Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: How to ride two up  (Read 5209 times)

Indenial

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 SE Road Glide
    • States Riden on 2009 CVO
Re: How to ride two up
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2013, 09:11:05 PM »

My wife asks me if I'm ready before she mounts. then once she's on, I wait until she says OK until I move the bike. This allows her the time she needs to get situated and secure before I take off.  My girlfriend on the other hand just gets on and we go.
I just finished the pile of junk I needed to work on before I get to the stuff I should be doing----

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2013, 09:20:07 PM »

That's contrary to what MSF teaches but I'll buy that explanation
None of this matters anymore though. My Harley got stolen overnight. Very angry over the whole thing.
Sorry about your bike and hope you don't have any problems with the insurance company.

Regarding MSF, I have been a MSF certified rider coach for over twelve years.  Don't take everything they say as gospel.  There are several things many of us take issue with.  I don't have the authorities to present but there are several I have read over the years regarding stopping distance with and without a passenger and they don't buy in that stopping distance necessarily increases due to having a passenger on board.  I stand by what I said and firmly believe that it should not increase your stopping distance and in a maximum braking event may actually help.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

grayghost731

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Built For ME! Love My Fatboy CVO

• CVO1: FLSTFSE Platinum Mist&Slate 102.81 HP 113.47 Torque
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2013, 09:29:03 PM »

My wife asks me if I'm ready before she mounts. then once she's on, I wait until she says OK until I move the bike. This allows her the time she needs to get situated and secure before I take off.  My girlfriend on the other hand just gets on and we go.

NICE!  :huepfenlol2:   

red ben59

• 1K CVO Member
  • ALL GAVE SOME SOME GAVE ALL
    • NC

• CVO1: 08 FXDSE2
    • CVO2: 09 FLHTCUSE4
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCUSE8
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2013, 09:32:06 PM »

I don't have any good advice. With that many miles under your belt you'll be fine. To me when your stopping, dismounting, loading and going slow is when you need to be the most focused ( two up ). My wife's been behind me 36 years don't know she's there. Just get her to be neutral NO leaning and feet stay UP  ::)

BigLew55

• Elite CVO Member
    • IA

« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2013, 09:34:19 PM »

I ALWAYS tell my passengers...

Nobody rides for free!
 :D ;D :coolblue: :oops: :nixweiss: :drink: :drink: :drink:

Someone had to say it!
Big Lew
IBA #595

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2013, 09:37:50 PM »

Have her look over the SHOULDER in the direction of the curve, but not move her body from the backrest at any time.  Mounting and dismounting is a given...I just look at her and nod when I'm ready for her to get on board...not that I HAVE a board at 61 years old, but I give it my best... :drink: :drink: ;)  Just have her keep as much of her body as possible as close to the bike as possible, and don't kick the saddlebags!! :nervous:
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

dlaws01

• 1K CVO Member
  • Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulltion

• CVO1: 105th Anniversary FXSTSSE2
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2013, 01:09:20 PM »

When riding two up, make sure you are in the front.   :huepfenjump3:
Jesus is Lord

ultrarider123

« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2013, 01:22:28 PM »

My wife asks me if I'm ready before she mounts. then once she's on, I wait until she says OK until I move the bike. This allows her the time she needs to get situated and secure before I take off

X2 on that.  :2vrolijk_21:

When riding two up, make sure you are in the front.   :huepfenjump3:

Glad I didn't have a mouth full of coffee/water when I read that.....now THAT'S funny rat dare... :zroflmao:

lowflight

• Senior CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 2013 SERG
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2013, 01:57:17 PM »

Don’t over think it. It really isn’t all that difficult! As others have said talk about the ride before hand. I always give my passengers a standard brief before the ride starts: no getting off or on with us talking first, don’t grab my arms or shoulders, sit back be a sack of potatoes and enjoy the ride. The sack of potatoes thing always draws a comment and then leads to a discussion on don’t lean this way and that, let me do the driving or you will screw me up when you decide half way through a corner that we should either lean more or less and throw yourself one way or another – then we crash. You won’t have any issues with your experience, enjoy!

D-N-D

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • PA

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTKSE Limited / Moonlight Blue & Deep Sea Blue
« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2013, 02:23:27 PM »

Your bike got stolen where was the old lady when this happen, she may not wanted to ride two up ??? only kidding sorry to here this hope it all works out for you.
DND

KenK

« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2013, 02:48:00 PM »

Find an empty parking lot and practice. Practice getting on, getting off, starting and stopping. Practice slow speed work. Learn to use the rear brake at slow speeds. Again,...learn to use the rear brake at slow speed. Too much front brake with the bike slightly leaned over or the bars slightly turned may result in a dump.

With a passenger the basics become critical. Good head turns, eye placement, posture, all of that becomes magnified. Remember that stopping distances are reduced, and maybe clearance in corners due to the weight.

I can't say it enough,...practice.

+1 on using more rear brake at slow speeds or when coming to a stop....that almost got me

HogBreath

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2009 cvo roadglide
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO StreetKing
« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2013, 02:48:25 PM »

If you had a sidecar, you could take the wife and the girlfriend at the same time.

Wait, what was I thinking?
It's not the destination. It's the Journey.

HDultraDad

• Full CVO Member
  • '12 CVO SE Ultra

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE7
« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2013, 03:10:38 PM »

Some of this is a recap of what others have said but thought it would be good to bullet them:
   - TCLOCS (always and especially with a rider): Tires, Cables, Lights, Oils, Chassis and Stand.
   - Suspension adjustment for additional weight (this is huge)
   - Wide stance with feet, and good grip on handlebar
   - If you have a backrest that bends forward, bending it forward under your butt is not only a courtesy but makes the it easier on the rider (hate to see  someone trip on it and go over)
   - have rider step up on the bike like going up a set of stairs which means they lean into the step and not try to pull the bike to them.  If they do it right, you will not feel much shift as their body will quickly transition to the center of the bike.
   - Make sure rider looks over your shoulder in the direction of the turn/curve.  DO NOT have them move or shift.  Just a casual peek over the should is enough
   - With the additional weight, is is imperative when entering a turn/curve to slow before the turn, look at your exit point and roll up on the throttle through the turn/curve. (just ask the scraped up riders who did not heed this advice on the Tail of the Dragon - 318 curves in 11 miles)
   - Work the friction zone with the clutch and give it a bit more throttle on very slow riding IE parking lots and u-turns.
   - Lastly, have fun!
SE Race Tuner,
CFR's,
Blacked out Day Maker LED's,
A couple of other upgrades,
What else is needed on a CVO?  Just knees in the breeze!

dayne66

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • BC

• CVO1: '12 Ruby/Typhoon SG
    • CVO2: '15 Superior Blue FLD Switchback
« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2013, 03:21:30 PM »

My wife asks me if I'm ready before she mounts.
My wife can tell if I'm ready to mount!
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." Socrates
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.154 seconds with 25 queries.