Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Revisiting a discussion on HID options  (Read 4850 times)

ultrarider123

Revisiting a discussion on HID options
« on: March 09, 2015, 08:34:42 AM »

First off, I've been very happy with my phase 7 LED headlight on Ginger.  It's been over a year and a half since I installed it.  The light spread is very good for my use, it appears that the light output has not faded since new and I'm quite happy comparing it to the stock dual bulb halogen.

Thing is, I'm getting older.  I've always had good night vision but I can tell it's not what it used to be.  We just purchased a used 335i which came with HID headlights.  This is my first experience with the HID's as a driver in my own car and I love them.  No issues with night vision using them.  After actual use of HID's, I'm very impressed and it's got me back on this issue with them on the CVO.

I've looked into the HD LED prior to purchasing the phase 7.  For me, the phase 7 had a better light spread vs what the single bulb HD Daymaker LED emitted.  I'm still in that corner after 1 1/2 years as I'm still not impressed with the single HD LED offerings.  The dual headlight daymaker we installed on Skunk Ryder's '12 SERG are something to behold.  However, the single HD LED daymaker isn't the same at least to me.

History completed:  Now to the meat of the subject.
I know there are some of us that have installed the HID kits using the stock dual bulb headlight.  From the posts that I've read concerning this, most were very pleased with the results upon the initial installation.  My question:  How have they worn over the months/years and are you still pleased with the HID?  Are there any regrets on the install?  Would you do it again or go to another option?
The kit I'm contemplating is this one:
http://www.socalmotogear.com/Harley-Dual-Bulb-HID-LED-Conversion-Kit-p/hdbhk.htm
Reviews are very good with this kit.  I believe there are a few of us that have used them so feedback from those members OR folks that know someone that has installed them and likes/dislikes would be greatly appreciated.  Also, if there is a better HID kit on the market, suggestions and/or reviews of those other options are accepted... ;D

I'm settled on the HID low and HID high beam kit.

Thanks for any/all comments and feedback.  The kit is out of stock until April 1st so I have a few weeks to discuss.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 02:41:01 PM by Haird »

rheiner

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 120r motor Black Diamond/Crimson Tag Graphics
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Riptide Blue/Titanium Dust
Re: Revisiting a discussion on HID options
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2015, 03:28:35 PM »

I run HIDs on my bikes and have for 5-6 years. I am happy with my set up. I have never had a bulb or ballast fail. I have run a lot of different color bulbs from 6k to 12k. 6k is more of a white light and 12k is blueish. I prefer the 6k or 8k temp bulbs. One issue I have noticed with the stock headlamp is the high beam doesn't work as well with HID. The focal length of the bulb must be a bit different versus the stock halogen bulb because the light beam tends to be a bit too high. The low beam works well. There is no difference in the H11 and H9 HID bulbs. The focal lengths and size of the two HID bulbs look and act identical. I have tried H11 bulbs in the high beam and H9 and the result is the same.

There is a quality difference in ballasts depending on who you buy from. The link you provided looks like a reputable seller so it's probably decent product but I don't know. I have bought ballasts that vary a lot in quality. I got some on ebay that were very cheap Chinese knock offs that I'd never put in my bike.

Another issue with HID: When the ballast is on it needs a minimum amount of amperage available or it will sometimes shut off. This shut off happens when you start your bike and the amperage to the ballast falls to the point it shuts down and it stays off until you shut down the bike and restart. What I have done to solve this problem is to install a switch that turns the headlight on using a relay, after the bike is started. This is also a good idea because you can turn your headlight off if you ever have an alternator or stator failure because it allows you to ride further and keep the battery from draining as fast.

Overall I love my HID lights and when I ride with guys that have Daymaker LEDs at night, mine outperform theirs.

ultrarider123

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2015, 03:35:15 PM »

Thanks for the info and reply.  If you don't mind me asking, what brand HID bulb/ballast are you using?

rheiner

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 120r motor Black Diamond/Crimson Tag Graphics
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Riptide Blue/Titanium Dust
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2015, 04:40:46 PM »

Thanks for the info and reply.  If you don't mind me asking, what brand HID bulb/ballast are you using?

35w slim HID kit for $59.95. This is a great deal for two quality ballasts and two bulbs Use H9 or H11). By the way, if you go the relay route, get a sealed relay. I've found that water gets in the unsealed ones, even under the fairing, and they quickly fail. I use 50 amp relays because of the initial surge of the ballast.

http://www.hidcountry.com/index.php
http://www.wiringproducts.com/50-amp-sealed-automotive-relay.html

guitarider

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2015, 09:19:25 PM »

I installed this exact kit three months ago, along with 2 matching LED pass lamps from SOCAL and the results have been tremendous. I have been riding the bike out here in AZ 70 miles every other day to work and back since installing and, with the exception of a DOA passing lamp that SOCAL replaced in two days u have a zero issues. I was able to keep the original lens and two bulb look (07 CVO Ultra) and light pattern with significantly better brightness. The ballast mounting in the fairing was a no brainer as well. I highly recommend this kit.

