Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Author Topic: What the hell happened?  (Read 9033 times)

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
Re: What the hell happened?
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2016, 10:40:22 PM »

Talk about value.  My painter recently took the rider course and got his motorcycle endorsement.  He's been renting every weekend, for weeks, a different model each time.  He even got to ride a couple CVOs last weekend at the factory demo rides.

He called me yesterday and asked if I'd go up to Los Angeles with him to look at a 2013 Street Glide (standard model....not a CVO).  We looked long and hard and I took it for a test ride.....all good.  It started out at $13,500.  I negotiated the deal with the seller and got it down to $10,000!

Miguel's first motorcycle....a 2013 Street Glide! :2vrolijk_21:
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Road Dad

• Senior CVO Member
    • MI

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited - 117 CU
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2016, 11:46:31 PM »

So some say corporate greed but do they really understand what they are talking about??

$32K and then 5 years later being $37K. Is that greed?  Well assume that every employee get 3% annual increase for five years. That will take you from 32 to 37 in five years.

So just to keep up with cost of living increases you will get from 32 to 37 in five years. Why is that corporate greed?  Seems like it is a demand from Americans feeling entitled to get a 3% annual increase????

It's called corporate greed combined with customers who don't mind being raped.  They are selling fewer bikes these days, so they just jacked up the prices (and cheapened the parts and labor) to make up the revenue lost from lower sales.  They will continue to do it until the consumers get smart and stop being willing participants.  In a more competitive market, those price increases would be kept in check by the competition.  Right now Harley enjoys little competition in the heavyweight motorcycle market.  That doesn't mean it will always be that way, and I for one would love to see Polaris and others start kicking some Milwaukee azz.

Jerry
« Last Edit: March 05, 2016, 11:50:10 PM by 117 Cubic Inch »

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2016, 12:13:45 AM »

So some say corporate greed but do they really understand what they are talking about??

$32K and then 5 years later being $37K. Is that greed?  Well assume that every employee get 3% annual increase for five years. That will take you from 32 to 37 in five years.

So just to keep up with cost of living increases you will get from 32 to 37 in five years. Why is that corporate greed?  Seems like it is a demand from Americans feeling entitled to get a 3% annual increase????

While I'm not totally disagreeing with your premise your argument is facile in that it suggests wages are 100% of, or at least in control of, production costs.  Other things (health care as a component of personnel cost) may in fact go up more (or may not).  Materials or other production might find an offshore savings.  Yes, from 32 to 37k over five years is very neatly accounted for by approximately 3% increases.  But not by 3% salary increases.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2016, 10:37:10 AM »

It's cororate greed when I "earned" a 10% annual increase, saved the company ten times what my annual salary is) and only got 3% increase.  :nixweiss:

What ever they charge for a given year is one thing and like many others here.....I've paid that more than once.  But it's how fast they loose value now days that causes one to have to reconsider buying new.  I can still remember the days when I was able to say "I've never sold a motorcycle for less than I paid for it".....faded memories now.  :nixweiss:
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

fastfreddy

• 1K CVO Member
  • MY CVO
    • IA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE traded
    • CVO2: 2016 FLTRUSE
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2016, 12:28:18 PM »

fact of life, pretty much every thing costs more than it did 5-10 years ago and aint worth what we paid for it. real estate, gold & silver maybe the exception but we are not talking bout that   :nixweiss:
SERGU aka the RENTAL ... never home & always broke...Thnx FF

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Roman Gold/Burnt Emerald
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2016, 12:35:17 AM »

agreed.  10 years ago, I bought my new truck for $27k otd.  now, to replace this truck would cost over $50 grand.  i'd glady pay the 5k markup to $32k.
I understand the concept of reality, but find it too confining as a way of life

YELLOWBIRD

• Elite CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 2009 CVO ROADGLIDE
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2016, 08:17:45 AM »

I'm so glad that I paid $29k back in 2009 for mine!
(And I thought that was crazy for a two wheeler.)

But just like everything in life, prices always go up!

