Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Another death at Sturgis  (Read 6041 times)

lynyrd1959

• CVO1: '13 Anniversary CVO Screamin'Eagle Ultra Classic
Re: Another death at Sturgis
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2013, 12:33:51 AM »

Tell it & sell it to the many quadriplegic's I've met; of whom 100% were riding with a helmet and ALL wish they had died that day...

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2013, 01:36:56 PM »

Be careful out there!

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/Edmonton+dies+South+Dakota+motorcycle+crash/8755871/story.html
I rode these roads a cpl days ago, YOU HAVE TO BE CAREFUL there was mad twisties it was a great ride if done SAFELY. We spotted at least 30 deer on this stretch of road as well on Thursday, Aug 8th around 6:30pm. Had a few cowboys roll up on me in a big hurry and waved them by. I go to scenic places on my bike to ENJOY THE SCENERY, not see how fast I can hang a hairpin curve.

2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2013, 02:10:42 PM »

i bet 75 % of the riders I saw at Surgis had no helmet...  Really sad..  but I had mine one every inch of the 900 miles I rode.. :nixweiss:
I'll never wear a helmet Stu EVER my choice my bike. If you want to wear one go for it. Fun riding with you though, take care!

|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 Whiskey Neat road glide custom
    • CVO2: 2019 Mako Shark Fade road glide custom
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2013, 03:27:19 PM »

Jesse.  I had the best time as well.  I get on this helmet kick at times.  Just me thinking outloud.   Really enjoyed riding with you and that nice Mrs. of yours. Thanks for joining us.  :2vrolijk_21:

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2013, 06:19:06 PM »

Jesse.  I had the best time as well.  I get on this helmet kick at times.  Just me thinking outloud.   Really enjoyed riding with you and that nice Mrs. of yours. Thanks for joining us.  :2vrolijk_21:
Any time buddy! Nothing wrong with wearing a helmet btw just saying it's the age old debate and everyone has an opinion on it. Really all that matters is that you do what you like and vice versa  ;D I personally think people drinking too much is a much larger problem then not wearing a helmet. Nothing wrong with a drink while visiting your favorite saloon but I know quite a few ppl that have many, many, drinks then drive like maniacs and endanger everyone around them! Rubber side down brother, hope to see you again!

2018_FLTRXSE

• 1K CVO Member
  • Wait 6 months?... YES it was worth the wait!
    • HI

• CVO1: 2018_FLTRXSE, Gunship Grey, (Delivered July 28, 2018... after almost 9 )
    • CVO2: 2001_FLTRSEI, Grey/Black/Silver w/Hannigan Hack and a blast to ride.
    • CVO3: 2012_FLTRXSE, Maple/Black (Delivered 1/20/2012 - Traded 10/25/2017)
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2013, 06:41:50 PM »

I hate to bash anyone about the helmet issue, so I won't.  But, after 37+ years of riding the highways and byways; and 32+ years as a US Army Combat Medic and Level 1 Trauma Center Tech, I have learned that it's all about how you crash than what you are wearing when you crash.  No adult citizen of the USA should EVER be forced to protect themselves from themselves.  Thats ALL I'll say on the subject.  Thanks for listening (or not!).

Thank you for this.

I will continue to say that a rider's mindet BEFORE you put your leg over the bike will do more for survival than any amount of gear.

Make the RIGHT choice when you're out there.

No more Hawaii HOG Rally... ask HOG why...

lowflight

• Senior CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 2013 SERG
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2013, 06:54:23 PM »

First and Foremost, sad news for sure. Nemo Road can get ya, I crashed on it about 35 years ago, thankfully my only ever crash two up (so far).

On the helmet comments: I am curious if anyone has ever heard of any recent sudties on helmet vs non - helmet states or crashes and the relationships between head injuries and broken necks? Back in the early and mid seventies there was lots of debate on this topic and a number of studies back then showed that deaths were about the same, if the stats were not focused only on head injury fatalities but fatalties overall, they also  showed that with helmets lots more serious neck injuries. I also realize that at that time those studies were being used to support the repeal of helmet laws. Wonder if there are any more recent studies and what those results are. I realize there are plenty that just show fatal results, but not why. Back then it was stated that the in the impact the spine doesn't do well with the extra weight of the helmet.  

Craigisdad

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 flstse2
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2013, 09:41:35 PM »

R.I.P.  Ride in Peace
Craig

Senator

• 2013 Anniversary Model #150

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE CVO Road Glide Anniversary #150
    • CVO2: 2013 FLHTCUSE CVO Ultra
    • CVO3: 2013 FLTRXSE CVO Road Glide Anniversary #537
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2013, 01:13:50 PM »

R.I.P.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.145 seconds with 22 queries.