26, 2011, 11:07:05 AM »

One of the screw mounts on inner fairing broke off. It's not that the brass fitting pulled out, the whole plastic tab broke off. It's the left side one that holds the windshield. I can't tell if it's a fresh break or if it had been glued on before. I don't want to have to replace the whole inner fairing for this so I'm thinking about epoxy. I am open to suggestions.

Thanks
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

StrokedRider

• If i had to do it all over again i would Ride a little harder, Love a little better and Stay a little longer.
  • Elite CVO Member
  • Ride Hard, Live Free!

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Candy Red / Black Ice (SOLD to Mjcw01)
« Last Edit: July 26, 2011, 11:35:31 AM by StrokedRider »
"Harley Davidson - The Perfect Machine to Turn Gasoline into Noise Without the Pesky Bi-Product of Horsepower!"

grandpadoc

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2000 SERG
Re: Whats the best way to fix this?
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2011, 11:10:40 AM »

JB Weld works on mine. Doc

Wrongway

• Stop Following Me!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • What A Beautiful Mess I'm In......
    • CA

• CVO1: 2014 FLHTKSE Burgundy Blaze/Typhoon Maroon aka Mongo
    • CVO2: Gone:2005 FLHTCSE2 Cherry, Teal, 2006 FLHTCUSE Crimson
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2011, 11:24:33 AM »

OH, poopie! Those screw inserts were replaced by the dealer when the paint was replaced, now one is broken?
One of my co-workers (Ya, like we work) just did that last week and JB welded it, said he had done it before.

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2011, 11:28:24 AM »

JB Weld, is that the stuff that comes in a tube?

Doc, did you use it to fix the mount back to the fairing or fashion a new one and just drill and tap it?
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2011, 11:29:14 AM »

OH, poopie! Those screw inserts were replaced by the dealer when the paint was replaced, now one is broken?
One of my co-workers (Ya, like we work) just did that last week and JB welded it, said he had done it before.

Yeah Dave, the windshield started shaking on Sunday. When  I got home and took a better look at it I saw the mount had busted off.

grandpadoc

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2011, 11:36:02 AM »

It will work either way. The RG doesn't have a brass insert so I put teflon plummers tape on the screw and applied JB Weld all around it to build up a new mount. When it dried the screw came out of its new molded self tapped screw hole without a fuss. Doc 

grandpadoc

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2011, 11:39:19 AM »

There are two types of JB Weld...slow cure and fast cure. Definately use the slow cure and let it dry overnight.  Doc

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2011, 11:52:38 AM »

There are two types of JB Weld...slow cure and fast cure. Definately use the slow cure and let it dry overnight.  Doc

Is that the one that comes in two tubes or in one cylinder?

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2011, 11:58:39 AM »

I'd suggest keeping an eye out for an inner fairing.  Some guys will get an extra ahead of time and have it painted and then switch them out.

You might try epoxy or some such but as much vibration as our bikes take, I don't think it's a long term solution for you Mark. :nixweiss:  It's one of those things, especially being right up front where you see it all day long, that'll be a thorn in your side at the most inopportune time.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

grandpadoc

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2011, 12:01:40 PM »

Two tubes, mix together in equal amounts and mix till both the black and white colors blend to a uniform grey. It tends to flow while curing so I just use a little masking tape to make a mold around the mount area. Doc
« Last Edit: July 26, 2011, 12:11:03 PM by grandpadoc »

grandpadoc

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2011, 12:09:51 PM »

On my 98 RG I can only remember doing it once and I've had the fairing off and on several times since to replace bulbs and such, so it should hold up pretty well. Doc

dartman

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2011, 12:15:46 PM »

If JB weld is used according to instructions it will break somewhere else before the repair lets go, it works well.

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2011, 12:16:10 PM »

I'd suggest keeping an eye out for an inner fairing.  Some guys will get an extra ahead of time and have it painted and then switch them out.

You might try epoxy or some such but as much vibration as our bikes take, I don't think it's a long term solution for you Mark. :nixweiss:  It's one of those things, especially being right up front where you see it all day long, that'll be a thorn in your side at the most inopportune time.

Hmmm....

JC, now you got me thinking and worrying. I guess I better start looking for an inner fairing. Where and how do I find paint codes for our CVO colors? When the time comes I want to be sure it's matching.

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2011, 12:26:08 PM »

If JB weld is used according to instructions it will break somewhere else before the repair lets go, it works well.

That's very encouraging to hear. Now I hope I can use it according to instructions.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.15 seconds with 21 queries.