YB

2009 SCREAMIN' EAGLE CVO ROAD GLIDE FLTRSE3 117" PRO RACE
(1 OF ONLY 369 US) "LAST YEAR OF THE HAND BUILT"

Dr.D

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SEDFB Sunrise Yellow and Black Quartz
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO Limited silver/orange
    • CVO3: 2015 Indian Vintage Custom 57 Chevy Blue
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2016, 04:12:58 PM »

The new CVOs are expensive toys for the motorcycle elite. If you want to live at this level then pay up. $40'000.00 for a motorcycle is stratospheric play money. I am glad i bought one already and most likely will not buy a new one again. I am one of those that could look at another brand. Heck I have. I like Harley but no longer married to them.

jc15025

• 2015 CVO FLHXSE
  • Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • PA

• CVO1: 2015 CVO FLHXSE
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2016, 06:34:00 AM »

I got mine used at reduce price from new! I fill extremely fortunate to have this cause it seem the FLHXSE were all out of my price range until this one!  :apple: :carrot: :jalapeno: :cucumber: :pineapple: :pepper: :orange: :mango: :bananarock: :beerchug:
« Last Edit: March 10, 2016, 06:57:54 AM by jc15025 »

sold a 2005 Softail Deluxe and 1971 GTO  for my new used 2015 FLHXSE

DesertHOG

• Visiting America One Road Trip at a Time
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Vivid Black Special
    • NM

• CVO1: 2011 FLTRUSE - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2015 FLTRUSE - SOLD
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXS - Vivid Black
    • Join me on Facebook
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2016, 08:23:40 AM »

The new CVOs are expensive toys for the motorcycle elite. If you want to live at this level then pay up. $40'000.00 for a motorcycle is stratospheric play money. I am glad i bought one already and most likely will not buy a new one again. I am one of those that could look at another brand. Heck I have. I like Harley but no longer married to them.

Recent add to my stable. Still have my CVO but wondering when I will ride it, other than to the Redwoods and Maggie Valley.

MrSurly

• Formidable Faux
  • Elite CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2016, 09:38:18 AM »

Recent add to my stable. Still have my CVO but wondering when I will ride it, other than to the Redwoods and Maggie Valley.

I have a buddy who switched from a CVO Ultra to a GS and later that same K16 and has now switched Back....to a new Ultra..... go figure.

« Last Edit: March 09, 2016, 10:00:16 AM by MrSurly »
Rhetorical questions, who needs 'em?

2010FLHTCUSE5
Dethroned Garage Queen, Sullied 2013

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2016, 06:48:27 PM »

What's that little antenna for Simon? Anyway nice looking bike. I once walked into a BMW dealer and asked what is the seat height? I looked down at my short legs and said "Wont Fit" thanks and left.  :huepfenlol2: I know there are ways to lower, already did that on mine. Now with the Hammock seat my toes won't even touch the ground. So I'm still blue :coolblue:

DesertHOG

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Vivid Black Special
    • NM

• Join me on Facebook
« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2016, 09:45:03 PM »

What's that little antenna for Simon? Anyway nice looking bike. I once walked into a BMW dealer and asked what is the seat height? I looked down at my short legs and said "Wont Fit" thanks and left.  :huepfenlol2: I know there are ways to lower, already did that on mine. Now with the Hammock seat my toes won't even touch the ground. So I'm still blue :coolblue:

Little antenna is AM/FM but I think there is a Sirius antenna buried in there somewhere, I just haven't subscribed yet. I will say that the Bluetooth pairs to my helmet. More than I can say for my 15 CVO. And man of man, this thing acts like a rocket even with my big fat  a$$ on it. 160hp with 127ft# of torque, out of the box. Did a top speed test and got it to 148. Lucky to bye it right too, 2014 with 26k miles.

I'm thinking the CVO will still be my long haul MC, at least this year.

Simon

DesertHOG

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Vivid Black Special
    • NM

• Join me on Facebook
« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2016, 09:47:09 PM »

I have a buddy who switched from a CVO Ultra to a GS and later that same K16 and has now switched Back....to a new Ultra..... go figure.

Yeah, it's a funny thing. I have the CVO, GS and K16 in the stable. I like them each for what they do best. The most comfortable riding position right now is on the GS. I am going to lower the pegs on the K16 and see how that feels. The CVO feels funny after riding the GS for an extended period. Just getting my feet onto the floor boards seems a struggle. Hmm..

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America
« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2016, 11:00:53 PM »

You want to talk about value drop, look into a BMW GTL
Alan
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Page created in 0.2 seconds with 21 queries.