Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Author Topic: The other red bike had a good night  (Read 9694 times)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
The other red bike had a good night
« on: April 19, 2008, 02:20:19 AM »

The SERG is going to be treated to a dyno tune in the morning.  So this evening needed to get the pipes changed.  The bike scored far more than I expected when she got started though.

Yanked the duals off to install FatCat 2-1 w/quiet baffle.  The Red Bike sold me on them.  I'm a true believer now. 

While the exhaust was off and the tranny side cover was uncovered it seemed the ideal time to put in the EZ Pull clutch thing.  After all, didn't want to take the new 2-1s back off when it was already exposed now.

So new pipes and the easy pull clutch thing.  Primary is off, clutch spring is changed and just starting to put the primary back on when I remember there's a black high torque starter in the cabinet.  It came off when the chrome starter went on the red bike.

The starter on the SERG works ok.  But it turned a bit slow when the engine is hot.  So, once again, if not now then when?  Might as well stick it in. 

So exhaust, clutch pull thing and it gets a bigger starter.  Plus getting tuned in the morning.  The bike should be very happy.  The red bike didn't even look pissed off because the SERG was getting attention again.

cash338

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2001 FLTRSEI2
Re: The other red bike had a good night
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2008, 03:09:16 AM »

Did the sway problem get fixed yet?  I really like the D&D's.  I'm replacing the MM fuel injection.  I have that fellow up in NY getting the harness made as well as programing the new ECM and TSSM for the delphi.  Can't wait. 
Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we're here we should dance.

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2008, 07:24:20 AM »

The SERG is going to be treated to a dyno tune in the morning.  So this evening needed to get the pipes changed.  The bike scored far more than I expected when she got started though.

Yanked the duals off to install FatCat 2-1 w/quiet baffle.  The Red Bike sold me on them.  I'm a true believer now. 

While the exhaust was off and the tranny side cover was uncovered it seemed the ideal time to put in the EZ Pull clutch thing.  After all, didn't want to take the new 2-1s back off when it was already exposed now.

So new pipes and the easy pull clutch thing.  Primary is off, clutch spring is changed and just starting to put the primary back on when I remember there's a black high torque starter in the cabinet.  It came off when the chrome starter went on the red bike.

The starter on the SERG works ok.  But it turned a bit slow when the engine is hot.  So, once again, if not now then when?  Might as well stick it in. 

So exhaust, clutch pull thing and it gets a bigger starter.  Plus getting tuned in the morning.  The bike should be very happy.  The red bike didn't even look pissed off because the SERG was getting attention again.

There you go underestimating women again.  Now pay attention!  The old new red bike is pissed that the new old red bike is getting both your attention and is getting new gifts (she is even unhappy about the hand-me-downs - you're just lucky it wasn't a new chrome starter), she just hasn't quite decided how to explain to you exactly how pissed she is yet, nor has she decided to explain how you are about to make it up to her....  And the new old red bike may be getting attention, but she is far from satisfied...   Geez, no wonder you are single.  How have you lived so long without learning the ways of females.....???   :nixweiss:   :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2:  :cherry: :cherry:
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Screamin

• 5k CVO Member
  • Number 641

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2 Cherry
    • CVO2: 2019 Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2008, 07:40:45 AM »

Nicely put Sad. Ole Donny just don't get it.

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2008, 08:22:52 AM »

This should be interesting!

The "other red bike" is getting attention.
Good news Don.
I had a few people fuss at me for not putting the stock system back on the SERG but they just don't know how sweet it runs with the 2 into 1. It's at 92/103 and for a stock motor that makes me happy. Mr. Golden will make your SERG sing a new tune. Just don't talk about it in front of the "red bike." Or there will be problems.

:2vrolijk_21:

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

Banana man

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2005 seeg banana
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2008, 08:36:27 AM »

Don, let us know what the numbers are from the dyno run.

Now that you have two bikes, jealousy is just something you
are going to have to live with. Good luck with that.

Just don't try having two " ladies " that close together
or they won't be " ladies " for long.

