Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Battery Question !  (Read 17741 times)

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
Re: Battery Question !
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2012, 03:05:35 PM »

FYI, the threads in the terminal are a plate imbedded in the lead.
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

petewerner

• I live to ride, I love to ride, everyday I ride :)
  • Senior CVO Member
  • Ride it like U stole it, live life the same way.

• CVO1: 2003 FXSTDSE Sold
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2012, 09:00:37 AM »

Without questioning at all whether they are good or even very good it is difficult to justify spending $220 or more for something I can spend a hundred bucks (Deka) on and expect it to last four years (or more).  Twenty five bucks a year in use cost just isn't bad.

Thanks for the information! My interest in this, is in an effort to lighten a motorcycle globally, and it wouldn't be cheap in alot of areas as well as the battery. 

Here are some previous threads on the subject:

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=67674.0

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=69914.0

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=66727.0

Jerry
Thank you Jerry,
Thanks for the links! I am hoping that someone here has owned one and if so how did it perform over the long haul???
« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 09:10:13 AM by petewerner »
1998 FLSTF with Kerker 2/1, Dyna 2000i single
       Fire Ignition, Chrome swing arm, Garrett Billet Wheels, Too much chrome
       2 list....
2011 FLTRx 103, Stage IV, SE Heavy Breather, SE Race Tuner, SE 58mm TB, V&H Power Duals, V&H H.O. Slipons=, Dyno tuned 117HP-111TQ :D Tank lift, drop seat, turning DARK

RayG

• "What the hell was I thinking?"
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHRSE4
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2012, 04:52:27 PM »

Weather is supposed to be nice tomorrow so I was putting the final touches to take her out when the battery gave that I'm a little tired sound.  I ordered the one listed on this post from E-Bay.  $90.00 to your door is still not cheap when considering automotive batteries but it's a whole lot better than giving the dealer $170.00.

Thanks for the info

Chevy

• 09 CVO Road Glide
  • Junior CVO Member
  • Qualicum Beach V.I.
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2012, 09:53:10 PM »

Hey Ray was that a Deka you baught ? Where did you buy it for 90.00 ?

Chevy
Klock Werks windshield
SE Race Tuner
Dyno Tuned
Stage One Kit
Vance & Hines
Progresive Suspension
HID Head light Kit
King tour pac
Corbin Gunfither seat

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2012, 10:01:27 PM »

Hey Ray was that a Deka you baught ? Where did you buy it for 90.00 ?

Chevy

eBay:  http://www.ebay.com/itm/280776802998

BillH

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2008 FLTRI
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2012, 10:07:38 PM »

I ordered a Deka EXT30L last week off Ebay, had it in 5 days for $96 and free shipping.  Rain stopped today so I swapped the old one out for the new one.  The whole job took all of 15 minutes, and that includes cleaning up the battery box.  With both batteries sitting side by side, they "appeared" to be the same other than the "HD" logo on the  stock unit, and the new Deka having a white case instead of a black one for the stock HD unit.  Checked the voltage on the new Deka, and it was 12.7 out of the box.  put everything back together and plugged in the battery tender.  It charged for about 15 minutes and then went to a "green", fully charged, light.  Bike fired off immediately, and with 400cca, I expect no problems for another 4 years. 

For the price difference, I see NO reason to give HD that much money just to have a hidden battery with the HD logo on it.

FWIW

Bill
2008 FLTRI - 103, S&S 570 cams, SE cam plate, Ness Big Sucker, Woods lifters, GMR adjustable pushrods, Lozano Brothers heads, HPI 54mm throttle body mod, Supertrapp 2:1, SE compensator, BDL +1 clutch TTS tuner w/GMR Dyno, Ricor fork valves, Progressive 440's, Wild 1 515's bars, HID's, TrueTrack, J&M 71/2" speakers, Clearview +2, lots of other small stuff.

RayG

• "What the hell was I thinking?"
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHRSE4
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2012, 04:59:48 PM »

I called the tel# listed on the E-Bay site listed here on Thursday afternoon and had it by Saturday.  I think the guy told me they sold over 30 in two days.

Good Luck

lqqk_out

« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2020, 08:48:01 AM »

The only design difference is the HD sticker on it.

We can always think that, but without proof I don't think I'd state it as fact.

If you look on the website for the Deka batteries they have the same disclaimer next to the ETX30L as was reported by Chevy in his post.  And if you look at the actual specifications page for that battery, you will note that it is rated at 26 amp-hours versus the 28 amp-hour rating for the stock Harley battery.  The Deka is rated at 400 CCA, which is a much more important rating than amp-hours, but it's pretty hard to directly compare that spec to the Harley battery since Harley doesn't list CCA in it's catalog.  Last time I saw a CCA rating for the Touring battery from Harley was in 2008, and it was 365 CCA.  The latest batteries may be higher, I have no way of easily determining that.

I know this is an old thread, but I was recently researching battery issues and wanted to add some "color" to the thread.
The factory service manual lists the CCA for the battery. My manual for a 2011 Ultra (non-cvo), the battery information is isted as 405 CCA, 28 ah.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.187 seconds with 22 queries.