Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]

Author Topic: Zumo Newbie Questions  (Read 30222 times)

Tbone

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: 2009 FLTRSE3
    • CVO3: 2013 FLHTCUSE8
Re: Zumo Newbie Questions
« Reply #135 on: December 10, 2007, 05:37:07 AM »

This made me start thinking. I don't know enough about the XM setup on our HK radios. Is it possible to use the the HK antenna and XM receiver as input to the Garmin? That would be great since I already have a subscription for that receiver.
Bret

Bret,

I don't think it's possible but it would be great if someone figured that out!

Bob
2014 FLHTKSE Stardust Silver/Autumn Sunset
2013 FLHTCUSE8 Anniversary
2009 FLTRSE3 Orange/Black
2008 FLHTCUSE3 Anniversary
2003 FLHRCI Silver/Black

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #136 on: December 10, 2007, 07:31:39 AM »

This made me start thinking. I don't know enough about the XM setup on our HK radios. Is it possible to use the the HK antenna and XM receiver as input to the Garmin? That would be great since I already have a subscription for that receiver.
Bret
My guess is not. I believe the GXM30 has a USB connection that plugs into the motorcycle mount, and I would doubt that your XM receiver on the bike would have the same plug. If you already have the XM on the bike only thing you will gain by having it in the Zumo is when the radio is in the Aux position and you're listening to it when you get directional voice prompts from the Zumo it will cut the XM out.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #137 on: December 10, 2007, 12:22:05 PM »

Nope...won't work.  The XM on the HK radio is a different animal than that on the Zumo.  That's why the XM antenna on the Zumo is such a big honkin' thing...Like d00d said, the only thing to be gained is when in the Aux position on the HK, allowing the Zumo's output to come through the HK audio system.

Has anyone put the Zumo's XM antenna inside the fairing yet?  I'd be interested to know if the reception is weaker/worse than with it mouted on the bracket that fits the Techmount.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #138 on: December 10, 2007, 12:32:10 PM »

Has anyone put the Zumo's XM antenna inside the fairing yet?  I'd be interested to know if the reception is weaker/worse than with it mouted on the bracket that fits the Techmount.

I did on someone's bike here several weeks ago.  Used the Harley XM antenna bracket as an install point.  It worked in the driveway.  Haven't heard any negative reports since.  No news is good news.

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #139 on: December 10, 2007, 12:38:05 PM »

I did on someone's bike here several weeks ago.  Used the Harley XM antenna bracket as an install point.  It worked in the driveway.  Haven't heard any negative reports since.  No news is good news.

Was wondering about that because it's a much larger unit...isn't it a transmitter/receiver built into one large fugly hockey puck?  If a person were not moving the entire apparatus from one vehicle to the other, that would be the place to have that thing.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Bungy

• Senior CVO Member
  • Keep your stick on the ice
    • AB

• CVO1: '08 SEUC annie
« Reply #140 on: December 10, 2007, 12:44:35 PM »

I originally had it installed on top of the radio - worked fine, not optimal (some fadeout), but liveable.
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #141 on: December 10, 2007, 02:27:47 PM »

Was wondering about that because it's a much larger unit...isn't it a transmitter/receiver built into one large fugly hockey puck?  If a person were not moving the entire apparatus from one vehicle to the other, that would be the place to have that thing.
Receiver and antenna built into one.

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #142 on: December 10, 2007, 03:03:03 PM »

Nope...won't work.  The XM on the HK radio is a different animal than that on the Zumo.  That's why the XM antenna on the Zumo is such a big honkin' thing...Like d00d said, the only thing to be gained is when in the Aux position on the HK, allowing the Zumo's output to come through the HK audio system.

TC,

I have tried mine on the inside of the fairing - I didn't notice any loss in reception.  But, in the meantime, I started using my Zumo in my vehicle also (along with the XM), so I mounted the antenna back outside the fairing so I can move the antenna between my bike and SUV...

Scott
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #143 on: December 10, 2007, 10:17:19 PM »

TC,

I have tried mine on the inside of the fairing - I didn't notice any loss in reception.  But, in the meantime, I started using my Zumo in my vehicle also (along with the XM), so I mounted the antenna back outside the fairing so I can move the antenna between my bike and SUV...