Mark

TheVgirl

• 1K CVO Member
  • Hold on bro! Life is one heckuva ride.

• CVO1: 2005 VRSCSE Two-tone Electric Orange and Black
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE2 Sunrise Yellow Pearl and Stingray Silver sold
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2008, 01:06:22 PM »

There you go underestimating women again.  Now pay attention!  The old new red bike is pissed that the new old red bike is getting both your attention and is getting new gifts (she is even unhappy about the hand-me-downs - you're just lucky it wasn't a new chrome starter), she just hasn't quite decided how to explain to you exactly how pissed she is yet, nor has she decided to explain how you are about to make it up to her....  And the new old red bike may be getting attention, but she is far from satisfied...   Geez, no wonder you are single.  How have you lived so long without learning the ways of females.....???   :nixweiss:   :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2:  :cherry: :cherry:

:o  FINALLY, A MAN THAT KNOWS WHAT HE'S TALKING ABOUT!!!   :o

Either you're a very smart man or your wife has taught you well.  Can I meet her?  I think I need to take a few lessons!   ;D 
~TheVgirl~  2005 VRSCSE Two-tone Electric Orange and Black

"The shortest distance between two points is a straight line, but on a motorcycle you want to take the longest way to get there."  - Jerry "Motorman" Palladino

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2008, 02:41:44 PM »

Did the sway problem get fixed yet?  I really like the D&D's.  I'm replacing the MM fuel injection.  I have that fellow up in NY getting the harness made as well as programing the new ECM and TSSM for the delphi.  Can't wait. 

Yes, the drunken sailer syndrome was an internally broken rear shock.  Had a shock on the left side and rigid suspension on the right. 

I don't really mind the Marelli boxes.  They've got their quirks.  But I had a couple of them before and kind of learned my way around them.  So long as parts are available I've got no great desire to change it out on this bike.  It came out ok this morning too.  Pretty pleased with it.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2008, 02:44:15 PM »

Scott, the red bike got taken for the first ride this morning.  Before the SERG ever left for the dyno.  I took it to breakfast. Gave it fresh tank of high octane and spun it up the interestate 50 miles and back.  It came back with a grin on its face and seemed very content. 

Then I quietly snuck the SERG out while it was napping after its ride and headed to Golden's for the dyno tuning.  I think both girls are content now.  They seem to be striking up a friendship after their rough patch to begin with.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2008, 02:47:40 PM »

This should be interesting!

The "other red bike" is getting attention.
Good news Don.
I had a few people fuss at me for not putting the stock system back on the SERG but they just don't know how sweet it runs with the 2 into 1. It's at 92/103 and for a stock motor that makes me happy. Mr. Golden will make your SERG sing a new tune. Just don't talk about it in front of the "red bike." Or there will be problems.

With the stock exhaust stored in the attic I'll run whatever makes the bike run best on the street.  After the effect on the red bike I'm sold on these 2-1 Fatcats.  The sound and the early torque are marvelous.  Their fit and finish is nice too.

The duals that were on it were pretty gutless at the bottom end and early.  I thought they were V&H but when got them off found out they were the old Samsons.  Costmetically they were tired too.  The Fatcat's on this 95" sound great.  Quite frankly like the the low rumble on this this motor even a little better than the sound on the 103".  Both are very very nice.  Just a little different.  It's an interesting side by side comparison for the exact same exhaust system.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2008, 02:55:51 PM »

Ok, here's that the dyno tuning delivered:

It ran decently before.  Pretty good actually from about 3200 on up.  Really seemed to catch its breath there.  Now, however, it's got wind much earlier.

It really needed tuned too.  Bad.  Original AFR was all over the place.  14.5:1 down low to just richer than 10:1 between 3500 and 4200.  Overall average was about 12.5:1 but the way it danced average meant nothing in this case.  Now she's a nice straight line right where she should be.

