Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Baker DD7, anyone done this yet?????  (Read 10749 times)

prs2xs

Re: Baker DD7, anyone done this yet?????
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2011, 09:30:44 AM »

Hi everyone
Don't have a cvo, ride an '09 FLHTC with 131. Installed the Baker dd7 when I did the motor swap, beefed the whole drive train so as to not have broken parts later.
I was a little disappointed with the dd7 because they don't really have any more strength built into them other than the door having more thickness and some wider support bearings. The gears are still all helical cut except for 1st through 3rd (I think). I only swapped to this trannie because I didn't think the stocker would take the power, but in hindsite I should have left it alone for the 3 grand it cost.

On the upside I DO like 5th and 6th gear for cruising, because 4th and fifth were always a little too low. 1st gear didn't really make a difference to me, just because of my riding style- I don't lug the engine on take off. As far as noise and shift quality, I would say a bit more quiet, and not as much "clunk" as the 6 spd, but it isn't as smooth as some of the other brands trannies, ie: victory, for one ( I'm not a Victory fan).

I guess if you feel like dropping some coin, go ahead- but I wish HD just supplied the old 5 spd instead of the way they are now!
JMHO

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2011, 12:13:34 PM »

Hi everyone
Don't have a cvo, ride an '09 FLHTC with 131. Installed the Baker dd7 when I did the motor swap, beefed the whole drive train so as to not have broken parts later.
I was a little disappointed with the dd7 because they don't really have any more strength built into them other than the door having more thickness and some wider support bearings. The gears are still all helical cut except for 1st through 3rd (I think). I only swapped to this trannie because I didn't think the stocker would take the power, but in hindsite I should have left it alone for the 3 grand it cost.

On the upside I DO like 5th and 6th gear for cruising, because 4th and fifth were always a little too low. 1st gear didn't really make a difference to me, just because of my riding style- I don't lug the engine on take off. As far as noise and shift quality, I would say a bit more quiet, and not as much "clunk" as the 6 spd, but it isn't as smooth as some of the other brands trannies, ie: victory, for one ( I'm not a Victory fan).

I guess if you feel like dropping some coin, go ahead- but I wish HD just supplied the old 5 spd instead of the way they are now!
JMHO

Thanks for the review.  I can't see how with even more gears on the shafts that they could make them any wider to increase their strength.  I can see though them using different materials and doing some cryogenics deep freezing on the gears and shafts.  If anyone is interested in this process, here's a link to review.  http://www.nwcryo.com/motorsports_gears.html

My main reason for starting this thread was that the 7 speed split up the ratios a bit better as well as getting 1st gear a bit lower for two up cruising.  I read your style might not lend itself to this as you probably don't ride two up a lot nor do much slow cruising in parking lot situations where on the 6 speed cruise drive you have to slip the clutch constantly to maintain a very slow rolling speed.  This is what I was interested in mostly.  You do review the shift qualities and compare it to others as well.

Thanks for your time to give us some input.

I bet that 131" hauls pretty good.

:2vrolijk_21:  :2vrolijk_21:  :2vrolijk_21:
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

prs2xs

« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2011, 01:49:42 PM »

It's not the material it's made of that I was concerned about - it's the helical cut gears that flex the shaft under torque applied. The baker actually has less gears on the shaft, which reduces the rotating mass, thereby reducing the "clunk" when shifting (as I understand it).
As far as 1st gear goes, it is a bit better for what you require, but only slightly. I think you would still be slipping the clutch to go slow. Ever thought of changing the # of teeth at the front or rear? Probably would do what you want for a LOT less money!
The 131 does move pretty good, but I suffer from a degree of buyers remorse! The new 120R is about 1/4 of the cost of mine- I could have had a line-up of fresh motors to install as they blow up!
The price and performance they deliver is hard to beat!!

pkl

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2011, 09:54:45 PM »

I'm one of the soon to be's. My trannny is in the box at my mechanic and as soon as I can schedule my change with a couple of other changes (radio back light and turn, brake on tour pak) I'll let you know. My mechanic says if I don't like it he'll put mine back at no charge. I'll post if I will have a 7spd for sale.

Shovelhead

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FXDSE, SERT, SE Heavy Breather, V & H Big Radius 2 into 1, S&S 585 gear-driven cams, Rivera tapered adjustable pushrods, H-D Oil cooler, Baker DD7, SE Compensator, SOHB Wedge Tensioner
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2011, 10:14:33 PM »

I'm still loving my Baker DD7, just sayin'

:jalapeno:
.....started off having a great day this morning,had not been lied to or treated like a fool, then I visited an H-D dealer service dept

pkl

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2011, 06:24:44 AM »

Of all the reviews I've read there was only 1 who said they would go back to a six.

Shovelhead

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FXDSE, SERT, SE Heavy Breather, V & H Big Radius 2 into 1, S&S 585 gear-driven cams, Rivera tapered adjustable pushrods, H-D Oil cooler, Baker DD7, SE Compensator, SOHB Wedge Tensioner
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2011, 01:13:06 PM »

....just to be clear, I never wanted an extra gear, just a lower first and closer ratios, I got that and I feel much more such as smoother , quieter, and much crisper shifts.....it wasn't cheap but , for that matter, nothing on the road to making my CVO run right has been....

:cucumber:
.....started off having a great day this morning,had not been lied to or treated like a fool, then I visited an H-D dealer service dept

HEADPAN62

• Elite CVO Member
  • born in the wind!!
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2011, 09:40:55 AM »

Another gear? They should had just regeared the 5 speed.. By 2015 it will be an 8 speed... when people will by , they will make
2011 fltr ultra
1998 Dyna wide glide
1962 panhead rigid/chopper

CVOThunder

• Retired avionics squid 1984-2004
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2012, 11:50:57 AM »

Thought I'd kick this thread back to life. Hey if I'm gonna dream, I just as well go all the way. I see the one fellow wrote about the 131 with the DD7 and then regretted not going with the 120R. That's the approach I was thinking about and what a sweet ride that would be. Heck even the DD7 behind the 110 with a 57H cam would be a blast. Anyone else installed the DD7 since this was last posted in?
2020 Road Glide Limited, 131" kit
2007 Softail Custom
2015 Road Glide Special, denim traded
2011.5 Big Blue Screamin’ Eagle Ultra Classic traded
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.182 seconds with 21 queries.