Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Wobble in the front end at highway speeds  (Read 11735 times)

49445CVO

• 1K CVO Member
  • 06' FLHTCUSE Black Candy Crimson/Slate

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
Wobble in the front end at highway speeds
« on: July 27, 2009, 08:37:52 PM »

I have been doing alot of reading on this and noticed that most reported problems seem to be on the SERG. They have said they have noticed this while decelerating.  I noticed a violent wobble at 70- 80 mph. with both hands on the bars. At first I dismissed it as wind and or air off other vehicles/trucks. Well the other day there was no wind and I still noticed it. It is a side to side occelation and is starting to bug the crap out of me.  The tires are not cupped and I am running 40 psi front and rear (I think that is the correct psi to run?) Any ways I was wondering what I might be able to do to try and see what the cause is.

Thanks guys,

Topper
Why is it that I never seem to succeed the first time, unless I screwed up?

geezerglide

• 1K CVO Member
  • New Geezerglide
    • AB

Re: Wobble in the front end at highway speeds
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2009, 09:57:18 PM »

Check neck bearings if you have not already, check your rotors mine were bent and I had a hell of a wobble at 165 KMH, apprx. 100 MPH, found bent rotors, do not know how they got bent, however that mtning had a new set of tires put on in Bend Oregon. Also check wheel weights if they have fallen off, they would cause more of an up down motion rather than wobble. Last thing I just thought, make sure their is no cord separation in the tires.

Also if you still have the stock rear suspension check your air pressure and make sure your air lines are not crimped, don't know proper air pressure as I have like others changed out to Progressive Suspension Rear Shocks while others have Bitubo or Works Street Tracker.

Some ideas for you.

geezerglide

49445CVO

• 1K CVO Member
  • 06' FLHTCUSE Black Candy Crimson/Slate

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2009, 01:52:45 AM »

HMMMM...  I have no idea how to check the neck bearings.  Remember this is a SEUC not the SERG. If that has any bearing on this issue. (Not trying to joke but could not refuse)

I too have thought about a thrown wheel weight and have been thinking of putting the beads in the tires.

It feels like when you are traveling close to a semi and your are riding in the turbulence.

As for the rotor thing I have noticed that when I have the bike up on the lift and it is free wheeling I have noticed that the fron wheel does not spin freely. It seems to be kinda hung up.  I posted this awhile back and got a few replies stating that the front brake maybe hung up.  I have not messed with it for I am not mechanically minded.  I really wish I was.  I was told to get some break cleaner and try to clean out the calipers and see if that might free it up. I do not feel and shake or anything odd when the front brakes are applied. So i don't think the rotor is warped.

Topper
« Last Edit: July 28, 2009, 01:55:37 AM by 49445CVO »
Why is it that I never seem to succeed the first time, unless I screwed up?

hdctss

• Senior CVO Member
    • GA

• CVO1: 2018 FLHTKSE Anniversary
    • CVO2: 2014 FLHTKSE, 2013 FLHTCUSE8 - both traded
    • CVO3: 2009 FLHTCUSE4, 2007 FLHTCUSE2 - both traded
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2009, 06:03:09 AM »

if you are not mechanically inclined, then do not screw with it...take it to a trusted, probably not the dealer, mechanic and have him or her look at it to identify and fix the problem.  we all trust our lives to these machines and they need to be in good working order.  initially until it is fixed, stay away from the speeds and situations that cause the wobble. 
2018 FLHTKSE Anniversary Odyssey Blue
2014 FLHTKSE Jupiter Blue and Wicked Sapphire with Dragontail Graphics (traded)
2013 FLHTCUSE8 Silver/Slate and Titanium (traded)
2009 FLHTCUSE4 Silver/Blue (traded)
2007 FLHTCUSE2 Candy Red (traded)

kraut

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ride & Have Fun

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE4
    • Harley Café Dresden
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2009, 06:31:45 AM »

this "wobble" haunted all pre-09 FLTs usually observed in slight turns above 80 mph.

A remedy can be True Track or the likes.

All causes allready mentioned above of course make things even worse.

CU on the road, Hans

Ride & Have Fun

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2009, 10:37:21 AM »

So far I have not had any wobble issues. Seems some do it and others don't.

