Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Author Topic: Speakers in the saddlebag lids/should I?  (Read 24078 times)

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America
Speakers in the saddlebag lids/should I?
« on: August 18, 2012, 11:15:01 PM »

I have a 12 SERGC and I really enjoy listening to the music as I ride (didn't think I would coming off a Softail where I never had it) and was thinking about adding the rear speakers and amp but not sure that I will get much out of it. I always ride alone and have seen on some of the threads here that it is really for the bsr. I do realize at very high speeds that the sound might "not catch up" to me but not sure how high those speeds are or is it at most speeds. I wish I could try a bike that already has them to see for myself but doesn't look like that is going to happen.
It looks like by the time I am done with this i will end up costing a couple of grand so I was hoping those of you here that already have the rear speakers could help me out and "guide me" in this decision.
I appreciate any Guidance you could give me. I do know that they will not have the same impact as the front speakers but I was hoping that they will add to the "experience" while I am riding.
Alan

DesertHOG

• Visiting America One Road Trip at a Time
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Vivid Black Special
    • NM

• CVO1: 2011 FLTRUSE - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2015 FLTRUSE - SOLD
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXS - Vivid Black
    • Join me on Facebook
Re: Speakers in the saddlebag lids/should I?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2012, 11:31:02 PM »

I have a 12 SERGC and I really enjoy listening to the music as I ride (didn't think I would coming off a Softail where I never had it) and was thinking about adding the rear speakers and amp but not sure that I will get much out of it. I always ride alone and have seen on some of the threads here that it is really for the bsr. I do realize at very high speeds that the sound might "not catch up" to me but not sure how high those speeds are or is it at most speeds. I wish I could try a bike that already has them to see for myself but doesn't look like that is going to happen.
It looks like by the time I am done with this i will end up costing a couple of grand so I was hoping those of you here that already have the rear speakers could help me out and "guide me" in this decision.
I appreciate any Guidance you could give me. I do know that they will not have the same impact as the front speakers but I was hoping that they will add to the "experience" while I am riding.

I have a '11 SERGU with speakers in the TourPak - works great but around 75-80 mph, it starts to suffer.

I also have a '09 RG. I put the amp and the saddle bag speakers on it. Sounds great in the parking lot. Sounds great at low speeds. When I pull in for gas, everyone gets to hear my music. Around 75-80, it starts to suffer. I don't believe there is any such thing as a 100mph speaker system on a bike. You might as well use an iPod if you want good music quality at high speeds.

Just My Humble Opinion

DH

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2012, 12:24:24 AM »

I get losing it at 75-80 but what about 50-70? Would you do this if you were me?
Alan

DesertHOG

• Visiting America One Road Trip at a Time
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Vivid Black Special
    • NM

• CVO1: 2011 FLTRUSE - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2015 FLTRUSE - SOLD
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXS - Vivid Black
    • Join me on Facebook
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2012, 12:54:32 AM »

I get losing it at 75-80 but what about 50-70? Would you do this if you were me?

50-70 works. I think the TourPak mount creates an envelope of sounds whereas the saddlebag lids unless angled forward more or less push audio straight up. At 50 you might get some benefit but really more of the sound will be coming from the front. You might want to consider larger speakers of higher wattage up front and a larger amp.

DH

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2012, 12:59:38 AM »

If I do it I was planning on using the Harley pre painted lids but using a higher quality amp and speakers to keep that factory look but get better performance with the afterkmarkets. I thought I would probably upgrade at least the front speakers at that time also.the factory lids do angle towards the rider somewhat.
Alan

Crusty

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ex_Wingabego Rider & former Iron Butt riding fool

• CVO1: '09 SERG
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2012, 01:08:03 AM »

I've been looking at the Hawg Wired lids, but don't know of anyone who's tried them. Openings are forward facing, so I'm not sure if they might be better.

http://hawg-wired.com/product_info.php?cPath=60&products_id=156

I've already got the Hawg Wired 300x amp and 4 DX speakers, so adding 2 more of their speakers and a satellite amp would keep me in the same brand, but would like to hear them in person before I drop another 1K

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 Whiskey Neat road glide custom
    • CVO2: 2019 Mako Shark Fade road glide custom
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2012, 02:20:41 AM »

I have the stock set up on my '12 sg.  Not sure if it's even worth having the speakers on the bags once you reach about 60.  Seems that the sound just gets lost with all the other noise. Probably better to do the best you can with the front.  :nixweiss:

Mr John DEUFF

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2012, 06:04:54 AM »

Do the ones that go in the glove box are not more efficient for the driver?