Scott
Hey Scott, when you move the Zumo and XM antenna to your vehicle, do you play the XM thru the car mount single spkr?   Or, have a method of playing thru your stereo amp?   :-\
 spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #144 on: December 10, 2007, 10:22:53 PM »

Hey Scott, when you move the Zumo and XM antenna to your vehicle, do you play the XM thru the car mount single spkr?   Or, have a method of playing thru your stereo amp?   :-\
 spyder

Spyder,

I am not sure of the name of the device, but there is a plug in attachment that allows your Zumo/XM/MP3 to play through an FM station on your car radio.  It may be called an FM modulator.  It is a generic device - I picked it up at Best Buy.  It was pretty simple to hook up and works well.  Not the greatest explanation, but someone else will likely be able to identify the device by the right name and explain it better...

Scott
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

SilverDawg

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #145 on: December 16, 2007, 07:54:04 PM »

I just happen to keep some information handy....

Check out this thread - Standard GPS or Garmin - implementation starting at reply #11. You will find a list of all the parts that others and myself have used. I ordered my Techmount from them directly, used the Radio Shack power plug (but will replace it w/the one Terry found if ever needed), and I also got a cover to put on the face of the Zumo to prevent scratches from - Invisible Shield (it says it is for a Street Pilot, but the display screen is the same size as the Zumo). Also check out this post - Zumo Tips/Tricks... this is a nice replacement security screw for the mount. The one that comes stock has this special screw/screwdriver that is a pain in the butt for us old guys. It is really small and hard to see. Both of the above threads have good information on parts, installation and tips/tricks for the Zumo.

Techmount 30997MC (these are for the stock handlebars (1") if you've changed yours you'll need to get one that corresponds to the diameter of your bars)SOUND PROFESSIONALS - GOLD PLATED 3.5MM (1/8 INCH) RIGHT ANGLE STEREO PATCH CABLE (1 meter length)

Either one of the following two will be good for power plug if you want to use your cigarette lighter.

12V Flush Mount Receptacles & Plugs (Plug Only)

Sealink 12V Receptacles, Plugs, and Both (Plug Only)

The only other thing I did was went to a local fastener store w/the screws that hold the Zumo mount to the Techmount and got some shorter screws. You can see the difference in these two posts - stock screws and short screws.

Once you get the unit make sure you go to the following places to update and register your Zumo.

Product Registration

Web Updater (This will allow you to make sure your Zumo has the latest firmware)

MapSource software version 6.13.4 as of September 26, 2007

If you are going to be interested in loading POI's (Points Of Interest) you'll need this also - POI Loader for Windows software version 2.4.2 as of August 6, 2007.

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

Here is a real easy one for y'all.  Since I have no bike at the moment, can anyone tell me what the bar size is on the 2008 Ultras (non SE)? 1" or 1 and 1/4?  Not sure where to check to get that info.
2008 FLHTCU Candy Red Sunglo -ABS/Security/SERT/V&H ovals
2008 FXCWC - Pacific Blue Pearl Deluxe-SOLD

The poster formally known as Cobaltman...

"As I grow older, I pay less attention to what men say.  I just watch what they do." - Andrew Carnegie

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #146 on: December 17, 2007, 10:53:31 AM »

Here is a real easy one for y'all.  Since I have no bike at the moment, can anyone tell me what the bar size is on the 2008 Ultras (non SE)? 1" or 1 and 1/4?  Not sure where to check to get that info.

Cman - page 465 of the 2008 HD Parts & Acc. indicates it's a 1" bar.  Part #56036-08.

"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

SilverDawg

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #147 on: December 17, 2007, 11:39:13 PM »

Thanks Iski.  I really need to get my service manual and parts catalog.
2008 FLHTCU Candy Red Sunglo -ABS/Security/SERT/V&H ovals
2008 FXCWC - Pacific Blue Pearl Deluxe-SOLD

The poster formally known as Cobaltman...

"As I grow older, I pay less attention to what men say.  I just watch what they do." - Andrew Carnegie

Texas 103

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • TX

• CVO1: 2016 "RGU"
« Reply #148 on: December 18, 2007, 08:27:43 AM »

Terry,
I stuck mine right on top of the radio with double sided tape>>> So far so good>>> Greg
Too Much of a good thing is just right !! Then more is always better

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #149 on: December 18, 2007, 09:25:33 AM »

Terry,
I stuck mine right on top of the radio with double sided tape>>> So far so good>>> Greg
hey Greg, which 2008 CVO will you purchase  to keep your 'every other year' string going?  :nixweiss: har!  spyder
« Last Edit: December 18, 2007, 04:41:35 PM by spydglide »
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]

Page created in 0.35 seconds with 21 queries.