Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]

Author Topic: What do you suggest for a clean " fat ass " ?  (Read 10882 times)

Highjagger

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • tradition`s not worship ash but pass on the fire

• CVO1: FXSE Breakout Pro Street 2016 ,- and 2011 Crossbones FLSTSB ,- and 2016 LowRider s FXDLs
What do you suggest for a clean " fat ass " ?
« on: December 19, 2008, 09:54:10 AM »

The european version will look like this : Pfrtgrtfferefrgrtgwtg  :help: :givemebeer: , What a mess !
How would you change and with which parts ?
Success is to stand up one more than to fall down

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
Re: What do you suggest for a clean " fat ass " ?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2008, 09:56:45 AM »

The european version will look like this : Pfrtgrtfferefrgrtgwtg  :help: :givemebeer: , What a mess !

Eek! That is a mess! Prolly not the solution you're looking for, but put a US Version rear fender on it, and strip that down like others have here! ;)

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2008, 10:00:50 AM »

Gaaaa!  Get a us fender, french in the lp...

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2008, 10:16:11 AM »

Here's a side by side of International vs US models...

Only difference I see is the brake light above the license plate (and exhaust but most take care of that anyway). Would it be easier to remove the light (if law allows/you can get away with it) and just have the holes filled in/painted. Unless you're trying to do something totally custom I think that would be your easiest solution. :nixweiss:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
« Last Edit: December 19, 2008, 10:20:54 AM by Fired00d »
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2008, 10:21:28 AM »

Here's a side by side of International vs US models...

Only difference I see is the light of the license plate (and exhaust but most take care of that anyway). Would it be easier to remove the light (if law allows/you can get away with it) and just have the holes filled in/painted. Unless you're trying to do something totally custom I think that would be your easiest solution. :nixweiss:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

Light of the licence plate? It's got a whole standard tail light assembly the US one doesn't have, along with the licence plate light. And filling the holes and refinishing, requires pulling the fender and repainting anyway. I'd order a new US version painted rear fender using someone heres VIN, before tearing up the stock "legal European" fender. ;)

Hoist! 8)

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2008, 10:27:28 AM »

Light of the licence plate? It's got a whole standard tail light assembly the US one doesn't have, along with the licence plate light. And filling the holes and refinishing, requires pulling the fender and repainting anyway. I'd order a new US version painted rear fender using someone heres VIN, before tearing up the stock "legal European" fender. ;)

Hoist! 8)
I meant the brake light above the license plate (hate when work gets in the way of posting ;D). Ordering a new painted rear fender may be VIN protected, and since his will have a International VIN it might not be possible to get the US version (especially if it's going to be shipped overseas). :nixweiss: It was only a suggestion like yours.... trying to give him different ways to "skin the cat". :2vrolijk_21:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2008, 10:34:42 AM »

I meant the brake light above the license plate (hate when work gets in the way of posting ;D). Ordering a new painted rear fender may be VIN protected, and since his will have a International VIN it might not be possible to get the US version (especially if it's going to be shipped overseas). :nixweiss: It was only a suggestion like yours.... trying to give him different ways to "skin the cat". :2vrolijk_21:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

I get it Gary! We all know that there's more than 1 way to skin a cat though. He might need to retain that stock fender design for some reason (resale in Europe, getting tickets there, ...?). So getting another clean one would still give him options. And I gave him the solution for getting one in the last post! ;)

Hoist! 8)

Highjagger

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: FXSE Breakout Pro Street 2016 ,- and 2011 Crossbones FLSTSB ,- and 2016 LowRider s FXDLs
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2008, 12:19:49 PM »

The problem is , that we have to have a centered brake-rear-light.
So my idea goes into the direction to put on another smaller rear-brake-light including light for license-plate and license-plate-holder at the lower area of the fender ( just where your`s us-license-plate-light and license-plate is ) .
 But what to do with the huge hole ( everybody knows that there are not only two small holes for the screws ) in the fender from the huge ugly stock european fuc..... taillight . Damn , holy cow , what did they do with this great looking fat ass just for fullfilling this european chitty standard . UAUAHUAHUAHUAH BRRRRRR GRUMBLE  :jack: :rolleyes4: :rolleyes2: :vrolijk27: :furious2: :furious3: :smilie_daumenneg: :rifle:

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2008, 12:45:02 PM »

Highjagger, 

Here's $.02:  Start with removing the small reflector above the chrome license plate hood / light.  That will unclutter things a bit and only requires that you remove the plate frame and two screws behind it.  Then I would get a smoked lens for the center, rectangular light to make it match the other two.  While not ideal, it won't cost much and should look a lot better until you decide what to do.    8)

Ideally, I'd remove the center light alltogether (of course) and find a way to rewire the led lights to comply with your German requirements.     :nixweiss:  Maybe you could find a way to incorporate it into the plate hood.  Good luck!   

