Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: How to ride two up  (Read 5221 times)

PassMeABeer

How to ride two up
« on: July 30, 2013, 12:03:01 AM »

Good evening. My name is Kent, and I own a very nice FLHTCUSE 8 CVO. I've amassed about 100,000 miles and consider myself to be a pretty good rider. My wife has decided she wants to go motorcycle riding with me. I have never rode with a passenger and I need some advice. How do I ride with a passenger? Is it any different than solo riding? How do I make sure not to drop the bike when she gets on? I am a confident person, but thinking about this, I am nervous.

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
Re: How to ride two up
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2013, 12:12:09 AM »

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

PassMeABeer

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2013, 12:20:34 AM »

Riding With A Passenger - Motorcycle Safety Foundation

Thank you. Doesn't quite answer my questions, but it is a good reminder anyhow.

GregKhougaz

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2013, 12:44:20 AM »

I thought that might be a good start. For you, it is very much the same when you're moving. You have to be ready for the passenger to get on and off. Thus, tell them ahead of time they should not get on or off the bike unless you have acknowledged they are about to do so.  Make sure your feet are well placed.  Remind the passenger they should stay behind you at all times. If you lean left, they must not lean right.  Tell them to watch the road so they are not surprised by bumps. That will protect their back. I invite passengers to point out any car they think might be a danger.  But that "look out" is not helpful.

You must make sure not to get your feet or legs caught up with the passenger floorboard or pegs.  No walking as the bike moves.  Ask the passenger to stay relatively still when you are stopped at a light or stop sign.  That is when you are the most at risk of dropping the bike.

I'm sure there is more but that is what comes to mind at the moment.

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '01 FXDWG2 RED 103 6sp
    • CVO2: '05 FLHTCSE2 CHERRY
    • CVO3: '09 FLTRSE3 YELLOW 117/DD7
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2013, 01:12:31 AM »

One of the things I recommend is for you and especially your passenger, to get on the bike the same way, from the same side every time, so that it becomes automatic for the both of you.

I have also taught 'The Ball & Chain' that if she feels the need to grab me, for an unexpected bump or to balance herself, to learn to grab my hips and not my shoulders, so that she is not hindering my steering inputs.

That she allows the bike to move underneath her rather than leaning one way or another works for the both of us, even at the Tail.

Also you want her to get on/off the bike without dinging up the saddlebags/side covers.

Mine was easy, as she has been on/around bikes for a good part of her life.

There are very few things in life as enjoyable as taking your girl for a spin on your Harley...
"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2013, 09:41:02 AM »

Find an empty parking lot and practice. Practice getting on, getting off, starting and stopping. Practice slow speed work. Learn to use the rear brake at slow speeds. Again,...learn to use the rear brake at slow speed. Too much front brake with the bike slightly leaned over or the bars slightly turned may result in a dump.

With a passenger the basics become critical. Good head turns, eye placement, posture, all of that becomes magnified. Remember that stopping distances are reduced, and maybe clearance in corners due to the weight.

I can't say it enough,...practice.

"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

ozrider

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE7
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2013, 10:24:29 AM »

I usually make sure that I've got the bike straight upright with both feet firmly on the ground and a firm grip.

Most pillions mount from the left side, so I spose if you have concerns you could leave the side stand down untill pillion has mounted and is steady, just in case they pull instead of climb.

Left foot on the foot board and climb up, Not left foot on the board and pull over !

Good riding my friend, sharing a ride with your girl can be most enjoyable and rewarding.

Win Lotto, Go back to Sturgis,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Never go home!

PassMeABeer

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2013, 11:20:41 AM »

With a passenger the basics become critical. Good head turns, eye placement, posture, all of that becomes magnified. Remember that stopping distances are reduced, and maybe clearance in corners due to the weight.

Check your facts. With a passenger, stopping distances will increase not decrease, due to the added weight.

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2013, 11:27:49 AM »

If in a maximum braking event the added weight of the passenger actually helps as it is over the rear wheel it will give more traction and allow greater braking g force on the rear before the wheel locks up.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

PassMeABeer

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2013, 11:34:48 AM »

If in a maximum braking event the added weight of the passenger actually helps as it is over the rear wheel it will give more traction and allow greater braking g force on the rear before the wheel locks up.

That's contrary to what MSF teaches but I'll buy that explanation
None of this matters anymore though. My Harley got stolen overnight. Very angry over the whole thing.

chaos901

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2000 SE Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2008 SEUC3
    • CVO3: 2010 SEUC5
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2013, 11:47:21 AM »

I agree with some of the earlier comments and I ride two up almost all the time. 

When moving there really is not an appreciable difference, the only problems I have ever encountered are when they get on or off. 

LovemyCVOgirl

• Four wheels move the body.... Two wheels move the soul.
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Give me a switchback any day!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
    • CVO2: 2015 Toyota Tundra 4X4 SR5 TRD 5.7L V8
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2013, 11:56:26 AM »

That's contrary to what MSF teaches but I'll buy that explanation
None of this matters anymore though. My Harley got stolen overnight. Very angry over the whole thing.

Your Harley got stolen.  :nixweiss: :'( :o. WOW!  So sorry to hear this.., keep us posted on the details.
Some days you're a bug, some days you're a windshield.

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2013, 12:07:34 PM »

Check your facts. With a passenger, stopping distances will increase not decrease, due to the added weight.

You're right, my lysdexia must have kicked in, I got that all wrong. Good catch, thanks!
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

GregKhougaz

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2013, 12:12:42 PM »

Kent,  Very sorry to read your bike was stolen!    :nervous:   That truely s*cks.    >:(    I hope you have good insurance.  Maybe you will be able to get something you like even more if that's possible.

GK

Sawyer Brown

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2013, 12:54:04 PM »

My BSR has been on the back for 30 years so I don't think about it. But I can tell you if you have long legs you can plant your feet better but I don't have that luxury so I have to pay attention on the mount and dismount as sometimes I am balancing us both on my toes. I was just reminded she has never scuffed the top of the saddle bags.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.162 seconds with 20 queries.