Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Wobble and Front Motor Mount  (Read 13665 times)

efrbc1

• Senior CVO Member
Wobble and Front Motor Mount
« on: February 28, 2011, 12:28:16 PM »

Posted about this in the past and still have not made any changes.  2005 SEEG with 30K miles.  Replaced the front motor mount about 15K ago with the "new" "C" version and finally fed up with the increase in vibration/shaking, especially at idle.  Of course the local dealer says "this is normal" (how do they do this with a straight face????) so they are of no help.  Been looking at the Velva Ride, Glide Pro, and even the Buell alternative to help.

Also still putting up with the "wobble" that some of these seem to have (my '03 Road King does not).  I have a Bagger Brace which helped a bit but the bike still feels a bit squirelly through high speed sweepers.  Alignment seem to be good although I plan to check it (Glide Pro video looks like a good way) and the tires (Metzlers) are new.  Progressive springs up front with 15wt oil and Progressive 440's in the back.

Had the rear wheel and shocks off and I can feel a very slight bit of side to side play in the swingarm.  Can't see it move but its is something that can be felt when pushing/pulling the swingarm from side to side.  Would this be normal????????

Spoke with Jim (HD Dude) and he has some swingarm bushings that he recommends.  Also looking at the entire Glide Pro system as I need do to something with the front motor mount also.

I know there are still a bunch of these out there and I am looking forward to knowing what others have done and what their findings/recommendations are.  Put up with this long enough, time to fix it once and for all.

Thanks  -  Chris
2003 Special Edition Firefighter Road King
2005 Cherry Screamin Eagle Electra Glide

efrbc1

• Senior CVO Member
Re: Wobble and Front Motor Mount
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2011, 08:49:21 PM »

Bump......  Anyone?

roadrunner

• Tennessee Squire
  • Elite CVO Member
  • "I'm gonna see a man about a dog!"

• CVO1: 2015 FLHRUSE
    • CVO2: 2004 FLHTCSE (Sold)
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2011, 08:50:22 AM »

I'm going with the pro glide system this summer and front motor mount and removing the ridstr8 assembly.

Here' a couple of interesting posts;
replacement of front motor mount
http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=54671.0

Glide-Pro Stabilizer
http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=23077.0
http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=26835.0;all

Cheers!
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 08:19:29 AM by roadrunner »
2015 FLTRUSE
Clearview GP 12", Fullsac DX, 2.25 power cores with screen and TTS Tune.

Cigarmike

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2011, 11:46:25 AM »

I had nothing but trouble with the glide pro,( wobble) and their motor mount was crap imo. I found an old (new) harley motor mount. and chucked the glide pro in the swing arm. all better, no wobble, less vibration
You will get no more Respect than you are willing to give.

trippy

• Full CVO Member
  • 2007 CVO Road King 113cu Stage 4 Baker F6R
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2011, 06:30:45 PM »

I fitted the Bagger Brace last year and it worked well, got a little more vibration than before but nothing serious, did find under very heavy load, bends at 70-80 mph still felt a little loose at the rear but nothing like before, then decided to fit the glide pro system, again worked very well with no extra vibration, but again in high speed bends somtimes felt a little loose at the back, decided to fit the bagger brace back with the glide pro, WOW, goes
like its on rails, handling now pin sharp (for a Harley), and guess what no vibration at all!
WHUFC   COYI

efrbc1

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2011, 11:43:35 AM »

Thanks.  This may be where I end up also.  Already have the Bagger Brace but still some "movement" in sweepers.  Going to do the "laser" alignment per Glide Pro video and see how that works first.  Spoke with Jake (Glide Pro) and he "guarantees" his product will help or a full refund.  Hoping it will and also looking forward to losing some of the shaking from the "D" motor mount.

Chris

VANAMAL

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SESG
    • CVO2: 2005 seeg banana
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2011, 07:52:02 PM »

I had some bad vibes and replaced the front motor mount twice as well. Turns out that the swingarm bearings/bushings and rubber mounts were all worn out. Have 60k miles now. This solved the vibration problem. Ive had the ride str8 for years and bike does not wobble at all. pm with any quest :bananarock:

efrbc1

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2011, 09:13:45 PM »

Did you use stock HD parts or aftermarket (swingarm bearings / bushings / rubber mounts)?

Chris

VANAMAL

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SESG
    • CVO2: 2005 seeg banana
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2011, 08:12:28 PM »

SORRY-I got the parts from hd dude. stock- lasted a long time. replaced the wheel bearings too and found i had one bad in front

rebelhoop

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2011, 11:39:01 AM »

I have an 08 SERK that had tire cupping issues, wobbled at high speeds tried bagger brace, no change.  Jake at glide pro is a great guy, look at his vids, he does not even tell you to buy is high quality mounts!  You have to assure that you have correct steering head bearing preload, rear swing arm bearing in good shape and have someone qualified align it per Jake's vid.  I aligned mine, the frame was so misaligned I had to improvise a smaller bolt in the front mount (they seem to be incorrectly assembled to go to the left side) It was like a different bike! wobble gone, tire cupping gone!  This winter HD warranty replaced my main frame under warranty, to early to know the change it made...

roadrunner

• Tennessee Squire
  • Elite CVO Member
  • "I'm gonna see a man about a dog!"

• CVO1: 2015 FLHRUSE
    • CVO2: 2004 FLHTCSE (Sold)
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2011, 03:59:49 PM »

Interesting article on installing motor mount and the different versions.

http://www.moccsplace.com/images/mount/mount.htm

Cheers!
2015 FLTRUSE
Clearview GP 12", Fullsac DX, 2.25 power cores with screen and TTS Tune.

efrbc1

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2011, 08:58:14 PM »

Update - did the alignment (Glide-Pro method) and it was off just a bit.  Got it "straight" and in the process checked the front motor mount.  I have the HD 79C version which is now updated to the 79D version.  Looked OK so I loosened it up and ran the bike for about 10 minutes.  Vibration (at idle) was gone.  Called three HD dealers for the torque spec (new/old??) for the center bolt and got three different answers.  Got 35-40 (per the '05 manual), got 25-30, and got 15-20.  Torqued it to 25 and the idle vibration is better but still an annoyance.  Rode the bike and it "rides" fine - no vibration and feels a bit better at speed (did not get the chance to run it hard).  Thinking a "lighter" torque spec is better?

Does anyone know the correct torque spec for the center motor mount bolt??

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2011, 09:04:11 PM »

Does anyone know the correct torque spec for the center motor mount bolt??

As per the little HD "Torque Values" pocket guide they're 33-38 ft pds.

jagonza1

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2011, 01:09:06 AM »

I crashed with mine.  your problem is most likely in the cleave blocks have you checked the torque it should be checked every 20k but sinze my crash I check mine annually.  I also put an alloy arts stabalizer.  My roadglide started to get sloppy around trucks and curves and even with the toque correct it was still nasty so I put the alloy arts i  sturgis. made a world of differance.  torque the cleave blocks and put a stabalizer they all work great altho the onse that mount from the side like truetrack tend to scrape if you get too low in a right hander.
later
John

Page created in 0.16 seconds with 21 queries.