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '01 FXDWG2 RED 103 6sp
    • CVO2: '05 FLHTCSE2 CHERRY
    • CVO3: '09 FLTRSE3 YELLOW 117/DD7
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2015, 11:38:58 PM »

'Have the SoCal single bulb HID / LED Passing Lamps kit in the '05SEEG, for over a year 10k+ mi.

I really like it! All plug n play, seems like quality components, well sealed ballast.

'Had to adjust the headlight 3/4 - 1 turn up as the beam pattern is slightly different than a regular bulb. Once adjusted, I prefer the beam pattern of the HID to the OE.

The only downside is (potential) interference with the HD Garage Door Opener Transmitter.
I say potential because I haven't got around to proper troubleshooting.

"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

ultrarider123

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2015, 07:21:02 AM »

Great information and thanks a bunch.  Keep 'em coming folks.

Got a question for rheiner, guitarider, FHW and any others with this information:  Heat....I know there are issues with HID and heat on some kits/brands.  Have you noticed anything out of the norm from what the standard Halogen bulb puts out?  Guitarider, you put your ballast on the back of the faring I'm assuming.  Can you feel any heat from them or have you had any heat related paint issues where you've mounted the ballasts?

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '01 FXDWG2 RED 103 6sp
    • CVO2: '05 FLHTCSE2 CHERRY
    • CVO3: '09 FLTRSE3 YELLOW 117/DD7
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2015, 09:43:20 AM »

Great information and thanks a bunch.  Keep 'em coming folks.

Got a question for rheiner, guitarider, FHW and any others with this information:  Heat....I know there are issues with HID and heat on some kits/brands.  Have you noticed anything out of the norm from what the standard Halogen bulb puts out?  Guitarider, you put your ballast on the back of the faring I'm assuming.  Can you feel any heat from them or have you had any heat related paint issues where you've mounted the ballasts?

'Never thought about any heat issues :nixweiss: 'Just stuffed the ballast into the headlight hole...
"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

guitarider

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2015, 03:31:29 PM »

Have not had any heat issues, nor interference with Xm or CB. FLAHEAT I will try your adjustment. Now that you mention it the beam pattern seems a tad lower.

guitarider

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2015, 03:32:32 PM »

I also have a home link installed so garage door opener is a non issue for me. And I also use the integrates harness to keep passing lamps on with high beam.

ultrarider123

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2015, 05:11:25 PM »

Thanks for the additional info fellers. Much appreciated

Gnarl78

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: 2005 VRSCSE
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2015, 06:30:07 PM »

I have that SOCALMOTOGEAR dual bulb HID kit plus the Extreme LED passing lamps (similar to the Phase 6 lights) installed in my 08 CVO Ultra for the past 6 months. No issues so far, but I'll check to see if the ballast has caused any heat-related paint issues when I pull my fairing in two weeks. These lights are very bright and the LED passing lamps are pretty close in color to the HID headlights. I can't remember if there is any difference in light pattern from the OEM dual halogen bulbs; but definitely brighter and better visibility. I also went through an iteration using the Phase 7's and I much prefer the HIDs at this point. They do draw some power when you start your bike, but I haven't experienced a shutoff like some others have noted.
'08 FLHTCUSE3
'05 VRSCSE
'03 FXDL
IBA#58965

05Ultra

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2015, 07:49:06 PM »

One of the first things I did on my "05 was to swap over to HID after being disappointed with the light output of the dual beam.. (no LEDs back then) Just the low beam. No need for the hi beam IMO. It just shoots a narrow beam and if you have to flash someone it wont ignite fast enough anyway. I mounted the ballast on top of the radio with double face tape. No heat issues there. HID bulbs do degrade over time. So slow you might not notice it. A color shift really. I replace mine every other year or so. I also added a time delay relay so the bike is running before the ballast ignites.
All the bells and whistles. Including 6 speed, GPS and heated grips.
OK, I'm getting old. Get over it!

ultrarider123

« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2015, 08:17:30 PM »

Very good info. The relay is something that seems to be a general consensus so that's added to my install/order list. One question on not getting the high beam HID. Is that something most do as in low beam HID and high beam halogen or LED instead of HID?  I really want to go low and high beam HID.
great discussion folks. This is very good info.   

05Ultra

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2015, 08:23:40 PM »

Just my opinion but you don't need HID high beam. or wont need it. The low beam is more then brite enough. I only use my hi to flash someone or to open my garage door.
 But lets hear from someone that has both.
All the bells and whistles. Including 6 speed, GPS and heated grips.
OK, I'm getting old. Get over it!
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.194 seconds with 21 queries.