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2012, 06:21:13 AM »

There's a guy in SoCal named Fred, he's a friend of Greg Khougaz. Fred has a SERG with a stereo that you can hear at Mach 1, and I'm  not exaggerating. I'm not sure what his set up is, but you can't hear his Thunderheader over his stereo.
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2012, 09:01:34 AM »

Now that's a system worth looking at,, :2vrolijk_21:

Sea Biscuit

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2012, 10:46:40 AM »

I dumped the Boom Audio stuff (OK in the parking lot but I was not impressed at speed) while I was in Sturgis...installed Focal KRX2 speakers with 4 channel, 500 watt Arc audio amp in the Road Glide fairing and wires run back to under the seat for saddlebag speakers.

I looked at the Harley lids and decided against them for 3 reasons:

1) You will be somewhat limited to the Boom Audio speakers unless you want to do some modifications...Harley set up the lids for their proprietary Boom speakers and other 5X7 speakers, if they will work, will require some modifications, to the lids or speakers;
2) If you are going to do it and incur the expense for lids, paint, speakers, wires, amp, labour etc., why not install 6X9 speakers in the lids...they don't take anymore space and sound much "fuller" than any 5X7 speakers;
3) Didn't like the Harley grills coming down on the front side of the lids.

So I went with the Cycle Sound lids that accommodate 6X9 speakers and putting Focals in them as well...currently the lids and grills are being painted to match the White Gold Pearl that is on my "Skunk".

So how does the fairing speakers sound now with my mods? Well, with the Boom Audio, anything over 60 mph, I had the HK head unit on max volume and either couldn't hear it or sounded like crap...now at speed the HK volume is at half and it rocks...the Focal speakers/Arc amp are loud, clean and clear!  :)

Can't wait until my saddlebag speakers are done...I may break the "sound barrier"! ;D

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

• CVO1: 2011 Slate/Black SERGU** traded
    • CVO2: 2015 Double Blue SERGU
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG Blue
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2012, 10:50:19 AM »

I dumped the Boom Audio stuff (OK in the parking lot but I was not impressed at speed) while I was in Sturgis...installed Focal KRX2 speakers with 4 channel, 500 watt Arc audio amp in the Road Glide fairing and wires run back to under the seat for saddlebag speakers.

I looked at the Harley lids and decided against them for 3 reasons:

1) You will be somewhat limited to the Boom Audio speakers unless you want to do some modifications...Harley set up the lids for their proprietary Boom speakers and other 5X7 speakers, if they will work, will require some modifications, to the lids or speakers;
2) If you are going to do it and incur the expense for lids, paint, speakers, wires, amp, labour etc., why not install 6X9 speakers in the lids...they don't take anymore space and sound much "fuller" than any 5X7 speakers;
3) Didn't like the Harley grills coming down on the front side of the lids.

So I went with the Cycle Sound lids that accommodate 6X9 speakers and putting Focals in them as well...currently the lids and grills are being painted to match the White Gold Pearl that is on my "Skunk".

So how does the fairing speakers sound now with my mods? Well, with the Boom Audio, anything over 60 mph, I had the HK head unit on max volume and either couldn't hear it or sounded like crap...now at speed the HK volume is at half and it rocks...the Focal speakers/Arc amp are loud, clean and clear!  :)

Can't wait until my saddlebag speakers are done...I may break the "sound barrier"! ;D
I need to ask, what kind of money do you have wrapped up in this? The more I think about it, the more I want to add SB lid speakers and also speakers in the lowers.
PHOTOBUCKET IS HOLDING MY PIX HOSTAGE!!!

led tail lights

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2012, 11:04:44 AM »

I just installed my HD speaker lids. Spent a ton of money getting them painted.  After all that you can't hear them on the road. It sounds awesome sitting still. But moving and with a passenger it's nothing.  For what I have into the lids I should of done a tour pack.

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2012, 12:55:04 PM »

I'm uP on the air as what to do with mine.   I wish Rich (tif2) lived closer.  I'd pay him to do a system for me.  I don't want to start changing out stuff and then I'm disappointed. Definitely not impressed with what I got.  :nixweiss:

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2012, 11:48:09 PM »

From all these replies and talking to a local shop I think I will bag the "lid" idea as I only ride alone and am looking for sound at speed.
Sea Biscuit, you are saying that there is a huge difference with changing the speakers and amp in the front but keeping the same stock look?
This might be a dumb question but are those components meant for a bike?
Alan
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Page created in 0.182 seconds with 21 queries.