Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Exhaust Question  (Read 6688 times)

delnel

• Full CVO Member
  • Just Enjoying Life!! Ride On
Exhaust Question
« on: September 11, 2009, 08:11:44 AM »

I went to my local dealer last night because he called and said he finally recieved his first SESG. It is the Concord bike and I am going to take it. I asked the service manager if the head pipes had a cat converter in it and he did not know. The question is do all SESG's have a converter in them? I have read the threads about what every one is doing for exhaust and am unsure what to do. What is working and what is coming out for them in the near future? DelNel :)
Never be afraid to do something new. Remember amateurs built the ark and professionals built the titanic

TEQUILA -aka- RED RUM

• Senior CVO Member
Re: Exhaust Question
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2009, 08:25:08 AM »

All SESG have the cat in the front  pipe.....the company's are working on a pipe...

LarryB

• Tennessee Squire
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 FLTRSE3 The Grey Ghost
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2009, 08:40:40 AM »

I went to my local dealer last night because he called and said he finally recieved his first SESG. It is the Concord bike and I am going to take it. I asked the service manager if the head pipes had a cat converter in it and he did not know. The question is do all SESG's have a converter in them? I have read the threads about what every one is doing for exhaust and am unsure what to do. What is working and what is coming out for them in the near future? DelNel :)
thats funny right there.
you'll start seeing options soon, takes a few weeks but fear not. last year most of us killed the Cat and did the Fullsac baffles. i don't think anyone is dissapointed they did
Take it Easy Greasy Cuz it's a long walk home.

Did I shave my head for this?

delnel

• Full CVO Member
  • Just Enjoying Life!! Ride On
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2009, 10:57:50 AM »

It is funny for a service manager to say something like that. He says well no body had ever asked such a thing. DelNel :o
Never be afraid to do something new. Remember amateurs built the ark and professionals built the titanic

jacksglide

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2009, 03:40:21 PM »

Sounds like this service manager should go back to playing his or her video games for a living!!!!!!!!

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2009, 04:24:09 PM »

$.02:  The 2010 SESG is really a 2009 SERG with a batwing and different wheels.  The exhaust, identical to the 09 SERG but for the relocated O2 sensors.  Assuming that is correct, the SERG owners had great success and power by cat drilling or removal and recoring mufflers.  Jim Kerr posted threads which were very helpful and had photographic instructions: 

Removing a Catalytic Converter form 09 CVO Road Glide

Installing Fullsac Baffles on 09 CVO Road Glide

The above process cost about $140 and took a couple of hours with a buddy and a couple of beers.  If you have to have a "cat free" headpipe see here:

Modifying the stock headpipe for more power!

After market head pipes and muffs....  about $900.   :nixweiss:   :nixweiss:  Note that anything that leans out these lean running engines requires a tuner and dyno.  Mod on.

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2009, 05:28:04 PM »

Sounds like this service manager should go back to playing his or her video games for a living!!!!!!!!

I doesn't take much to become the service manager in a lot of dealerships these days.  Being related to the dealer seems to be the best way to land the job, closely followed by being the deadbeat brother of the dealer's wife.  And that isn't my opinion just for Harley, auto dealerships aren't all that much better.

I remember back when each new model year led me and those like me to study every detail about the new models (I'm talking cars and trucks), so we would be fully up to date when the new vehicles went on sale.  Now you talk to dealership folks or even some factory folks and they don't have a clue about the new stuff, or even last years stuff.  It's just a job, and besides, if they really need to know some day they can always look it up (or in the case of many, just make something up).

If someone wants the straight scoop on their new product these days, and it isn't spelled out in the manual, they are more likely to get the right answer in an online forum than from their dealer.  Sad state of affairs in my opinion, and only destined to get worse.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2009, 06:21:42 PM »

I doesn't take much to become the service manager in a lot of dealerships these days.  Being related to the dealer seems to be the best way to land the job, closely followed by being the deadbeat brother of the dealer's wife.  And that isn't my opinion just for Harley, auto dealerships aren't all that much better.