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

Highjagger

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2008, 01:26:36 PM »

I am thinking of such a kind of solution :

Gone Fishin'

• The Director
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2016 FLHTKSE Limited®, Black Sparkle and 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Ultra Classic®, Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate, # 110 of 992
    • CVO2: 2007 FLHRSE3 Screamin' Eagle® Road King®, Black Ice, 1 of 1325
    • CVO3: 2001 FXDWG2, Scarlet Red and 2000 FXR4, Candy Tangerine, 1 of 316
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2008, 01:28:15 PM »

I fact you have not many options. The wonderful full size German license plate can only be mounted where the provision is already, and It will look really sweet. For anyone outside of the country, typical size of the license plate is 21 x 22 cm or more than 8 by 8 inches!. I guess it will even cover some part of the turn signals, right? The rear light can be changed to LED and you can probably select white, which goes better with orange than red (have you ordered orange?).
You are not the only one disappointed: I just found out that on E-Glides the new mounting system of the tour pack does not allow a single line license plate anymore, so the back of the '09 SEUC will have also a huge license plate mounted below the rear light, which I am changing to LED grey (to match the silver). Brrrrrrrrrrrr.

1914 10E, Grey
1956 FLH Custom, Candy Orange
1988 FXRS Custom, "S.O.A."
2000 FLSTF Custom Fat Boy, "Jumpin' Jack Flash"
2000 FXSTS Custom Springer Softail, Grey
2000 FXR4, Candy Tangerine
2001 FXDWG2, Scarlet Red
2005 FLHTCSE2, -9/07
2007 FLHRSE3, Black Ice
2008 FLHTCUSE3, -7/08
2009 FLHTCUSE4, -4/10
2010 FLHTCUSE5-BLK, Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate
2012 VRSCDX ANV, Brilliant Silver Pearl
2016 FLHTKSE, Black Sparkle
2016 XL1200CX Roadster, Vivid Black
2018 FLFBS ANV
CVO 1480 IBA 26678

Highjagger

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2008, 01:39:19 PM »

I will get ( as godfather will ) a stardustsilver/titaniumdust .
Here they only give you the 25 X 20 cm license-plate that means 10" X 8" - Nothing else - they are sooooo ..... ( i don`t say it ) .
white LED with the polished back-plate for the license-plate mounted at the top of the ugly taillight and hoping that it is not more than 8" to cover all holes below .Hmmmm .

And another 249 Euros are gone .  ;)
« Last Edit: December 19, 2008, 01:41:22 PM by Highjagger »

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2008, 02:48:24 PM »

So much for German engineering!!  I may have to sell the Porsche!  Sorry guys.  I know it's frustrating! 

:smilie_daumenneg:   :smilie_daumenneg:  :smilie_daumenneg:   :smilie_daumenneg:  :smilie_daumenneg:   :smilie_daumenneg:  :smilie_daumenneg:   :smilie_daumenneg:  :smilie_daumenneg:   :smilie_daumenneg:

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

Weasels

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2008, 07:51:36 PM »

The European version will look like this : Pfrtgrtfferefrgrtgwtg  :help: :givemebeer: , What a mess !

Canadian models look the same. I bought a smoked lay down tail light lens of of Ebay for a streetglide, that way it does not have the clear spot for the plate light cost about $20.00, I don't have it on yet nor have I picked up my bike. Going to the shop on Monday and will put it on and take pictures, will post next week.

Highjagger

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2008, 01:44:25 AM »

Is this ugly stock light with a bulb or with LED ?
Black lens on clear bulb does not shine red , is there a red bulb available anywhere ?

Weasels

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2008, 02:22:00 AM »

Is this ugly stock light with a bulb or with LED ?
Black lens on clear bulb does not shine red , is there a red bulb available anywhere ?