Overall numbers were 94.1 hp and 99.06 ft pds of torque.  Whoopee.  More important is that initially it developed 78 ft pds of torque at 2500 and now has 90.  Torque band climbs through to 3500 maxxing out there.  Then it just stays there until beginning to fall off just after 5000 rpm.  In other it's got enough torque to pull, climb or pass and it's got it early and throughout the driving/cruising RPM range.  That's all I can ask of it.

So now it sounds good and pulls well.  That's the definition of a fun bike to ride isn't it?

Edit on 9 May :znotworthy:  :huepfenlol2:  :znotworthy:

Dusted.  The other red bike got some bad news earlier  :bananarock: .  But only of the very best kind.  A blue SERG of the Chipster variety visited John and Sandy's dyno today and blew the red one's doors (doors?) off.  The report is that the blue bike is running well indeed.  That's always good news.  And the other red bike is always happy when one of its mates is running well  :bananarock: .
« Last Edit: May 09, 2008, 02:42:04 PM by Twolanerider »

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2008, 02:59:41 PM »

Don, let us know what the numbers are from the dyno run.

Now that you have two bikes, jealousy is just something you
are going to have to live with. Good luck with that.

Just don't try having two " ladies " that close together
or they won't be " ladies " for long.

Mark

Just detailed the output of the finished product Mark.  Your banana would walk away from it.  But for a little 95" with just an exhaust change it's not too bad.  The numbers are about what I expected.  The torque is stronger earlier than I expected though.  So I'm very pleased.  It also just sounds a lot better than it did before.  And it's smoooooooother too.

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2008, 06:06:06 PM »

Ok, here's that the dyno tuning delivered:

It ran decently before.  Pretty good actually from about 3200 on up.  Really seemed to catch its breath there.  Now, however, it's got wind much earlier.

It really needed tuned too.  Bad.  Original AFR was all over the place.  14.5:1 down low to just richer than 10:1 between 3500 and 4200.  Overall average was about 12.5:1 but the way it danced average meant nothing in this case.  Now she's a nice straight line right where she should be.

Overall numbers were 94.1 hp and 99.06 ft pds of torque.  Whoopee.  More important is that initially it developed 78 ft pds of torque at 2500 and now has 90.  Torque band climbs through to 3500 maxxing out there.  Then it just stays there until beginning to fall off just after 5000 rpm.  In other it's got enough torque to pull, climb or pass and it's got it early and throughout the driving/cruising RPM range.  That's all I can ask of it.

So now it sounds good and pulls well.  That's the definition of a fun bike to ride isn't it?

Good #'s Don!
Those are the sign of a good running happy bike.
About what I was expecting (and hoping for) and very close to mine.
This should give others with a 2 into 1 on a 95" SERG a decent benchmark to go with.
And the important thing is they are happy numbers.
I always expect my bikes to be all they can be regardless of cubic inches or modification.
Sounds like your there also!
Now quit spending money and ride!

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

cash338

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2001 FLTRSEI2
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2008, 06:55:31 PM »

Sound excellent.  Thats real close to mine. 89hp with 96 ft. torque.  Same exhaust.  Now it's time to put a smile on your face with bugs in your teeth and ride.  Kickstands up.   Scot
Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we're here we should dance.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2008, 07:14:15 PM »

Scot, Chip; I did just that (ride!).  Left my desk and phone about 2:00.  Had to do just a bit after spending the morning at John's.  But headed out in a beautiful spring afternoon and got home about five minutes ago.  God what a gorgeous day. 

One of those need-just-a-sweatshirt-under-a-brilliant-blue-sky kind of days.  Four hours, two lakes, one nearly road killed squirrel and about 250 miles later and that SERG is one well running bike.  The exhaust sounds great!  Just a brilliant tone going down the road that you can still hear the radio over just fine. 

That long flat torque curve is sweet.  From just below cruise to well past any regular cruise RPM it just pulls and pulls and pulls.  Doesn't have the yank that the red bike does of course.  But it'll go around whatever you want to and never whimper a bit in doing it. 
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Page created in 0.205 seconds with 20 queries.