Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6  All

Author Topic: to what extent do u go when u clean your bike ?  (Read 22543 times)

SE-5

• Junior CVO Member
Re: to what extent do u go when u clean your bike ?
« Reply #60 on: May 05, 2012, 06:33:21 PM »

For many years, I kept them clean but didn't go crazy with it.  Woke up one morning and decided it's time to get some OCD going on the CVO( CUSE5, Burnt Amber) . Ordered some Glare products, suppose to arrive today, so I'll start my process later this week if I'm lucky.  Wash, dry, put up on J & S jack, remove seat, bags, side covers and polish everything.  It'll take a few days but I have another bike to ride (10 FXSTC), but turn on some talk radio, a beer, a cigar (gotta step outside for that) and take as much time as I can.  Then start the other bike.  I have a few (too many) vehicles; 04 F-250 Crew, 2000 Navigator, 2 Grand Cherokees. Then my In-Laws Q-45 and Accord to do.  Surely my folks will want their 2 done then too....  gonna be a busy spring.  Retirement, what retirement?  Had my last surgery yesterday following some broken leg issues but this last one was a piece of cake!   

jimcb1

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #61 on: May 13, 2012, 07:40:11 AM »

any good bike detalers in scranton pa.

hogasm

« Reply #62 on: May 15, 2012, 06:51:47 AM »

IMHO you all work to hard. I ride my bike to the same car wash which does my vehicles. They take the bags off and hand wash it including under the frame and motor,  dry it off, clean the wheels, polish all of the chrome and clay bar all of the tins before applying  2 coats of wax. Then the put it all back together. It takes them about 2 hours and they give me a chair and a soda so I can watch the entire process form the comfort of the covered detail area.  They charge me $45.00 for the entire process.   

Time for  road trip just for a bike wash.......hell I have made road trips for less :huepfenlol2:

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #63 on: May 15, 2012, 07:39:13 AM »

Time for  road trip just for a bike wash.......hell I have made road trips for less :huepfenlol2:
Damn good point.  :xyxthumbs: Better wait for the rain to stop and then head out.  :vrolijk_1: har.  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Willie D

• Senior CVO Member
  • Live Life at Full Throttle !

• CVO1: FLSTSE3
    • CVO2: FLHRSEI
    • CVO3: FXDWG2
« Reply #64 on: May 15, 2012, 10:12:16 AM »

I truly enjoy reading these detailing/cleaning threads each time they come around.  Reaffirms that I'm not alone in my obsession to enjoy riding a clean scooter. And once they're really clean, seems that it's easier to keep 'em that way.  Bugs come off easier and problems seem to be spotted earlier while touching all the various parts of the scooter while washing/drying/polishing/etc.  I do remember that the choppers were a lot easier to clean than these dressers tho....just less of 'em, I guess.  And I have white walls on Ole Granny.  Needs constant attention 'cause nothing is worse than dirty Gangsta's.  :-[  har.  :drink: spyder

I know this is an old thread, but I have to agree with Spyder on this one, I don't wash mine very often - it is easier to keep it clean than to get it clean. I love the new denim finish, it has to be one of the easiest to keep clean, glass cleaner on a microfiber, Lucas spray mist for the wheels and other chrome. . . .
JMHO  :2vrolijk_21:
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 10:14:24 AM by Willie D »
'Keep your Knees in the Breeze'
01 FXDWG- 11,000 + sold
02 FLHRSEI-66k + traded
New 06 FLTRI - Sold
08 XL1200 N - sold
2010 FLSTFB - Trade
2012 FLSTSE3 - Satin Pewter - 'Brush Gold'
2015 BMW F700GS
2017 Indian Chieftain Dark Horse  TS 111

SGME9

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #65 on: September 21, 2012, 07:27:04 PM »

I OCD when it comes to cleaning my bikes and vehicles. I detail everything. Takes me about 5 hours to do motorcycle.

CowboyBagger

• 1K CVO Member
  • Standing on the Corner!
    • AZ

• CVO1: FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
    • CVO2: FLTRKSEANV Heritage paint
« Reply #66 on: September 21, 2012, 10:54:35 PM »

My driveway is about 1/2 mile long and gravel.  It's impossible to keep my bike really clean.  With all of the hot dry conditions this summer the dust on the gravel drive has been terrible.  Earlier this summer, I drove through the yard to get to the highway, but I had to stop.  The cracks in the yard were so big that I was afraid my my front tire would fall in and flip the bike.  The other day I dropped a log chain out of the back of my pickup and it went right down a crack.  I came back a week later and I could still hear it rattle!  LOL

I'm also anal about keeping the bike clean.  I wipe it down and remove bugs daily with a detailed cleaning once a week.  I use a Hotsy power washer for the cleaning and will probably be investing in a leaf blower to speed up the process.  I'm getting tired of the time required to get all of the water spots off.
From an ocean tide, to an 8 second ride! Life is a ride, so make it a good one.

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2021 CVO Limited
« Reply #67 on: October 07, 2012, 11:04:12 PM »

If you really want to do a complete job cleaning your bike, you have to do it like in the photo.  I do this after every time I get caught in the rain.  No, I'm not serious.  This is a photo of my new bike purchased one month ago and let's just say that it's got some serious problems that I am hoping will be all worked out by next week.

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #68 on: October 08, 2012, 11:53:23 AM »

If you really want to do a complete job cleaning your bike, you have to do it like in the photo.  I do this after every time I get caught in the rain.  No, I'm not serious.  This is a photo of my new bike purchased one month ago and let's just say that it's got some serious problems that I am hoping will be all worked out by next week.

:o :o  Hope they get things sorted out for you!
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #69 on: October 08, 2012, 12:02:10 PM »

I'm thinking that the "serious problems" are that it didn't have enough HP or TQ. 8)

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #70 on: October 08, 2012, 01:55:06 PM »

I'm thinking that the "serious problems" are that it didn't have enough HP or TQ. 8)

I wish that was the problem.  new engine is on its way.

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #71 on: October 08, 2012, 02:15:58 PM »

Wow .... Got any more info. than that to share?

:jack:

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #72 on: October 08, 2012, 08:34:00 PM »

Wow .... Got any more info. than that to share?

:jack:

Only that something was making a really loud noise that certainly wasn't anything normal and I dropped it off.  I haven't talked to the tech yet.  I'm more concerned about when I will get it back and running properly.  If I find out something concrete, I'll pass it on.  I figure it's a mechanical contraption and I just got lucky enough to get one with something out of spec enough to cause a big problem.  They gave me another CVO Ultra to ride until I get mine back, so I'm feeling that the dealer is doing everything they should be doing to keep me happy in a bad situation.  Maybe I'm losing my fight in my old age, but I'm just not as concerned about the problem as the solution.

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #73 on: October 08, 2012, 08:47:09 PM »

Understand.  Just curious since I have the same bike.  I hope everything gets resolved!

Wanna Ride

« Reply #74 on: October 13, 2012, 09:59:56 AM »

I OCD when it comes to cleaning my bikes and vehicles. I detail everything. Takes me about 5 hours to do motorcycle.
Same here. I enjoy my bike, but I certainly dont want brake dust coating the wheels, bugs laying on the fairing, and water spots on all the chrome. I fully realize it's made for riding, and I ride it quite a bit. But there's no reason I can't spend 5 or 6 hours a month preserving it. Trust me, I wish it took less time. But as expensive as it is, I'll maintain it accordingly.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6  All

Page created in 0.211 seconds with 24 queries.