Look in Ebay some of the lenses come with a red LED bulb

http://cgi.ebay.ca/LAYDOWN-TAILLIGHT-SMOKE-LENS-W-OUT-LIGHT-4-HARLEY_W0QQitemZ110311167466QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotorcycles_Parts_Accessories?hash=item110311167466&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2%7C65%3A1%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

Highjagger

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2008, 08:38:33 AM »

Then you know definitely that it is a LED tail light ?
Just change the bulb and the lense and everything is ok .

ice6900

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: fxstsse 07
    • CVO2: (non cvo) fxdl customised
    • CVO3: (custom)arlen ness 1914 flat trak replica
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2008, 09:08:16 AM »

kuryakyn also do smoked rear led rear lamp, have a look online

Highjagger

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2008, 10:41:41 AM »

Yes i know that there are , but the stock tail light is with a bulb , on the h-d internetsite they speak only of the control LEDs and new : the license light is LED , but not the rear-light or the break-light .
It was just an idea to change the lens of the stock red tail-light , but when you do need the complete tail-light as a LED version in black then it is not really a alternative because this rear-light is as expensive as the one i posted within the license-plate-backplate , but not so cool looking .

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2008, 10:47:27 AM »

I am thinking of such a kind of solution :

Is that a license plate frame under the tail light? Looks like an LCD panel so you can keep up with this place on the road! ::) ;D ;)

Actually, for your gigantic 2-line German tags, that's the nicest solution shown here yet! :2vrolijk_21:

Hoist! 8)

Highjagger

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2008, 11:01:47 AM »

Yes you got it , i also think that this is the best , but where to mount ?
at the bottom then you have a huge hole from the tail-light at the top .
at the top then you have the holes below not covered .
All chit .  :'(

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2008, 11:08:03 AM »

Yes you got it , i also think that this is the best , but where to mount ?
at the bottom then you have a huge hole from the tail-light at the top .
at the top then you have the holes below not covered .
All chit .  :'(

Still like the "get the US version w/someone here's VIN and keep the orig for future" option. Clean and easy. Just rig up whatever legal lighting you need after. ;)

Hoist! 8)

Highjagger

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2008, 11:15:24 AM »

Yes that would be the best look but what would be the price .
You need the original US fender from one withe a vin , i guess $ 1000
and the shipping to germany ??? and no scratches - hmmmmmm .
What do you guess what would be the price for the fender ?

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2008, 11:16:45 AM »

Yes that would be the best look but what would be the price .
You need the original US fender from one withe a vin , i guess $ 1000
and the shipping to germany ??? and no scratches - hmmmmmm .
What do you guess what would be the price for the fender ?

No clue on that. Maybe someone with a US SERG3 and a SERG3 Parts Manual can look up the P/N and check the pricing w/Jenni! ;)

Hoist! 8)

Gone Fishin'

• The Director
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2016 FLHTKSE Limited®, Black Sparkle and 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Ultra Classic®, Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate, # 110 of 992
« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2008, 12:04:23 PM »

Still like the "get the US version w/someone here's VIN and keep the orig for future" option. Clean and easy. Just rig up whatever legal lighting you need after. ;)

Hoist! 8)

Getting the fender painted to cover the holes would not be an issue.  He'd still have a huge license plate anyway!

Ride safely,
Louis

1914 10E, Grey
2001 FXDWG2, Scarlet Red
2005 FLHTCSE2, -9/07
2007 FLHRSE3, Black Ice
2008 FLHTCUSE3, -7/08
2009 FLHTCUSE4, -4/10
2018 FLFBS ANV
CVO 1480 IBA 26678

screem

• Senior CVO Member
  • Ride Sober
« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2008, 05:41:46 PM »

Charmin always works on my "fat ass" :orange:
2000 FLTRSEI
1995 Fatboy... Apes, Foot Clutch,Jockey Shift 6Gal Tanks/Flames
 RIDE SOBER

REGGAB

« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2008, 07:01:35 PM »

Why is the left muffler opening smaller than the right?  Is that only on HDI bikes or are US bikes the same way?

gordy

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2008, 08:03:03 PM »

This is what I did to my Canadian edition.  If you are changing the fender to the US version don't forget to change the signals also.  (Go from yellow to red)  There is also a wiring harness necessary.  I priced the modification before I bought the kuryakyn led light and it was over 1K  OUCH  As Bribe says "I can't see the lite when I am riding anyway"  and  more lights to notify the cagers the better. 

Weasels

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2008, 12:54:37 AM »

This is what I did to my Canadian edition.  If you are changing the fender to the US version don't forget to change the signals also.  (Go from yellow to red)  There is also a wiring harness necessary.  I priced the modification before I bought the kuryakyn led light and it was over 1K  OUCH  As Bribe says "I can't see the lite when I am riding anyway"  and  more lights to notify the cagers the better. 

I was going to change the signals to the US version so I would have smoked signals as well, what was the cost.

bribe36

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 SERG
« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2008, 02:04:00 AM »

As all the international versions suffer from the same problem I'm thinking it's just a mater of time before someone comes up with a solution(replacement light . Changing the fender, adding the new light, changing the turn signal and rewiring as required could be big bucks. I'm opting to wait it out a while and see what comes on the market. I Gordy's light, cheap and quick fix, for the short term.