DICKW

• 1K CVO Member
  • If you ain't Riding..You ain't living
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2009, 10:45:32 AM »

if you are not mechanically inclined, then do not screw with it...take it to a trusted, probably not the dealer, mechanic and have him or her look at it to identify and fix the problem.  we all trust our lives to these machines and they need to be in good working order.  initially until it is fixed, stay away from the speeds and situations that cause the wobble. 

This being the most important statement.
I like to travel at high speeds and if I had issues I would get them resolved.....immediately.
2009 Screaming Eagle Electra Glide Ultra Classic, Hawg Wired, KW 10.5, 2" Pull Back Handlebars, Dakota Digital, V&H Power Dual w/ Monster Ovals (Black Tips),
SE Air Cleaner, Zippers 575 Cams, Zippers Adjustable Push-rods, Fueling Lifters,
Thunder-Max Auto Tune, SE Compensator, Legend Air Suspension.

megavolt17

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2009, 01:46:15 PM »

So far I have not had any wobble issues. Seems some do it and others don't.

I said that too until at 105 MPH it started to wobble and progressively got worse until I got below 90 MPH.  You would be amazed at how long it seemed to take to get from 105 to 90.

Autobahn, slight downgrade, slight (perhaps) left turn in the road.  Started barely noticeable and I thought it was just wind buffeting until it felt like it was going to be a tank slapper. At 90 it simply stopped wobbling.

Tire pressure, tires, front end suspension all seem fine to me.  Keeping it <85 MPH until I take it to the dealer to have my cosmetically challenged front fairing replaced.

MV
Megavolt17

2008 Screamin' Eagle Ultra Classic Electra Glide (FLHTCUSE3)
105th Anniversary Crystal Copper and Black Onyx
HD High Intensity Discharge (HID) Dual Bulb Headlamp
HD Illuminated LED Windshield Molding Kit
HD Air Wing Tour-Pak Luggage Rack with Smoked Lens LED Rack Light
Küryakyn Panacea Blue Dot Smoked LED Taillights and Turn Signals
"Roll Your Own" SE Air Cleaner
SE Street Performance Touring Mufflers
SE Race Tuner
Traxxion AK-20 cartridges
Bitubo HD 300mm shocks

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2009, 02:19:34 PM »

I said that too until at 105 MPH it started to wobble and progressively got worse until I got below 90 MPH.  You would be amazed at how long it seemed to take to get from 105 to 90.

Autobahn, slight downgrade, slight (perhaps) left turn in the road.  Started barely noticeable and I thought it was just wind buffeting until it felt like it was going to be a tank slapper. At 90 it simply stopped wobbling.

Tire pressure, tires, front end suspension all seem fine to me.  Keeping it <85 MPH until I take it to the dealer to have my cosmetically challenged front fairing replaced.

MV

This being the most important statement.
I like to travel at high speeds and if I had issues I would get them resolved.....immediately.

Well, DUH!!! Now explain how? This has been an FLH/T issue ever since they rubbermounted and deraked these touring bikes. You can't have everything. Since the bike's so heavy and they needed low speed manueverablility, it affects the way the bike handles in a straight line at higher speeds. Couple that with the flex in the drivetrain, which causes rear wheel steer! Then add to that the crappy QC when it comes to HD frames, which can be off as much as 1/4' from one side to the other, and cause a vertical alignment problem. Now you see why NOBODY can tell you how to fix it! The '09 design seems to have helped with the rear wheel steer, but the front end problems haven't gone away, and neither have their vertical alignment problems! So all must be very careful when trying to help someone with this issue!

You can see in this post below in another thread here, what I've already done to correct it, and it STILL WOBBLES!!! I'm taking drastic steps next to measure the frame and try to correct the vertical alignment. But this is no easy subject!

Here's the thread: Front end wobble

Hoist! :coolblue:

New neck bearings-properly adjusted, TrueTrack, Bronze swingarm bearings to replace the rubber cleveblocks, AK-20 F and bitubo R, Velva-Ride stabilizers, ME880's now-with D407 R and E3 F prior, alignment with HD tool! Has wobbled from day one; and STILL DOES!!! Their freakin frames are offf!!! Simple as that! Vertical rear wheel alignment, tweaked frame setup, poor QC? Whatever it is, they've been doing it for years. Not all do, but many do! I'm still working on a cure! ;)

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

DICKW

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2009, 04:44:55 PM »

Easy Hoist

I was just stating that I would not travel at high speeds until it got looked at.