I remember back when each new model year led me and those like me to study every detail about the new models (I'm talking cars and trucks), so we would be fully up to date when the new vehicles went on sale.  Now you talk to dealership folks or even some factory folks and they don't have a clue about the new stuff, or even last years stuff.  It's just a job, and besides, if they really need to know some day they can always look it up (or in the case of many, just make something up).

If someone wants the straight scoop on their new product these days, and it isn't spelled out in the manual, they are more likely to get the right answer in an online forum than from their dealer.  Sad state of affairs in my opinion, and only destined to get worse.

Jerry

:2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2009, 10:56:20 PM »

$.02:  The 2010 SESG is really a 2009 SERG with a batwing and different wheels.  The exhaust, identical to the 09 SERG but for the relocated O2 sensors.  Assuming that is correct, the SERG owners had great success and
Yeah, they're the same, except for the exhaust header placement of the heated O2 sensors, the batwing fairing, the slammed front fender, the one-piece extended saddle bags, the moustache bars, the different seat, the hydraulic rear suspension, and different wheels.  In reality the only thing they have in common is the 110 engine, 6-speed transmission, and the rear end LED strips and bag fillers.  Yeah, it's the same as the SERG.   ::)

:devil:

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2009, 11:30:21 PM »

Yeah, they're the same, except for the exhaust header placement of the heated O2 sensors, the batwing fairing, the slammed front fender, the one-piece extended saddle bags, the moustache bars, the different seat, the hydraulic rear suspension, and different wheels.  In reality the only thing they have in common is the 110 engine, 6-speed transmission, and the rear end LED strips and bag fillers.  Yeah, it's the same as the SERG.   ::)

you forgot the gas tank :) :)

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2009, 11:49:50 PM »

Well, close to the same.......SERG owners would like to think they're the same.:huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2:

Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2009, 11:51:43 PM »

It is funny for a service manager to say something like that. He says well no body had ever asked such a thing. DelNel :o

What's really funny is that he was honest with you that he didn't know.....instead of just feeding you a bunch of BS. :nixweiss:

By the way.........I got another email from Bub yesterday.  They said they'd have their exhaust systems ready for the 2010 models in mid to late Oct.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2009, 12:05:40 AM by JCZ »
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

michaelbmenaker

• Elite CVO Member
  • Ride hard, ride safe!
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2009, 11:43:20 AM »

I had Fullsac remove the cat and had the dealer install the fullsac 2.0" baffles. Then dyno tuned with a SERT. I am happy with the results, but believe the dyno tune is the key. As I posted elsewhere on this forum the AFR numbers are key. Mine are AFR was set in 250rpm increments from 1500 - 3000 rpm then in 500 rpm segments from 3000 - 5000 rpm. Target was 14.1 to 3500; 13.6 @ 4000; 13.3 at 4500 and 5000. Idle is set at 1000 rpm with an AFR of 13.9.

Attached is the dyno run chart

harleymike77

« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2009, 07:52:25 PM »

I had Fullsac remove the cat and had the dealer install the fullsac 2.0" baffles. Then dyno tuned with a SERT. I am happy with the results, but believe the dyno tune is the key. As I posted elsewhere on this forum the AFR numbers are key. Mine are AFR was set in 250rpm increments from 1500 - 3000 rpm then in 500 rpm segments from 3000 - 5000 rpm. Target was 14.1 to 3500; 13.6 @ 4000; 13.3 at 4500 and 5000. Idle is set at 1000 rpm with an AFR of 13.9.

Attached is the dyno run chart
Now THAT is EXACTLY the route I want to go!  Thanks michaelbmenaker for taking the time to post  :2vrolijk_21:

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2009, 07:55:26 PM »

Hey mike--any ETA on the bike yet???
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.189 seconds with 21 queries.