Highjagger

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #30 on: December 21, 2008, 02:53:43 AM »

This looks very good to me , i am getting used to this idea .
So your stock rear-light wasn`t a LED , it was a red lens with a clear bulb ?
And your stock turn-signals have been LED with black lens and yellow LEDs ?

Gone Fishin'

• The Director
  • 1K CVO Member

« Reply #31 on: December 21, 2008, 03:18:54 AM »

There is quite a mixup in the suggestions posted, not only on this one.
- The Canadian version looks the same as the other HDI versions, however Canadian license plates are the almost same as U.S.
- Replacing the fender with U.S. parts just to avoid any holes where the original rear light was mounted is overkill. One can get the fender painted for a fraction of the cost.
- German license plates are huge. And this, regarding to the original question of the "clean fat ass" the main obstacle, not the color of the turn signals.
- Turn signals in Europe are mostly yellow, no need to find red LED's for them.
- LED's can be bought for the rear light from H-D. They are the same size as the lamps with bulbs, however.
- The rear lights can be had in red, clear, grey, always with LED's to match and get the same (red) result.
- Moving the license plate higher is an option, however we need to see it on the actual bike, not on a regular Touring bike.
- We do not know yet (at least I don't) if the SERG appear in Europe with separate lights for the illumination of the license plate and the rear light. Usually that is combined.
- An option would be to install a license plate illumination using a tiny LED. Or forgo it completely, as I have done.
- The rear light can be changed into a small LED light, which can be integrated into the fender (not mounted on the surface). That would be the cleanest look, requires painting of the fender, however.

Ride safely,
Louis

1914 10E, Grey
2001 FXDWG2, Scarlet Red
2005 FLHTCSE2, -9/07
2007 FLHRSE3, Black Ice
2008 FLHTCUSE3, -7/08
2009 FLHTCUSE4, -4/10
2018 FLFBS ANV
CVO 1480 IBA 26678

ice6900

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: fxstsse 07
    • CVO2: (non cvo) fxdl customised
    • CVO3: (custom)arlen ness 1914 flat trak replica
« Reply #32 on: December 21, 2008, 04:08:31 AM »

German license plates are huge. And this, regarding to the original question of the "clean fat ass" the main obstacle!

i guess u will have to wait till ur baby arrives, so u can offer up the huge license plate to decide on the best position to mount it, if u remove the european brake light to install the license plate holder with intergrated rear light u can fill the holes with lil chrome plugs or colour match the plugs as a temporary/permanent solution till ur sure which way to go!

What happens when its time for periodic TUV prufung, would u have to put the EU brake light back on or is that time to trade in the bike?

Highjagger

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #33 on: December 21, 2008, 05:02:16 AM »

The best : wait till the bike is here and look for a solution or cheap : forget it ( like Louis wrote ) ,
Yes , haha , making mods like a devil and before 2 years have gone trade it because of the TÜV , Muhuhuhahha .

Highwaystar

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 06 SE Fat Boy
    • CVO2: Blown 150HP 09 SE Road Glide
    • CVO3: No need to go further!
« Reply #34 on: December 21, 2008, 09:24:13 PM »

Less is best. Kuryakyn Wrap around Plate frame and smoked lay-ed back tail lamp. It's all how you accessorize.
HWStar - Pro Charger; 153 hp 136 ft lbs, Jackpot header, 2-1/4 Fullsac's, TTS and PC-V with auto-tune, Dynojet Quick shifter, Xenon HI/low.

Highjagger

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #35 on: October 01, 2009, 12:56:20 AM »

Finally i changed it to this version , not perfect but acceptable , maybe the winter brings a better idea :

NVWLDTHG

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 CVO™ Road Glide® - FLTRSE3
    • CVO2: 2004 R1200CL (Chromehead)
    • CVO3: 1979 R100RT (Airhead)
« Reply #36 on: October 01, 2009, 09:31:02 AM »

No clue on that. Maybe someone with a US SERG3 and a SERG3 Parts Manual can look up the P/N and check the pricing w/Jenni! ;)

Hoist! 8)
FYI,

Domestic Rear Fender Silver 59669-09CZB
HDI Rear Fender Silver 59670-09CZB

ZANOTTIMOTOR price lists both at $480.48 USD plus S&H

Highjagger

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #37 on: March 14, 2010, 04:26:30 AM »

thx for the numbers , will keep them in my mind .
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]

Page created in 0.24 seconds with 21 queries.