I do not have that problem to my knowledge.

I have been to 110 and no wobbling, I do however have the rear wobble through turns at 80+

2009 Screaming Eagle Electra Glide Ultra Classic, Hawg Wired, KW 10.5, 2" Pull Back Handlebars, Dakota Digital, V&H Power Dual w/ Monster Ovals (Black Tips),
SE Air Cleaner, Zippers 575 Cams, Zippers Adjustable Push-rods, Fueling Lifters,

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2009, 05:09:34 PM »

I think way too many folks either confuse the rear steer (wobble) / front end shake issues, or think they are one and the same.  They are two different animals.  The various stabilizer devices like True Trak only help with the rear steer issue, they don't directly influence the front end instability.  However, sometimes the front end shake will set off the rear steer.  That's when things get exciting, when both ends of the bike try to throw your butt in the weeds.

Before jumping straight to the least likely things, the most likely items need to be checked.  On an e-glide, those would include steering head adjustment as well as wheel balance and runout.  BTW, H-D has had a history of head bearing adjustment problems long before the current SERG issues, so don't be mislead into thinking this is just a SERG thing, it definitely isn't.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

DICKW

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2009, 08:18:06 PM »

I think way too many folks either confuse the rear steer (wobble) / front end shake issues, or think they are one and the same.  They are two different animals.  The various stabilizer devices like True Trak only help with the rear steer issue, they don't directly influence the front end instability.  However, sometimes the front end shake will set off the rear steer.  That's when things get exciting, when both ends of the bike try to throw your butt in the weeds.

Before jumping straight to the least likely things, the most likely items need to be checked.  On an e-glide, those would include steering head adjustment as well as wheel balance and runout.  BTW, H-D has had a history of head bearing adjustment problems long before the current SERG issues, so don't be mislead into thinking this is just a SERG thing, it definitely isn't.

Jerry

Agreed

I had an incedent once were the handle bars jerked uncontrollably (scared the chit out of me) but it was caused by something different. I was pulling a trailer at the time.

I was under the impression that the rear wheel wobble was taken care of with the 09 design (guess not).
I came real close to putting the Tru Trak on my 06. I guess I will have to look at some other Threads and find out which is the best for rear wheel issues on the 09 models.

kraut

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ride & Have Fun

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE4
    • Harley Café Dresden
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2009, 04:23:55 AM »

there were several known accidents in Germany 1999/2000 with E-glides. Wobble usually was front-end induced but led to the whole bike rocking like mad. After the frame-an shock-mods introduced in 02 the wobble-issue was not cured, but no more heavy accidents happened. Next frame mod 05 still improved things and this side of the ocean it is commonly believed the 09 bikes are "safe". They are not really as our dealer himself had to find out 2 weeks ago: bike had defective rear shocks (lost air) and again front-end induced wobble made the whole bike shake and let him swing over all three lanes of the Autobahn. But under regular conditions this should not happen any more and is not heard of until now. Front-end instability alone will still happen due to a broad variety of causes - but as long as it does not lead to the whole bike getting instable it's quite easily manageable - allthough not an attractive event  8)

Why do we believe the front-end used to be the "primer" and the rear-end the "killer"? All known heavy manifestations happened solo with not many luggage, often defective or not correctly maintenanced rear shocks were found. Many people didn't even know there was such a thing as air-pressure on the shocks to be checked at all. My 02 FLHRCI was rock steady heavily loaded up to over 100 mph but solo could be tricky already below 80 mph. Same with the 05 but much easier to manage.

The scenario is not Harley-specific, every bike may show it but usually ony at much higher speeds.

Loose or defective front-end bearings of course are a "killer" for themselves but will give you a destinct instable feeling allready at slow speed and therefore should not stay unnoticed.

Road Glides are comparatively rare in Europe but they were thought to be less affected because of their fairing is mounted on the frame. Bad news to learn that may be an urban legend  :-X
CU on the road, Hans

Ride & Have Fun

muddypaws

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2012 FLHTCUS7

• CVO1: 2005 CVO
    • CVO2: 2009 CVO SEUC
    • CVO3: 2017 CVO LIMITED
    • Re/Max
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2009, 07:42:58 AM »

With my new tire the bike rides much better. That's all it took to fix mine.
Bill

Page created in 0.192 seconds with 21 queries.